Start by marking “The Tomb (Adversary Cycle, #2) (Repairman Jack, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Tomb (Adversary Cycle, #2) (Repairman Jack, #1)

The Tomb (Adversary Cycle, #2) (Repairman Jack #1)

4.05  ·  Rating Details ·  6,292 Ratings  ·  477 Reviews

Much to the chagrin of his girlfriend, Gia, Repairman Jack doesn't deal with electronic appliances--he fixes situations for people, situations that usually involve putting himself in deadly danger. His latest project is recovering a stolen necklace, which carries with it an ancient curse that may unleash a horde of Bengali demons. Jack is used to danger, but this time Gia'
Published March 15th 2011 by Doherty, Tom Associates, LLC (first published 1984)

Dirk Grobbelaar

All she could do was stand there and scream.

Indeed.

This book has a good number of things going for it. I particularly enjoyed the characterization of Repairman Jack. There are also some Lovecraftian references that fans will recognize.

Striding down the dark passage like the avatar of a vengeful god, came Jack.

I can imagine that followers of the Agent Pendergast series (Relic), the Charlie Parker series (Every Dead Thing) or the Harry Dresden series (Storm Front) would enjoy this, especially co
Felicia
Jan 31, 2009 Felicia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-paranormal
YES! A great series like the "Dresden Files", Simon Green's Nightside etc. A nice break from all the romance-y stuff I've been reading lately. Really great lead, interesting protagonist and storyline. I really love this series and will read many more!
David Sven
Jul 27, 2015 David Sven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, thriller
Harry Dresden without magic and more violent and more Horror than Urban Fantasy. Repairman Jack takes on jobs that require vigilante justice - "fixing" problems in a way that the usual law enforcement and judiciary can't.

Excellent pacing. Believable(ish) story. Scary monsters. Some genuine suspenseful moments. A step up from book one The Keep.

4 Stars

PS: I don't know why this book is called The Tomb - There is no Tomb!
Dave
Dec 18, 2008 Dave rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The only book I have read in the "Repairman Jack" series, and, I think, the last.
Repairman Jack is a below-the-radar fixit guy that "repairs" problems for people. Although he's supposed to be cool and dangerous, he comes across as kind of an idiot man-child to me. He has all these ridiculous methods for keeping his identity secret yet he invites a strange woman up to his apartment early on in the book. He goes to the same bar every single time to interview clients and shops at the same store nea
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Sep 11, 2009 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of occult detective novels, kickbutt heroes, and lesser-used folklore elements
I was going to give this three stars, but I realize it deserves more. I think I heard it raved about so much that I expected to like it more. Had I gone into The Tomb with lower expectations, I would have no hesitation in rating it higher. That is why I hate to read books after they are so hyped. It just spoils the experience.

Repairman Jack is just an awesome character. He is a person who exists outside of the system. He simply dropped off the 'grid.' He doesn't pay taxes, and he doesn't feel li
Mark
Dec 31, 2007 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: F. Paul Wilson fans
Shelves: horror
"The Tomb", by F. Paul Wilson, is the SECOND book in his "Adversary Cycle" series and the FIRST book in his "Repairman Jack" series.

This novel introduces New Yorker Repairman Jack, a man with no permanent last name (it varies with the ID he's carrying at the time) and no records of his existence (he either had them erased or doesn't reference them at all anymore). His job is to fix things that the police can't or won't fix. Sometimes this involves hurting or killing people, which is why his ex-g
Ms. Nikki
Jack is a fixer. He fixing things. Not your electronics, but real problems involving people and sometimes more.

Jack had a girlfriend Gia, who couldn't cope with who he was and what he did for a living and she left. 2 months later she calls. A relative of her ex-husband has disappeared and they need his help.

This makes Gia and Jack rub each other the wrong way even though they both still have feelings for each other.

The story goes on with Jack investigating the kidnapping, but things take on a su
Susan
Oct 11, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was excited to start this series about this mysterious character Repairman Jack. Jack is a kind man with a little something extra, however, he feels the need to show himself to his family and friends as an underachiever and a bit of a thug. He does this with the hope of hiding his peculiar profession.

When he is asked by an ex girlfriend to help find her missing Aunt he is also contacted by a very strange, foreign man, with deep pockets, who is desperate to have him find a stolen family heirlo
Mike (the Paladin)
Some years ago I read The Keep. My wife liked it some, I on the other hand wasn't all that impressed. It was the last thing by Mr Wilson I read...till now. A couple of years ago someone suggested to my wife and I that we try the Repairman Jack books, but I never got around to it.

Till now.

