Mavericks at Work

Mavericks at Work

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  362 ratings  ·  54 reviews
Business as usual is a bust . . .

In industry after industry, organizations that were once dismissed as upstarts, wildcards—mavericks—are making serious waves and growing fast. From high-profile innovators such as HBO and Google to funky sandwich shop chains, the truly imaginative and unconventional businesses are changing the way things are done—providing new approaches, s...more
Published March 17th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Mavericks at Work, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mavericks at Work

Steve
This was one of the most valuable business books I've ever read. It is all about the most innovative, successful business leaders in the world today and the cutting edge consciousness that brought them to where they are. This book chronicles the true awakening occurring in the best of Corporate America. While reading this book I simply got it...the next step for me in my leadership of my company.
Mike
What I took away is that if I am the CEO of a company, I should put "Grand Poo-bah" instead of my title on the card to show I'm a true Maverick and like to have fun while being serious.
Sheri
I heard one of the authors (Polly LaBarre) speak at a conference recently. She was a good speaker so I purchased her book (and she signed it, too).

Lots of good examples, but it would be interesting to read about mavericks who had failed.
Omkar
worth reading till u get all concepts embossed in your mind !!
If u really wanna know how the minds of corporate top guns work, this is a good info to start with!!
Cheers!
Sankarshan
Not much in terms of fresh ideas or, insights. The sample base is also selected to match the hypothesis of the book. However, good read to go through.
irfan darian
This is definitely one of the best book that I've ever read, for books of this genre. There are tonnes of ideas that are explored, some simply of the sort that one would think. "Why didn't I think of that earlier?" Chapter 4 is a good classic example, where at times, the atypical method to seeking solutions is to find them within your own flock, but this chapter prove that at times, you just need to go beyond your sheltered environment and seek them elsewhere, notwithstanding the fact that the p...more
Blog on Books
Like a host of the new "psychosocial" business books, Mavericks at Work describes what it takes to have a breakthrough corporate success in the new millennium. The focus is not so much on the business styles of the 50's and 60's, as illustrated by the work of, say Peter Drucker, but rather it focuses on the new gestalt of branding through an intense devotion to customer service. By examining companies from the large scale of Proctor & Gamble and the World Bank, as well as new upstarts like C...more
John Tan
In this book, the authors highlight the traits that distinguish great companies from the merely good ones. The authors first explain how every company needs to figure out its higher calling, or its purpose, before it can embark on any form of strategic planning. The authors give examples of companies such as Southwest 'to democratize the skies' and HBO 'It's not TV. It's HBO' who have found the higher calling of their business. The authors then move on to make the case that the best way to beat...more
Hal
I read this book as part of a project at work in which we collectively read a business book and write comments on it. This book deals with numerous companies who have set themselves apart from the norm through a wide variety of innovative and down right off beat ways of operating in the business world.

It primarily focuses on how these companies chose to be different to set a new approach on how they interact with their customers. Being truly different leaves a distinct impression in the market a...more
Mitch
Aug 26, 2008 Mitch rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People interested in business, but it's already dated
Recommended to Mitch by: My department director (it was more like an edict)
Another "business trendy" book about people in business who change the rules and succeed. Yet, as I was reading it, I kept remembering all of the media praise and adulation given to former business gods, like Jack Welsh, Jeff Skilling, Ken Lay, and Dennis Kozlowski during their heydays.

Having worked in Corporate America for over a decade, I can say that CEO's and people with MBA's think they are rock stars, and this book, and books like it, play into those delusions. A closer examination of US...more
Tina
A little dry, okay for listening to in the background while doing something else like running, too much information on Cirque du Soleil, some swearing.
Loren
A fantastic book that was well researched in every sense. If this one doesn't get you fired up about your business, or make you want to start a new one you must be already at one of the companies featured in the book. From focusing on and connecting to customers, to looking for great ideas no matter where they originate or who they come from, this book covers it.

One of the best business books since the One Minute Manager and In Search of Excellence.

