Eat People: And Other Unapologetic Rules for Game-Changing Entrepreneurs

Eat People: And Other Unapologetic Rules for Game-Changing Entrepreneurs

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  133 ratings  ·  26 reviews
How entrepreneurs find the next big thing-and make it huge.
The era of easy money and easy jobs is officially over. Today, we're all entrepreneurs, and the tides of change threaten to capsize anyone who plays it safe. Taking risks is the name of the game-but how can you tell a smart bet from a stupid gamble?
Andy Kessler has made a career out of seeing the future of busi...more
Published February 1st 2011 by Portfolio

Joe
Eat People is an ideologically corrupted vanity book of ordinary ideas. Rather than list all the ways Kessler is blinded by his ideology, I will suggest that you first read about the views of George Gilder, who Kessler idolizes and quotes at length throughout the books.

Some choice opinions of Gilder: 1) evolution is wrong, 2) women are biologically determined to work best at home, not in the work world, so they should stay at home and let men work, 3) Africans and Native Americans are an inheren...more
Goran
Kessler is a smart and successful guy on a personal level, with quite the career history.
However, this is just classic biz-reading crap. Fraught with hindsight bias and citations of other popular business books.
Although his rules may be useful in a venture financing sense, his examples are almost always of Google, Apple, Microsoft, Facebook, and Twitter. Thanks captain hindsight, anybody can read any one of 10,000 reasons "why" google is successful, and then attempt to extrapolate elsewhere.
His...more
Quinton
There are two types of people; those that believe that there is a fixed amount of resources available, and those that don’t. Those that believe that in order to get what you want, you have to take it from someone, and those that believe that you can create all the wealth you want. Kessler is definitely the later. “Eat People” is all about creating wealth so everyone (but the creator most of all) can be more wealthy. His point is that there are those out there who have helped make the world a ric...more
Chris
I recently enjoyed hating Eat People by Andy Kessler. I got it for 80% off at Borders and still overpaid. I’d use the book for fuel if his ideas weren't so limp. Kessler combines his expertise in teleological arguments with arrogance and a pinch of unfunny dad to create a masterpiece of disposable business advice. I’d call it the one percenter’s manifesto if that wasn't cruel to the one percenters. A laughable first half and an infuriating second half make this book a great last read for anyone...more
Kip
I didn't care so much for this one. I'm a huge Kessler fan, though this is the first of his books I've read. It seemed to be a string of his columns with some extra filler. Don't get me wrong, entertaining in spots and I believe in his ideas. Just might have been better as a collection of original columns or improved with some tight editing.

* Couldn't finish
** I had nothing else to do
*** Passed the time, would be **** for genre / author fans
**** Everyone could enjoy this book
***** Everyone shoul...more
Andi
Andy Kessler definitely takes a straightforward, unforgiving approach when defining and critiquing different business people. It works as a great motivator in some cases, but some of the ideas were hard to swallow and just seemed a touch harsh. It's his way or the highway. He lays out certain business people who aren't gunning for the absolute top as inferior to those who are, which could be understood from some perspectives, but everyone has their place and role. This is definitely written for...more
Bridget
Privileged white man with nothing new or relevant today. Waste of time.
Soundview Executive Book Summaries
Eat People: And Other Unapologetic Rules for Game-Changing Entrepreneurs by Andy Kessler was chosen by Soundview Executive Book Summaries as one of the Top 30 Business Books of 2011.

THE SOUNDVIEW REVIEW:

Are you ready for a book on entrepreneurship that won’t sugarcoat the truth and will open your eyes to what it takes to succeed? In his newest book, author and former hedge fund manager Andy Kessler takes the role of a machine-gunner, blasting holes in every theory about the traditional path to a...more
Marc Brackett
After reading this book I can why so many of the reviews are so negative. The author left few professions or people untouched, in short most of us are sucking wealth from others either using legal means or by birthright. The few that create wealth for society as a whole are indeed few. Are we better off with iPads and Microsoft products? Does Facebook really save us time and add value to our lives?

