Start by marking “The Curse of the Mistwraith (Wars of Light & Shadow, #1; Arc 1, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Curse of the Mistwraith (Wars of Light & Shadow, #1; Arc 1, #1)

The Curse of the Mistwraith (Wars of Light and Shadow #1)

3.74  ·  Rating Details ·  4,183 Ratings  ·  189 Reviews

The stunning first volume in Janny Wurts’s epic tale of two half-brothers cursed to life-long enmity.

The world of Athera lives in eternal fog, its skies obscured by the malevolent Mistwraith. Only the combined powers of two half-brothers can challenge the Mistwraith’s stranglehold: Arithon, Master of Shadow and Lysaer, Lord of Light.

Arithon and Lysaer will find that they a

Published May 6th 2010 by HarperCollinsUK - Voyager (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Curse of the Mistwraith, please sign up.

Janny Politely - certainly not!!! If you had read the book, the conclusion would be obvious. You can verify the copyright dates, absolutely - this book was…morePolitely - certainly not!!! If you had read the book, the conclusion would be obvious. You can verify the copyright dates, absolutely - this book was first published in 1993.

The fact 'mistwraith' is a term in common - this book predated Mistborn by a long shot - rest assured, that is OK by me, as the two stories are totally different. Likely it's doubtful Sanderson was aware of the overlap.(less)

Mark Lawrence
The Curse of the Mistwraith is a book that had been sitting on a shelf in our bathroom for many years before I picked it up and blew off a thick layer of dust. I’d never heard of the book but I knew the author’s name well because she co-authored (with Raymond E Feist) one of my favourite fantasy trilogies, The Empire Trilogy. I’ve enjoyed a good number of other books penned by Raymondy all by himself, but I’ve always wondered how much of the magic in The Empire Trilogy came from Janny Wurts.

TCOT
seak
Apr 28, 2012 seak rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
The best thing I can come up with to describe this book is that it's the most frustratingly amazing book I've ever read.

I can see why The Curse of the Mistwraith is one of those love it or hate it kind of books. It's been called overly-long, overly-detailed, and overly-descriptive, but I didn't find that to be the case. Instead, I'd go with the word 'immersive,' a word more often used to describe imagery and 3D technology.

What polarizes readers of this book/series comes down to the writing. This
Carol.
May 16, 2016 Carol. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dedicated Wurts fans
Unfortunately, I did not enjoy Mistwraith at all. I literally was forcing myself to read 50 to 100 pages at a time, before I'd lose interest and set it down again. Had the plot been told in a more linear fashion, with less background and more actual action, I might have enjoyed it more.

The writing suffered from a disjointed structure and over-abundance of verbage. As in example, within the first twenty-seven pages of the book, we are treated to a "Prologue," written in historical fashion; a sea
Jim
Oct 23, 2014 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first book in a sweeping epic, it sets up a complex set of worlds & yet also has a ton of action. If you're looking for something that rivals the Lord of the Rings, I think this is it. If you're looking for a quick easy read, something you can skim through - don't read this book. You'll only get confused. Every word is hand picked & polished to wring out the full meaning.

While the book is a setup to a series, it doesn't end on a cliff hanger, something I appreciate. Actually, it coul
Stefan
Feb 16, 2015 Stefan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
"The Curse of the Mistwraith" took me completely by surprise. Based on (obviously mistaken) assumptions, I expected something completely different - epic fantasy, yes, but nothing even close to the gorgeous prose and astounding depth I found in this novel.

The plot of this story is hard to summarize, partly because there are so many twists and turns that it's almost impossible not to run into spoiler territory very quickly. Two half-brothers, Arithon and Lysaer, are on opposite sides of a confli
Jon
Mar 31, 2013 Jon added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jon by: Fantasy Book Club June 2009
Jon
Mar 07, 2016 Jon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jon by: Jim
5 stars

Posting my comment to Mark Lawrence's review of The Curse of the Mistwraith here:

Thanks, Mark, for your 'honest' review. I'm a huge fan of Janny's work and have read and reread Curse multiple times because Janny doesn't hand-hold her readers like most modern authors do these days. Janny expects real intelligence, not artificial or superficial intelligence, from her audience. I would bet that if I picked up Curse of the Mistwraith and reread it I would find even more depths and layers tha
Lorena
Jun 29, 2010 Lorena rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I'm giving up on this one on page 307 of about 600. It's just not grabbing me. Here are my problems with it:

1. I don't understand the basis for the system of magic being used, because it's never really explained. There are long, LONG passages where you read about WHAT the mages are doing, but have no idea HOW or WHY it is supposed to work. I have no idea if the efforts being made are likely to work or not, and so the descriptions fall pretty flat as far as building dramatic tension goes. I see n
Libby
Simply put, I loved this book. From the intriguing Prologue, to the turbulent climax, to the cautiously peaceful denouement, I loved this book. It was a reading experience and I am looking forward to continuing with the rest of this powerful series.

The main characters, half-brothers Lysaer and Arithon, are a living embodiment of Light and Dark in all its permutations: each always in contrast but both absolutely necessary to the other. Born on the splinter world of Dascen Elur and raised to loath
Sandra
Feb 11, 2013 Sandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
ETA 2/11/2013: This is a series that builds with beautifully woven detail. It takes persistence, because there are unreliable narrators, small clues that get lost first time through, etc. But by the time I got to book 9, Initiate's Trial, I saw much more clearly how all of it is woven together. The style takes some getting used to, but after halfway through it reads like butter. (end of edit)

This may have been one of the best books I've read. It certainly has one of the most complex, intriguing,
Chris
This is a fantasy epic that is truly 'epic'. It has a bit of everything, and a lot of some things. It is not an easy/quick 'summer' read. It takes concentration, patience, and quite a bit of faith to become completely absorbed and brought along to the book's climax (actually the second one). And at that point, it scores a winning run...

This is certainly one that will inspire two things: first, that I get ahold of the rest of the series and dive into them, and second, that in time I go back and r
Ron
Aug 20, 2009 Ron rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, maps
I give up. It's not often I quit a book, especially after having waded through 400+ pages (and it so highly recommended by readers I trust), but I'm going to be the odd man out on this one.

The farther I got, the less I liked it. I don't care if either prince dies or kills the other. Two-thirds of the way through they (maybe/kinda/sorta) conquered the Mistwraith, and took up trying to be kings. Paradoxically, the initiate enchantress Elaira seemed the best drawn character.

If it had been written f
Sandra
Jan 19, 2013 Sandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Well, either Goodreads has changed the way you can review books, or I didn't see how to post more than one review before. I've read this one at least 3 times, I enjoyed it that much.

There are two authors whose writing is dense and difficult but in the end reveals a story both exciting and addictive - Janny Wurts and Dorothy Dunnett. I've read and reread their works and never get tired of them.

This first book of what is to be an eleven book series is the introduction to a world of wonder, and in
Alissa
Jul 10, 2015 Alissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
April 2015: After the powerful ending of Stormed Fortress, the way the story threads converge, I was so satisfied that I had to start Initiate's Trial forthwith. And again, which wasn't easy, simply brilliant! A sweeping epic, unpredictable, top-notch characterization, never lagging and wrought in gorgeous prose. I'm constantly hungry for more.

March 2015: I'm currently reading Stormed Fortress, this series is simply awesome, a fantasy jewel of unique complexity and emotion of story and prose. My
Mike (the Paladin)
This is a good book, this is a well written book, and I wish I liked it better than I do. It is well constructed, it's a well laid out world (worlds?) and the characters are filled out and "fairly" true to themselves.

I can't say that the plot or the characters are particularly original (as some reviewers have)... though to be fair, how many "really" new or original stories and characters are there? Yes, I've seen the "archetypes". There are the brothers one light one dark...caught in destiny's
David Sven
I'm giving this away at 35%. I can't get past the style. It's not like its as hard or harder than reading say Erikson or Hamilton - its just boring me. At 35% I don't think I can put myself through another week of it. Which is a shame because I think the story could be quite good and I suspect the world created could be quite interesting. I like the underlying idea of the book, and I like that it's complex in world building. I really want to like this book. It's just the execution is a little wa ...more
Phoenixfalls
If I had read just the last 50 pages of this novel I would have been quite impressed. They are wonderfully moving, reminiscent (in a good way) of the section in The Return of the King after Sauron is defeated but before the hobbits head back to the Shire.

Unfortunately, those last 50 pages are not earned by the 540 pages before. The first 540 pages were really quite bad -- not because Wurts is a poor writer, but because she is a poor storyteller. The sentence-by-sentence writing is actually quite
Tracy Dobbs
I have had this book for many years, since it's original American release. The story that begins in this volume has incredible depth. There is magic, there is music, there is love and friendship and companionship; finally, there is deep-seated, curse-induced hatred and war(well, closer to a genocidal campaign). This book, indeed, the series as a whole, is not an "easy" read. It is complex and challenging and worth every second that is spent reading.
Allison
I'm not sure how I came across The Curse of the Mistwraith. It must be one of those Goodreads finds that unfortunately is not working out for me. I’ve fought to read this far, and I just can’t face it any longer. I took a break and tried to come back to it several times, only to find my determination to finish it waning with distance. Every time I try to start back up again, I get stuck. I keep trying to force myself through this one telling of the history of a sword, and it’s all very momentous ...more
Lucinda
Aug 20, 2012 Lucinda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Astonishing and remarkable, this series is exceptional…

The curse of the mistwraith volume one of the wars of light and shadow opened my eyes to the greatest fantasy series of all time that is a testimony to what a dedicated, visionary writer can achieve. I was blown away by the sheer originality and creativity that was on a par with JRR Tolkien in regards to its uniqueness and vastly detailed plot that was a delight to behold. This compelling book I was unable to put down as I lost myself withi
orannia
Aug 17, 2010 orannia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
*SIGH* This book is one of those that grips you tightly and takes you you on a journey... The writing is lyrical but comples, with layers of nuance. But the imagery... *speechless* It's not an easy read...it takes concentration to gleam understanding and the characters (and you) are more than put through the wringer. (And yes, there are still certain characters that I want to rip apart with my bare hands.) But...this book is so worth it. It has been over a decade since I first read it and yet it ...more
Chelsea
I like the *idea* behind the book, but I can't quite grasp the world she's cast it in. Like, who are these sorceresses and why do they all have a collective stick up their asses? What's with all the apostrophes? And for the high kings or whatever to have been so important, I feel like their only explanation was couched within the story of the sword.

********

I'm on my first rereading. I'm starting to grasp the plot better, and it's starting to become much easier to grasp and follow along, especial
Martin Davey
Feb 24, 2012 Martin Davey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another author who doesn't seem to get the recognition she deserves is Janny Wurts. When I see her name on a book I know I'm going to get wonderful writing, a compelling plot and some truly memorable characters and scenes.

I've only scored this book a four because of my own impatience in reading it. An impatience I think a lot of people might have felt when reading it and in many ways I guess it was a difficult book to write. Anybody drawn to this series already knows how this book ends. I know I
Katy Budget Books
Maryann says: The Mistwraith has blanketed the world in dank fog for five centuries. But those who believe the Mad Prophet's words keep faith that a descendant of the long ago banished high kings will come from another world to defeat it. . .

Susan
Dec 16, 2012 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is very hard to do justice to a book I find so amazing. This isn't the first time I've read it and it probably won't be the last. And that, to me, is one of the biggest reasons why it gets five stars. There isn't anything I don't like.
The rhythmn of Ms Wurt's writing captures me from page one; a lyricism to the prose I find compelling. I never have to question who or what or where, because, simply, I am there with the characters.
The story itself is the beginning of a fairly long series follow
Grimward
Aug 25, 2009 Grimward rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Am re-reading it now with the rest of the series (to-date) under my belt, and appreciating the different perspective I have on it!

In particular, Morriel seems much more introspective and empirical (read: almost human!)than on my previous reads. The captain of the headhunters' league, Pesquil, stood out more as well, and whether I just didn't give him due attention or my focus was elsewhere, his dialogue gave me an angle to the Tal Quorin sequence that I don't recall previously.

The book ages well
Blodeuedd Finland
I looked forward to this one, but I was bored by it and made it to p 50. Did I continue for another 500 pages, and 2 more books. Gods no!

The characters felt flat. The story never took off. I never connected to either people or events. I was stuck behind, looking on, not caring.
Kathy Davie
Jan 09, 2016 Kathy Davie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First in the Wars of Light and Shadows fantasy series revolving around a twist in how we perceive the Light and the Dark.

My Take
This is a conflict. The story is amazing. Wurts did a great job in creating an alternate world with excellent characters---especially in creating the "bad guy" whose point of view is perfectly reasonable. Considering what's been done to him! The difficulty---and the reason I downgraded it to a "4" is the sentence construction.

Wurts builds the most incredible sentences u
Greg (adds 2 TBR list daily) Hersom
The Mistwraith has blanketed the world in dank fog for five centuries. But those who believe the Mad Prophet's words keep faith that a descendant of the long ago banished high kings will come from another world to defeat it. Arithon, the son of a pirate-king, has been trained to be a Master of Shadows but his hearts desire is to be a bard. Crown-prince Lysaer has been denied the teaching needed to skillfully wield his powers of light, but is schooled in way of politics and leadership. Despite ha ...more
The Curse of the Mistwraith *first impressions* 20 26 May 29, 2015 12:13PM
Is The Curse of the Mistwraith for you? 3 24 May 07, 2015 10:31AM
Beyond Reality: * Wars of Light and Shadow, bibliography & map link 85 224 May 01, 2015 06:23PM
Beyond Reality: *SPOILER*Curse of the Mistwraith, complete story *SPOILER!* 149 124 Jan 03, 2015 10:16AM
  • Nights of Villjamur (Legends of the Red Sun, #1)
  • The Whitefire Crossing (Shattered Sigil, #1)
  • Lamentation (Psalms of Isaak, #1)
  • Flesh and Spirit (Lighthouse, #1)
  • A Magic of Twilight (The Nessantico Cycle, #1)
  • The Unremembered (The Vault of Heaven, #1)
  • The Winds of Khalakovo (Lays of Anuskaya, #1)
  • The Broken Crown (The Sun Sword, #1)
  • King's Dragon (Crown of Stars, #1)
  • The Adamantine Palace (The Memory of Flames, #1)
  • The Silver Skull (Swords of Albion, #1)
  • Blood of Ambrose (Morlock Ambrosius, #1)
  • The Ten Thousand (The Macht #1)
  • Royal Exile (Valisar, #1)
  • Magic Casement (A Man of His Word, #1)
  • Daggerspell (Deverry, #1)
  • Dawnthief (Chronicles of the Raven, #1)
  • Secrets of the Sands (Children of the Desert, #1)
Janny Wurts is the author of War of Light and Shadow series, and To Ride Hell's Chasm. Her eighteen published titles include a trilogy in audio, a short story collection, as well as the internationally best selling Empire trilogy, co authored with Raymond E. Feist, with works translated into fifteen languages worldwide. Her latest title in the Wars of Light and Shadow series, Initiate's Trial, cul ...more
More about Janny Wurts...

Wars of Light and Shadow (10 books)
  • The Ships of Merior (Wars of Light & Shadow, #2; Arc 2 - The Ships of Merior, #1)
  • Warhost of Vastmark (Wars of Light & Shadow, #3; Arc 2 - The Ships of Merior, #2)
  • Fugitive Prince (Wars of Light & Shadow, #4; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #1)
  • Grand Conspiracy (Wars of Light & Shadow #5; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #2)
  • Peril's Gate (Wars of Light and Shadow, #6; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #3)
  • Traitor's Knot (Wars of Light & Shadow #7; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #4)
  • Stormed Fortress (Wars of Light and Shadow, #8; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #5)
  • Initiate's Trial (Wars of Light and Shadow, #9; Arc 4 - Sword of the Canon, #1)
  • Destiny's Conflict (Wars of Light & Shadow #10; Arc 4 - Sword of the Canon, #2)

“An illusion threatens no one with harm. Neither can it be dispelled by armed force.” 10 likes
“All things were formed of energy, arrangements of bundled light that were subject to natural law. The awareness of this truth, defined to absolute perfection, granted the mage-trained their influence. To know a thing, to encompass its full measure in respect was to hold its secrets in mastery. Life-force was the basis of all power.” 3 likes