Nadia
May 21, 2007 Nadia rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Die hard Fast Company fans
Shelves: actuallyread
I'm a huge fan of Fast Company, but this book felt a little too ADD to me. Which sucks, because I'm totally buying what they are selling. I feel like the first three or four paragraphs of each chapter (with a couple sprinkled through out) were right on and I could've tossed the rest. Perhaps a better featured article (or several featured articles). Still, a lot of information in this one, so if you are feeling patient -- pick up a copy. On sale.
Kevin Doohan
This book is great. Many stories shared that demonstrate the power of original thinking and the characteristics needed to succeed today. Some of the things needed to win today...openness, sharing values, connecting vs. advertising, focused innovation, ideas from everywhere..etc. Recommended for marketers or for anyone in business who is tired of the same old, same old and wants to thrive by working differently.
Sarah Fowler
I didn't find any real original ideas here-- just another encouraging business self-help book. Good if you need it, dry if you don't.
There's a very helpful index of resources (ie, other business books) at the end.
Honestly, the farther I get from running my own business full-time the farther I get from enjoying these types of books. I should probably lay off them for a while.
Nick
Another book filled with company profiles and antidotes. I didn't find it that usefully after reading other similar books beforehand such as "It's Not the Big That Eat the Small...It's the Fast That Eat the Slow" or "Blue Ocean Strategies" or "Creating Customer Evangelists" which are also filled with company profiles and their unique strategies that help them succeed.
Madeline
I heard about this book during a webinar at work. The book is about how some businesses are more successful because they try nontraditional ideas, which gives them an edge. Some of the businesses that are highlighted tried really fascinating ideas. I enjoyed Built to Last better.
Corey
I was able to get about halfway through this one before it started to annoy me in a way that few books do. The success stories seemed other worldly and it actually started to depress me. I may go back to it at some point, but for now I'm giving it a long deserved break.
Douglas
Aug 30, 2007 Douglas rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yes..
Shelves: businessbooks
Found this book at the airport waiting for a flight... and really enjoyed it... Some great research into some great success stories about the Mavericks at Work...
Rosa
Excellent. Chock full of ideas - a book which can be an entertaining romp-through to read, but you take your time with it in order to get the most out of it. Will review more fully on the blog after some additional study time.
Ryan Fisher
This book has a wide array of case studies that demonstrate the principle concept. It's a good read for divergent perspective, but gets a little long in the middle and has a very abrupt conclusion and application.
Cheree
I loved this book and the stories it shared of the companies who have gone out and fought to do business in their own ways. I feel privileged to work in a place that I would consider to be a Maverick.
Emily
I agree with everything they say in this book, but I found their thesis to be slightly vague and I wanted more details about how their suggestions can be applied to real businesses.
Christanto Leonardo
Finally the book that really explain everything about "company mission".
I was looking about this topic to validate my understanding about it formally and finally got validated :D.
Aroengbinang
It's an eye opener for professionals as well as business owners. Highly recommended for those who like to think beyond walls, to find the best ideas and solutions from all over the world.
Kiersten
This book got me excited about going to work and how to change what I do each day. It mostly focuses on "proof" with lots of stories about mavericks, but that's good too
Angel
Borrowed this one from my workplace (UHD Library).

See my note on it here:

[http://itinerantlibrarian.blogspot.co...]
Natalie
A fantastic collection of thoughts and ideas from some of the most innovative businessmen of today. I found the book interesting, useful, and inspiring.
Carlyle
Aug 09, 2008 Carlyle rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: business minded people
This was especially interesting to me because of my business experience. I enjoy reading what others have done or are doing to become better at their work.
Javier
This was a fun business book to read. It gives examples of companies that became successful by being creative in the way they did business
  • The Experience Economy: Work Is Theater & Every Business a Stage
  • The Great Reset: How New Ways of Living and Working Drive Post-Crash Prosperity
  • Macrowikinomics: Rebooting Business and the World
  • Built to Sell: Creating a Business That Can Thrive Without You
  • Brazen Careerist: The New Rules for Success
  • Buy-In: Saving Your Good Idea from Getting Shot Down
  • Competing for the Future
  • The Career Guide for Creative and Unconventional People
  • The Brand You50 (Reinventing Work): Fifty Ways to Transform Yourself from an "Employee" into a Brand That Shouts Distinction, Commitment, and Passion!
  • Grouped: How Small Groups of Friends Are the Key to Influence on the Social Web
  • The Second World: Empires and Influence in the New Global Order
  • The Referral Engine: Teaching Your Business to Market Itself
  • Good Business: Leadership, Flow, and the Making of Meaning
  • The 4 Disciplines of Execution: Achieving Your Wildly Important Goals
  • The Design of Business: Why Design Thinking is the Next Competitive Advantage
  • Quiet Leadership: Six Steps to Transforming Performance at Work
  • The Necessary Revolution: How Individuals And Organizations Are Working Together to Create a Sustainable World
Practically Radical: Not-So-Crazy Ways to Transform Your Company, Shake Up Your Industry, and Challenge Yourself Going Global: Four Entrepreneurs Map the New World Marketplace Military Responses to the Arab Uprisings and the Future of Civil-Military Relations in the Middle East: Analysis from Egypt, Tunisia, Libya, and Syria History of Rome A Catalogue Raisonnee of Oriental Manuscripts in the Library Volume 2