Start by marking “The Winter King (Weathermages of Mystral, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Winter King (Weathermages of Mystral, #1)

The Winter King (Weathermages of Mystral #1)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  1,836 ratings  ·  283 reviews
Wynter Atrialan, the Winter King, once lived in peace with his southern, Summerlander neighbors, but when the prince of Summerlea steals Wynter’s bride and murders his young brother, Wynter calls upon a dangerous Wintercraig magic called the Ice Heart and marches against Summerlea.

After three bitter years of battle, a victorious Wynter arrives at Summerlea’s royal palace t
Mass Market Paperback, 608 pages
Published July 29th 2014 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about The Winter King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Winter King

Jessica (Rabid Reads)
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

C.L. Wilson writes Fantasy Romance like nobody’s business.

I discovered Wilson’s Tairen Soul series a little over a year ago through a Goodreads’ recommendation, and I read all five books in five days.

All five books. In five days.

And they weren’t filler books either. They were all 400(ish) page FANTASY books.

When I finished my reading binge, I was glad to see that another book was in the works—The Winter King (this book), and I’ve had it on my watchlist since January of la
Sage
Aug 12, 2014 Sage added it
Oh my God yes! I must read this book, I want more CL Wilson! But I wish she'd make another Tairen Soul book! One with Gaelen and Bel and Kiel and Kieran!!
Georgia ♥ Team Dex ♥
5 Fairytale Stars

description

I love you more than the sunrise. More than laughter. More than song [...] I love you more than any man in the history of Mystral ever loved...

description

Love, warlords, magic, strange lands, lies, loyalties, family, heartbreak. C L Wilson weaves a fantastic tale that has your soul sighing and you eyes teary. I absolutely adore her books and I can't wait for more!

Yodamom
I tried to think of a way to review this book I tried and failed. How do you review something that left your heart thumping, your brow sweating, and your soul singing ? There are no words worthy of this feeling. I loved this book, I loved the world, the characters and even the villains. I hated the villains one completely, true unwavering hate for a certain father figure. It was so nice to have a completely evil force to focus on without those wavering good deeds mixed in. Do not judge this book ...more
Kristalia
Final rating: ★★★★★/★★★★★

“I love you more than the sunrise. More than laughter. More than song...”

Magic and Kingdoms; War and Peace; Lightning and Ice; Love and Hate; Legends that might as well be true.Summer and Winter shall unite to stop the war: Storm and Ice - Khamsin and Wynter.

Neither of them are perfect :

♦♦♦ Khamsin : strong, dependable, quick temper, reckless, brave, but broken. Princess forced to marry the King of the country who won the war.

♦♦♦ Wynter: smart, dependable, respecte
Silvana -SLiTsRead
Oct 24, 2014 Silvana -SLiTsRead rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Silvana by: Ash
4.5 Stars

This book is a clear example of why you should never judge the book by its cover; hate the cover, adore the story.

description

I admit looking at this book and wanting to give it a pass, I’m glad I didn’t. This is one story that I will reread again and again, a great example why we shouldn’t judge a book by its cover; the words, the plot and the characters were something I’m glad that I got to read and experience, nothing but pure joy.

description

The book was long, yet not once did I feel it was overdrawn. It
Robin (Bridge Four)
Finally!!! A great Adult High Fantasy with both a wonderful romance and fantastic plot/world this is two of my favorite genre’s combined.

The Story - Wynter the king of Wintercraig was betrayed by his fiancé and the Falcon the Prince of Summerlea. Wynter in his sadness took in a powerful magic that could destroy him and plunged both countries into war. Now three years later he has won the war but may have lost his heart and soul to the ancient power he used to do it. He has one chance, the birth
Kira
This was even better than expected; guess I forgot how much I love CL Wilson. I will be reviewing this soon, but in a nutshell: look past the hideous cheeseball cover, this one's more than a fluffy romance. A little long winded and drawn out in parts, but if I had to choose between a book that drags a little but tells the full story, and a book that's too short and doesn't develop the plot or the characters enough, I will pick the long way every time. I really liked it.
 ❀ Minesha ❀

“Well, princess,” Wynter murmured, “let’s see what you’re made of."

12 May 2014 Update: Win an arc on CL Wilson's website (Click blog)!

17 April 2014 Update: 600 pages of pure goodness ! Woo hoo ! The book is going to be so so long which means it is going to be one sweet long ride. * Sigh * Don't you just love fantasy romance ? 600 pages means its going to be a proper story- well drawn out, not abrupt and quick-quick romances!

Read the excerpt here!

19th December 2013 update

Oh boy! Check out th
Elise
My casting:

(Just picture them a few years younger ;))
“Well, princess,” Wynter murmured, “let’s see what you’re made of.”

