Start by marking “Beyond the Highland Mist (Highlander, #1)” as Want to Read:
Beyond the Highland Mist (Highlander, #1)

Beyond the Highland Mist (Highlander #1)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  41,197 ratings  ·  1,968 reviews
An alluring laird

He was known throughout the kingdom as Hawk, legendary predator of the battlefield and the boudoir. No woman could refuse his touch, but no woman ever stirred his heart - until a vengeful fairy tumbled Adrienne de Simone out of modern-day Seattle and into medieval Scotland. Captive in a century not her own, entirely too bold, too outspoken, she was an irre
Audio CD
Published July 20th 2007 by Brilliance Audio (first published March 9th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond the Highland Mist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond the Highland Mist

Navessa
It's time to admit defeat. I can't do this. Here's a meme explaining why:

Lisa Jayne
FOUR HIGHLAND STARS.

description

It was about time for me to read this new-to-me author. I wanted epic love, a toe curling romance, and a love that would sweep me off my feet and this book delivered. Moning provided me with the perfect escape and I couldn't have wished for more. An utterly dreamy start to a series that I know I'm going to fall in love with.

... Book two here I come.

description

*Buddy read with the bezzie ...*
UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick

Beyond the Highland Mist is my first read by this author, and not a bad start to the Highland series, though only loosely tied to it.

Those who know me know that I suffer from a sometimes debilitating disorder known as MRBIOs, Must Read Books In Order syndrome. It’s important that you understand this about me because I’m about make a shocking statement, here: In order to enjoy this series, it isn’t necessary to read the first book. Yes, I really did say that, and no, I’m not on medication. Just
Emily May

I'm having mixed feelings about this one as a whole but I would just like to say that my 3.5 star rating is, in this case, a rather positive one. I actually enjoyed reading the majority of this novel and I also wouldn't mind checking out Moning's other Highland novels as I've heard this is the least popular of the series. It suffered somewhat from the inevitable comparisons that I simply had to make to the Fever series, it was nothing like those and I'm starting to believe nothing ever
Loederkoningin
What will be your reason for picking this one up?

If it's anything like: “Mmm, I really like KMM’s Fever series...Mac 3.0 was alright and Mac 4.0 kicked some ass. And Barrons..oh Barrons! That hot, carnal, cantankerous badass... So why not try KMM's other series?” Well, let's say you're in for a surprise. Beyond the Highland Mist is nothing like the Fever series. Evidence to substantiate this bold statement you ask? How about this?

"The thing about the room that struck her so hard was that it see
Blacky *Romance Addict*

What a difference an audiobook makes...
And especially one with a fantastic narrator!!!
Let's just say that from my original 2 star rating I jumped to 4 stars in my reread with audiobook. Phil Gigante makes everything interesting, the first half was absolutely amazing and I would've given it 5 stars if the main woman wasn't such a moron, but oh well it can't be perfect.

Anyway, all I have to say for the readers: Grab the audiobooks of this series!!! You won't regret it!

First review:

This is quit
Jessica (Rabid Reads)
Jan 28, 2015 Jessica (Rabid Reads) rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of PNR, Historical Romance, Alpha males, sexy brogues, and fairies.

Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Beyond the Highland Mist by Karen Marie Moning was the first paranormal romance I ever read.

10+ years ago the only books I’d read that could even remotely be compared to PNR or UF were Anne Rice books (and if any of you have read Anne Rice books, you know that they are so not the same). I don’t think I even picked up my first modern (not Narnia or LOTR) fantasy until my freshman year of college (The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan).

I’m sure that all the Vivian
Bark's Book Nonsense
Next up on the IPod.

This book has received many favorable reviews but this isn’t going to be one of them. I feel like the Goodreads grouch but as I was listening to this on audio my overriding thought was, “when the hell is it going to end?” It seemed to plod on and on and if I heard the heroine exclaim “I HATE BEAUTIFUL MEN!” once more whilst drooling over two pretty men I was certain I was going lose the last thread of sanity that’s holding me together.

I’m not going to waste your time (and mi
♥  Sam ♥ ~S2~Im made of awesomness

Beyond the Highland Mist - First of all I have read this series out of order, intentionally. I was told by a dozen fellow reviewers that the first three in this series were pretty flat. So I read 4-7 and FREAKING LOVED THEM, but then my gal pal, Nissie and I decided that we should pay the first three in the series homage. After reading the first one, I’m going to have to swing my vote in favour of this one not being anywhere near as good as books 4-7. The only compensation being that I got a chu
Blu
I love historical romances - especially those featuring pirates, knights, and highlanders - so I was excited to discover Karen Marie Moning's "Highlander" series. "Beyond the Highland Mist" is the first in the series and I am so glad I picked this book up!

