Start by marking “The Winter King (Weathermages of Mystral, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Winter King (Weathermages of Mystral, #1)

The Winter King (Weathermages of Mystral #1)

4.14  ·  Rating Details ·  6,333 Ratings  ·  637 Reviews
After three long years of war, starkly handsome Wynter Atrialan will have his vengeance on Summerlea's king by taking one of the man's beautiful, beloved daughters as his bride. But though peace is finally at hand, Wynter's battle with the Ice Heart, the dread power he embraced to avenge his brother's death, rages on.

Khamsin Coruscate, Princess of Summerlea and summoner of
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published July 29th 2014 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about The Winter King, please sign up.

Keira
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

C.L. Wilson writes Fantasy Romance like nobody’s business.

I discovered Wilson’s Tairen Soul series a little over a year ago through a Goodreads’ recommendation, and I read all five books in five days.

All five books. In five days.

And they weren’t filler books either. They were all 400(ish) page FANTASY books.

When I finished my reading binge, I was glad to see that another book was in the works—The Winter King (this book), and I’ve had it on my watchlist since January of la
Sage
Jul 29, 2011 Sage added it
Oh my God yes! I must read this book, I want more CL Wilson! But I wish she'd make another Tairen Soul book! One with Gaelen and Bel and Kiel and Kieran!!
Georgia ♥ Team Dex ♥
5 Fairytale Stars

description

I love you more than the sunrise. More than laughter. More than song [...] I love you more than any man in the history of Mystral ever loved...

description

Love, warlords, magic, strange lands, lies, loyalties, family, heartbreak. C L Wilson weaves a fantastic tale that has your soul sighing and you eyes teary. I absolutely adore her books and I can't wait for more!

Aisling Zena

Re-read 28/12/2015

5 stars

Do not let the 80s, slightly Fabionesque, cover of this book fool you! We tend to categorise now based on the cover, if it's urban fantasy it's usually a badass woman with some sort of weapon, if it's shifters you have an animal mixed in with the people and so on.

For me this is the kind of book you can't class based on cover. You think you're getting a historical romance with a shot of magic featuring a silly heroine and a wishy-washy knight in shiny armor. Well, you don
Ashley
Jun 23, 2016 Ashley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Holy shit. Quite possibly the best book I've ever read.

To be honest, I probably never would have chosen this book had I stumbled upon it on my own. The cover just doesn't look or feel like the kind of book I'd enjoy. (It looks like some sort of cheesy, soap opera historical romance?) But I decided to pick it up because someone recommended this book to fans of A Promise of Fire and I ADORED that book so I bought this one without question.

I think I loved this even more.

The Winter King was everythi
Bindi Boo
5 absolute brilliant stars

An AMAZING historical, paranormal romance with SO MUCH action, drama and feels. This book was just what i needed to get out of my book slump. It made my gut twist, it made me smile and most of all, it made me FEEL! The chemistry between the main characters was just out of this world and i especially loved how they eventually start trusting each other despite being enemies and having lingering doubts. The heroine had balls of steel and an unmatched wit, my favourite kind
Yodamom
I tried to think of a way to review this book I tried and failed. How do you review something that left your heart thumping, your brow sweating, and your soul singing ? There are no words worthy of this feeling. I loved this book, I loved the world, the characters and even the villains. I hated the villains one completely, true unwavering hate for a certain father figure. It was so nice to have a completely evil force to focus on without those wavering good deeds mixed in. Do not judge this book ...more
Kristalia
Final rating: 5/5 stars

“I love you more than the sunrise. More than laughter. More than song...”

Magic and Kingdoms; War and Peace; Lightning and Ice; Love and Hate; Legends that might as well be true.Summer and Winter shall unite to stop the war: Storm and Ice - Khamsin and Wynter.

Neither of them are perfect :

♦♦♦ Khamsin : strong, dependable, quick temper, reckless, brave, but broken. Princess forced to marry the King of the country who won the war.

