Fall to Pieces

Fall to Pieces

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  191 ratings  ·  38 reviews
When your best friend dies, you’re supposed to know what happened. You’re supposed to know why.

But Ella has no idea what happened the night Amy jumped to her death. She has no idea why Amy would want to die.

Ella’s other friends, Mark and Petal, are hiding something. Ella thinks they know exactly what happened that terrible night. But they’re not talking. Instead, Ella, Mar...more
Hardcover
Published October 2nd 2012 by Marshall Cavendish (first published October 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Fall to Pieces, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fall to Pieces

Vahini Naidoo
Feb 17, 2011 Vahini Naidoo marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
My book! :D
Rebecca
Jun 28, 2012 Rebecca added it
Shelves: bea
I'm not going to star this, because I didn't read enough of it to really judge. The story could be great, but I personally can't read it, because of the heavy handed use of profanity. I can overlook a word here or there if the story sucks me in enough, but in the first 25 pages there was so much I can't read any more. I'm intrigued by the premise, but not enough to force my way through the language.

I want to make it clear that this is the only reason I am not rating this. It's not that I hated t...more
Caylee Michaels
Oct 12, 2012 Caylee Michaels rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: No one
Recommended to Caylee by: Meagan
This book was really bad. The writing was so awful I couldn't even get into it. It's like she was trying so hard to make it sound edgy and poetic at the same time, but I just laughed because of secondhand embarrassment.

The book is about this girl who jumped off a roof and died, and now her friends jump off high places to get closer to her. I don't even understand the setup. They almost kill this one person and there's some 'mystery' about how the girl's friend Amy died because Ella doesn't reme...more
Shirley Marr
May 16, 2012 Shirley Marr marked it as to-read
Baby Vee and me go way back, I've watched her progress and I'm so excited that the book finally has a cover and will be out later this year. But I want to read this book not because I know (or think) I know Vee, but because it sounds like a seriously interesting and unique book. I mean it:)
Raven
Feb 19, 2011 Raven marked it as to-read
I was lucky enough to have beta-ed this book. Believe me when I say you're going to LOVE this book. SO AMAZING.
Kageashi
This is a book that is hard to like - it's well crafted, it feels natural in so many ways, and that's what makes it numbing almost to the point of pain. Because it does feel real on so many ways, and it's so easy to get inside the protagonist's headspace as she tries to cope with the suicide of her best friend and trying to reconstruct the memories of that night through risk-seeking behavior called "Pick Me Ups."

It's a difficult and dangerous road to follow the protagonist on her search for her...more
Meagan
I wound up skimming the last 1/2 of the book because I couldn't handle the writing. It reads like my LiveJournal, circa 2003. In reality, her writing style reminds me of mine from a while back. It might appeal to people who like the snippets of writing floating around Tumblr.

I cringed through this. The repetition, choppy "self-aware" trains of thought, the over-the-top similes and nonsensical phrases, like these:

The words flop from my mouth and circle around my neck. A noose made of vocabulary,...more
Debra Driza
Simply put, this author's prose is amazing. I read an early version of this book and it was fabulous and dark, but to be honest, I would probably love anything this author wrote. Her imagery is just that stunning and unique.
Yuanting Lee
Actual Rating: 2.5 stars

Meh. I wasn't impressed by the story in general and I thought that it was too melodramatic. Also, like another reviewer had said, there were a lot of profanities in this book. Enough to become mildly annoying. Overall, it was a so-so book, but seeing as I've been waiting for this for quite a while, it didn't live up to my expectations at all.
Amy Jacobs
Four friends suddenly become three. Ella, Mark, Petal, and Amy suddenly become Ella, Mark and Petal after Amy dies. Ella is having a hard time remembering what happened.When Mark creates a game called Pick Me Ups, Ella starts getting flashbacks of the night Amy died. Instead of an adrenaline rush, she is getting glimpses into the secrets that are locked within her head. Then Ella brings Tristan into the fold but he has secrets of his own.

This was a book that led me into the trap of 'just one mo...more
Elizabeth
Ella is depressed and confused. Her best friend Amy died at Ella's party and Ella can't remember anything from that night. She has no idea if Amy's death was the result of suicide or murder or accident or why it happened. Their mutual friends Petal and Mark seem to be hiding something from her and it hurts that they won't tell her anything. Mark and Ella created the game Pick Me Ups, where they jump from dangerous heights. Mark and Petal do them for fun and to drive away their grief, but Ella re...more
Kacunnin
Vahini Naidoo’s FALL TO PIECES is a gut-wrenching novel about depression and teen suicide. Seventeen-year-old Ella is suffering in the aftermath of her best friend, Amy’s, suicide. To make things worse, Ella can’t remember what happened that night, but she suspects her friends Mark and Petal know more than they’ve told her. The three of them play a dangerous game called “Pick Me Ups,” in which they jump from great heights for the rush it brings them. For Ella, the Pick Me Ups are a way to get in...more
Rica
Sometimes I wonder why do I really love reading books and this book gave me the answer. I wouldn't have expected it. Such storyline. I thougt it was just a book of messed up teens but i gave it a try and it suprises me.
This book is about Ella,griefing over her bestfriend,Amy's death. She has always thought she was the cause of Amy's death but she couldn't remember what happen at the night when it happened. She knew that her other two friends,Mark and Petal, are hiding something from her. Somethi...more
Runa
Wow, this book has a lot of negative reviews, and I'm not sure why. I actually liked this book. It took a while to get into, but was worth it for me. The top complaint seems to be the abundance of profanity, to which I say, have you ever been around teenagers? It's accurate. The other complaint I see is that it's 'melodramatic', which is just an insult to anyone who has lost a loved one. Melodramatic? Everyone deals with their grief in different ways, and the main character had just lost their b...more
Marisa L

"Sometimes when I fall, I don't just remember. I forget."

