Start by marking “A Casa Secreta” as Want to Read:
A Casa Secreta

A Casa Secreta

3.48  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,066 Ratings  ·  96 Reviews
Samantha Laschen, a doctor specialising in post-traumatic stress disorder, has moved to the Essex coast with her small daughter, Elsie, to escape the problems of her London life. Or so she thinks. Fiona Mackenzie barely survived the savage, murderous attack which left her parents dead. Now she is in need of sanctuary and the police see Sam as the ideal person to offer her ...more
Published 2001 by Livros Quetzal (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about A Casa Secreta, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Casa Secreta

Delee
THE SAFE HOUSE by Nicci French started off strong with the discovery of the bodies of a wealthy husband and wife - Leo and Elizabeth MacKenzie. The couples daughter- Finn - is found upstairs away from the murders, suffering from a neck wound...but still alive.

Dr Samantha Laschen is a specialist of post-traumatic stress. She has moved from London to the countryside with her young daughter - Elise - not far from where the recent murders took place. Samantha's (Sam) plans for peace and quiet are pu
Dominique
I love Nicci French books for the involving day-to-dayness of the books. This one got me like the rest but I absolutely hated the ending.
Pvw
Oct 29, 2010 Pvw rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: popular-fiction
Incredibly boring book with cardboard characters who communicate with each other in dead serious, uninteresting dialogue. The story unfolds tediously slow, with a seemingly endless description of the main character's daily routines. Then Nicci French performs a hard to imitate trick: lots of highly unlikely elements and unrealistic events are added to the story, without making it more interesting! The ending is so bad that you get the impression that the authors had to meet their deadline and wr ...more
Marieke
Mar 29, 2016 Marieke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Het verhaal was best goed. Op sommige momenten wel voorspelbaar, dat was soms hinderlijk. En op sommige momenten was het ook nog wel spannend.
Kristi Thompson
Amby
Jan 16, 2011 Amby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lisa
Aug 03, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lily
Jun 30, 2013 Lily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm always pleasantly surprised when I pick up a new read by a new author that I've never even heard of and my daring choice pays off. This book was a wonderfully suspenseful page-turner. I'm always rather uneasy with novels in first person (this one flip-flopped, but was primarily in first), but Nicci managed to do it in a way that wasn't overwhelming. The characters were well developed and interesting to tag along with. POTENTIAL SPOILERS: There were a few loose ends that I would've liked tied ...more
Lauren-Jane
Vicky F
Apr 27, 2012 Vicky F rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
The Safe House was an unexpectedly good read, it was one of the books that was read due to a distinct lack of anything else grabbing my attention.
The language was simple and the plot easy to follow, a simple read for anyone interested in the murder mystery genre.
Not a page turner in the sense that its unputdownable, but an exciting read nonetheless.
Not the best read I've ever had but by no means the worst!
Worth a read!
Kavita
Mar 18, 2014 Kavita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I have found a new crime novelist that actually makes me want to guess after a very long time. I played the guessing game throughout this book and I kept pinpointing at different people. I am definitely going to read more of this author's books.

The story starts with a double murder of a rich couple and their daughter is found tied up and wounded. She needs to find a place of safety and from there, starts the drama. The premise of the story was a little unrealistic as no police force would allow
alissee
Aug 23, 2015 alissee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I think it is the first time I want it to be possible to put 3.5 stars. This book wasn't really four - the first third of it I was struggling with it, finding the things happening and their explanations and characters' motives a bit too stretched... But then somehow it got better and I finished the second half in one day, not being able to stop. And so it became much better than some other books I rated three.
This second part, I was really sympathetic to Sam (view spoiler)
Margie
Dec 07, 2010 Margie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I have now given Nicci French the old college try (two books). I'm done.

The book is not terrible. If I were in a plane on a tarmac for several hours, it would certainly help to pass the time. However.... The protagonist is unbelievable, and the 'twist' is visible from afar. This makes the final third of the book quite tedious.
Christine Blachford
I enjoyed this story, although it felt like a pretty unusual and somewhat unrealistic situation to start with. Fragile traumatised girl goes to stay with random stranger in the countryside to keep safe? Does that happen? I don't know but anyway, it set up what was an interesting and almost always threatening story.