OMG!! I cannot believe that I waited so freaking long to read this book! I seriously loved it! It was long, yes, and hard to read with all the information, but damn, it was worth it!! The whole story was well written and the characters was perfect! C.L. Wilson is pretty brilliant to come up with this world of fantasy, I must say... Roland's sword, The Ice Heart, Storm.. It
Lyndi
Disappointing. That's the best word I can come up with to describe my feelings towards this book. I expected something epic and fantastical, in the same vein as the Tairen Soul series. What I got was... not that.

The plot is great - that's the saving grace here. The characters are shit. I hated the heroine. I hated the hero. I hated all the various villains. I even hated the secondary characters that only had a few lines. They were all shitty people that do shitty things and it was just shit. SHI
Leila
***REVIEW UPDATE: August 5, 2014***

I just finished reading THE WINTER KING!!! Oh, my! What a story!!!
The author succeeded again to re-invent a magnificent and brilliant fairy tale for adults!
C.L. Wilson truly delivers once again!! More than 600 pages of golden treasure kept me reading and reading, and reading until in the early morning! This novel is a real pageturner and double worth every penny!

Weathermages, a magical world of ever-changing seasons, the promise of war, a complex in-depth story
Sharon ✽ is an emotional book junkie ✽

FINALLY!!! August 2014....but im not holding my breath!
Ash
*****4.5 Winter Frost Stars*****

“description"/

Once upon a time in a land far far away there was the tale of "The Winter King" which served like Chicken Soup for my romantic fantasy soul. TWK filled me with its bold writing, special romantic ingredients and hearty storyline . It warmed me from head to toe and left me fully satisfied, so why am craving more? I'm a glutton for a delicious story, that's why.

Wynter
All it took was reading thesynopsis-Ice Heart, victorious, cold, bitter…Instantaneous lust! It’s a pe
Tina
I read this author's Tairen Soul series up through the third book. While I enjoyed the first two books of the series, my enthusiasm waned during the third book. I never completed the series because I found the pacing to be somewhat glacial and the villain to be rather uninspired.

Still I liked the writer's voice and was glad to see that she had written a new book completely separate from that other series.

The plot of the book is very familiar. Two kingdoms, Summerlea and Wintercraig, are at war a
Alyssa
***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

The Winter King by C.L. Wilson
Publisher: Avon
Publication Date: July 29, 2014
Rating: 5 stars
Source: eARC from Edelweiss

***Warning: this is an adult book, and for the eyes of mature readers***

Summary (from Goodreads):

Farrah
An absolutely amazing, stunning, delight of a read, The Winter King was a fantastic fantasy romance. I LOVED this book! With magic, betrayals, secrets, and surprises, this book was brilliant. Loved it!

Khamsin was a wonderful heroine. She was extremely strong and fiercely independent. She dealt with her father's abuse and still came out strong and determined to live happily in spite of him. She was very loyal to those she loved and, honestly, a total badass in general. I really liked her. She was
Mallory
4 stars

This was actually really good. It was slow at first, but once it picked up it kept me glued to the pages. I will say that I skimmed a bit when it would go into the history of the feud and all the Ice King stuff. But overall I really enjoyed this. I'll definitely read more from C.L. Wilson.
Aalia Khan Yousafzai
EDIT UPON FINISHING IT ON 6th August, 2014

She knew when the forces of Winter and Summer clashed, either in nature on in the battlefield, sparks had a tendency to fly.

Wow, what a breathtaking experience! Hats off to C.L Wilson for creating yet another magical land with a magical story that gripped my heart like a vice. After I was done with three quarters of the book, I could not stop reading!

First of all, the world created in The Winter King is marvellous. Yes, it's a mythical land, with mythi
Ya~
Book moments: #ffs.wtf.wth.grrr.urg.rage.rme#

Having read Tairen Soul series in one setting, I am certainly curious about this new book. (minus that bookcover!) The Winter King is a great pick for anyone who is new to Wilson's works. It is stand-alone:)

Great heroine.
3-stars hero.
The villains in this book disgust me.
Magical World building

Minor issues I have:
Rushed ending. Some parts in the middle drag out.

This 600-pages novel is packed with magic, angst, suspense, distrust, awesome fighting sce
Ren
3,5 stars

Well...:/

C.L.Wilson is not a new writer to me. I really love her Tairen Soul series (even just read 2 of her books) because the book take fantasy romance in a whole new level. That's why I have a VERY HIGH exceptation for The Winter King, especially this is the first book Wilson write after she had a long hiatus. Sadly, this one didn't exceed my expectation even I won't said that The Winter King is bad. Nope, not bad. I just a little bit disappointed.

