Start by marking “A Casa Secreta” as Want to Read:
A Casa Secreta

A Casa Secreta

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  1,615 ratings  ·  75 reviews
Samantha Laschen, a doctor specialising in post-traumatic stress disorder, has moved to the Essex coast with her small daughter, Elsie, to escape the problems of her London life. Or so she thinks. Fiona Mackenzie barely survived the savage, murderous attack which left her parents dead. Now she is in need of sanctuary and the police see Sam as the ideal person to offer her ...more
Published 2001 by Livros Quetzal (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about A Casa Secreta, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Casa Secreta

Delee
THE SAFE HOUSE by Nicci French started off strong with the discovery of the bodies of a wealthy husband and wife - Leo and Elizabeth MacKenzie. The couples daughter- Finn - is found upstairs away from the murders, suffering from a neck wound...but still alive.

Dr Samantha Laschen is a specialist of post-traumatic stress. She has moved from London to the countryside with her young daughter - Elise - not far from where the recent murders took place. Samantha's (Sam) plans for peace and quiet are pu
Pvw
Incredibly boring book with cardboard characters who communicate with each other in dead serious, uninteresting dialogue. The story unfolds tediously slow, with a seemingly endless description of the main character's daily routines. Then Nicci French performs a hard to imitate trick: lots of highly unlikely elements and unrealistic events are added to the story, without making it more interesting! The ending is so bad that you get the impression that the authors had to meet their deadline and wr ...more
Dominique
I love Nicci French books for the involving day-to-dayness of the books. This one got me like the rest but I absolutely hated the ending.
Amby
Lisa
Lily Alquist
I'm always pleasantly surprised when I pick up a new read by a new author that I've never even heard of and my daring choice pays off. This book was a wonderfully suspenseful page-turner. I'm always rather uneasy with novels in first person (this one flip-flopped, but was primarily in first), but Nicci managed to do it in a way that wasn't overwhelming. The characters were well developed and interesting to tag along with. POTENTIAL SPOILERS: There were a few loose ends that I would've liked tied ...more
Lauren-Jane
Kristi Thompson
Vicky F
The Safe House was an unexpectedly good read, it was one of the books that was read due to a distinct lack of anything else grabbing my attention.
The language was simple and the plot easy to follow, a simple read for anyone interested in the murder mystery genre.
Not a page turner in the sense that its unputdownable, but an exciting read nonetheless.
Not the best read I've ever had but by no means the worst!
Worth a read!
Kavita
I have found a new crime novelist that actually makes me want to guess after a very long time. I played the guessing game throughout this book and I kept pinpointing at different people. I am definitely going to read more of this author's books.

The story starts with a double murder of a rich couple and their daughter is found tied up and wounded. She needs to find a place of safety and from there, starts the drama. The premise of the story was a little unrealistic as no police force would allow
Margie
I have now given Nicci French the old college try (two books). I'm done.

The book is not terrible. If I were in a plane on a tarmac for several hours, it would certainly help to pass the time. However.... The protagonist is unbelievable, and the 'twist' is visible from afar. This makes the final third of the book quite tedious.
Elizabeth Moffat
A decent enough story from the husband and wife writing team that is Nicci French. Making my way through the backlist and enjoyed this much more than The Memory Game. Looking forward to the next one!
Lian
For some reason I couldn't get through this book, although I'm a real Nicci French addict. I found it predictable after having read some of the other earlier Nicci French novels.
Sharon
I must be a bit strange as unlike everyone else I found the second half of the book much more interesting than the second. I could not put it down once all the inconsistencies, red herrings, weird decisions and other quite bizarre things from the first half started to be explained (a bit). The ending was pretty bad and unsatisfactory. I find it hard to credit that an author who has 4 of her own children would create a character whose 5 year old daughter was repeatedly put at risk. I loved her de ...more
Kaethe
A young doctor specializing in Trauma recover has had enough of her busy life in the city and decided to move to the coast, surrounded by farms, and foxhunts, and weekend sailors. It's hardly a natural fit, but she's got time off before she starts work on her new department at the local hospital, so maybe an opportunity to get he daughter started in nursery school and her own book written.

That goes to hell pretty soon. The local police bring her a teenage who's survived the particularly heinous
Meredith
River
Well, it was a good read.

It had a strong and clever plot with interesting characters (though sometimes flat). However it did had its problems. Sometimes the decisions Sam made were just not right. Like, she is a pretty strong minded woman who really loves her little daughter, but she still makes decisions what could put her daughter in danger, which made it sort of seemed out of character.

