Start by marking “Smith Of Wootton Major” as Want to Read:
Smith Of Wootton Major

Smith Of Wootton Major (Толкин с иллюстрациями Дениса Гордеева)

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,871 Ratings  ·  119 Reviews
This collection includes two of Tolkien's best fairy stories. The world of Faery is the setting for Smith of Wootton Major. The preparation of Great Cake to mark the Feast of Good Children was a human, cheerful occasion, but other less material powers were at work and the world of man and of Faery met and blended in a strange, haunting union.

Leaf by Niggle is an apt and be
Published 1967 by Allen & Unwin

To ask other readers questions about Smith Of Wootton Major, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smith Of Wootton Major

Ron
Dec 19, 2009 Ron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A visit to Faery. Beware. It may touch your soul.

Unlike Lord of the Rings, which Tolkien labored over for decades, Smith came to him in a flash, and he dashed it off whole. It has a rough quality which betrays both that inspiration and that lack of refining. Nonetheless, it should entertain and enrich any reader who appreciate "Farmer Giles of Ham" or "Leaf by Niggle".

An excellent companion for "On Fairy Stories" from The Tolkien Reader, since Smith of Wootton Major is just such a fairy story.

B
Nikki
Nov 18, 2011 Nikki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Smith of Wootton Major is a fairytale, by Tolkien's own definition. The fairies are not small and precious, but real and potentially dangerous, and so is their land. It's a rather quiet story, I think -- there are no great dangers, no dragons to be fought or Dark Lords to be overthrown, though you might see echoes of that story here. The precious star was, in earlier drafts, a ring, after all.

In any case, it's a thoughtful little story. I almost said sweet, but I think that would be reducing it
Darth Andrew
I really enjoyed this. I was in the library and I saw it and picked it up because it looked cute, and then I couldn't put it down and devoured it in one sitting. 4 stars.
Zack
Jun 11, 2016 Zack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tolkien, classics, fantasy
In the village of Wootton Major, The Feast of Good Children is held every twenty-four years. Twenty-four children are invited and the feast ends with an extraordinary Great Cake. During one of these celebrations, a very special ingredient is hidden in the cake. A young boy swallows it, only finding it months later when it makes itself known. It's a star, but not just any star, it's a star that grants him entry to the Land of Faery.

It's a short but lovely story written quite beautifully. It's de
Sakura87
Il fabbro di Wootton Major è un racconto di J.R.R. Tolkien pubblicato nel 1967, l'ultima opera mentre l'autore era ancora in vita. Romanticamente potremmo considerarla una sorta di commiato dell'autore al mondo di Faerie, una fiaba per bambini ben ponderata (come dimostrano le diverse stesure e gli appunti dell'autore a riguardo) ed equilibrata piuttosto che uno spontaneo volo d'immaginazione. La novella avrebbe dovuto essere parte della prefazione di Tolkien a The Golden Key, storia di fate di ...more
PotHix
May 04, 2016 PotHix rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paid-somehow
É um livro muito legal para quem é fã de Tolkien. A história é bem pequena, menos da metade de livro. O restante do livro é um pouco de contexto sobre a história e porque ela foi escrita, juntamente com algumas ligações sobre a vida do Tolkien na época.

Esse foi o último livro escrito pelo Tolkien antes de sua morte e diz muito sobre o seus pensamentos sobre escrita, sobre o mundo das "fadas" (que não tem nada a ver com o que pensamos dele atualmente) e sobre a vida no geral.

A história em si lemb
Ivana de Bona
Mar 27, 2016 Ivana de Bona rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quite lovely!
Elizabeth LaPrelle
This story is grouped in with "The Light Princess" by George MacDonald for me as one of the books that makes me feel exactly the way I want to feel about magic. This story has things that you want. This story has cake.
Ea Solinas
Apr 27, 2015 Ea Solinas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
While most of his genius went into the world of Middle-Earth and its fantastical history, JRR Tolkien produced a number of smaller stories during his life.

And though he disliked allegory, the enchanting "Smith of Wootton Major" is a bit of an oddity among his writings -- a beautifully fantastical little fable that drips over with Tolkien's love of real, deep fairy tales. And unlike many a story of elves or faeries since, Tolkien keeps that sense of mystery and magic in the world of the supernatu
Charlotte Jones
Aug 17, 2015 Charlotte Jones rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story itself is only about 57 pages long in the edition I borrowed from the library so is a very quick read. It contains medieval style illustrations by Pauline Baynes. This is the first story by Tolkien that I have managed to read; I have tried to read the Lord of the Rings trilogy many times in the past, and have not been able to get into it, but this style seemed completely different to me.