Sixteenth Century - Sidheach (Sid-hawk) James Lyon Douglas is known as Hawk, legendary lover to countless women. His sensuality just oozes off the pages. He is well-aware of the hold his beauty and his sexuality holds over the women who are lu
Kristen (Peddler of Smut)
2 1/2 to 3 stars

I'm glad I read this series out of order (these books can be read out of order). I'm honestly not sure if would have continued the series had I read the first three books in the series first. Personally, I don't think the series was particularly engrossing until after the third book. Books four, five, and six are my favorite, with book six, The Immortal Highlander, my favorite of the series. You must, however, read books four, five, six, and seven in order.

I recommend reading th
Brigid (is a massive coffee addict)
Looks at her notes. Looks at all her friends reading good books. Feels embarrassed for reading this.

Takes a deep breath.

I hate highlander romances!

Historical inaccuracy regarding kilts and language, forced seduction, territorial disputes that don't involve geography, unexplainable time travel, TSTL heroines, lairds who have balls the size of an elephant, and smoochy talk that would make Barry White ashamed.

I couldn't even get on board with Outlander. It's like it was created to repel me personal
Limonessa
What did I think? I thought thank god I read the Fever series before this or I would have never picked it up and would have mocked anyone who recommended it to me.
There isn't much to say about this book except the fact that this is not the Karen Marie Moning I am used to. Yet, some things have actually acquired a certain clarity; she is certainly a veteran in writing hot steamy sex scenes and the Highlander series has been, for all intents and purposes, her training camp, leading to the Fever s
Lucia
I don't know what I expected when I started this novel but at the end, it did not work for me at all. Writing was rushed and chaotic, it didn't sit well with me. I really had troubles concentrating on the story and I had hard time connecting with characters.

Moreover, the way others talked about "hero" made my eyes roll quite often.

"His manhood at half-mast would make a stallion envious."

And I just couldn't take story seriously when similar phrases were lurking at me here and there while reading
DarienMoya
^^MYSTIFYINGLY GOOD!^^

Beyond the Highland Mist is the first book in Moning’s Highlander series. A tale of when men were men, all brawn and brains, where the fey lurked about and caused confusion. Where men wore kilts and you would die just to get some wind to blow up those suckers. When a Sixteenth century warrior meets Twentieth century woman, things will never be the same again.

Adrienne de Simone is sick and tired of beautiful men. She knows hands down behind the face of an angel is the heart
Kitty (I solemnly swear that I am up to no good)
Fans of Mac and Barrons STAY AWAY from this offensive pile of dung.

This is the fantasy story of the beautiful, man hating (but not really, do not read this is you have any pro feminist views at all) orphan 'Adrienne De Simone' who travels back in time and right onto the lap of a violent laird, all because of the jealousy of the fairy queen's lover.

This is actually convenient for both the creepy old laird and Adrienne; for him because he just inexplicably killed his mad daughter right before she
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
3.5/5 stars

Thanks Rhonda for this book! Xo

Hawk is the perfect man, the epitome of male beauty. Legions of females fight for their one chance to be with the legendary Hawk, but Adrienne de Simone isn’t one of them. It isn’t the fact that she comes from the twentieth century. Or the fact that she doesn’t notice Hawk’s stunning good looks. It’s the fact that Adrienne just hates beautiful men.

And doesn’t that just suck for Hawk?

I just love it when the shameless manwhore finally falls for someone wh
Laura the Highland Hussy
This is one of my favorite series of all time, I just love KMM and her hot Highlanders!
I loved Adrienne and I thought she handled the whole being tossed back in time a few centuries pretty well. Hawk really made me mad, and I thought that the whole "seeling" her to him like his falcons was a bit much. I liked the way the two of them were together after they finally had sex.
I loved Adam Black, oh my gosh did I love him! A hot sweaty blacksmith in nothing but a kilt? mm-mm Too bad his book isn't
Anna
Highlanders
Soul sweeping love
Epic chivalry
And another HAWK to love/lust/combust over ??????
Andddddd another bezzie/buddy read with my book soul sister Lisa Jayne ......

This is the makings of the finer things in life ❤️❤️
AH
There's about 6 months left to wait until the next installment of the Fever series comes out. So, I thought to myself, why not read Karen Moning's Highlander series. I had heard that the first book was not that great and that I could just skip to the third book. I am so glad that I didn't because I had a lot of fun reading Beyond the Highland Mist.

Beyond the Highland Mist has all the elements of a fun summer read:

(1) The hero is a "perfect" man. His "endowments" are legendary and well described,
oOSarahOo
This is not the type of book I usually read but once in a while I feel like a change and try a something different. Well, picking up "Beyond the Highland Mist" was not a good idea.

I still can't believe how ridiculous this book is and what possessed me to finish it. Granted, I skimmed through most of the pages, but still... The writing is awful and repetitive (get rid of every passage where the heroine says she "hates beautiful men" and those where the hero's flawless body is mentioned and half
Vika aka ♔ of GIF & Grumpy Smut-ateer *P/T Freebie Fairy
I'm in love!!! Watch out my Kristen Ashley's Alphas! Hawk is in town and he's wearing a kilt (and nothing else on)... Yum...

description

Loved the introduction to the sexy Highlanders... their super bossy, Alpha ways and working with their hands (in all ways possible).

