Tapa kohe, maksa hiljem

Tapa kohe, maksa hiljem (Nero Wolfe #39)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  825 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Nero Wolfe, a genius at detection, prefers gourmet food and prize-winning orchids to damsels in distress. But at the prodding of his confidential assistant, Archie Goodwin, he opens his office door to three beautiful women, who usher in three of the most intriguing cases of Wolfe's career. With them come three baffling clues -- a shoeshine, an ear of corn, and a bloodstain...more
Mass Market Paperback, 302 pages
Published 2010 by Elmatar (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Tapa kohe, maksa hiljem, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tapa kohe, maksa hiljem

Jill Hutchinson
If you see that I have read a Nero Wolfe book by Rex Stout you can bet that it gets a high rating. This series and the characters are my favorites of classic mystery. It is not so much the plotting of the mystery which sometimes is a bit weak as much as the ambiance of life in the rather luxurious old brownstone with Wolfe, his assistant/confidant Archie Goodwin, and Fritz, the best cook in NYC. The stories are eccentric and sometimes humorous and they hold your interest from beginning to end. T...more
Ginna
mom and bob have gotten me into these silly books~ makes you say things like "pfui!" and wishing i had an orchid room at the top of my brownstone home..
Nan Silvernail
Kill Now - Pay Later
A chunk of petrified wood started the murder. A push through a high window finished it. Nero Wolfe's Grecian shoe-shiner is accused. His lovely daughter appeals for help. Wolfe must solve this or lose the best and most punctual bootblack he has ever employed. Intolerable!

Murder is Corny
A length of iron pipe ended the delivery man's life, so Wolfe's special order of fresh picked corn never arrived. Worse, the farmer's lovely daughter, semi-engaged to the deceased told the poli...more
Ed
#39 in the Nero Wolfe series. 3 novellas featuring the rotund detective:
"Kill Now — Pay Later" has Nero's bookblack accused of murder and suicide. His daughter begs Wolfe to clear her father's name and tells him her father had referred to Wolfe as "a great man, the greatest in the world." How could Wolfe resist.
"Murder Is Corny" has the deliveryman of Wolfe's weekly shipment of sweet corn bludgeoned to death at his prior stop and the police have found his notebook with Archie Goodwin's name list...more
Bill  Kerwin
Not Stout's best. The first of these three novellas "Kill Now--Pay Later"--in which Wolfe's bootblack witnesses a murder and is subsequently murdered himself--is a rehash of the typical Stout corporate crime tale, and actually contains the cliche of a victim writing his murderer's name in blood. (Stout was almost eighty by this time; maybe he just didn't give a damn.) The second tale "Murder is Corny"--in which Wolfe solves a crime by meditating on the unorthodox way his weekly delivery of gourm...more
Brenda Margriet
Critics have said some of the best NW's stories are the novellas, but I've always preferred the longer novels. That being said, I've never met a NW/AG story I haven't liked.

"Kill Now — Pay Later" - Nero is furious when his bootblack is killed - now he has to find a new one. So when the dead man's daughter asks for help, it doesn't take Archie much prodding to get him involved.

"Murder Is Corny" - Once again, Nero is affronted when his delivery of corn is completely wrong - never mind the fact the...more
Jim
Three novellas and the first "Kill Now - Pay Later" was just plain bad. It was formulaic with Archie having to supply the tired plot of having difficulty rounding up the suspects into Wolfe's office. It felt like the characters were A, B and C with the names inserted when the story was finished.

The other two novellas, Murder is Corny" and "Blood Will Tell", extends the partnership of Wolfe and Goodwin, by having the suspicion fall Archie with Wolfe having to decide to extend himself or not and t...more
Jessi
Fun trio of mysteries from the always awesome Rex Stout.
Kill Now- Pay Later -- Nero's shoeshine man may be involved in a murder. He was the first on the scene and the murdered man was involved with the shoeshine's daughter. But when the shoeshine ends up dead, Wolfe believes that the daughter might be next.
Murder is Corny -- Murder once again comes to Wolfe's house when a girl that Archie once dated discovers a body and claims that Archie was the man she was supposed to meet. Her father supplied...more
Megan
I love Nero Wolf and Archie Goodwin. Reading one of Stout's detective novels is just a feel-good trip into the past. And this was great because it was three short stories.
Kate  K. F.
Trio for Blunt Instruments is a classic Wolfe collection with a mix of stories that are sad, tricky and charming. As I write up this review I can't remember any of the stories in particular which means it wasn't one of the more memorable collections. Stout has written so many Wolfe stories and I always enjoy them since I love going back into that particular vision of New York. A good read but not a stand out.
Mike
My first Rex Stout read. Mildly entertaining, quirky character.

