Beyond the Highland Mist (Highlander, #1)

Beyond the Highland Mist (Highlander #1)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  37,034 ratings  ·  1,822 reviews
An alluring laird

He was known throughout the kingdom as Hawk, legendary predator of the battlefield and the boudoir. No woman could refuse his touch, but no woman ever stirred his heart - until a vengeful fairy tumbled Adrienne de Simone out of modern-day Seattle and into medieval Scotland. Captive in a century not her own, entirely too bold, too outspoken, she was an irre...more
Audio CD
Published July 20th 2007 by Brilliance Audio (first published March 9th 1999)

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine...

Beyond the Highland Mist is my first read by this author, and not a bad start to the Highland series, though only loosely tied to it.

Those who know me know that I suffer from a sometimes debilitating disorder known as MRBIOs, Must Read Books In Order syndrome. It’s important that you understand this about me because I’m about make a shocking statement, here: In order to enjoy this series, it isn’t necessary to read the first book. Yes, I really did say that, and no, I’m not on medication. Just...more
Lisa Jayne
FOUR HIGHLAND STARS.

description

It was about time for me to read this new-to-me author. I wanted epic love, a toe curling romance, and a love that would sweep me off my feet and this book delivered. Moning provided me with the perfect escape and I couldn't have wished for more. An utterly dreamy start to a series that I know I'm going to fall in love with.

... Book two here I come.

description

*Buddy read with the bezzie ...*
Emily May

I'm having mixed feelings about this one as a whole but I would just like to say that my 3.5 star rating is, in this case, a rather positive one. I actually enjoyed reading the majority of this novel and I also wouldn't mind checking out Moning's other Highland novels as I've heard this is the least popular of the series. It suffered somewhat from the inevitable comparisons that I simply had to make to the Fever series, it was nothing like those and I'm starting to believe nothing ever...more
Loederkoningin
What will be your reason for picking this one up?

If it's anything like: “Mmm, I really like KMM’s Fever series...Mac 3.0 was alright and Mac 4.0 kicked some ass. And Barrons..oh Barrons! That hot, carnal, cantankerous badass... So why not try KMM's other series?” Well, let's say you're in for a surprise. Beyond the Highland Mist is nothing like the Fever series. Evidence to substantiate this bold statement you ask? How about this?

"The thing about the room that struck her so hard was that it see...more
Jessica (Rabid Reads)
May 03, 2014 Jessica (Rabid Reads) rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of PNR, Historical Romance, Alpha males, sexy brogues, and fairies.
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Beyond the Highland Mist by Karen Marie Moning was the first paranormal romance I ever read.

10+ years ago the only books I’d read that could even remotely be compared to PNR or UF were Anne Rice books (and if any of you have read Anne Rice books, you know that they are so not the same). I don’t think I even picked up my first modern (not Narnia or LOTR) fantasy until my freshman year of college (The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan).

I’m sure that all the Vivian...more
Barks & Bites
Next up on the IPod.

This book has received many favorable reviews but this isn’t going to be one of them. I feel like the Goodreads grouch but as I was listening to this on audio my overriding thought was, “when the hell is it going to end?” It seemed to plod on and on and if I heard the heroine exclaim “I HATE BEAUTIFUL MEN!” once more whilst drooling over two pretty men I was certain I was going lose the last thread of sanity that’s holding me together.

I’m not going to waste your time (and mi...more
♥  Sam ♥ ~S2~Im made of awesomness

Beyond the Highland Mist - First of all I have read this series out of order, intentionally. I was told by a dozen fellow reviewers that the first three in this series were pretty flat. So I read 4-7 and FREAKING LOVED THEM, but then my gal pal, Nissie and I decided that we should pay the first three in the series homage. After reading the first one, I’m going to have to swing my vote in favour of this one not being anywhere near as good as books 4-7. The only compensation being that I got a chu...more
Blu
I love historical romances - especially those featuring pirates, knights, and highlanders - so I was excited to discover Karen Marie Moning's "Highlander" series. "Beyond the Highland Mist" is the first in the series and I am so glad I picked this book up!

Sixteenth Century - Sidheach (Sid-hawk) James Lyon Douglas is known as Hawk, legendary lover to countless women. His sensuality just oozes off the pages. He is well-aware of the hold his beauty and his sexuality holds over the women who are lu...more
Kristen (Peddler of Smut)
2 1/2 to 3 stars

I'm glad I read this series out of order (these books can be read out of order). I'm honestly not sure if would have continued the series had I read the first three books in the series first. Personally, I don't think the series was particularly engrossing until after the third book. Books four, five, and six are my favorite, with book six, The Immortal Highlander, my favorite of the series. You must, however, read books four, five, six, and seven in order.

