Start by marking “Death Has a Name (Brodie Wade, #1)” as Want to Read:
Death Has a Name (Brodie Wade, #1)

Death Has a Name (Brodie Wade #1)

There is a Truth that exists. It is active.

Alive.

It fights the bounds of reality to make itself known. It's not my truth. It's not anyone's truth. It is The Truth.

Published January 19th 2011 by Createspace (first published December 19th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Death Has a Name, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death Has a Name

Masquerade by Cambria HebertPrecipice by Melissa Luznicky GarrettBefore by Cambria HebertComing Home by Sarah R. YoffaWhiteout by Cambria Hebert
Must Buy Smashwords Books
107th out of 456 books — 447 voters
Arielle by Lilian RobertsEnigma Black by Sara Furlong BurrLone Wolf Rising by Jami BrumfieldSouthern Mystical Moments by Patricia H. GrahamThe Meat Market by James Chalk
Indie Science Fiction, Fantasy, Paranormal
429th out of 463 books — 508 voters

More lists with this book...

Keryl Raist
Mar 20, 2011 Keryl Raist rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Death Has a Name by Jerry Hannel is a lovely bit paranormal mystery. Several other reviewers of this book claimed they couldn't put it down, and while that wasn't literally true for me, it was as close to being true as I ever get with a book.

So, what is so wonderful about this little gem? Brodie Wade.

There's a term from fan fiction that has crept into the world of original fiction: Mary Sue (or if male, Gary Stu). A Mary Sue is a character that can do anything. She's got amazing powers, gorgeo
John Pearson
Mar 16, 2011 John Pearson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Death Has a Name, by Jerry Hanel, is a very engrossing, entertaining, paranormal mystery. Brodie Wade, the reluctant psychic, is a novel character, well written and believable, and fun to follow!
I thought the descriptions of "The Truth," which would appear as white wisps of smoke coming from certain items and people, and which would occasionally manifest itself as benign OR dangerous beings, was fascinating. I also really liked reading about the Guardians and their special script. I would like t
Carl
Feb 10, 2011 Carl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did like the book a bit more than 3 stars but 3 1/2 isn't an option. I found the book well written with a novel plot dealing with detectives and a universe beyond what mere mortals experience. There was subtle humor, mystery, suspense, and paranormal activities throughout. I would have enjoyed a little deeper character development beyond our hero, the likable Brodie Wade. I also thought that the ending wrapped up very quickly and could have been developed a bit stronger. I don't like to give ...more
Debra Martin
Jan 23, 2016 Debra Martin rated it really liked it
DEATH HAS A NAME is a smart inventive story that puts a unique spin on The Truth, not my truth or your truth, but THE TRUTH. For Brodie Wade, The Truth is something he can see and must obey unquestioningly or suffer the consequences. And suffer he does—from traumatizing physical abuse to being declared insane in his childhood. The author does an excellent job of slowly revealing Brodie’s back-story throughout the book and it only makes you root more for this damaged young man.

Brodie has channel
Jaidis Shaw
Mar 28, 2011 Jaidis Shaw rated it really liked it
Death Has a Name by Jerry Hanel is the griping tale of Death and the lengths people must go to in order to keep him at bay. We are introduced to Brodie Wade who knows all to well that there are things that can't easily be explained all around us. As a child he was thought to be insane and did his time in the nut house. Finally given a clean bill of sanity at sixteen, Brodie used his gift to help the police solve cases that were unexplainable. Brodie's gift tests him daily as he fights to lead a ...more
Glenn Bullion
Mar 07, 2011 Glenn Bullion rated it it was amazing
A very solid detective / paranormal story. Death Has a Name centers around a psychic detective named Brodie Wade. I like the universe that Jerry created here. At least with Brodie, he just doesn’t see visions or touch and know things, like your typical psychics. In this he deal with the Truth. The Truth is like a universe mirrored onto our own, with apparitions and entities, and Wade can communicate in that realm. But if he doesn’t listen to what they have to say, they can actually harm him.
It w
Sandy
Feb 11, 2011 Sandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
I enjoyed this book. It's nice to see something different in Urban Fantasy for a change instead of the usual kick ass hero or heroine. But I would have liked to have had more character development for some of the secondary characters. If another Brodie Wade book comes out I'd read it.
Alice Yeh
May 19, 2011 Alice Yeh rated it really liked it
Brodie Wade is unlike the typical example of a "psychic detective". For one thing, he is neither debonair nor overtly creepy. For another, The Truth, a strange combination of a spiritual realm and an abstract concept, is more of a handicap than a gift, one that has physically tortured him and inadvertently removed him from a loving mother's care. In a twisted form of symbiosis, it has also put a roof over his head.

