Start by marking “Weathercock” as Want to Read:
Weathercock

Weathercock

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  28 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Weathercock. The name evokes flames and chaos, and a mythic hero who will one day change the world. Young Kinner - betrayed by those he loves and sentenced to die - knows only one thing: in a world where women hold all the power and men are nothing but property, heroes are hard to come by.

Determined to find a life on his own terms, he flees execution only to discover he kn
Published January 31st 2011 by Tortuga Loca

To ask other readers questions about Weathercock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Weathercock

Emi
It's not very often that I find myself at a loss for words when starting a review. Normally, I have some sort of witty comment or cute exclamation to describe what I thought of a book. But this time, I got nothing. Zip, zilch, nada. Why? Because Melissa Crandall’s Weathercock has, in a way, left me too stunned for words. So I’ll just jump into the review.

Weathercock takes place in a fantasy world similar to our own. Even though I would like to classify it as a medieval-based fantasy, it’s is not
Dan Forward
Mar 20, 2011 Dan Forward rated it it was amazing
Categories are useful. One would not look for philosophical works or literary criticism in the increasingly large “Calendars” section of a book store. If you tell a clerk “I’m in the mood for a scientific treatise on snails,” he’s not going to point you to the romance shelves. “Fantasy” is often given its own area away from “Fiction.”
I feel deep pity for the shopkeeper who has to try to imprison Melissa Crandall’s Weathercock in a category. I believe it would fight its way out rather quickly,
Joanne
Mar 16, 2011 Joanne rated it it was amazing
While weathercock is not the type of book I usually would read, after my husband had started to read it each night would he give me snippets of the story line and how different it was from other fantasy books he is such an avid reader of, I usually don't bode well with the names of fantasy lands and characters, give me a bob or jane and thats all I can handle, so I picked up this book not expecting to love it as much as I did. The characters were amazing I fell for all of them and felt like I kn ...more
Ellen
Mar 09, 2011 Ellen rated it it was amazing
absolutely fabulous. Good strong female characters in a well-thought-out story. A wonderful change from the male-dominated adventure fiction of Conan and that dude who hangs out with the Gray Mouser . . . . . I am SO looking forward to the sequel. (Not to put any pressure on the author, but I'd like it fairly soon. By Christmas at the very least . . . .) Would make an excellent choice for a book group to read & discuss.
Jim Mastro
Apr 25, 2011 Jim Mastro rated it it was amazing
In Weathercock, Melissa Crandall has written a rousing adventure, with a unique twist: What would a world be like if women were the dominant gender and men were smaller and weaker and considered only good for household chores and procreation? And what would happen if some people wanted to change that?

Crandall has peopled her story with sympathetic and believable characters, and her skill at developing these characters and making them "breathe" is superlative. Even minor characters are developed
Donna
Sep 01, 2011 Donna rated it it was amazing
The author, Melissa Crandall, sent me a copy of Weathercock for review and I was more than happy to check it out. I'll start by saying what I didn't like about Weathercock, because it's such a small thing compared to all of the many, many aspects of this book that I absolutely LOVED. Okay, here goes….I absolutely do not like the title. I think it’s probably my aversion to that particular word, even though this time it is referring to a rooster, I still just don't like the title.

Now, with that be
Reese
Sep 03, 2011 Reese rated it it was amazing
Gritty and heartfelt adult "fantasy" novel. No elves, no dragons, but a fully realized alternate world in which women hold all the power and men are chattel. Great characters! You'll be drawn in from the first page.
Pwoolsey
Apr 10, 2011 Pwoolsey rated it it was amazing
Weathercock, made me laugh, cry and kept me on the edge of my seat! My whole family read it! Each of us agreed on one thing, we want MORE! I hope to see a second Weathercock in the future! Excellent book!
Roberta Pyzel
Got right into this story from page one; very strong characterizations - dynamic plot: LOVED IT!!!

Looking forward to more stories from MC!!!
Patrick
May 09, 2016 Patrick rated it liked it
Melissa Crandall has an incredibly assured voice for an independent author. This, no doubt, comes from her time writing tie-in novels, and her skill with prose is really on display here.

