Start by marking “Tapa kohe, maksa hiljem” as Want to Read:
Tapa kohe, maksa hiljem

Tapa kohe, maksa hiljem (Nero Wolfe #39)

4.06  ·  Rating Details ·  1,199 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
Nero Wolfe, a genius at detection, prefers gourmet food and prize-winning orchids to damsels in distress. But at the prodding of his confidential assistant, Archie Goodwin, he opens his office door to three beautiful women, who usher in three of the most intriguing cases of Wolfe's career. With them come three baffling clues -- a shoeshine, an ear of corn, and a bloodstain ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 302 pages
Published 2010 by Elmatar (first published April 24th 1964)

To ask other readers questions about Tapa kohe, maksa hiljem, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tapa kohe, maksa hiljem

Evgeny
Apr 27, 2015 Evgeny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The anthology consists of three novellas:

Kill Now - Pay Later.
Bootblack
Nero Wolfe's favorite bootblack witnessed a crime and he hinted at it to the detective while working on his shoes, but he did not give any details. He was later killed, but the police decided it was a suicide, so it is up to Wolfe to prove it was a murder and find the culprit. I need to remind you at the time the book was written bootblacks were a big deal: just take a look at the picture above for the proof. I will give extra bonus p
Bill  Kerwin

Not Stout's best.

The first of these three novellas "Kill Now--Pay Later"--in which Wolfe's bootblack witnesses a murder and is subsequently murdered himself--is a rehash of the typical Stout corporate crime tale, and actually contains the cliche of a victim writing his murderer's name in blood. (Stout was almost eighty by this time; maybe he just didn't give a damn.)

The second tale "Murder is Corny"--in which Wolfe solves a crime by meditating on the unorthodox way his weekly delivery of gourm
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
While not Stout's best work, these three novellas do keep the pot a-boiling (pun intended). I learned to oven-roast corn from the story "Murder is Corny", which I first read as a reprint in Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine back in the 1970s. We tried Wolfe's method with fresh-picked sweetcorn from the backyard garden and it was unbelievable. The recipe is the best part of the story--but it's definitely worth it. Angels sing softly in the distance when you eat corn roasted this way.

"Kill Now, Pay La
Maya
Jan 03, 2016 Maya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Обичам случаите на Ниро Улф и се радвам, че издателство Ера е решило да пусне поредицата на Рекс Стаут, която си е класика в криминалния жанр. "Кръвта ще покаже" е четвъртата книга от нея и обединява повестите "Убий сега, плати после", "Случаят "Сладка царевица" и "Кръвта ще покаже", в превод на Юлия Чернева.
Имам обаче сериозни забележки относно оформлението и на тази книга, и на цялата поредица. Ако читателят случайно забележи, че на гръбчето на книгата му стои число, може евентуално да се сет
Jill Hutchinson
Jun 07, 2014 Jill Hutchinson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
If you see that I have read a Nero Wolfe book by Rex Stout you can bet that it gets a high rating. This series and the characters are my favorites of classic mystery. It is not so much the plotting of the mystery which sometimes is a bit weak as much as the ambiance of life in the rather luxurious old brownstone with Wolfe, his assistant/confidant Archie Goodwin, and Fritz, the best cook in NYC. The stories are eccentric and sometimes humorous and they hold your interest from beginning to end. T ...more
Ronnie Justice
Oct 20, 2014 Ronnie Justice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

If you haven't read Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe you should. If you have there is no need to keep reading this review.

Stout's work spans decades and reviewing each Nero Wolfe story is a little unnecessary and I intend to publish this same review as I finish the volume it appears with.