I also think the book seemed to go on and on even though everything was sorted out. Nothing really interest
martin
There are two definite halves to this book and the second part is by far worse than the first. The idea is clever but it runs out of steam, leaving me with the impression there was a limit on the number of pages set by the publisher and so the promising plot couldn't be delivered.

I wasn't looking for a final climactic battle between the doctor and her pseudo-ward but the themes of deception and imitation were kind of left hanging unsatisfactorily. What "closure" we do get is a bit half-hearted
David
Rather a disappointing ending. Great premise for a story that appeared to lose its way about half into the book. And as for the end, well I thought I had missed something...but I see from other reviews that I am not the only one to have felt let down.
Inge (Inge1990)
Een leuk en spannend boek in een schrijfwijze waar je snel door heen kan lezen. Er zitten leuke plottwisten in en daardoor blijf je lezen. Al is het niet het meest spannende boek wat ik de laatste tijd gelezen heb, is het best een aanrader.
Lynne
Not one of their best offerings. I hate this business of putting the first few pages of the next book at the end. It's especially annoying when you're reading it on kindle. Lots of plot holes in this one.
Hanna
Wel een goed boek, maar tamelijk voorspelbaar.. en toen ik op het einde dacht 'nu wordt het nog even spannend' was het ineens afgelopen!
Natasja
Super mooi en spannend boek, je blijft je steeds afvragen hoe het verder gaat! Zeker een aanrader om te lezen, leest makkelijk weg vind ik.
Jayne Charles
Sandra
Strictly speaking, more like 2.75 stars. This started promisingly, good characters, interesting premise, although the signs and portents were a bit heavy-handed in places. Ended well too, as far as the identity of the final whodunnit. But, oh the deterioration of credibility in the characters as twist after twist was applied, dreadful thing after dreadful thing happened to Samantha whose blinkers, it seemed, only got ever narrower until, at the end, she made no sense whatsoever.
Pat
Quite a good read but not believable. This must have been written by someone who does not have children. Why would a single mother who hates the sea EVER set foot in a small sailing boat and then NOT scream to be returned to shore when realising they were headed out to sea. Sam is obviously a devoted mother and would not have risked her life in this way, especially as she is not close to her parents and obviously would not want them to bring up Elsie. It was a good read but too many inconsistenc ...more
Juliana Graham
Another example of a book that I wouldn't normally have picked up but actually really enjoyed. I needed some entertainment at work and this was in the library. A clever plot and I didn't guess what was coming - but that's probably because I don't get much practice with crime books. However, i liked the way that it was from the perspective of a 'normal' character and not a detective, policeman or victim. I would definitely recommend this book and may even consider reading more of the same by this ...more
Leen
Sam is een jonge dokter, gespecialiseerd in trauma's. Met haar dochtertje verhuist ze uit het drukke Londen naar het 'rustige' platteland.
Rustig? Nee, want er wordt een gruwelijke moord gepleegd op een gezin en de politie contacteert Sam om de overlevende dochter Finn in haar huis op te nemen, tot ze de moordenaars gevat hebben en het meisje klaar is om weer in de maatschappij opgenomen te worden.
Maar mensen zijn altijd anders dan ze zich voordoen...
Sharyn
Great story line with a surprising twist at the end. It was first published in 1998 and a couple of references make the reader aware of this - the subject of post traumatic stress being a new field of study, choosing 'Cape' green apples in the supermarket 'but it's ok to do that know' (post Mandela's release etc), and feeling self conscious about using a new mobile phone. This did not detract from the story (I rather liked it) and it's a darn good read.
  • Nieuwe Buren
  • Herfstlied
  • Après-Ski
  • Rendez-vous
  • Daglicht
  • Versluiering
  • The Silence
  • Set In Stone
  • The Trouble with Harriet (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #9)
  • Love is Strange
  • Stuk
Note: (Nicci Gerrard and Sean French also write separately.)

Nicci Gerrard was born in June 1958 in Worcestershire. After graduating with a first class honours degree in English Literature from Oxford University, she began her first job, working with emotionally disturbed children in Sheffield. In that same year she married journalist Colin Hughes.

In the early eighties she taught English Literature
More about Nicci French...
Blue Monday (Frieda Klein, #1) Killing Me Softly Beneath the Skin Tuesday's Gone (Frieda Klein, #2) Secret Smile