I've got to say I liked this book. It's not great literature in the "classic sense" (you may hear that pronounced in a sophisticated accent if you wish). This book started out as what might be called a fairly st
Stephen
4.0 to 4.5 stars. First of the Repairman Jack Novels. This is a very well written story with a fantastic main character, namely Repairman Jack. Not your normal everyday repairman, Jack "fixes" problems for people and he is very good at what he does. Won't give away too much of the plot other than to say it has intrigue, Indian Mythology, demons and a rather nasty revenge/curse thrown in for good measure. Recommended.
Chloe
Sep 04, 2009 Chloe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chloe by: ScottK
Beginning a new series is always a dicey prospect for me. Will it be my kind of series? Will it become my newest temporary addiction, with me scrounging the net to find each and every book in the collection? Will it cause me to begin fantasizing about what it'd be like to exist within that universe? With all these questions rattling about my head, it should be understandable that I was hesitant to begin the Repairman Jack series- especially because I'm loathe to begin a series that has not come ...more
Stacey
Sep 06, 2009 Stacey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A few weeks ago, I was wishing for another pulpy guilty-pleasure series to read; I'm jonesing a bit, since it will be at least 4 more months until the next Dresden fix, heh. One of my IRL friends - the same pusher that hooked me on Dresden - has been trying to get me lit on Repairman Jack. I caved in a moment of weakness.

But...

It's pretty damn good! I saw "series," and assumed "ditch." I forgot that Wilson was already well-established by the time he wrote The Tomb, and that the rest of the seri
Siew Ee
Feb 07, 2013 Siew Ee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading this book brings to mind other paranormal series involving male protagonists ie. Jim Butcher’s Harry Dresden series, Kevin Hearne’s Iron Druid Chronicles and Rob Thurman’s Cal & Niko Leandros series. I also couldn’t help but notice that unlike the others who have supernatural powers, Repairman Jack is essentially human, with all the human frailties and limitations.

What Jack lacks in supernatural gifts (found abundantly in Harry Dresden, Cal Leandros and Atticus Sullivan), he’s suppo
Jason
Nov 23, 2014 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, read-2014
4 Stars

I really enjoyed this Urban Fantasy that is the start to the Repairman Jack series. It seems that I really enjoy this genre when it is not centered on teenage romance and angst. Wilson has created a main character in Jack that I can really get behind. The world that he has created is very much like our own but with just a little bit more.

The highlights of this read is the page turning writing style. The awesome hero Jack. And the fabulous Indian folklore and creature that is at the heart
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
3.5 stars but I'm rounding up to 4 because that's what I would have given it if I'd read it with 1984 sensibilities which was when it was published. It was that era when only lip-service was given to equality. It was "accepted" that women were equal and strong and smart but all that meant was having them say a few smart things or show interest in what was going on or just having femal characters. The same went for people of color. We weren't there yet for any other minority groups.

So Wilson's wo
Seizure Romero
So... I realize this book was originally published in 1984. It's a little dated. This copy has "Author's Definitive Edition" across the cover and "This revised edition was previously published in 2004 as Rakoshi by Borderlands Press" on the copyright page (this paperback edition was published in 2006). Repairman Jack books have been popping up on my radar for a few years now, and I've been wanting to read the first in the series to see if I want to dive in. I like the premise.

The writing can be.
Kristen
Aug 04, 2012 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first - and THE first - Repairman Jack book, and I really enjoyed it. Well written and super-exciting.

Repairman Jack isn't your average repairman. He doesn't fix appliances or broken fences. He "fixes" things for people who can't, or won't go to the regular authorities for help with problems. Jack is the last resort for people who are desperate for help and have nowhere else to go.

Jack doesn't exist as far as the "normal" world is concerned. He doesn't have a bank account, a social
Eric Bauman
Oct 05, 2011 Eric Bauman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
This is a re-read. To give you an idea of my opinion of the book, I have read this book a few times already. As I was going through it again this time, the last ninety pages of the book came out of the binding as a chunk and landed on the table. So I downloaded the book for my eReader and finished it that way (I couldn’t wait for it to be delivered to me and Barnes & Noble, while sort of close, isn’t really convenient).

This is the first book of the “Repairman Jack” series and the second book
Nancy Oakes
Feb 12, 2008 Nancy Oakes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
This book is the second in Wilson's "Adversary Cycle."

I wasn't sure what to expect when I started this but it was really really fun!!! I really enjoyed the story. Here you have to look past character development, believable plotline, depth and range of evoked emotion....etc etc...and just have some fun with it and let yourself go.