First, they all hinge on the amiable narration of Archie Goodwin, Wolfe's assistant. Second, Wolfe rarely leaves his house. Third, the mysteries are usually solved not by chance or obscure knowledge of some hideous poiso
Betsy
May 16, 2016 Betsy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are three stories in this volume -- "kill now--pay later," "murder is corny," and"blood will tell," with the middle one being the weakest of the bunch. The stories are grouped due to the murderers' use of blunt instruments to do the deeds, but there are much stronger links binding them--the reputations of young women, and, in the first two, the relationships good and bad between fathers and daughters. As always, Archie is both astute and gallant, both with the players and his readers. Ther ...more
Ginna
Sep 27, 2010 Ginna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
mom and bob have gotten me into these silly books~ makes you say things like "pfui!" and wishing i had an orchid room at the top of my brownstone home..
Nan Silvernail
Mar 14, 2012 Nan Silvernail rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kill Now - Pay Later
A chunk of petrified wood started the murder. A push through a high window finished it. Nero Wolfe's Grecian shoe-shiner is accused. His lovely daughter appeals for help. Wolfe must solve this or lose the best and most punctual bootblack he has ever employed. Intolerable!

Murder is Corny
A length of iron pipe ended the delivery man's life, so Wolfe's special order of fresh picked corn never arrived. Worse, the farmer's lovely daughter, semi-engaged to the deceased told the poli
Ed
Oct 24, 2012 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#39 in the Nero Wolfe series. 3 novellas featuring the rotund detective:
"Kill Now — Pay Later" has Nero's bookblack accused of murder and suicide. His daughter begs Wolfe to clear her father's name and tells him her father had referred to Wolfe as "a great man, the greatest in the world." How could Wolfe resist.
"Murder Is Corny" has the deliveryman of Wolfe's weekly shipment of sweet corn bludgeoned to death at his prior stop and the police have found his notebook with Archie Goodwin's name list
Brenda Margriet
Critics have said some of the best NW's stories are the novellas, but I've always preferred the longer novels. That being said, I've never met a NW/AG story I haven't liked.

"Kill Now — Pay Later" - Nero is furious when his bootblack is killed - now he has to find a new one. So when the dead man's daughter asks for help, it doesn't take Archie much prodding to get him involved.

"Murder Is Corny" - Once again, Nero is affronted when his delivery of corn is completely wrong - never mind the fact the
Jim
Sep 07, 2012 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three novellas and the first "Kill Now - Pay Later" was just plain bad. It was formulaic with Archie having to supply the tired plot of having difficulty rounding up the suspects into Wolfe's office. It felt like the characters were A, B and C with the names inserted when the story was finished.

The other two novellas, Murder is Corny" and "Blood Will Tell", extends the partnership of Wolfe and Goodwin, by having the suspicion fall Archie with Wolfe having to decide to extend himself or not and t
Nancy Butts
Jul 05, 2016 Nancy Butts rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
#39 in the Nero Wolfe series, and another trilogy made up of Kill Now - Pay Later, Murder is Corny, and Blood Will Tell. In the second novella, I learned yet another cooking lesson from Wolfe–that corn on the cob should never be boiled!
Jessi
Dec 12, 2012 Jessi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun trio of mysteries from the always awesome Rex Stout.
Kill Now- Pay Later -- Nero's shoeshine man may be involved in a murder. He was the first on the scene and the murdered man was involved with the shoeshine's daughter. But when the shoeshine ends up dead, Wolfe believes that the daughter might be next.
Murder is Corny -- Murder once again comes to Wolfe's house when a girl that Archie once dated discovers a body and claims that Archie was the man she was supposed to meet. Her father supplied
Megan
Jul 02, 2014 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Nero Wolf and Archie Goodwin. Reading one of Stout's detective novels is just a feel-good trip into the past. And this was great because it was three short stories.
Meirav Berale
Feb 12, 2016 Meirav Berale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Meirav by: my brother
actually I only read the first of the three stories. it was a fun read - classic Nero Wolfe. looking forward to reading the other two sometime.
Travis
Nov 25, 2014 Travis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A great collection of Nero Wolfe short stories that give you a sampling of why this series is so beloved and why it's lasted so long.