I recommend reading th...more
Lisa O.
What did I think? I thought thank god I read the Fever series before this or I would have never picked it up and would have mocked anyone who recommended it to me.
There isn't much to say about this book except the fact that this is not the Karen Marie Moning I am used to. Yet, some things have actually acquired a certain clarity; she is certainly a veteran in writing hot steamy sex scenes and the Highlander series has been, for all intents and purposes, her training camp, leading to the Fever s...more
DarienMoya
^^MYSTIFYINGLY GOOD!^^

Beyond the Highland Mist is the first book in Moning’s Highlander series. A tale of when men were men, all brawn and brains, where the fey lurked about and caused confusion. Where men wore kilts and you would die just to get some wind to blow up those suckers. When a Sixteenth century warrior meets Twentieth century woman, things will never be the same again.

Adrienne de Simone is sick and tired of beautiful men. She knows hands down behind the face of an angel is the heart...more
Kitty (I solemnly swear that I am up to no good)
Fans of Mac and Barrons STAY AWAY from this offensive pile of dung.

This is the fantasy story of the beautiful, man hating (but not really, do not read this is you have any pro feminist views at all) orphan 'Adrienne De Simone' who travels back in time and right onto the lap of a violent laird, all because of the jealousy of the fairy queen's lover.

This is actually convenient for both the creepy old laird and Adrienne; for him because he just inexplicably killed his mad daughter right before she...more
Blacky *Romance Addict*
This is quite a rant, I'm not usually up for writing bad about books, but I gotta voice my opinion on this one, sorry KMM fans, don't take it personally. I will continue reading her stuff though :) Just hope the stories will be better than this one.

Spoiler alert ahead!

I've watched a lot of soap operas, and this book was just like one. And a bad one at that. I just couldn't like it much.

The writing style was ok, this is a new writer for me so it took some getting used to, but I didn't mind anyth...more
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
3.5/5 stars

Thanks Rhonda for this book! Xo

Hawk is the perfect man, the epitome of male beauty. Legions of females fight for their one chance to be with the legendary Hawk, but Adrienne de Simone isn’t one of them. It isn’t the fact that she comes from the twentieth century. Or the fact that she doesn’t notice Hawk’s stunning good looks. It’s the fact that Adrienne just hates beautiful men.

And doesn’t that just suck for Hawk?

I just love it when the shameless manwhore finally falls for someone wh...more
Anna
Highlanders
Soul sweeping love
Epic chivalry
And another HAWK to love/lust/combust over ??????
Andddddd another bezzie/buddy read with my book soul sister Lisa Jayne ......

This is the makings of the finer things in life ❤️❤️
Laura the Highland Hussy
This is one of my favorite series of all time, I just love KMM and her hot Highlanders!
I loved Adrienne and I thought she handled the whole being tossed back in time a few centuries pretty well. Hawk really made me mad, and I thought that the whole "seeling" her to him like his falcons was a bit much. I liked the way the two of them were together after they finally had sex.
I loved Adam Black, oh my gosh did I love him! A hot sweaty blacksmith in nothing but a kilt? mm-mm Too bad his book isn't...more
AH
There's about 6 months left to wait until the next installment of the Fever series comes out. So, I thought to myself, why not read Karen Moning's Highlander series. I had heard that the first book was not that great and that I could just skip to the third book. I am so glad that I didn't because I had a lot of fun reading Beyond the Highland Mist.

Beyond the Highland Mist has all the elements of a fun summer read:

(1) The hero is a "perfect" man. His "endowments" are legendary and well described,...more
Vika aka ♔ of GIF & Grumpy Smut-ateer *P/T Freebie Fairy
I'm in love!!! Watch out my Kristen Ashley's Alphas! Hawk is in town and he's wearing a kilt (and nothing else on)... Yum...

description

Loved the introduction to the sexy Highlanders... their super bossy, Alpha ways and working with their hands (in all ways possible).

LibraryLass
Loved it!!! I thoroughly enjoyed the whole premise of this book. The idea of a man (Hawk) getting his comeuppance by sending a woman (Adrienne) who hates beautiful men, just tickled me right from the beginning.

I thought it was a clever plotline. I have read time-travel before and enjoyed but this was clever and funny. It certainly had its poignant moments too and this just added a bit of depth to the story.

I loved how KMM developed Hawk and Adrienne's characters. Their relationship was a given,...more
Kat  Hooper
Originally posted at FanLit.

Modern Seattle: Ravishingly gorgeous Adrienne de Simone (whose every body part is “perfect,” though she doesn’t know that) hates beautiful men because she just had a bad experience with the gorgeous man who was her fiancé. Never! Never again!

Medieval Scotland: Sidheach James Lyon Douglas, otherwise known as “the Hawk” (even his mother calls him that) or “the King’s Whore,” is the hottest laird on the Highlands, but he’s never met a woman he could love. Every one of hi...more
Vered
Didn't like the heroine, the hero was a damn fool and the plot line as cheesy as can get. But I couldn't stop reading.... KMM knows how to keep you in the book grasps and hold you tight. Hence, the 3 stars.
Ariana
Whoever said that this isn't a corset-ripping-hot-piece-of-macdaddy-in-a-kilt historical romance lied. It is.