There aren't that many characters in this short story, the main ones being Smith, Nokes and Alf. As
Volsung
A great and profound little book. My first reading of it remains one of my most memorable reading experiences in fantasy, and literature generally: a deeply moving and poignant experience. It remains a very fine book in terms of the fantasy elements and its solemn, ruminative tone of melancholy mixed with wonder. Roger Lanceyln green aptly said of it that to analyze its meaning is to "cut open a ball in search of the bounce." T.A. Shippey has refuted this statement somewhat, and gone to lengths ...more
Ramón Nogueras Pérez
Dec 02, 2012 Ramón Nogueras Pérez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
He estado leyendo este encantador cuento de hadas a mi mujer y mi hijita cada noche, antes de dormir. Mañana escribiré la reseña en sí, mas adelanto que es un libro maravilloso.

Y ya. Tolkien escribe un hermoso cuento de hadas que es una celebración del género, con todo lo que uno le puede pedir a un cuento de hadas salvo una cosa: grandes peligros.

Este es un cuento tranquilo, extraño quizá por la falta de un dragón, una bruja, o alguna clase de monstruo o enemigo. En este cuento el protagonista
Guilherme Teixeira
This book was for me a thrill to read, being an enthusiastic fan of tolkien. After reading it, and learning that this was the last story written by him, I couldn't help but feel sad and making some connections, like thinking that the smith could actually be tolkien, and that the work of the smith, his journeys were like all the books and legacies that tolkien left us. The final part where the Smith willingly gives up his star (making him unable to return to the Faery) did nothing but remind me t ...more
Alberto
Apr 19, 2015 Alberto rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read. I say, that man must have taken Chefistry to make such good cakes. This book is one of the few with an accurate portrayal of Faery (or Fairy Land as some people might know it). Knowledgeable men like Tolkien and Arthur Spiderwick who have journeyed into the fay to do their research have my deepest respect. Few people have such clear understandings of the fantastic.
Allison
Sep 21, 2013 Allison rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of fairy tales & Tolkien
Recommended to Allison by: Spotted on shelf
What a charming story! I stumbled upon this little gem when I was at the library picking up some books for my daughter in the Juvie section. I honestly didn't realize Tolkien had written more than The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, Silmarillion and what he son compiled as Letters from Father Christmas. Now I'm on a mission to hunt down these lesser known, lesser appreciated works. The Smith of Wooton Major is a fun little story that I wish I'd know about when my children were young. I wi ...more
Bram
Jan 12, 2016 Bram rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really nice Faery tale, especially since in my version many notes of Tolkien himself were included, as well as an essay on the process of writing 'Smith' which gives a beautiful insight in the way Tolkien let this story (and, in fact, all of his stories) take shape and expand themselves, so to say.
Mattias
Liked the first story quite a bit, was bored by the second one. The medieval-esque illustrations are lovely. (Better review and some images later, maybe).
Brianne
Jan 01, 2016 Brianne rated it liked it
This was an interesting little book. I've read the Hobbit and almost all of L.O.T.R., so it was interesting to read something else of Tolkien's.

I'd recommend it.
Darren Goossens
Apr 25, 2015 Darren Goossens rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone -- it's short. Kids, adults, fantasy fans.
Shelves: fantasy
This review first appeared at https://darrengoossens.wordpress.com/2015/04/25/walking-into-the-distance-a-review-of-smith-of-wootton-major-by-j-r-r-tolkien/

Unwin Paperbacks, London, 1983 (78pp).

Tolkien is most famous for one very long book that was published as three very long books and then made into three very long movies. His most well known average-sized book was then, in an act of either bravery or avarice but probably both, made into three very long movies. The book I am looking at is a fr
☪♥Magic Love Wonderland☯♥Love☮
Jun 05, 2016 ☪♥Magic Love Wonderland☯♥Love☮ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tolkien Fans and Fantasy Readers
Wotton Major holds a very special feast every 24 years... The Feast of Good Children.

This time at the Feast of Good Children a small boy, Smithson, ate his bit of the Great Cake slowly but didn't found anything in it..
Where could have the silver coin have got to?