Mallory
2 stars

I was both confused and bored with this book. Seems totally contradictory, but the storyline was all over the place but I was still bored and uninterested. It pains me to rate a Karen Marie Moning book so low, but it took all I had to actually finish.

I'm going to take the advice of many and skip ahead to the 4th book of the series. I've read that they get immensely better starting there.
FlibBityFLooB
4.5/5 stars. I think that my enjoyment of this novel largely stemmed from two things:

1) I read Karen Marie Moning's urban fantasy FEVER series first. It's one of my favorite series, and I think that seeing the potential for cross-over in this series brought lots of enjoyment to my reading of this book.

2) I listened to the audiobook. The narrator has a sexy male voice and was able to do so many different accents in very nice ways ;) This is the same audiobook narrator who does Jerricho Barrons fr
LibraryLass
Loved it!!! I thoroughly enjoyed the whole premise of this book. The idea of a man (Hawk) getting his comeuppance by sending a woman (Adrienne) who hates beautiful men, just tickled me right from the beginning.

I thought it was a clever plotline. I have read time-travel before and enjoyed but this was clever and funny. It certainly had its poignant moments too and this just added a bit of depth to the story.

I loved how KMM developed Hawk and Adrienne's characters. Their relationship was a given,
Kat  Hooper
Originally posted at FanLit.

Modern Seattle: Ravishingly gorgeous Adrienne de Simone (whose every body part is “perfect,” though she doesn’t know that) hates beautiful men because she just had a bad experience with the gorgeous man who was her fiancé. Never! Never again!

Medieval Scotland: Sidheach James Lyon Douglas, otherwise known as “the Hawk” (even his mother calls him that) or “the King’s Whore,” is the hottest laird on the Highlands, but he’s never met a woman he could love. Every one of hi
Glamdring
*Buddy re-listening with Blacky <333*

5 stars for the story
5 stars for the narrator, Phil Gigante is the best of the best! <3<3<3

Beth
I decided to do a re-read of Karen Marie Moning's Highlander series. Yup, I still love them.

Every once in a while you need to re-read your favorites. It is amazing the little tid-bits that you discover that you must of missed the last few times you've read the book or series. I can't wait to find out what never realizations I will find.
Vered
Didn't like the heroine, the hero was a damn fool and the plot line as cheesy as can get. But I couldn't stop reading.... KMM knows how to keep you in the book grasps and hold you tight. Hence, the 3 stars.
Ariana
Whoever said that this isn't a corset-ripping-hot-piece-of-macdaddy-in-a-kilt historical romance lied. It is.

It's just humorous as well.
When is Burned due? 6 151 Jul 03, 2014 04:39PM
A Little Bit of E...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Beyond the Highland Mist (Kilts Winner June '14) Spoiler Free 47 43 Jun 29, 2014 09:20AM
Is this book anything like the Fever Series? 23 90 May 26, 2014 03:40PM
Who Would You Like Dani To Be With 18 133 Feb 18, 2014 09:18PM
Moning Maniacs: Burned (Dani O'Malley Trilogy #2)(Fever Book #7) **Not Yet Released ** 5 62 Nov 05, 2013 11:03PM
Fantastic series 25 170 Oct 15, 2013 04:38AM
Dangerous Hero Ad...: Highlander Series by Karen Marie Moning ~ 07/12/12 25 113 Sep 17, 2013 03:25PM
  • Highland Guardian (Daughters of the Glen, #2)
  • The Hawk (Highland Guard, #2)
  • Charming the Highlander (Highlander, #1)
  • Lord of the Highlands (Highlands, #4)
  • Forbidden Highlander (Dark Sword, #2)
  • Awaken the Highland Warrior (Connor Clan, #1)
  • Laird of the Mist (MacGregors, #1)
  • Dark Seduction (Masters of Time, #1)
  • A Dance Through Time (MacLeod, #1)
Karen Marie Moning (rhymes with 'awning') is a # 1 New York Times bestselling author of 15 novels, including the RITA award-winning Highlander novels and the internationally bestselling urban fantasy "Fever" series. Her books have been published in nearly 40 languages, and her events draw fans from all over the world.

Moning graduated from Purdue University with a Bachelor's degree in Society and
More about Karen Marie Moning...

Highlander (8 books)
  • To Tame A Highland Warrior (Highlander #2)
  • The Highlander's Touch (Highlander, #3)
  • Kiss of the Highlander (Highlander, #4)
  • The Dark Highlander (Highlander, #5)
  • The Immortal Highlander (Highlander, #6)
  • Spell of the Highlander (Highlander, #7)
  • Into the Dreaming (Highlander, #8)
Darkfever (Fever, #1) Shadowfever (Fever, #5) Dreamfever (Fever, #4) Faefever (Fever, #3) Bloodfever (Fever, #2)

“Bedevil the devil and devil be dammed. I fear no devil and bow to no man.

- Adam Black”
73 likes
“Valhalla on the right. Paradise regained on the left. Stuck between a Godiva truffle and a chocolate eclair. Between a rock and a very hard place. Two very hard places from the looks of it.” 55 likes