Start by marking “Running with Joy” as Want to Read:
Running with Joy

Running with Joy

From the fastest American-born marathoner of all time, here is an intimate, day-by-day account of what it takes—physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually—to be one of the best in the world. This journal chronicles Ryan Hall’s 14-week preparation for the 2010 Boston Marathon, providing practical insights into the daily regimen of someone training at the absolute pe

Published (first published February 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Running with Joy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Running with Joy

Kelly Belvis
May 26, 2011 Kelly Belvis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: running
Ryan Hall has written an interesting journal. While it is not the most fast paced or literary read, it is worth reading to gain insight into the mindset of a competitive Christian runner. Hall's struggle to maintain his focus on the joy of running despite unsatisfactory training days and disappointing races was particularly interesting. Being a running geek I also enjoyed the informative sidebars and the mention of training aids such as massage, ice baths, altitude and hi/low training, compressi ...more
Erika
Apr 23, 2011 Erika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bought a signed copy of this book at the Boston marathon expo and I read it right away. It has great tips from an elite runner and it was fascinating reading about his daily routine in preparing for a marathon.
Berry Simpson
Aug 27, 2012 Berry Simpson rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-books
Well done. I was surprised that reading this training account from a world-class runner still made me feel like I was one-of-them.
Bill Zdon
Jan 20, 2014 Bill Zdon rated it liked it
Not sure where this ranks among my favorite running books although it's hardly fair to call this a book as it's more of a training log and it's pretty short (161 pages).

Ryan Hall is viewed by many as a polarizing figure in the running world because of how he speaks of his faith in the media. If you're offended/annoyed by the idea of someone being open and honest about their faith and the following words "legs felt pretty good" then you might not like this. Don't mistake that for Ryan being prea
Jeni Enjaian
Several months ago I added this to the wishlist of my Amazon account and ended up with it as a surprise Christmas present.

When I started reading I wasn't quite sure what to expect. I knew that it wasn't an advice book. I probably wouldn't have liked it as much. I've read a couple other running advice books written by elite marathoners and been a bit disappointed. Most of those are aimed at beginning runners and probably written with much help of a ghost writer or other expert.

This book however i
Jonathan Nichols
Dec 08, 2012 Jonathan Nichols rated it really liked it
Ryan Hall's training journals are a little sporadic at times, but I guess that would be characteristic of the fastest American Marathoner. It is inspiring to read about the highs and lows that he experiences in training and how he copes with the differnt obstacles he encounters on a day to day basis. Even though Hall is a devout Christian he spends most of his time in the book trying to have a "thankful heart." Faith and running do not mix in some people's view because it is deemed such a selfis ...more
Koji Kawano
Feb 27, 2013 Koji Kawano rated it liked it
Running With Joy is Ryan Hall’s daily running log between January 9, 2010 and April 20, 2010 with his personal thoughts about his training for Boston Marathon. Since he is one of the fastest American marathon runners today, I wanted to learn from his training and hoped to get inspired. While there are some good advises/thoughts and I learned about Ryan as a person better, I did not finish the book inspired. Read more.
Beth
Jan 01, 2013 Beth rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-reads
I really enjoyed reading this book, seeing more fully how Ryan truly lives out his faith as he trains and runs. Through this journal, you can see that even professional runners don't always have fantastic training days - they struggle mentally and physically with completing training runs, they get sick and inured too. And yet, they also persevere.

Very glad I got it from my secret santa in a running group!
Megan
May 08, 2013 Megan rated it it was ok
I saw this book on the library shelves and picked it up. It was disappointing. I thought it had such a great title. And then I found it was written by a Christian marathon winner. He talks about enjoying the gifts God has given us. If that is running, we should run with joy. But it is a training schedule book that calls for two runs per day. I just don't think that much running is possible for most people. I didn't finish the book.
Won Ho Kim
Aug 20, 2012 Won Ho Kim rated it really liked it
The good: Hall very much wants his faith to play a central role in his running career. He provides an interesting description of what that means and looks like in daily life. He also provides really helpful training tips.

The bad: The journal is somewhat repetitive. I found myself being able to finish his sentences.

Overall, as a runner, I really enjoyed reading such a personal account of a brutal training regiment before a major marathon.
Bob
Jan 10, 2013 Bob rated it really liked it
Enjoyed reading this book, mostly because I am a runner and I believe in running with joy with Christ. Nice mixture of a runner's diary & daily logs, with faith sharing intertwined. While I may never achieve Ryan Hall's success in running times, I am glad that I can share his faith and am grateful to know that I am not alone in my running journey with God!
Trey Meadows
Jan 30, 2014 Trey Meadows rated it really liked it
Awesome inspiration for runners of Christian faith. Less about the minute details of training and more about finding inner peace while chasing big dreams even when you come up short. This was about joy in the midst of trial and faith that the right path is worth the work even if things don't go exactly the way you envisioned.
Dustin
Jul 13, 2012 Dustin rated it it was ok
Shelves: running
Not a bad read, but wasn't exactly what I was expecting. Glad the money spent on the book went to support Hall's charity otherwise I would be disappointed in the money spent on the book. My public library didn't have a copy. I respect Ryan and his love for Christ. I hope he does well in London.
LeaAnn
Jun 11, 2011 LeaAnn rated it really liked it
Really liked it! The tips and insight into his training were great, but more than that, this book was about being content with where you are in your training (or life) even as you strive for your goals. Something I've been dealing with a lot lately and even wrote about on my blog.
Runphanie
May 13, 2011 Runphanie rated it really liked it
LOVE IT so far!! Easy read in a journal format. I love that I can read about his workouts and how fast he runs his speed work as well as how slow he runs his recovery runs. Above all he reminds you that what ever your task at hand is - to do it for joy - and that will be your reward!
Teri
Dec 16, 2013 Teri rated it liked it
I liked this book better when I started than when I finished, his thoughts that were fresh at the beginning became repetitive by the end. But overall a good reminder to try to see yourself as God does.
Juli
May 28, 2012 Juli rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Interesting journal of Ryan's lead up to the same Boston Marathon that I ran. He spends a lot of time discussion how his faith in God relates to his running. Always interesting to get to peak into the lives of elite runners.
Julianne Hyma
Oct 28, 2011 Julianne Hyma rated it liked it
I am inspired by Ryan's unfailing faith in God, even under less than perfect conditions...when workouts or races don't go as planned. I love that he is so outward with his faith. I can only wish for more of that 'gift' in my own life.
Cheng Gloria
Oct 01, 2013 Cheng Gloria rated it really liked it
Reminds me how blessed I am to be a Christian runner. Reminds me why I run. I run because I love running, because running makes me feel free and running makes me feel alive. Ryan hall is a respectable person for being so selfless to share his emotions with us.
Joshua Foote
Dec 30, 2013 Joshua Foote rated it liked it
Great book

awesome runner even though he is way better than I will ever even dream to be its nice to read about off days and pushing through them even though it's more of a training schedule than a book
Zuzana
Feb 21, 2012 Zuzana rated it it was amazing
A wonderful, inspiring read! I like Ryan even more now. It's a great book about running, but it's probably even more about faith and life in general than it is about running. I'd recommend it to runners and non-runners alike.
Emily
Feb 09, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading about his marathon journey! I found it very inspiring!
Chase Parnell
Jun 24, 2015 Chase Parnell rated it it was amazing
Incredibly inspiring.
Lindsey
May 29, 2012 Lindsey rated it really liked it
This makes me want to run...and run joyfully!!!
Bennjamin
Mar 16, 2013 Bennjamin rated it liked it
Glorified training manual, but gives the reader an insight into how one of the finest modern American distance runners trained and balanced work and spiritual life.
Joanna
Oct 25, 2012 Joanna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Quick read. Interesting information in a journal format.
Tim Gruber
Aug 14, 2011 Tim Gruber rated it really liked it
Hall's the man. At times a bit iffy and sounded a bit too egotistical. Crazy workouts nailed and some crazy mileage pounded out.
Taylor
Jan 04, 2012 Taylor added it
Interesting book detailing the training of a great American marathoner,and his outlook/approach to training and competition.
Kennedy Tsam
Kennedy Tsam rated it it was amazing
Nov 14, 2014
Maria
Maria rated it liked it
Nov 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • 14 Minutes: A Running Legend's Life and Death and Life
  • Duel in the Sun: Alberto Salazar, Dick Beardsley, and America's Greatest Marathon
  • Run to Overcome: The Inspiring Story of an American Champion's Long-Distance Quest to Achieve a Big Dream
  • Kara Goucher's Running for Women: From First Steps to Marathons
  • Bowerman and the Men of Oregon: The Story of Oregon's Legendary Coach and Nike's Co-founder
  • To Be a Runner: How Racing Up Mountains, Running with the Bulls, or Just Taking On a 5-K Makes You a Better Person (and the World a Better Place)
  • Running on Empty: An Ultramarathoner's Story of Love, Loss, and a Record-Setting Run Across America
  • Personal Record: A Love Affair with Running
  • Longing for More: Daily Reflections on Finding God in the Rhythms of Life
  • The Complete Book of Running
  • The Champion's Mind: How Great Athletes Think, Train, and Thrive
  • Marathon Man: My 26.2-Mile Journey from Unknown Grad Student to the Top of the Running World
  • Unafraid: Trusting God in an Unsafe World
  • Anatomy for Runners: Unlocking Your Athletic Potential for Health, Speed, and Injury Prevention
  • The Runner's Guide to the Meaning of Life: What 35 Years of Running Have Taught Me About Winning, Losing, Happiness, Humility, and the Human Heart
  • How Far Can You Go?: My 25-Year Quest to Walk Again
  • Running Through the Wall: Personal Encounters with the Ultramarathon
  • Finally The Bride: Finding Hope While Waiting
Ryan Hall is an American long distance runner. He won the marathon at the 2008 United States Olympic Trials and placed tenth in the Olympic marathon in Beijing. He holds the U.S. record in the half marathon (59:43). With his half marathon record time, he became the first U.S. runner to break the one hour barrier in the event.
More about Ryan Hall...