Nice mix of mysteries and just a great read.
Derk
Jan 06, 2015 Derk rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three routine Nero Wolfe stories. The third one was the best for me. I think his style works better in this shorter framework,
Paula
Feb 07, 2015 Paula rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The food, the orchids, the mental acuity of Nero Wolfe and Archie Goodwin makes we want to read more.
Nola
Feb 27, 2016 Nola rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's classic Nero Wolfe ... it was like going home for me. Not his best ... but it was still fun to read.
CJ Reader
Apr 22, 2015 CJ Reader rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Archie at his very best wits, and what's not to enjoy about that?
Monica Willyard
Sep 19, 2016 Monica Willyard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nls
Three great short mystery stories set in the sixties.
Paul Unruh
Jul 18, 2016 Paul Unruh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kill Now - Pay Later
Murder is Corny
Blood Will Tell
Jason
Jul 04, 2016 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A trio of shorts-a trio of great characters-a trio of great mysteries!
Serena
Apr 01, 2016 Serena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Rating System:
Kate  K. F.
Trio for Blunt Instruments is a classic Wolfe collection with a mix of stories that are sad, tricky and charming. As I write up this review I can't remember any of the stories in particular which means it wasn't one of the more memorable collections. Stout has written so many Wolfe stories and I always enjoy them since I love going back into that particular vision of New York. A good read but not a stand out.
Mike
Jul 18, 2013 Mike rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My first Rex Stout read. Mildly entertaining, quirky character.

notes:
11..He thought she was going to flop, and a woman off the rail is not only unwelcome, she is not to be borne.
17..Wolfe to woman who offered wad of bills to hire him:"Your money. Take it. It is, as you say, nothing for a job like this, and if I am quixotic enough to to undertake it I don't want a tip.
22..to Archie (his Watson) "It will take dexterity. Your intelligence guided by experience."
Caroline
Jan 04, 2016 Caroline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
There are a few good things about weaker memory as you age: you forget plots quicker so you can reread your favorite mysteries more often.

This is good Wolfe. Testy Wolfe and testier Archie, sufficient Cramer, pretty good plots, Wolfe stays home, some well formed characters for short works (especially the last, Blood Will Tell). For some reason I gave it a 3 before; definitely a four.

Perfect reading for convalescence from holiday flu.
Vicki Cline
May 02, 2013 Vicki Cline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other-mysteries
Another set of three novellas, no one stands out. I keep wondering why Inspector Cramer keeps pulling Archie in for questioning, holding him overnight in many cases, when he knows full well, after having been involved with dozens and dozens of cases with Wolfe, that Wolfe is always right and anyway, Archie is not going to give him anything useful. I guess there wouldn't be any conflict without Cramer's amnesia.
JZ
Jan 10, 2014 JZ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, own
I particularly liked the last one. Yes, again, I should have gotten it. So what? I like all the stories of Rex Stout, but some are better than others. The one about the corn didn't move me, on screen or in print. So what? I still get to spend some time in the presence of Archie and Mr. Wolfe. It's all good.
  • Fade to Black
  • Everybody Dies (Matthew Scudder, #14)
  • Chandler: Later Novels and Other Writings
  • The Case of the Blonde Bonanza
  • Flynn (Flynn, #1)
  • Harm's Way (Alan Gregory, #4)
  • One Fearful Yellow Eye (Travis McGee #8)
  • Walking Shadow (Spenser, #21)
Rex Todhunter Stout (December 1, 1886 – October 27, 1975) was an American crime writer, best known as the creator of the larger-than-life fictional detective Nero Wolfe, described by reviewer Will Cuppy as "that Falstaff of detectives." Wolfe's assistant Archie Goodwin recorded the cases of the detective genius from 1934 (Fer-de-Lance) to 1975 (A Family Affair).

The Nero Wolfe corpus was nominated
More about Rex Stout...

Nero Wolfe (1 - 10 of 47 books)
  • Fer-de-Lance (Nero Wolfe, #1)
  • The League of Frightened Men (Nero Wolfe, #2)
  • The Rubber Band (Nero Wolfe, #3)
  • The Red Box (Nero Wolfe, #4)
  • Too Many Cooks (Nero Wolfe, #5)
  • Some Buried Caesar (Nero Wolfe, #6)
  • Over My Dead Body (Nero Wolfe, #7)
  • Where There's a Will (Nero Wolfe, #8)
  • Black Orchids (Nero Wolfe, #9)
  • Not Quite Dead Enough (Nero Wolfe, #10)

“More people saying what they believe would be a great improvement. Because I often do I am unfit for common intercourse.-Nero Wolfe in "Blood Will Tell” 3 likes