One of the biggest areas where I felt Weathercock could have used improvement was in the editing phase. I would have loved to have seen what an editor at a larger publishing house could have done with the book, from refining some of the language, to helping with the novel's internal timeline, to simply removing s
Amelia
Nov 11, 2015 Amelia rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
To begin with it was like that George R.R. Martin thing where each chapter jumps you to a new group of characters and completely different situation having nothing to do with those that came before (Though not nearly to Martins extent of detail, multitude of characters and total confusion...thank the Weathercock!). In fact, the character introduced in chapter one doesn't appear again until somewhere around chapter 15 or more (I don't actually have the book with me at the moment). This isn't my f ...more
Kristal
Jul 14, 2011 Kristal rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Kristal by: First Reads
First off, got this through the First Read's program and may I say that I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book.

Despite the weird name that this book holds, I am more than glad that I chose to partake in it's giving away and even more happy that I was allowed to win it.

The plot was well throughout and I must say I was hooked by the end, wishing for a second book to find out what happened to all the characters that I have come to love while reading this book. However, despite there not being a c
Eric
Feb 12, 2012 Eric rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Ms. Crandell does a great job of weaving a world that is (for this man) almost impossible to perceive - a world where woman are the dominant - and dominating gender. This in itself makes Weathercock a fascinating book for me, making me challenge my perceptions of the world. The book makes you question gender roles, pre-conceived notions of gender-based personalities and the corruption and violence that absolute power brings, no matter which set of chromosomes wields it.

All that said, Weathercoc
Star (The Bibliophilic Book Blog)
Mar 29, 2012 Star (The Bibliophilic Book Blog) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
WOW!!! From the first words to the last, Weathercock captured my mind and heart. Ms. Crandall has created a world run by women (not so bad, right?) where the men are only responsible for breeding children and not much else. They're not considered intelligent enough to hold a job or make decisions - they are essentially property. In this world, fertile male children are few and far between, so they are highly prized - but put to work as a stud until they are worn out and even more "useless". The ...more
Shadow
Jan 11, 2012 Shadow rated it it was amazing
This book is very enjoyable! Talk about hooking a person! This book has made its rounds. Not only did i read it, so did my brother, cousin and grandma. I now have passed it to a friend and shes enjoying it as well! Very good book! You should give it a try!
Erika
Oct 05, 2011 Erika rated it it was ok
Unfortunately not a fan of this book. Full review to come.
Dg
Dg marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Katycat5
Katycat5 marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
Romison
Romison marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
Lael
Lael marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Mrlove83
Mrlove83 marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2015
Jeana Phillips
Jeana Phillips marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Jossette
Jossette marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2015
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2015
Main Point Books
Main Point Books rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2015
Tanya
Tanya rated it did not like it
Aug 02, 2015
Anthony
Anthony marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Jhonny
Jhonny marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Ummmohd75
Ummmohd75 marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
Men as the weaker sex 1 4 Mar 03, 2011 10:37AM
  • Blood of the Dragon (Blood of the Dragon #1)
  • First Spell: Book 1 of the Bayou Witches
  • Shadow Man (Prince Andy and the Misfits, #1)
  • The Ghost in the Crystal (School of Ages, #1)
  • Progeny (The Children of the White Lions, #1)
  • Mishap & Mayhem (Mishap, #1)
  • Griffin Rising (Book One) (Griffin #1)
  • A Time of Blood and Fire
  • Darkstar
  • Hindsight (Mira Chambers #2)
  • Shrouded Secrets (Shrouded Secrets Chronicles, #1)
  • Bewitched in Time (Salem Moon, #1)
  • King's Envoy (Artesans of Albia, #1)
  • The Mumbo Jumbo Circus (Mumbo Jumbo Circus, #1)
  • Mammon: Dark Rift Rising (The Callahan Chronicles #1)
  • A Dragon's Awakening (The Chronicles of Kale, #1)
  • The Immortality Virus
  • Stones to Ashes (The Alchemists Academy, #1)
Interested in...well...everything. I never know what's going to pique my interest or inspire a story.

Please check out my blog at http://melissacrandall.wordpress.com
More about Melissa Crandall...