This is a beautiful Faery Tale story by none other than master story teller, J.R.R Tolkien!
Contando Dragones
“El herrero de Wooton Mayor”, es una historia sobre los viajes de un personaje por el mundo de Fantasía. Nuevamente se nos presenta la idea de Tolkien de que existe un mundo mágico y maravilloso más allá de lo cotidiano, y que si nos atrevemos a franquear el portal (como hacen los medianos en “El hobbit” o “El señor de los anillos”), descubriremos esos paisajes que sólo la fantasía nos puede regalar. El estilo de este cuento, la magia que describe, me ha recordado a “Stardust”, la novela de Neil ...more
Sip
The two tales that comprise this book both contain similar elements of the said fantasy genre, that can also be contained in similar works. These two works are quite different from each other. The different ways each is written, the time in which they were written at from the author, and what they are written to be all contribute to making each what they are. Smith of Wootton Major shows the signs of many elements of fantasy in it. These combine in it as the closing and for many elements to be e ...more
Meg
Jan 18, 2016 Meg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very good fairy story. This would make for some lovely murals on a nursery wall. Or paintings with different scenes of fairy and the Feast of Twenty Four.
J D Murray
Jan 08, 2015 J D Murray rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A dear little book I don't seem to have read as a boy; or if I did, it's not tolling anything in the old belfry.

It's a real fairytale, and as such it bears more of a family resemblance to Stardust or Lud-in-the-Mist than to Lord of the Rings. It's a late work from an old master, short but deep, and deeply satisfying. It's a precious artefact, full of magic; it's about magic, and the end of magic. It's a book of marvels and adventures- and renunciation. It's not without a hint of the dreaded alle
Ben Kline
Jun 02, 2016 Ben Kline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A delightful fun JRR Tolkien piece of work. I went to the Hershey Public Library looking for a homebrew book, but they didn't have it, and browsing around I came across this, and having never even heard of it, I decided to give it a read.

It's a children's book and done really well, I will probably get it out again to read to my daughters once I'm done with the Narnia series. There's not a 'whole lot' to it, but it is about how to be respectful to others and to keep faith in the Faery kingdom, so
Mortimus Clay
May 26, 2009 Mortimus Clay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The most underappreciated of Tolkien's works and by my estimation his best. If you take to heart "On Fairy Stories" it could be argued that this small work most perfectly achieves his aesthetic ideal.
Chris Griffith
Oct 30, 2010 Chris Griffith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Boy swallows magic star and sees things differently. This book will break through the "watchful dragons of your heart." Be careful, it is dangerous but delicious! Fairy or Faerie; you decide?
Klarasaur
Ve Velké Lesné se co dvacet ctyri let koná slavnost pro deti, pri které se pece obrovský dort. Kuchar nalezne ve staré korence hvezdicku a spolu s dalšími „poklady“ ji do dortu zapece, aby ji nekteré z detí našlo. Sní ji kováruv synek, a když vyroste, hvezda se stane jeho vstupenkou do Carovné ríše, do které pak volne vchází a setkává se s jejími obyvateli – dokud nenastane cas hvezdu zase predat nekterému z detí.
Myslela jsem si, že carovná ríše bude více popsaná, a více magická, nadprirozená. T
sam(antha)
Jun 02, 2014 sam(antha) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Tempo fa, non molto per chi ha una buona memoria, e via da qui, non lontano per chi ha buone gambe, c'era un villaggio."

Una fiaba per bambini che una fiaba per bambini non è. Non esiste una giusta chiave di lettura per affrontare questo brevissimo, piacevole e tardivo racconto di Tolkien, che invita ciascuno a trovarne una propria e personale. L'accenno più marcato è quello al sacrificio volontario di cose che non ci appartengono di diritto e alla trasmissione del futuro - con fiducia - alle nu
  • The History of the Hobbit, Part Two: Return to Bag-End
  • Interrupted Music: The Making of Tolkien's Mythology
  • The Gospel According to Tolkien: Visions of the Kingdom in Middle-Earth
  • Saving the Appearances: A Study in Idolatry
  • J.R.R. Tolkien
  • The Shadow Guests
  • The Art of The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
  • The Lost Princess: A Double Story
  • The Complete Stalky and Co.
  • War in Heaven
  • The Company They Keep: C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien as Writers in Community
  • The Inklings: C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, Charles Williams, and Their Friends
  • The Lotus Caves
  • Defending Middle-Earth: Tolkien: Myth and Modernity
  • Lady Carliss and the Waters of Moorue (The Knights of Arrethtrae, #4)
  • J.R.R. Tolkien's Sanctifying Myth: Understanding Middle-Earth
  • The Journeys of Frodo
  • The Discarded Image: An Introduction to Medieval and Renaissance Literature
John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, CBE, was an English writer, poet, WWI veteran (a First Lieutenant in the Lancashire Fusiliers, British Army), philologist, and university professor, best known as the author of the high fantasy classic works The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings .

Tolkien was Rawlinson and Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford from 1925 to 1945, and Merton Professor of English lan
More about J.R.R. Tolkien...