Start by marking “Wittgenstein's Antiphilosophy” as Want to Read:
Wittgenstein's Antiphilosophy

Wittgenstein's Antiphilosophy

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Alain Badiou takes on the standard bearer of the “linguistic turn” in modern philosophy, and anatomizes the “anti-philosophy” of Ludwig Wittgenstein, in his Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus. Addressing the crucial moment where Wittgenstein argues that much has to be passed over in silence—showing what cannot be said, after accepting the limits of language and meaning—Badiou ...more
Published June 22nd 2011 by Verso (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Wittgenstein's Antiphilosophy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wittgenstein's Antiphilosophy

Jim Coughenour
Picked up this book at City Lights purely out of curiosity, piqued by Slavoj Žižek's blurb: "A figure like Plato or Hegel walks here among us!" This short apothegmatic study of Wittgenstein's "antiphilosophy" is my first exposure to Badiou. I was impressed and entertained.

This book, I suspect, will be of interest to only a few of my fellow goodreaders. If you're interested in the ancient debates of philosophy (e.g. Plato's polemic against the sophists), or if you're interested in Wittgenstein, t
William West
I found this to be not only an interesting work on Wittgenstein, but one of the most enjoyable pieces by Alain Badiou that I've had the opportunity to read. What impressed me most was the philosophical precision with which Badiou interrogated Wittgenstein's "Tractatus."
As Bruono Bosteel's introduction explains, Badiou has recently attempted to define two traditions that he feels serve a foundations for philosophy precisely by attacking the philosophical tradition: sophistry and anti-philosophy.
Tanuj Solanki
Bruno Bosteels' introduction is a third of the book. And it is not just a translator's note, but a prepared critique. It is Bosteels who, in fact, clearly establishes the battle lines between philosophy, antiphilosophy, and sophistry. Wonder how that makes Badiou feel?

Important points for me:

1. The psychoanalyst as antiphilospher: a psychoanalyst can perceive the philosopher as a desiring subject, and can even, through his 'hermeneutics', understand philosophy as a kind of psychosis, one has to
Proustitute
An interesting, quick read, not what one often expects when cracking open a volume by Badiou. I think that its light approach is what threw me off here; indeed, the lengthy translators introductionwhich is longer and denser than Badious own texthad me expecting Badiou at the height of his syntactical and enigmatic powers.

While the premise of this is intriguing, the format of it may be problematic: originally delivered as a seminar, Badiou lays out his main argumentone that is not too hard to dis
Niel
In this incredibly penetrative and provocative reading of the Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus, Alain Badiou argues that we are best understanding the early Wittgenstein as a mystical antiphilosopher who's principal concern, in demarcating the limits of language and thought, is in fact to grant an absolute meaning to that which lies beyond language and thought, to that which according to the famous closing words of the Tractatus we "must pass over in silence", namely, the religious. It is here tha ...more
Chandra Kethi-reddy
Would be tough if you don't understand some basic concepts of Lacanian psychoanalysis (e.g., subtraction, act, saying, Real), but altogether a clear, interesting, rigorous, and even 'excellent' work on Wittgenstein's early work (primarily Tractatus)
Brandon
An excellent read with an excellent (even necessary) introduction by Bruno Bosteels. Focused largely on the Tractatus, Badiou makes a very compelling case for Wittgenstein's continuity with other masters of "antiphilosophy" such as Pascal, Nietzsche, and Lacan.

This is not a particularly descriptive review, but Badiou's painstaking analysis of Wittgenstein's positions were refreshing in a way that the few other interpreters I have so far seen seemed to lack.
Daniel
Angesicht der Klarheit und Knappheit mit der Badiou Wittgensteins Projekt als antiphilosophisch diskreditiert tat Wittgenstein mir schon ein wenig leid.
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Shantanu Singh
Shantanu Singh marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Rob
Rob marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Isaac Lee
Isaac Lee marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Wes Tasker
Wes Tasker is currently reading it
May 22, 2015
Bakunin
Bakunin marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Sorina Maria
Sorina Maria marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Ilya
Ilya marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Etuhu Emmanuel
Etuhu Emmanuel marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Billy Candelaria
Billy Candelaria marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Mark Mendoza
Mark Mendoza marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Armin Navabi
Armin Navabi marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Renan Virginio
Renan Virginio marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Tom Falcone
Tom Falcone marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Brad
Brad marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Alain Badiou, Ph.D., born in Rabat, Morocco in 1937, holds the Rene Descartes Chair at the European Graduate School EGS. Alain Badiou was a student at the École Normale Supérieure in the 1950s. He taught at the University of Paris VIII (Vincennes-Saint Denis) from 1969 until 1999, when he returned to ENS as the Chair of the philosophy department. He continues to teach a popular seminar at the Coll ...more
More about Alain Badiou...
Ethics: An Essay on the Understanding of Evil In Praise of Love Being and Event Saint Paul: The Foundation of Universalism The Communist Hypothesis