♦♦♦ Wynter: smart, dependable, respec
Lyndi
Sep 10, 2013 Lyndi rated it liked it
Shelves: heroine-ruins-it
Disappointing. That's the best word I can come up with to describe my feelings towards this book. I expected something epic and fantastical, in the same vein as the Tairen Soul series. What I got was... not that.

The plot is great - that's the saving grace here. The characters are shit. I hated the heroine. I hated the hero. I hated all the various villains. I even hated the secondary characters that only had a few lines. They were all shitty people that do shitty things and it was just shit. SHI
Robin (Bridge Four)
Finally!!! A great Adult High Fantasy with both a wonderful romance and fantastic plot/world this is two of my favorite genre’s combined.

The Story - Wynter the king of Wintercraig was betrayed by his fiancé and the Falcon the Prince of Summerlea. Wynter in his sadness took in a powerful magic that could destroy him and plunged both countries into war. Now three years later he has won the war but may have lost his heart and soul to the ancient power he used to do it. He has one chance, the birth
Silvana
Sep 27, 2014 Silvana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Silvana by: Ash
4.5 Stars

This book is a clear example of why you should never judge the book by its cover; hate the cover, adore the story.

description

I admit looking at this book and wanting to give it a pass, I’m glad I didn’t. This is one story that I will reread again and again, a great example why we shouldn’t judge a book by its cover; the words, the plot and the characters were something I’m glad that I got to read and experience, nothing but pure joy.

description

The book was long, yet not once did I feel it was overdrawn. It
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
4.5 Summerlass Stars

And this author does it again...she writes another book that I carry with me while cooking, cleaning, working just about anything.

Even though I found Wyn to be annoying at times with his doubtful thoughts and paranoia, this story won me over.

Storm is a perfect heroine and I have to reiterate that Ms. Lewis' female characters are TO DIE FOR.

I don't think she could write a better lead than her females....perfect in every way.

This story will take you on a journey of the beautifu
Tina
Jul 10, 2013 Tina rated it liked it
I read this author's Tairen Soul series up through the third book. While I enjoyed the first two books of the series, my enthusiasm waned during the third book. I never completed the series because I found the pacing to be somewhat glacial and the villain to be rather uninspired.

Still I liked the writer's voice and was glad to see that she had written a new book completely separate from that other series.

The plot of the book is very familiar. Two kingdoms, Summerlea and Wintercraig, are at war a
 ❀ Minesha ❀

“Well, princess,” Wynter murmured, “let’s see what you’re made of."

12 May 2014 Update: Win an arc on CL Wilson's website (Click blog)!

17 April 2014 Update: 600 pages of pure goodness ! Woo hoo ! The book is going to be so so long which means it is going to be one sweet long ride. * Sigh * Don't you just love fantasy romance ? 600 pages means its going to be a proper story- well drawn out, not abrupt and quick-quick romances!

Read the excerpt here!

19th December 2013 update

Oh boy! Check out t
Nicklein Mae
Jan 24, 2017 Nicklein Mae rated it it was amazing
"Your father thought he scored a victory over me when he tricked me into marrying you instead of one of your sisters, but he unwittingly gave me the one daughter I wanted most.”

When a book made you cry ugly tears in the prologue, you know it's gonna be epic.

And it was!

I seriously adored this book. Everything about it was worth my time.

This is an adult fantasy romance and, I'm not gonna lie, it's particularly heavy on romance so if you're not a big fan of that, stay away from this one. The magi
Tanya
Oct 29, 2016 Tanya rated it it was amazing
5 FANTASTIC FAIRYTALE STARS!!! By far one of the best books I've ever read!!! It had everything!!! EVERYTHING!!! This book would be a phenomena of epic proportions if it weren't for the cheesy cover. I'm sure of it!!! Dare I say this book is better than Game of Thrones??! C.L. Wilson is genius!!!! I want the TV series, the movie, play, something. Lol. I can't wait for the next book in this series.
Izy
Jul 07, 2013 Izy rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed C. L. Wilson’s Fading lands/ Tairen Soul Series books so it was no brainer that when I saw this, I immediately wanted to read it. It’s a decision I certainly do not regret.

This is the story of Khamsin Coruscate, Princess of Summerlea and Wynter Atrialan, the King of Wintercraig.

Khamsin is the youngest daughter of King Verdan of Summerlea, forced to hide not only her status as a princess but unwanted from her father, she is left alone to her devices. She loved her brother very mu
Leila
***REVIEW UPDATE: August 5, 2014***

I just finished reading THE WINTER KING!!! Oh, my! What a story!!!
The author succeeded again to re-invent a magnificent and brilliant fairy tale for adults!
C.L. Wilson truly delivers once again!! More than 600 pages of golden treasure kept me reading and reading, and reading until in the early morning! This novel is a real pageturner and double worth every penny!

Weathermages, a magical world of ever-changing seasons, the promise of war, a complex in-depth story
Julia's Book Haven
Absolutely amazing! When I finished this book, I looked around and was completely surprised that I actually wasn't in this world. C.L. Wilson does an amazing job of surrounding you with this unique world and making it real. Can not wait for the next book! Highly recommend this one!!
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
My casting:

(Just picture them a few years younger ;))
“Well, princess,” Wynter murmured, “let’s see what you’re made of.”

OMG!! I cannot believe that I waited so freaking long to read this book! I seriously loved it! It was long, yes, and hard to read with all the information, but damn, it was worth it!! The whole story was well written and the characters was perfect! C.L. Wilson is pretty brilliant to come up with this world of fantasy, I must say... Roland's sword, The Ice Heart, Storm.. It
Nadia
I didn't like this book because:

·Khamsin and Wynter,
·the main characters never really talked, so they could get to know each other, to find something else to fall in love with besides amazing skill in the bedroom,
·corny conversations in the end,
·cheesy plot,
·Khamsin's purpose as a baby-making machine,
·Wynter's distrust of Khamsin even after she saved his ass time and time again,
·insta-lust,
·insta-love,
·it's about 300 pages too long,
·even though it's easy to read, the story is drawn out waaaa
Alyssa
Jul 04, 2014 Alyssa rated it it was amazing
***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

The Winter King by C.L. Wilson
Publisher: Avon
Publication Date: July 29, 2014
Rating: 5 stars
Source: eARC from Edelweiss

***Warning: this is an adult book, and for the eyes of mature readers***

Summary (from Goodreads):

Wynter Atrialan, the Winter King, once lived in peace with his southern, Summerlander neighbors, but when the prince of Summerlea steals Wynter’s bride and murders his young brother, Wynter calls upon a dangerous Wintercraig magic called
Aalia Khan Yousafzai
EDIT UPON FINISHING IT ON 6th August, 2014

She knew when the forces of Winter and Summer clashed, either in nature on in the battlefield, sparks had a tendency to fly.

Wow, what a breathtaking experience! Hats off to C.L Wilson for creating yet another magical land with a magical story that gripped my heart like a vice. After I was done with three quarters of the book, I could not stop reading!

First of all, the world created in The Winter King is marvellous. Yes, it's a mythical land, with mythi
Alexa
Dec 22, 2015 Alexa rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
I’m not going to lie to you; I’ve read this twice this past year. TWICE. And I’m still not 100% sure if I like it or not. So I’m just going to list random things I liked and disliked and hopefully that will explain things a bit more:

- I hate the main character’s name. The ‘Winter King’, heir to ‘Wintercraig’, a place where there’s a lot of snow, is called… Wynter. WYNTER? SERIOUSLY?? I think someone should give all authors a book of baby names.

- I really like the background, the world and the
Ash
*****4.5 Winter Frost Stars*****

“description"/

Once upon a time in a land far far away there was the tale of "The Winter King" which served like Chicken Soup for my romantic fantasy soul. TWK filled me with its bold writing, special romantic ingredients and hearty storyline . It warmed me from head to toe and left me fully satisfied, so why am craving more? I'm a glutton for a delicious story, that's why.

Wynter
All it took was reading the synopsis-Ice Heart, victorious, cold, bitter…Instantaneous lust! It’s a p
Farrah
Apr 27, 2014 Farrah rated it it was amazing
An absolutely amazing, stunning, delight of a read, The Winter King was a fantastic fantasy romance. I LOVED this book! With magic, betrayals, secrets, and surprises, this book was brilliant. Loved it!