It is difficult to pin this novel into any one genre. First and foremost, it's a m
Celia
May 11, 2011 Celia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: celia-can-read
Storyline: Gah! I have no puns! Death Has a Name by the talented Jerry Hanel is great – puns or no puns!

Poor Brodie Wade. He’s had a rough go with life. From being taken from his mother to institutionalized to dealing with his psychic abilities. The Truth (as Brodie knows it) is always trying to tell him its story and guide him into helping those around him.

After a couple of beheadings, he and Det. Dawson must work together to figure out if the Midnight Killer is back from the grave or if this i
Jennie
Apr 30, 2012 Jennie rated it really liked it
I don't usually gush. And I don't usually have high expectations of free kindle books. But this book was fantastic and much better developed that I would have hoped for.

I absolutely LOVE a good character driven story, and this book was propelled by the fact that Brodie is one of the most interesting characters I have ever read. Many times paranormal books ignore the fact that they are set in the "real world" and focus solely on the paranormal aspect figuring that you'll just suspend your disb
-RadioActiveBookWorm-
Apr 06, 2014 -RadioActiveBookWorm- rated it really liked it
Goodreads Synopsis: There is a Truth that exists. It is active.
Alive.
There are times when select individuals can see and interact with The Truth, but Brodie Wade has been able to interact with it since he was a child. It has scarred his mind and body, but it also gives him the ability to know things that he shouldn't know. Thus, he has taken employment as a psychic detective.
Working
Marianne
Mar 06, 2013 Marianne rated it really liked it
This is the first self-published book I've ever read. I started it with misgivings -- I've heard the horror stories about self-pub -- but was pleasantly surprised.

Brodie Wade is a psychic who works with the police. Unlike a lot of urban fantasy heroes, he isn't a bad ass. He's almost an anti-hero in places, a bit neurotic and unsure of himself in public (for good reason), although he comes through in the end. I started out thinking he was an annoying wuss, but he ended up rather endearing. I ev
Bames
Mar 31, 2014 Bames rated it liked it
Jerry Hannel's book, Death Has a Name, is an interesting read. The story centers on a psychic named Brody Wade. He works with different police departments when they need a little help solving crimes.

Wherever Brody goes, he sees wisps of smoke which he tries his best to ignore. He calls them signs of The Truth. He has been seeing and hearing The Truth since he was a small boy and was even institutionalized because of it. However, ignoring The Truth is not a good idea because The Truth can bite a
NaiNai
Aug 07, 2012 NaiNai rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, kindle
Once again, a story where the concept is more interesting than the execution. I can't quite remember what I first thought upon hearing that The Truth spoke to Brodie and helped him solve mysteries; just that my expectations did not match the book.

A man who hears The Truth, who must solve the mystery of how an executed serial killer has escaped from the grave, and must in the meantime protect a woman who seems to know too much from the forces after her... It has all the makings of a truly fascina
Bryan Kornele
Aug 04, 2011 Bryan Kornele rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, 2011
Kevin
Apr 08, 2011 Kevin rated it it was amazing
Jerry Hanel's Death Has A Name is a captivating novel that seamlessly blends fantasy elements with a real world setting to create a story that is both intriguing and compelling. It follows the plight of Brodie Wade, a man with psychic abilities driven by a force simply known as The Truth.

What I enjoyed the most about Mr. Hanel's book was the descriptions of Brodie's interaction with The Truth. Sometimes sudden, sometimes gradual, sometimes creepy, sometimes funny, The Truth made itself known in
Rkb 2015
Mar 14, 2015 Rkb 2015 rated it really liked it
Brodie Wade is psychic and can see The Truth as an alternate reality, and he sees it as beings who come to him to get his attention to solve their murders, etc. He works with national and international police agencies to solve cold case files. In this case he is assisting NYPD Detective, and personal friend, Dawson to solve a series of beheadings. The Truth informs him that he has to solve this to prevent the release of Death upon the Earth.

Lots of action, well-developed characters and plot. Gr
Kathy
Mar 14, 2015 Kathy rated it really liked it

Lots of action, well-developed characters and plot. Gr
Deniece Huffman
Apr 16, 2013 Deniece Huffman rated it liked it
I would have given this 3 1/2 stars, but that wasn't an option so it got 3.

I'm torn on whether or not I loved this book. I didn't really love it , but at the same time, I finished it in 2 evenings. So it must have had something that kept me interested, right?

I didn't really like the main character at first, but he grew on me especially after we learn more of his background.