This book is really a heads up for where things are going next. Your competition is global the pro...more
Nick
Fun book on modern entrepreneurship. Lately I have been particularly interested in understanding the distinction between political and market entrepreneurs, and this book is nothing if not a celebration of market entrepreneurship. I thought the theme of a rules for radical entrepreneurs, modelled after Saul Alinsky's Rules for Radicals, was a fun touch although I wasn't really looking for a political read. Good, fast-paced, personal and colloquial style. Some very nice insights into how disrupti...more
Bjorn Hardarson
This goes into my favorites book on entrepreneurship. Lots of books are written about what makes an idea successful, what makes an entrepreneur to succeed and many are good, What makes this one so good is that Andy Kessler has a background as a analyst at Wall Street studying IT companies. In this book he he sets 12 rules for business to have to succeed and mainly focus on Scalability of the company or Idea. Kessler also writes in such a language that it is easy to understand and funny at the sa...more
Anshul
A 12 page email/rant written as a 200+ page book!
Neil
The premise of the book is sound. I was not a fan of the author's delivery. I understood and agreed with a lot of his points but the way he wrote just never really resonated with me. To be fair I had just finished The Fountainhead which has some similar themes and is incredibly well written so it was hard to give it this an unbiased opinion.

It was at least a very short and easy to read book.
Argin Gerigorian
Kessler's book is very informative, it's not one of those get rich quick scheme reads.

He says a lot of practical things about changing the entrepreneurial (I spelled it right) game. He takes you through the experiences he's had with the multi-billion dollar CEO's and Founders of big companies.

Also he adds a lot of humor so as not to bore the reader.

Good stuff
Jeff Bull
More worth reading for Kessler's economic savvy, there is still a lot to love about Eat People....even if it feels like the author lists the ways throughout the book in which you're not worthy.

On the plus side, I'm not sure he thinks he's worthy either...
Dmitry
Very politically incorrect, but gets to the point of wealth creation and redistribution. The main ideas concentrate around the concepts of scaling the business model and application of innovation and technology to any undertaking in life. The author quite often gets on the soap box, but delivers his message in a rather entertaining way. Great read.
Nadia
How do people read this book?

Mr. Kessler may be many things, but an enjoyable narrative voice he is not. His arrogance oozes from each page, his cutsie little jokes as he describes a scene with his wife early on, for instance, are truly nauseating. I pushed through the first few chapters hoping to get to some substance, but it just never came.

Dave
one of the most thought provoking books on the new technology and how to look for real game changers. After a while it almost became a missive on Apple and Google, but the first half is very very interesting. i am on my second read.
Adam Decker
I finished this book, but wasn't a huge fan. Some great observations, most of which I agree. I couldn't help but think most of the audience for which this is written is to busy inventing new things to ever have time to read.
Letitzia
While it has some valid points like boosting productivity, eliminating jobs that can be automatized, I cannot agree with the points on sustainability and efficiency. It leaves no room for environmental concerns.
Mike
This is going to be a book you either love or hate based on your political views. I enjoyed the book for the critique of the economics profession.
Humanoit
Эта книга изменился мою жизнь.

Она вошла в топ-10 книг 2012 года.
A Garston
Contains a few interesting observations, I'm glad that I read it.
Benny Riadi
Give a new perspective for business mind
Martin Linkov
Jul 08, 2011 Martin Linkov rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Martin by: Chris
Shelves: bizna, startup
Clear and entertaining,
Raul Bautista
Raul Bautista is currently reading it
Jul 14, 2014
David Robles
David Robles marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Andy Kessler is an investor, author and businessman.

Andy Kessler has worked for about 20 years as a research analyst, investment banker, venture capitalist, and hedge fund manager. He was also the Co-founder and President of Velocity Capital Management, an investment firm based in Palo Alto, California, United States.

He has written forThe Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, Wired, Forbes, The...more
More about Andy Kessler...
Running Money: Hedge Fund Honchos, Monster Markets and My Hunt for the Big Score Wall Street Meat: My Narrow Escape from the Stock Market Grinder How We Got Here: A Slightly Irreverent History of Technology and Markets Grumby The End of Medicine: How Silicon Valley (and Naked Mice) Will Reboot Your Doctor