The Rogue Shop

The Rogue Shop

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  100 ratings  ·  38 reviews
From the back cover:
Trying to escape from his Texas Baptist upbringing and a troubled past, Chris Kerry came to Salt Lake City to get an education -- and nothing else. But keeping his promise to stay away from the Mormons proves difficult, especially with two cute college girls living across the hall. And when Chris finds a new job at a tuxedo shop, his promise unravels as...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published December 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Rogue Shop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rogue Shop

Bob
Ok, I have to admit that when I began reading this book it was more of a favor to a friend than any real personal interest. I never read romance or 'churchy' stuff, it just isn't what I am interested in. And, as I plodded (yes plodded because I move my lips when I read) through the first thirty pages it was a bit slow going. Don't worry if you feel the same way, just get through it because the author is cleverly setting up so many later elements of the story and you'll be glad you paid attention...more
Tristi
The Rogue Shop by Michael Knudsen is what one might consider a classic LDS fiction novel. A young man comes to Utah with every intention of not joining the Church, he's befriended by two fresh-faced Mormon girls who make him feel at home, he falls for one of them, and ends up joining the Church anyway. Doesn't sound too original, does it? In fact, we've all heard this story a million times.

Actually, we haven't.

The premise is one that has perhaps been overdone in LDS fiction, but the way it's tol...more
Stephanie
This book really impressed me--interesting characters, fascinating multi-layered plot, vivid writing. It made me laugh out loud and it made me tear up. I like the way the author weaves humor together with more serious topics, and does it very skillfully.
Heather

From the back cover: Trying to escape form his Texas Baptist Upbringing and a troubles past, Christ Kerry came to Salt Lake City to get an education--and nothing else. But keeping his promise to stay away from the Mormons proves difficult, especially with two cute college girls living across the hall. And when Chris finds a new job at a tuxedo shop, his promise unravels as he discovers new friendships, hidden secrets and a lost heritage he never imagined h...more
Merv Evans
Jan 15, 2011 Merv Evans rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teens,Young Adults and adults
Recommended to Merv by: My brother-in-law
I read your book in 5 days. I found this novel to be one I would share with any age group. It was something that kept the readers attention very well. For me, it sucked me right in the story with some experiences that I had in my younger years. Nothing as drastic as Chris’s at home in Houston. The Rogue Shop was real to me and your description of the characters made them real also. I could even hear and smell the boiler in the basement. The story was great because I got to know Eva and Stan, Tr...more
Katie Watkins
The Rogue Shop is a tender story about a man who leaves home and his Christian upbringing to attend college on a scholarship in a predominately Mormon state--Utah. His aunt/guardian is so worried that he'll become one of them and makes him swear that he won't. He arrives, down on his luck, and manages to find a job in a tuxedo shop, where the colorful characters are aplenty: Eva, an old German seamstress who was "the" gown designer to wear back in her day; Travis, a young man who has some physic...more
Saralyn
Got to admit, I picked this up only because it was written by a man. But I was pleasantly, well, not surprised but pleasantly something-happy-ed that I really enjoyed the book. I loved Chris's journey and I really liked Kelly and Angie. They reminded me of some of my roommates and friends in college, which was nice for reminiscing value. :)
Kathryn
Marsha Ward
I'm not going to get into the details of the characters, the plot, et. al. Everyone else has that pretty well covered. I'm going to say why I gave this book five stars.

I put this novel in a place where I typically have a few minutes at a time to read one chapter of a book, then lay it down and go about my business. When I opened The Rogue Shop to read it, that was my plan, but it didn't work out that way. I didn't put it down until after five a.m. the next morning. Yeah. I was sucked into the st...more
Hollie Robb
To tell the truth, I didn't finish this book. I tried to but it just wasn't by cup of tea. It was seriously predicable.

Travis is one bitter, eccentric character, that was brought on by the way people have treated him because of his physical limitations. Then there is the one character that I did like Eva Chandler, I loved how Knudsen put together her story/character. The marvelous seamstress who can take apart a anything and make it better, or take a few scraps of material and put together an e...more
Aimee
I'm not sure if I can pinpoint exactly what it was about this book that made me not love it. I've been thinking about it for a couple days now and I still can't come up with it. I liked it alright, but I didn't love it. Why? I just don't know. Was it the ending? Was it the the torrid affair in the tux shop that everyone knew about but turned a blind eye to while a wife sat at home with no clue because nobody had the decency to tell her? Huh. I don't know.

I felt like the characters were well deve...more
Maggie Fechner
This is a story about a young man venturing into Mormon country with only one thing: a vow to his aunt to never become a Mormon. He immediately finds himself penniless and desperate, and the unsuspecting neighbor of two cute LDS roommates.

