Start by marking “Eat People: And Other Unapologetic Rules for Game-Changing Entrepreneurs” as Want to Read:
Eat People: And Other Unapologetic Rules for Game-Changing Entrepreneurs

Eat People: And Other Unapologetic Rules for Game-Changing Entrepreneurs

How entrepreneurs find the next big thing-and make it huge.
The era of easy money and easy jobs is officially over. Today, we're all entrepreneurs, and the tides of change threaten to capsize anyone who plays it safe. Taking risks is the name of the game-but how can you tell a smart bet from a stupid gamble?
Andy Kessler has made a career out of seeing the future of busi
Published February 1st 2011 by Portfolio

To ask other readers questions about Eat People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eat People

Jul 19, 2012 Joe rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Eat People is an ideologically corrupted vanity book of ordinary ideas. Rather than list all the ways Kessler is blinded by his ideology, I will suggest that you first read about the views of George Gilder, who Kessler idolizes and quotes at length throughout the books.

Some choice opinions of Gilder: 1) evolution is wrong, 2) women are biologically determined to work best at home, not in the work world, so they should stay at home and let men work, 3) Africans and Native Americans are an inheren
Jun 04, 2011 Goran rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Kessler is a smart and successful guy on a personal level, with quite the career history.
However, this is just classic biz-reading crap. Fraught with hindsight bias and citations of other popular business books.
Although his rules may be useful in a venture financing sense, his examples are almost always of Google, Apple, Microsoft, Facebook, and Twitter. Thanks captain hindsight, anybody can read any one of 10,000 reasons "why" google is successful, and then attempt to extrapolate elsewhere.
There are two types of people; those that believe that there is a fixed amount of resources available, and those that don’t. Those that believe that in order to get what you want, you have to take it from someone, and those that believe that you can create all the wealth you want. Kessler is definitely the later. “Eat People” is all about creating wealth so everyone (but the creator most of all) can be more wealthy. His point is that there are those out there who have helped make the world a ric ...more
Oct 27, 2011 Chris rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I recently enjoyed hating Eat People by Andy Kessler. I got it for 80% off at Borders and still overpaid. I’d use the book for fuel if his ideas weren't so limp. Kessler combines his expertise in teleological arguments with arrogance and a pinch of unfunny dad to create a masterpiece of disposable business advice. I’d call it the one percenter’s manifesto if that wasn't cruel to the one percenters. A laughable first half and an infuriating second half make this book a great last read for anyone ...more
Jul 18, 2011 Kip rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't care so much for this one. I'm a huge Kessler fan, though this is the first of his books I've read. It seemed to be a string of his columns with some extra filler. Don't get me wrong, entertaining in spots and I believe in his ideas. Just might have been better as a collection of original columns or improved with some tight editing.

* Couldn't finish
** I had nothing else to do
*** Passed the time, would be **** for genre / author fans
**** Everyone could enjoy this book
***** Everyone shoul
Nov 04, 2012 Bridget rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Privileged white man with nothing new or relevant today. Waste of time.
Soundview Executive Book Summaries
Eat People: And Other Unapologetic Rules for Game-Changing Entrepreneurs by Andy Kessler was chosen by Soundview Executive Book Summaries as one of the Top 30 Business Books of 2011.

Are you ready for a book on entrepreneurship that won’t sugarcoat the truth and will open your eyes to what it takes to succeed? In his newest book, author and former hedge fund manager Andy Kessler takes the role of a machine-gunner, blasting holes in every theory about the traditional path to a
Ravi Warrier
I was sceptical about reading this book and reluctantly picked it up. Now I am glad I I did.

There are plenty of books that talk/teach entrepreneurs about finance, strategy, lifestyle management, work-life balance, technology, marketing, dos-don'ts, social presence, customer centricity and plenty more, but this book is different. How?

The book, whether Kessler intended it to be or not, teaches entrepreneurs the economics of startups. It might as well have been titled, "Simplified Economics for Ent
Marc Brackett
Aug 04, 2013 Marc Brackett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading this book I can why so many of the reviews are so negative. The author left few professions or people untouched, in short most of us are sucking wealth from others either using legal means or by birthright. The few that create wealth for society as a whole are indeed few. Are we better off with iPads and Microsoft products? Does Facebook really save us time and add value to our lives?

