The Icon and the Axe: An Interpretative History of Russian Culture

The Icon and the Axe: An Interpretative History of Russian Culture

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  164 ratings  ·  16 reviews
"A rich and readable introduction to the whole sweep of Russian cultural and intellectual history from Kievan times to the post-Khruschev era." - Library Journal. Illustrations, references, index.

From the Trade Paperback edition.
Published September 22nd 2010 by Vintage (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about The Icon and the Axe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Icon and the Axe

Erik Graff
Sep 15, 2013 Erik Graff rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Russia fans
Recommended to Erik by: Gregory Guroff
Shelves: history
I entered Grinnell College with the intention of becoming a professor of history like one of those fine individuals, two of whom had gone to the same college, who taught the subject at my high school. During the sophomore year I took Greg Guroff's year-long, eight-semester-hour credit Russian History course.

Guroff was Russian himself, a collector of icons and, strange for Grinnell at the time, a political conservative. Unsurprisingly, he went on later to work for the State Department. At the tim...more
Paul Jellinek
A dense but richly rewarding cultural history of Russia. What is especially impressive is that in this book, which was published in 1966--25 years before the collapse of the Soviet Union--Billington makes a persuasive case that the Communists will eventually lose their grip and fall from power because of deep-seated internal historical and cultural forces that have characterized Russia's development from its earliest days. While this book will give you a whole new appreciation for the complexity...more
Jacob Aitken
This book had a "horrifying beauty." Two tools symbolize Russia: The Icon and the Axe. The icon is the heart of Russia, the concrete vehicle of spiritual truth. The icon illustrates Russian theology: theology is beauty and is best communicated in terms of the beautiful. Russian churches, for example, are bell and onion-shaped. The dome in a very real sense symbolizes heaven, or rather heaven on earth.

The icon was more than just a picture. It was the lives of the saints. The saints were living i...more
Casey72
Read it every four years. Contains the great spirit of the Russian people.
Mark Feltskog
Remains, I imagine, the final word on the subject.
Suzanne
This book is incredibly dense, filled with detailed discussions of particular books, for example, as well as thorough (apparently) discussions of where historical events and culture fit in the history of philosophy or thought. I plowed through determined but this book was way over my head. Not only did I need to know more about Russian history, I especially needed to know more about intellectual history. I have learned a lot but much I just did not understand. Some sentences were comic I their d...more
Zbhall
Heavy going. Fun insights. Would love some scholar to undertake an update. I think it requires more knowledge of intellectual history than it should.
Zach
You want to understand Russia you read this book you understand Russia.
Geoffrey Rose
Exhaustive (in every sense) and occasionally slow going but The Icon and Axe richly deserves (40+ years after original publication) its distinction as a seminal work in the field of Russian history. Billington weaves together themes in Russian cultural and intellectual history in a brilliantly developed synthesis. My understanding of Russia's history and culture has been highly enriched by this work. Highly recommended.
Elizabeth
Well, what can I really say; it was informative. I enjoy histories and this one is quite readable. I came away from this book with a better handle on Russia. The book itself is pretty and has a pleasant weight in one's hand. Annoyingly, it has endnotes instead of footnotes. Still, it's a 597 page history of Russia.
Mimi
This book makes the assumption that you are familiar with Russian History, and fills in the gaps in what was going on culturally during the different historical periods.

While there were dry parts, the not-so-dry parts were so amazing, on the whole it is a must read and one to keep.
Sam
Aug 15, 2007 Sam rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Russian History people
You will love this book if you are interested in Russia. Well done, and an immense feeling of history, dating back to the Kivan days. If you dont want to learn anything about Russia, for you have a distaste for learning about it for some reason, dont even read the back cover of the book.
Christian
I am ashamed to admit that I have only read this book in part, but since Russia has a history that is endlessly fascinating to me, this book is high on my "to read" list.
Aaron
First learned about how Orthodox Christianity had always been beholden to the state.
Christina Beck
EXTREMELY THOROUGH history of Russian culture. EXTREMELY.
Elisabeth
Elisabeth marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Jonathan Pierce
Jonathan Pierce marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Alexander widrow
Alexander widrow marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Lhert
Lhert marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Dolores Despiau
Dolores Despiau marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Samuel Allen
Samuel Allen marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Barbara Adde
Barbara Adde marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
  • The Harvest of Sorrow: Soviet Collectivization and the Terror-Famine
  • The Magical Chorus: A History of Russian Culture from Tolstoy to Solzhenitsyn
  • A History of Russia (Sixth Edition)
  • Natasha's Dance: A Cultural History of Russia
  • Russia Under the Old Regime
  • Land of the Firebird: The Beauty of Old Russia
  • Everyday Stalinism: Ordinary Life in Extraordinary Times: Soviet Russia in the 1930s
  • Russia and the Russians: A History
  • A History of Modern Russia: From Nicholas II to Vladimir Putin
  • The King's Two Bodies: A Study in Mediaeval Political Theology
  • Russia: A 1000-Year Chronicle of the Wild East
  • The World Was Going Our Way: The KGB & the Battle for the Third World
Fire in the Minds of Men Russia in Search of Itself The Face of Russia: Anguish, Aspiration & Achievement in Russian Culture Respectfully Quoted: A Dictionary of Quotations Russia Transformed: Breakthrough to Hope Moscow, August 1991