notes:
11..He thought she was going to flop, and a woman off the rail is not only unwelcome, she is not to be borne.
17..Wolfe to woman who offered wad of bills to hire him:"Your money. Take it. It is, as you say, nothing for a job like this, and if I am quixotic enough to to undertake it I don't want a tip.
22..to Archie (his Watson) "It will take dexterity. Your intelligence guided by experience."
Vicki Cline
Another set of three novellas, no one stands out. I keep wondering why Inspector Cramer keeps pulling Archie in for questioning, holding him overnight in many cases, when he knows full well, after having been involved with dozens and dozens of cases with Wolfe, that Wolfe is always right and anyway, Archie is not going to give him anything useful. I guess there wouldn't be any conflict without Cramer's amnesia.
Jz
I particularly liked the last one. Yes, again, I should have gotten it. So what? I like all the stories of Rex Stout, but some are better than others. The one about the corn didn't move me, on screen or in print. So what? I still get to spend some time in the presence of Archie and Mr. Wolfe. It's all good.
Unwordy
Stout nagu Stout ikka. Nero Wolfe ja Archie Goodwin, ei miskit erilist. Sama ladus stiil nagu tavaliselt. Tõlge ka täitsa kobe. Konkreetse üllitise keskmisest suuremaks kasuks kõneleb see, et kokku on kogutud kolm lühijuttu, mis tähendab, et linnas ühistranspordiga ringi kolistades jõuab parasjagu ühe lookese päevas läbi lugeda.
Archie Pieplow
Rex Stout is one of my favorite authors and I love the Nero Wolfe series. Thanks to a brain injury I don't have a very good short-term memory, so I can re-read a mystery over and over again and it's always like reading it the first time.
G Steve
This book contains one of my favorite Nero Wolfe stories: Murder is Corny. It has everything: a girl, Archie being grumby, Nero being contankerous, Fritz whinging, dynamite, and the recipe for Sweet Corn.
Lexi
I enjoyed this re-published collection of three short stories about Nero Wolfe and Archie Goodwin. Can't put them down--pretty women in distress, great food, and art deco. What's not to love?
Astraia
Collection of Nero Wolfe short stories that are perhaps the best of the orchid loving detective.
Hobart
I'm convinced now--I shouldn't have given these collections such short shrift. Fun read.
Erin
Read in college for my Intro to Literary Studies class (it had a mystery theme).
Jon
Only increases my admiration for Rex Stout, if that's possible.
Bluelinesue
More on my quest to read all the Nero Wolfe books. Finished it Sep 6.
William Ritch
A great set of stories. These are very well written.
Susan
It's Nero Wolfe, I love Rex Stout, need I say more?
  • Murder in E Minor
  • In the Midst of Death (Matthew Scudder, #3)
  • Murder for Christmas
  • Chandler: Later Novels and Other Writings
  • Flynn (Flynn, #1)
  • Pale Gray for Guilt (Travis McGee #9)
  • Warning Signs (Alan Gregory, #10)
  • Backflash (Parker, #18)
  • The Finishing Stroke
  • A Catskill Eagle (Spenser, #12)
  • Maigret and the Man on the Bench
Rex Todhunter Stout (December 1, 1886 – October 27, 1975) was an American crime writer, best known as the creator of the larger-than-life fictional detective Nero Wolfe, described by reviewer Will Cuppy as "that Falstaff of detectives." Wolfe's assistant Archie Goodwin recorded the cases of the detective genius from 1934 (Fer-de-Lance) to 1975 (A Family Affair).

The Nero Wolfe corpus was nominated...more
More about Rex Stout...
Fer-de-Lance (Nero Wolfe, #1) Some Buried Caesar (Nero Wolfe, #6) Too Many Cooks (Nero Wolfe, #5) The League of Frightened Men (Nero Wolfe, #2) Black Orchids (Nero Wolfe, #9)

“More people saying what they believe would be a great improvement. Because I often do I am unfit for common intercourse.-Nero Wolfe in "Blood Will Tell” 3 likes