It's free right now for Kindles, maybe other ereaders too, so I would recommend downloading it, and giving it a try.
Hyacinth
Mar 02, 2014 Hyacinth rated it really liked it
This book started out slow for me. I was thinking about putting it on the back burner to try again later. I decided to pick it back up and finish it...so glad that I did. I liked the different personalities of the characters. I loved the spiritual innuendos. It was like reading a story within a story for me. I got a whole different spiritual perspective about death. In the end? Good stuff, good book. I look forward to reading book two.
Jo
Dec 16, 2012 Jo rated it really liked it
Shelves: jerry-hanel
A quick read and not too cluttered with sub-plots. Great title, because it's what pique my interest in the first place, aside from the fact it was a free book at iTunes. Conclusion...good title + good story...what else is there to say. Oh..oh.. must not forget about the cat! Yeah, this one, I give extra kudos because it has a cat...;) and the male protagonist love his cat (I can relate to it). I don't know many guys whether fictional or real life who likes cats. LOL...

Ruth
Jul 26, 2016 Ruth rated it it was ok
Shelves: spec-fic
This was not the worst kindle freebie that I have read. The writing style was tolerable but the plotting needed some work. Admittedly, the plot device which involves the framing of the protagonist is a personal no-no but there did seem to be some issues with what the story was really all about. It was kind of like the 'mists of Truth' that the story kept mentioning. unable to recommend at this time.
Kristy
Interesting. I thought it was a unique idea: not much is ever said in the Bible of the Angel of Death after he's let loose in Genesis, so the idea of him having to be locked up somewhere was quite new. I really liked Brodie Wade as well, he makes for a good hero in the story. I have the second part downloaded on my Kindle too, so I'll definitely be following the series.
Paul
Aug 28, 2013 Paul rated it liked it
First book? Nicely done. I admit my fascination with these otherworldly kind of books kept me interested. Hanel writes simply, but with enough intrigue to keep you hooked. While not necessarily a literary masterpiece, I found Hanel's style to be engaging and a great first venture. I'll definitely read the next.
AvidReader47
Death Has a Name by Jerry Hanel was just okay for me. Brodie Wade is a physic police detective who has a really bad smoking problem and loves his cat Sophie. Brodie sees "The Truth" which is death that's happened or will happen. Some parts were over the top, but kept my interest. Will most likely try reading another Brodie Wade installment if one comes out.
Bryan457
Quite a good little urban fantasy with an intriguing main character.

I liked Brodie and his cat.

The Truth was alien and almost too cryptic.

The writing style was a bit spare for my taste. I like a bit more background, detail, explanation around events.
Dominique Hutches
Jul 20, 2016 Dominique Hutches rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, mystery
Brodie the psychic and Phil Dawson the homicide detective are trying to determine if a psychopath has somehow come back to life. The mystery developed well, but the ending was a little flat. I'll be interested to see how the characters age in the next book.
Karen Graham
Jan 21, 2016 Karen Graham rated it it was amazing
Shelves: oklahoma-author
Looking for a book that's difficult to put down? This is it! This was a great read! A good combination of murder mystery and paranormal, with a wonderful command of creating suspense and angst. This was the first book I've read from Jerry Hanel and it won't be my last.
Carly Fall
Oct 26, 2013 Carly Fall rated it it was amazing

I picked up this book on whim, and I'm glad I did. I loved the concept of The Truth, and the story was good and kept my interest. I think this is a great start to a series, and I'm off to pick up book 2!
Mike
Jul 23, 2014 Mike rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery
This book sucked. Main character is a whiner and uninteresting. He and the other characters are flatter than a one shot guest star in an episode of Murder She Wrote. Plot was predictable and less complex than a comic book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Bad Radio (Emergent Earth, #1)
  • Justice Incarnate (Shadows of Justice, #1)
  • On Unfaithful Wings (Icarus Fell, #1)
  • Mystery Dance: Three Novels
  • Silas
  • Synthetic: Dark Beginning
  • The Grave Artist
  • Visions of Evil
  • Dream Walker (Paperback)
  • The Awakening (Rebirth Trilogy, #1)
  • Fall: The Last Testament of Lucifer Morningstar
  • Price of a Bounty
  • King’s X: Anthology
  • Mighty Hammer Down
  • Grave Situation
  • Persephane Pendrake and the Cimaruta
  • The Night Girl: The Complete Series (All 8 Books)
  • Divine Intervention (Divine Trilogy, #1)

Brodie Wade (2 books)
  • Thaloc Has a Body (Brodie Wade, #2)

“Phil picke dup his coffee cup,” 0 likes