Chris Kerry is in need of a job, and quick, so he dons a shabby suit and makes his way into the highly dysfunctional Regal Formalwear in downtown Salt Lake City. Between his experiences with his roommates and his coworkers, Chris comes to discover truths about...more
Heatherfife
I really loved this book. It clearly shows how people are NOT necessarily the sum of the mistakes they have made. It is a great and accurate portrayal of how it is possible for ALL people to see things that are inherently good and to recognize those things that are inherently bad.

The main point is that when you consciously make those good choices, you will be rewarded in so many aspects of your life.

On the contrary, the book points out that we are in complete control of the decisions we make,...more
Steven
Chris Kerry leaves Texas for Salt Lake City promising his aunt that he'll never become a Mormon. He's come for an education at the University of Utah and finds a job in a formal wear rental shop. He makes friends in his apartment building and builds some relationships at the tuxedo shop. There are secrets buried in the tuxedo shop and Chris rather unintentionally unearths a few.

This plot-driven story seemed to start off rather slow but eventually picks up to where I didn't want to put it down. K...more
Julie
I must admit that it is sometimes hard to read novels written by men. Sometimes they give the inth degree of details that just doesn't need to be there to tell the story. This book was slow going at first in setting up the story and I was bound and determine that I would stick to it until the end. I am glad that I did. I thoroughly enjoyed the book. Even the friend Travis "intellect" conversations. I love how Chris the main character listened to people and Learned.... Not much does that happen i...more
Brenda
What a treat to read a Christian/Fiction/Romance written by a man! Michael Knudsen is a master storyteller. His characters jump off the page and take life before your eyes. This is such a fresh twist on an old story, that I felt I'd never seen a conversion before. Chris evolves so gradually that's it's a pleasure to see it happen. The surrounding cast of characters all drew me in and became quick and quirky friends. Great story about the atonement and taking a chance on happiness:)
Susan
A three plus. Almost didn't read this because of the title and picture. I would have missed out. Well written and funny as well as thought provoking. A little romance but not the focus of the book.

Now that he's worked and saved up for college, Chris Kerry applies to school everywhere looking for a scholarship and a chance to move away somewhere, anywhere. When he gets a full scholarship at the University of Utah, he leaves Texas for Utah.
Stephanie
“The Rogue Shop” is a fantastic fiction novel aimed at members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The storyline is incredibly engaging—a little drama, a little romance, a little mystery, a little religion—and the author’s refreshingly witty writing style carries the story all the way through. Once I started reading I hated to put it down! Knudsen’s characterization is fun, spot on, and darn right inspirational. What a fun read!
Lynette
I almost quit reading this book, but decided to hang in there and I'm glad I did. Although it was predictable, it was worth reading. Although I did skip over the dialogue from one of the characters. It was WAY too wordy for me and part of the reason I almost quit reading the book. When I read novels, I don't want to have to concentrate to understand what they are saying. :)
Joni
Wow!! I really enjoyed this book. I couldn't wait to get to the next page and see what happened. The characters were developed so well, you felt like they were a part of your own life.
I normally don't like LDS novels, but this book didn't make it an issue. It was a part of story that needed to be there.
Awesome, and I'm not just saying that for family sake!
Kris Irvin
I really enjoyed this book. It took me a couple of chapters to get involved in the story, but then I got hooked and couldn't put it down. I loved Travis - his character was totally believable to me and I loved his verbose ramblings.

It's still LDS Fiction, but it's on the upper end of LDS Fiction.
Tiffany
I found the book hard to get into at first. I'm glad I stuck it out. For about the last 100 pages, I couldn't put it down. I was so eager to find out what would happen with all the characters and how the story would resolve itself. Some surprising twists and turns took place. Overall, a great read!
Tina Marie (Highlandress)
This was a fun book to read. It was fun to see all of the eccentricities of the characters. It make them very believable and realistic. I loved the authors descriptions because they created vivid pictures in my mind. I look forward to reading more of his books.
Katie
I loved this book. You really get to know the characters and get interested in each and every one of their stories within the main story. Definitely was surprised a few times, which I always enjoy when reading.
Sheila
I read this book in one day. Good LDS novel, with a little of everything in it; romance, mystery and humor.
Great book from a first time author. I would like to read more from Michael in the future.
Gayle
This wasn't quite what I was expecting, but I loved it! It was a touching story about a young man's journey to discover the truth. The minor characters were wonderful as well with all their quirks and flaws.
Susan
EXCELLENT! Boy, you never know what goes on behind the scene at a local formal wear store. But, I do know that our actions have consequences. I really liked Chris Kerry's in this wonderful story.
Annie Hadlock
This was a very LDS book and I typically am not a super huge fan of that type of fiction, but this one did it in a way that made the story fun. In the end it was a little sappy, but still okay.
Matt
This is a well-written and fun book, with a great story. Salt Lake City in the 1990's. Highly recommended. Disclaimer: I'd give this book 5 stars even if I wasn't related to the author.
Lisa
I honestly wasn't expecting much from this first-time author but I found the characters believable and the plot interesting. I really enjoyed it and was pleasantly surprised.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »