Start by marking “The End: Five Queer Kids Save The World” as Want to Read:
The End: Five Queer Kids Save The World

The End: Five Queer Kids Save The World

3.31  ·  Rating Details  ·  75 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
When World War Three breaks out, seventeen-year-old Julia is on a school trip to Amsterdam, while fourteen-year-old Marly is trapped in a prison for delinquent girls. They both discover magical amulets, and try their best to save themselves and those around them. But it looks like their best will not be enough, as nuclear war threatens the survival of the human race.

On her
Published December 15th 2010 by Prizm Books

To ask other readers questions about The End, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The End

Rachel Brown
Five queer kids save the world after an apocalypse!

With that premise, I expected to enjoy the book a lot more than I actually did. It’s largely a comedy, with the apocalypse caused by Muldoona, a Goddess lurking in her Fortress of Despair and eating peeled grapes. Humor is the most subjective of forms, and others might well find this book funnier than I did. I mostly found it totally unfunny.

The first chapter introduces Skilly, a bisexual 5000-year-old caveman in a 17-year-old body, due to hav
Nina at Death Books and Tea

Review:Skilly is sailing, Ginger and Julia are on a school trip, Marly is in prison and Vikki is out of rehab for bulimia when nuclear war looms. Fate brings them together, these teenagers (aside from Skilly, who’s thousands of years old) who have amulets blessing them with various powers. Romances quickly form, but they have other problems- an ancient goddess is rather upset with her husband and is hellbent on destroying the earth.
It’s really nice seeing books with LGBT characters in which the
Jasper Mancebo
I really wanted to like this book. A book with 5 lgbt main characters, and it was dystopian/fantasy/sci-fi to boot? It was like a dream come true. However, I could not get through it. The books writing style was not for me, and the way it handled some subjects was a little heavy handed. That being said, I'm still glad this book was written, because the basic idea behind it was wonderful.
Samantha Boyette
Feb 16, 2013 Samantha Boyette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
This was one of those books that once I started it I could barely put it down. I was immediately pulled into the story and concerned for all the characters. I'm not sure what it was that made me like all of them so quickly, but I did.

The beginning nicely sets up a world at the very end of its rope. Nuclear war has begun at the urging of an irate god. Now, this whole bit of the plot is a little weak, but I'll ignore it because I loved the rest so much.

What about the rest did I love? The relatio
Emmie
Mar 29, 2014 Emmie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Erin
Jun 16, 2014 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads, fantasy
I graciously won a free copy from first reads giveaway!

This book is about a handful of adolescents who have to save the world from an evil god.

This was a very easy read and finished the book within a couple of days. I would say that I think this book is for teen readers.

Overall this book was good. I didn't like how the author wrapped up the book, but that's just because I like things nice and neat with a pretty bow on at the end.

Would recommend to youth or anyone looking for an easy summer read
Lili Kathey
Jan 07, 2014 Lili Kathey rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
Was this bad or was this bad? Answer: this was real fucking bad. I don't even think I can explain why, except that no character was credible and/or relatable and the plotline (and how unrealistically people reacted) was ew.
Jazmin Rivas
Apr 05, 2013 Jazmin Rivas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a fantastic book. It was totally fun to read about queer kids. I could barely put it down! It starts out interesting with a Nuclear war. But a little bit of the plot was weak, but i still loved it. The most I loved was that the kid's friendship was so realistic. Each of the queer kid's story was so fantastic! I would highly recommend this book.
Leisa
May 19, 2012 Leisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Creative and fun. A fast read for a rain evening.
Shante
Feb 02, 2014 Shante rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2016
Peggy
Peggy marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Tricia
Tricia marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Trinity
Trinity marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Sarah rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2016
stormy
stormy marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Jedidiah
Jedidiah marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Candace_Candy_
Candace_Candy_ marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Greb
Greb marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Ky
Ky marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
Pan Chava
Pan Chava marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
Dani
Dani marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
Serena
Serena marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Alan
Alan rated it did not like it
Feb 26, 2016
Hadrian
Hadrian marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Sybil
Sybil marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2016
LookinAndBookin
LookinAndBookin marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2016
Lolobull
Lolobull rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2016
  • Transparent: Love, Family, and Living the T with Transgender Teenagers
  • Sister Mischief
  • Breathing Underwater
  • Gravity
Nora Olsen's debut novel, The End: Five Queer Kids Save The World, was published by Prizm Books in December 2010. It's the story of five LGBT teens who must travel through time to avert a nuclear war. Her second novel, Swans & Klons, was published Bold Strokes Books' Soliloquy imprint in May 2013 and is a dystopian YA novel about two girls who fall in love as they join the struggle to free ens ...more
More about Nora Olsen...