In Fall to Pieces by Vahini Naidoo, Ella is trying to forget and remember all at the same time. But forgetting something that impacted your life is not possible. Ella has three best friends Mark, Petal and Amy. Now there is only two... Mark and Petal. Amy died on the night Ella can't remember.
Normally when your best friend dies you remember exactly how everything happened and why. For one reason or another Ella can't recover the full m...more
Stacey B.
OVERALL IMPRESSION: I didn't really have any expectations when I picked this book up, I just liked the cover. It's extremely dark and covers very intense topics. I would caution parents and tell them to make sure they either read all or some of it before deciding if they think their child can handle reading it.

I really enjoyed this book. I think the profanity was a little unnecessary at times, but I found myself needing to read just one more chapter, which ended up being five more, which really...more
E.a.pischke
This book was a way to ridiculous most of the time. The things that peeved me the most throughout this book include: The absence of all the kids' parents the entire time. Tristan's aren't even mentioned once. Ella's Mum is the only one who cares even a little bit.

The fact that any of these kids haven't flunked out of school, since they are almost always absent.

The point of the 'Pick Me Ups' made absolutely no sense to me. I get that they want to know how Amy felt...then why not starved themselve...more
Chelsea
Ok it was a good book, but if you do read this, beware of the language. The F word is used in every other sentence and someone is always flipping someone off. I didn't know this when I started, so I was a little surprised to see it so often.

I didn't like any of the main characters except Tristan. I found him very interesting and I liked how he would press forward because of his past. He was the only reason I continued to read the book.
Ella got under my skin. She hates the world, she hates her s...more
Julie
The ending of this book gave me CHILLS. It was completely unexpected and shocking.

Character development and the tone of the book was great. The addition of "Explosive Boy" in the book definitely threw in more to the story.

Great book, I'd recommend it for sure! Just prepare yourself for the real ending because you'll never see it coming..
Stephanie
I really enjoyed this book. People go through what Amy and the rest of the gang did all the time. It is hard for people to realize that people do have more issues inside than what they may show. Ella certainly went through a lot of pain not knowing the truth and to think her friends were lying to her. I was in total shock to find out that it really wasn't anything the Ella thought happened. Crazy turn around for sure. I recommend for everyone to read this book because it helps you realize what p...more
Victoria
This book was compelling and confusing - extremely disturbing. I want to believe that the tragic degree of messed up teen relationships with hardly any adult support depicted is rare. The hatefulness of high schoolers to each other, the amount of drug and alcohol use, the alienation and the terrible results were deeply disturbing and I don't know how real. I hope exaggerated. I know that the importance of friendship and romantic relationship and the resultant confusion and pain is real - but the...more
Brittany
When this book came in on hold, I couldn't remember why I had wanted to read it in the first place - the synopsis doesn't draw you in and the cover is not appealing. It was a quick read and I reached my 50 page stopping point and even read a little more and ultimately had to put this title down. It seemed like the author was trying too hard to make the characters harsh and gritty and it didn't read well. Perhaps if I hadn't just finished a book where the best friend dies, I could have given this...more
Will
Nope.

Writing was too annoying. Characters were too annoying - this whole book was just one big 'annoyance'

I'm not entirely sure why I even read this. I'm not a fan of 'angst' heavy books but I think the whole 'mystery' thing appealed to me.

and yikes, what a mystery the reveal turns out to be. It's very over the top and dramatic.

Which I guess is what the teenagers years was about but...I'm not sure if reading it was very appealing to me.

Also, enough with the repeating words, words, words three ti...more
Ciara
I love it.
Stacey
I usually find books on goodreads and read the reviews to decide if they go on my "to buy and read" list or not. I didn't do that with this book and I really wish I had because I never would have bought it. The only good thing about reading the reviews now is that I don't have to waste my time finishing the book. All the reviewers that didn't like it felt exactly the same way I did. No one was likeable, the profanity was terrible and the plot was not interesting.
janie
so cool!adooooooooore it
PhobicPrerogative
I've read enough to come to conclusion that if an author has to centre a book around grief, she has to make the main character sympathetic, and at the very least, likeable enough for readers to feel sorry.
Jessica
this book had a ridiculous amount of swear words. way too many. so many that those words became all i noticed. plus it was confusing. it was supposed to be a mystery, but it was just... not very good.
Kelsie
I read the first two chapters and it was awful. This book was hard to follow from the beginning. I'm bummed cause it seemed like a good book from the summary and reviews.
  • League of Strays