I like the fact that the twist I guessed happened about three quarters of the way through, leaving plenty of time for more of the woven intricate details to be unravelled. I might have
Elizabeth Moffat
A decent enough story from the husband and wife writing team that is Nicci French. Making my way through the backlist and enjoyed this much more than The Memory Game. Looking forward to the next one!
Lian
Aug 12, 2012 Lian rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
For some reason I couldn't get through this book, although I'm a real Nicci French addict. I found it predictable after having read some of the other earlier Nicci French novels.
Sharon
Apr 03, 2014 Sharon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I must be a bit strange as unlike everyone else I found the second half of the book much more interesting than the second. I could not put it down once all the inconsistencies, red herrings, weird decisions and other quite bizarre things from the first half started to be explained (a bit). The ending was pretty bad and unsatisfactory. I find it hard to credit that an author who has 4 of her own children would create a character whose 5 year old daughter was repeatedly put at risk. I loved her de ...more
Els
Jul 04, 2015 Els rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookclub
I've read and enjoyed a few Nicci French books and was surprised that NF is actually a husband/wife team, but this time around I noticed a change in writing style every so often as well as plot redirection. There were some seemingly clues that weren't followed up, and other loose ends, and the book seemed finished about 2/3 of the way through but then it kind of started again - and went on and on...

Sam talked on the phone to Danny's friend, who talked about Danny being different lately. Meaning?
Kaethe
A young doctor specializing in Trauma recover has had enough of her busy life in the city and decided to move to the coast, surrounded by farms, and foxhunts, and weekend sailors. It's hardly a natural fit, but she's got time off before she starts work on her new department at the local hospital, so maybe an opportunity to get he daughter started in nursery school and her own book written.

That goes to hell pretty soon. The local police bring her a teenage who's survived the particularly heinous
Meredith
Mar 18, 2014 Meredith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Isla Scott
It was quite good for a while but I felt it was a bit longwinded in parts and I lost interest towards the end, as the main story seemed to have been wrapped up around about 180/190 pages in and yet it continued, so I flicked through the remaining 50 pages or so but it just seemed to be full of (in my humble opinion) padding/unnecessary detail and so on, so I stopped reading.
River
Dec 30, 2013 River rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-for-school
Well, it was a good read.

It had a strong and clever plot with interesting characters (though sometimes flat). However it did had its problems. Sometimes the decisions Sam made were just not right. Like, she is a pretty strong minded woman who really loves her little daughter, but she still makes decisions what could put her daughter in danger, which made it sort of seemed out of character.

I also think the book seemed to go on and on even though everything was sorted out. Nothing really interest
martin
Jun 15, 2008 martin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There are two definite halves to this book and the second part is by far worse than the first. The idea is clever but it runs out of steam, leaving me with the impression there was a limit on the number of pages set by the publisher and so the promising plot couldn't be delivered.

I wasn't looking for a final climactic battle between the doctor and her pseudo-ward but the themes of deception and imitation were kind of left hanging unsatisfactorily. What "closure" we do get is a bit half-hearted
David
Jun 03, 2014 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rather a disappointing ending. Great premise for a story that appeared to lose its way about half into the book. And as for the end, well I thought I had missed something...but I see from other reviews that I am not the only one to have felt let down.
Liz Balaam
This is the first book I have read by this author. It was OK, but I did not like the ending at all - it was far too abrupt. I am not sure if I will read another book by Nicci French.
Inge (Inge1990)
Een leuk en spannend boek in een schrijfwijze waar je snel door heen kan lezen. Er zitten leuke plottwisten in en daardoor blijf je lezen. Al is het niet het meest spannende boek wat ik de laatste tijd gelezen heb, is het best een aanrader.
Maxine
Dec 28, 2014 Maxine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is definitely the best Nicci French book that I have read to date. The story is interesting with a good twist, although I had worked it out half way through. Despite this it is a really good read , the only thing that stopped it being a 5 star read is that I felt the end was a little weak.
Lynne
Nov 06, 2014 Lynne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not one of their best offerings. I hate this business of putting the first few pages of the next book at the end. It's especially annoying when you're reading it on kindle. Lots of plot holes in this one.
Ian Anderson
A slow first half of the book is more than made up in the surprisingly explosive events in the second. Agree with others that it has a weak ending though.
Heather
This was my least favourite Nicci French book. I figured out what was going to happen within the first quarter of the book and was just waiting for the characters to figure it out.
  • Nieuwe Buren
  • Daglicht
  • Oversteken
  • Versluiering
  • Schone Handen
Note: (Nicci Gerrard and Sean French also write separately.)

Nicci Gerrard was born in June 1958 in Worcestershire. After graduating with a first class honours degree in English Literature from Oxford University, she began her first job, working with emotionally disturbed children in Sheffield. In that same year she married journalist Colin Hughes.

In the early eighties she taught English Literature
More about Nicci French...