Khamsin was a wonderful heroine. She was extremely strong and fiercely independent. She dealt with her father's abuse and still came out strong and determined to live happily in spite of him. She was very loyal to those she loved and, honestly, a total badass in general. I really liked her. She was
Alicia Batista (Addicted Readers)

5 EPIC STARS

Wow, WOW, WOOWWWWWWW!!!! What a fiery rage of emotion THE WINTER KING has inflicted upon me! It has left me utterly and hopeless yearning for more of this thrilling world, and all the addicting adventures and skin tingling romance that lye's inside!

THE WINTER KING is a fierce blend of heart-pounding action, pulse-throbbing romance that touches the depths of your soul, and brands it with an emotion that seizes and captivates, and vibrates everything within. Combined with sexy romanc
Ren
3,5 stars

Well...:/

C.L.Wilson is not a new writer to me. I really love her Tairen Soul series (even just read 2 of her books) because the book take fantasy romance in a whole new level. That's why I have a VERY HIGH exceptation for The Winter King, especially this is the first book Wilson write after she had a long hiatus. Sadly, this one didn't exceed my expectation even I won't said that The Winter King is bad. Nope, not bad. I just a little bit disappointed.

The reason why I love Tairen Soul is
Jackie
Jun 01, 2013 Jackie rated it it was ok
I'd heard good things about C.L. Wilson, and I love me a good epic fantasy novel. But I have to say that THE WINTER KING turned out to be a big disappointment. To wit:

• Our heroine, Khamsin, is a spoiled, annoying brat. We are meant to feel sorry for her, because her father hates her for having accidentally killed her mother/his wife when she was only three, and keeps her isolated in the castle. But I couldn't get interested in her as a character, because she seemed so immature/unheroic.

• Not ju
-Ya
Jul 02, 2014 -Ya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book moments: #ffs.wtf.wth.grrr.urg.rage.rme#

Having read Tairen Soul series in one setting, I am certainly curious about this new book. (minus that bookcover!) The Winter King is a great pick for anyone who is new to Wilson's works. It is stand-alone:)

3-stars hero.
The villains in this book disgust me.
Magical World building

Minor issues I have:
Rushed ending. Some parts in the middle drag out.

This 600-pages novel is packed with magic, angst, suspense, distrust, awesome fighting scenes, and enemy
The Challenge Fac...: Elena & Krissy - The Winter King 49 19 Apr 07, 2016 05:43AM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 05, 2015 08:59AM
  • Warlord  (Chronicles of the Warlands, #3)
  • The Battle Sylph (Sylph, #1)
  • Entreat Me
  • The Curse Giver
  • Broken Dove (Fantasyland, #4)
  • Caller of Light
  • The Mark of the Tala (The Twelve Kingdoms, #1)
  • Shielder (Shielder, #1)
  • The Land of the Beautiful Dead
  • Princess of the Sword (Nine Kingdoms, #3)
  • Vengeance Born (The Light Blade, #1)
  • The Fire Lord's Lover (The Elven Lords, #1)
  • My Lady Mage (Warriors of the Mist, #1)
  • Prince's Fire (Hearts and Thrones, #3)
  • The Copeland Bride
C.L. Wilsons unique blend of pulse-pounding action, sweeping epic fantasy, and passionate romance has made her books a favorite read for romance and fantasy readers alike. Praised for exceptional worldbuilding and lyric prose, her critically acclaimed novels have regularly appeared on bestseller lists including the USA Today, the New York Times, and Publishers Weekly.

C.Ls novels have won numerous
More about C.L. Wilson...

Weathermages of Mystral (2 books)
  • The Sea King (Weathermages of Mystral, #2)

“Your father thought he scored a victory over me when he tricked me into marrying you instead of one of your sisters, but he unwittingly gave me the one daughter I wanted most.” 12 likes
“Well," she said again, turning to him and tipping back her head to meet his gaze. "As the begetting of an heir holds such dire import, I suggest we get to it.” 9 likes