This book is really a heads up for where things are going next. Your competition is global the pro
Apr 01, 2015 Andrew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a link to my personal notes and outline of the book, enjoy!

This book is for anyone who is interested in the business of technology innovation, and the responsibilities of entrepreneurs for a productive and advanced society.

This is the main idea: we should support ideas and technologies that eliminate jobs. New (and possibly more) jobs will be created with the implementation of the new technology and our standard of living will rise.

Kessler has go
May 25, 2015 Dan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eat People is a strange combination between tech, Ayn Rand, The Goal, and stream-of-consciousness. If you've ever wanted to have coffee with an eccentric VC but haven't had the chance then this is the book to read. With the speed of technology some of the comments are already dated but there are some nuggets of wisdom. What is particularly great about this book is how smug and unapologetic the author is which forces you to really check your assumptions. There are a few rules that have changed my ...more
Ko Matsuo
Aug 15, 2014 Ko Matsuo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Technology trends from a venture capitalist point of view. Kessler identifies common trends that have enabled "free radicals" to create new wealth that shapes the future economy.

Basic theme is that while free radicals eventually become extremely wealthy, in the process they raise everyone's standard of living. Interesting way of framing issues. For example, "Eat people" refers to technology inevitably replacing people and lowering costs. Kessler takes the conclusion to the next step and promote
Aug 31, 2012 Nick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun book on modern entrepreneurship. Lately I have been particularly interested in understanding the distinction between political and market entrepreneurs, and this book is nothing if not a celebration of market entrepreneurship. I thought the theme of a rules for radical entrepreneurs, modelled after Saul Alinsky's Rules for Radicals, was a fun touch although I wasn't really looking for a political read. Good, fast-paced, personal and colloquial style. Some very nice insights into how disrupti ...more
Jun 12, 2014 Andi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Andy Kessler definitely takes a straightforward, unforgiving approach when defining and critiquing different business people. It works as a great motivator in some cases, but some of the ideas were hard to swallow and just seemed a touch harsh. It's his way or the highway. He lays out certain business people who aren't gunning for the absolute top as inferior to those who are, which could be understood from some perspectives, but everyone has their place and role. This is definitely written for ...more
Bjorn Hardarson
Oct 08, 2011 Bjorn Hardarson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This goes into my favorites book on entrepreneurship. Lots of books are written about what makes an idea successful, what makes an entrepreneur to succeed and many are good, What makes this one so good is that Andy Kessler has a background as a analyst at Wall Street studying IT companies. In this book he he sets 12 rules for business to have to succeed and mainly focus on Scalability of the company or Idea. Kessler also writes in such a language that it is easy to understand and funny at the sa ...more
Jun 13, 2015 Derek rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I didn't really learn anything new from this book. The topics were either 1) very obvious, with examples found frequently in other places, or 2) conclusions I disagreed with. The writing tone was more casual than most, and I didn't feel it enhanced the book.

A highly forgettable book. I generally fold down pages in books when something strikes me as insightful. I didn't fold down a single one in this book.
Dec 29, 2012 Dmitry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very politically incorrect, but gets to the point of wealth creation and redistribution. The main ideas concentrate around the concepts of scaling the business model and application of innovation and technology to any undertaking in life. The author quite often gets on the soap box, but delivers his message in a rather entertaining way. Great read.
Argin Gerigorian
Nov 23, 2013 Argin Gerigorian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Kessler's book is very informative, it's not one of those get rich quick scheme reads.

He says a lot of practical things about changing the entrepreneurial (I spelled it right) game. He takes you through the experiences he's had with the multi-billion dollar CEO's and Founders of big companies.

Also he adds a lot of humor so as not to bore the reader.

Good stuff
Jul 25, 2012 Nadia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: quit
How do people read this book?

Mr. Kessler may be many things, but an enjoyable narrative voice he is not. His arrogance oozes from each page, his cutsie little jokes as he describes a scene with his wife early on, for instance, are truly nauseating. I pushed through the first few chapters hoping to get to some substance, but it just never came.

Jul 02, 2013 Neil rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The premise of the book is sound. I was not a fan of the author's delivery. I understood and agreed with a lot of his points but the way he wrote just never really resonated with me. To be fair I had just finished The Fountainhead which has some similar themes and is incredibly well written so it was hard to give it this an unbiased opinion.

It was at least a very short and easy to read book.
Jeff Bull
More worth reading for Kessler's economic savvy, there is still a lot to love about Eat People....even if it feels like the author lists the ways throughout the book in which you're not worthy.

On the plus side, I'm not sure he thinks he's worthy either...
Aug 06, 2013 Letitzia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While it has some valid points like boosting productivity, eliminating jobs that can be automatized, I cannot agree with the points on sustainability and efficiency. It leaves no room for environmental concerns.
Pete Sena
I was really excited about this book. I started digging in and was super intrigued and then got a few chapters in and it really just lost the steam. It felt like a diluted version of Conscious capitalism. I must have missed the essence, but I won't be eating people anytime soon.
Adam Decker
I finished this book, but wasn't a huge fan. Some great observations, most of which I agree. I couldn't help but think most of the audience for which this is written is to busy inventing new things to ever have time to read.
Jul 06, 2012 Dave rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
one of the most thought provoking books on the new technology and how to look for real game changers. After a while it almost became a missive on Apple and Google, but the first half is very very interesting. i am on my second read.
Digvijay Singh
Sep 11, 2015 Digvijay Singh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! This book just makes so many valid points. I am a "Free Radical" and I totally connect with what the author wrote in this masterpiece.
Brad Hudon
Feb 08, 2016 Brad Hudon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book for anyone to throw an idea for the next best thing on the wall to see if it sticks. Much better than those books on how to pitch, make Powerpoints ,etc.
Jun 07, 2013 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is going to be a book you either love or hate based on your political views. I enjoyed the book for the critique of the economics profession.
Neid Buell
Jun 10, 2016 Neid Buell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A truly inspiring book. If you believe we are going to run out of jobs because the robots are going to take them all... you need to read this book.
More of an irreverent libertarian take on what makes the economy tick rather than a self-help guide for entrepreneurs. Found myself agreeing with most of it...
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Pacific Rift: Why Americans and Japanese Don't Understand Each Other
  • Bernard Baruch
  • Conquer the Crash: You Can Survive and Prosper in a Deflationary Depression
  • The Go-Go Years: The Drama and Crashing Finale of Wall Street's Bullish 60's
  • The Little Book of Bull Moves in Bear Markets: How to Keep Your Portfolio Up When the Market Is Down
  • Twilight in the Desert: The Coming Saudi Oil Shock and the World Economy
  • Persuasion IQ: The 10 Skills You Need to Get Exactly What You Want
  • How to Trade in Stocks
  • The Art of Talking to Anyone
  • Technical Analysis Explained: The Successful Investor's Guide to Spotting Investment Trends and Turning Points
  • Extreme Money: Masters of the Universe and the Cult of Risk
  • Oxford A-Z of Grammar and Punctuation
  • Focus: Achieving Your Highest Priorities
  • Let's Get Real or Let's Not Play: The Demise of 20th Century Selling & the Advent of Helping Clients Succeed
  • Smart Pricing: How Google, Priceline, and Leading Businesses Use Pricing Innovation for Profitability
  • Clutch: Why Some People Excel Under Pressure and Others Don't
  • Likeable Business: Why Today's Consumers Demand More and How Leaders Can Deliver
  • It's Not What You Sell, It's What You Stand For: Why Every Extraordinary Business is Driven by Purpose
Andy Kessler is an investor, author and businessman.

Andy Kessler has worked for about 20 years as a research analyst, investment banker, venture capitalist, and hedge fund manager. He was also the Co-founder and President of Velocity Capital Management, an investment firm based in Palo Alto, California, United States.

He has written forThe Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, Wired, Forbes, The
More about Andy Kessler...