The story line is something along these lines:

"Repairman" Jack is a man with no legal identity...no SSN, no car, no license, no nothing. He is much like the Equalizer,
John
Dec 09, 2013 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, thriller
Repairman Jack is my kinda guy. He wears classic rock t-shirts, eats sugary cereals for breakfast, and adores kitschy old black-and-white horror films. He also solves people's problems for them--which, of course, is what makes him the Repairman.
In THE TOMB, Jack's ex-lover asks him to track down a missing family member. Sounds simple enough, right? Well, not when you throw an ancient curse, a pack of monsters, a homicidal U.N. diplomat, and some magical jewelry into the mix.
If it's deep, soul-se
Skip
Feb 05, 2011 Skip rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, horror
First of the Repairman Jack series. Jack lives "off the grid" and works to fix problems that others cannot, usually the police. He is drawn into two cases, which quickly become intertwined: the theft of a necklace of a UN diplomat's mother and the disappearance of his ex-girlfriend's spinster aunt. Involving the desecration of a Bengalese temple and rakoshi, retribution is the theme here. A bit far fetched, but Jack rules.
Mandy
Apr 01, 2009 Mandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mandy by: ScottK
Shelves: five-stars
Oh, wow, this book was fantastic! Unfortunately I was meant to be reading it with a very good friend here on GR and oops, I got carried away and started/finished before I should have (sorry, Jeremy). But once I picked this book up I was loathe to put it down. Thank you ScottK for loving this book so much and talking about it, you've now started me on a weird and wonderful ride with Repairman Jack. This series is quite a long one so I had better get to purchasing those books.
Hudson
Feb 26, 2015 Hudson rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
** did not finish, left off at about 60%**

This book was just not for me which surprised me because I really liked Midnight Mass.

I thought it was a little slow and for whatever reason the character just didn't grab me. Think I'll stick to his horror books.
Tim The Enchanter
This one will be hard to review. It is a bit Urban Fantasy, a bit horror and a crime thriller. At times it was average while at other times it was downright interesting. It is like a Harry Dresden without the wizard powers (although Repairman Jack was first so its not a fair comparison) Review to Follow
Charles
Jul 18, 2008 Charles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I believe this was the second book by Wilson. Also good, although I think I liked the Keep somewhat better. I remember more about The Keep.
Bridget
Jun 26, 2011 Bridget rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More like 3.5 stars Solid supernatural mystery reminded me a bit of Dresden files
Debra
Feb 19, 2011 Debra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stephen King says: “THE TOMB is one of the best all-out adventure stories I’ve read in years.”

I say: Repairman Jack rocks!
Sandy Jay
Sep 27, 2009 Sandy Jay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was just as good the second time around.
David Agranoff
The Tomb By F.Paul Wilson (Repairman Jack book #1, Adversary cycle #3)
*****
448 pages
Tor books
So here is folks, were starting a journey here. Little personal background before I start this review. February 2010 I took a workshop for novelists called Borderlands. There was an author who taught apart of the workshop on “plotting” named F.Paul Wilson. I was already a fan thanks to Wilson’s classic horror novel “The Keep.” The reason he is teaching plotting is clear and this novel the Tomb is a good
Tiina
A fun and entertaining read.

This is a bit of an unusual book- it starts out like your typical "regular world" mystery/ thriller, but gradually we and the Repairman Jack get pulled in into a world of supernaturals, curses and magic. It was a shock, to say the least, to our rational non-believing protagonist, but he shook it off and kept on going. This book has a streak of horror to it, but it is the good kind of horror- more built on suspense and genuinely creepy, scary situations rather than cop
  • Stalking the Dragon
  • Southern Gods
  • The Meq
  • Hunt at the Well of Eternity (Gabriel Hunt, #1)
  • Ghoul  (Special X, #2)
  • The Panama Laugh
  • Ghost Country (Travis Chase, #2)
  • The World on Blood
  • You Come When I Call You
  • Children of the Night
  • Hunter
  • Who Fears The Devil
  • No Dominion (Joe Pitt, #2)
  • Draculas
  • Hive (Hive, #1)
  • Body Rides
  • Renegades (The Colony, #2)
  • Siege (Scope #1)
20561
Francis Paul Wilson is an author, born in Jersey City, New Jersey. He writes novels and short stories primarily in the science fiction and horror genres. His debut novel was Healer (1976). Wilson is also a part-time practicing family physician. He made his first sales in 1970 to Analog and continued to write science fiction throughout the seventies. In 1981 he ventured into the horror genre with t ...more
More about F. Paul Wilson...

Repairman Jack (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Legacies  (Repairman Jack, #2)
  • Conspiracies (Repairman Jack, #3)
  • All the Rage (Repairman Jack, #4)
  • Hosts (Repairman Jack, #5)
  • The Haunted Air (Repairman Jack, #6)
  • Gateways (Repairman Jack, #7)
  • Crisscross (Repairman Jack, #8)
  • Infernal (Repairman Jack, #9)
  • Harbingers (Repairman Jack, #10)
  • Bloodline (Repairman Jack, #11)

“Your believing or not believing in karma has no effect on its existence, nor on its consequences to you. Just as a refusal to believe in the ocean would not prevent you from drowning.” 2 likes
“certain is death for the born And certain is birth for the dead; Therefore” 0 likes