The reason why I love Tairen Soul is
Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms)
I have waited so long for another book by this author since she wrote my favorite fantasy series of all (and I read a lot of fantasy), The Tairen Soul series. I had hoped she would do a spinoff and keep me in that world, but was glad to get another story even if it was a different world. I wanted to love this but but just could not. I feel disloyal for some reason to an author I have enjoyed so much, but this is a far different book than the others. Had it not been this author I don’t think I wo ...more
Julia's Book Haven
Absolutely amazing! When I finished this book, I looked around and was completely surprised that I actually wasn't in this world. C.L. Wilson does an amazing job on surrounding you with this unique world and making it real. Can not wait for the next book! Highly recommend this one!!
Nadia
I didn't like this book because:

·Khamsin and Wynter,
·the main characters never really talked, so they could get to know each other, to find something else to fall in love with besides amazing skill in the bedroom,
·corny conversations in the end,
·cheesy plot,
·Khamsin's purpose as a baby-making machine,
·Wynter's distrust of Khamsin even after she saved his ass time and time again,
·insta-lust,
·insta-love,
·it's about 300 pages too long,
·even though it's easy to read, the story is drawn out waaaa
Raquel
~4.5~

This was really good!!

Great story with a good mixture of fantasy, romance.

Review to come!
Iliada
This is a wonderful fairytale! The first half reminded me of old school romances with all the things I love about them, but, thankfully, without the violence and the rapes. This part was pure romance and the fantasy only takes center-stage in the second half of the book. I have to say that C.L. Wilson handled it all very nicely. I never felt lost or that I can't understand what's going on as it sometimes happens in fantasy books. The plot flowed smoothly without leaving much room for questions. ...more
Anya

C.L. Wilson is just incomparable. Her writing style is so vivid you could almost see the scenery, hear the battles, feel the coldness of the terrain and the warmth of the characters.

I've been in a rut and was craving for an epic fantasy romance book and I was having a really hard time finding good ones. So when I saw that she has this new book out I got really excited.

Every word was riveting and this book being really long, that's saying something. I never once lost interest, I never got bored,
Mary
Oh, yes. Yesyesyes. I LURVED this book! It's like the best of the old-school style romance, the kind of romance that made me a massive fan of the genre in the first place. The 80's-style cover just adds to the whole ambiance.
Jackie
I'd heard good things about C.L. Wilson, and I love me a good epic fantasy novel. But I have to say that THE WINTER KING turned out to be a big disappointment. To wit:

• Our heroine, Khamsin, is a spoiled, annoying brat. We are meant to feel sorry for her, because her father hates her for having accidentally killed her mother/his wife when she was only three, and keeps her isolated in the castle. But I couldn't get interested in her as a character, because she seemed so immature/unheroic.

• Not ju
Mara
Oh, well. I guess I expected too much. I did expect mature, grown-up people, or simply characters with something resembling depth. Alas, it was not to be. At the end, this book is "merely" a romance, so who cares for a few details...

Ok, sorry, that's unfair. It's my crankiness coming to the fore. :) But I really wanted to love this book, while at the end my rating is a mix for the good beginning and the god-when-does-it-end... end.

What I loved. The idea, the magical world, and yes some of the r
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 05, 2015 08:59AM
  • Warlord  (Chronicles of the Warlands, #3)
  • Entreat Me
  • The Fire Prince (The Cursed Kingdoms, #2)
  • The Battle Sylph (Sylph, #1)
  • Shielder (Shielder, #1)
  • The Fire Lord's Lover (The Elven Lords, #1)
  • Vengeance Born (The Light Blade, #1)
  • The Copeland Bride
  • My Lady Mage (Warriors of the Mist, #1)
  • The Golden Dynasty (Fantasyland, #2)
  • Caller of Light
  • The Mark of the Tala (Twelve Kingdoms, #1)
  • Bitter Spirits (Roaring Twenties, #1)
  • Burn for Me (Hidden Legacy, #1)
  • Prince's Fire (Hearts and Thrones, #3)
  • Moonglow (Darkest London, #2)
  • Princess of the Sword (Nine Kingdoms, #3)
C.L. Wilsons unique blend of pulse-pounding action, sweeping epic fantasy, and passionate romance has made her books a favorite read for romance and fantasy readers alike. Praised for exceptional worldbuilding and lyric prose, her critically acclaimed novels have regularly appeared on bestseller lists including the USA Today, the New York Times, and Publishers Weekly.

C.Ls novels have won numerous
More about C.L. Wilson...

Weathermages of Mystral (2 books)
  • The Sea King (Weathermages of Mystral, #2)
Lord of the Fading Lands (Tairen Soul, #1) Lady of Light and Shadows (Tairen Soul, #2) King of Sword and Sky (Tairen Soul, #3) Queen of Song and Souls (Tairen Soul, #4) Crown of Crystal Flame (Tairen Soul, #5)

“Your father thought he scored a victory over me when he tricked me into marrying you instead of one of your sisters, but he unwittingly gave me the one daughter I wanted most.” 4 likes
“I will not share you." Still holding his gaze, she drove her body down onto his. Tiny threads of lightning danced over his skin in a shocking web of blue-white light. He gave a choked cry. His spine arched. His buttocks clenched tight. The tendons in his neck stood out like cords of steel. His hips surged again, powerfully, rising up to meet her downward slide. She felt the shock of it to her bones.
"I will not share," she cried out fiercely, one final time as both of them shattered.”
3 likes