It's just humorous as well.
Lauren
Beyond the Highland Mist
3.5 Stars

Synopsis:
Laird of Dalkeith, Hawk Douglas’s reputation with the ladies is the stuff of legend even in the land of the fae. No woman has ever refused his touch but neither has one captured his heart until the arrival of Adrienne de Simone. A modern-day woman transported back in time to Medieval Scotland by a vengeful fairy, Adrienne is coerced into marriage to Hawk but swears that she will never again be tempted by a beautiful man. Can Hawk convince her of his love...more
Jaime West
I will be the first to admit that I was a little trepidacious going into these books, but after finally hunting down a version without a mills and boon cover, I began reading.
And I was pleasantly surprised, the writing is great, there is humour and you can't help but fall for the characters, and I love that individuals from this book will be used in the next books.
Oh, but of course, Adam Black, the yummy black smith!! He is such a scumbag, I love him!!

Anyway, I won't repeat the 'summary' in my...more
FlibBityFLooB
4.5/5 stars. I think that my enjoyment of this novel largely stemmed from two things:

1) I read Karen Marie Moning's urban fantasy FEVER series first. It's one of my favorite series, and I think that seeing the potential for cross-over in this series brought lots of enjoyment to my reading of this book.

2) I listened to the audiobook. The narrator has a sexy male voice and was able to do so many different accents in very nice ways ;) This is the same audiobook narrator who does Jerricho Barrons fr...more
~J~ Riverina Romantics
5 fabulously HUGE stars!!

Wow…I freaking LOVED THIS BOOK!!

Have no idea why I decided to read this book, I honestly hadn’t heard a lot about it but by chance or divine intervention I choose this book and will be forever grateful!

Beyond The Highland Mist is a cat and mouse romance about Hawk and Adrienne. Hawk being the Scottish Laird who is as sexy as sin, with the sexual prowess of a God and also hung like a Stallion with Adrienne being the modern day beauty that has been hurt in the past and wil...more
♡♥Ang ♥♡
So I have never read a Highlander book or anything by KMM,I thought that this way killing two birds with one stone would come in handy..LOL.. I think that is the old saying??
Any who I have finished This book, At start i was like,eh i dunno if i am going to like this!
But as i got past the first 3 chapters it happened!! I fell head over hells for Hawk and Adrienne,there story was fantastic and the plot and romance was so so so GOOD, i couldn't put it down!!
I Really did enjoy reading this book and...more
Mitzi
Good series. Just listened to audio version (Sept 2012) after reading the book a long time ago. It wasn't as good of a story as I remember it, but I did like the narrator and want to continue to reread/relisten to them.
Alana ~ The Book Pimp
I'd go as far as 4½♥'s...

Let me start out with the fact that I'm NOT a fan of historical romance. It's not my bag (generally) and I usually avoid it, but a friend (Jennypher) recommended this and I LOVE the fever series so I just had to check it out. WOW. Just WOW. It reminds me why I LOVED the Highlander movie... and the Highlander show... and why I melt into puddles of female goo around a Scottish accent and kilt (in true Scottish fashion) to boot. Yum. If you don't like historical, still giv...more
Jen (Red Hot Books)
I am a big fan of Karen Marie Moning. I love her Highlander books and her Fever series. But Beyond the Highland Mist was written before she hit that sweet spot in her writing that made me a fan for life. It’s not that it’s a bad book –it’s not. It’s just a little better than a standard OK-romance novel.

Hawk Douglas is the sexiest and hottest lover to ever grace the Highlands. And when the Fairy Queen wishes to make her consorts jealous, she sings his praises. It works. They decide to punish him...more
When is Burned due? 6 144 Jul 03, 2014 04:39PM
A Little Bit of E...: Beyond the Highland Mist (Kilts Winner June '14) Spoiler Free 47 42 Jun 29, 2014 09:20AM
Is this book anything like the Fever Series? 23 69 May 26, 2014 03:40PM
Who Would You Like Dani To Be With 18 124 Feb 18, 2014 09:18PM
Moning Maniacs: Burned (Dani O'Malley Trilogy #2)(Fever Book #7) **Not Yet Released ** 5 57 Nov 05, 2013 11:03PM
Fantastic series 25 170 Oct 15, 2013 04:38AM
Dangerous Hero Ad...: Highlander Series by Karen Marie Moning ~ 07/12/12 25 111 Sep 17, 2013 03:25PM
  • Soul of a Highlander (Daughters of the Glen, #3)
  • Highlander Untamed (MacLeods of Skye Trilogy, #1)
  • Awaken the Highland Warrior (Connor Clan, #1)
  • Warrior of the Highlands (Highlands, #3)
  • Charming the Highlander (Highlander, #1)
  • Ravished by a Highlander (Children of the Mist, #1)
  • Dark Rival (Masters of Time, #2)
  • Dangerous Highlander (Dark Sword, #1)
  • Tapestry (Were-Hunter, #0.5; Highlander, #8; De Piaget, #10)
Karen Marie Moning (rhymes with 'awning') is a # 1 New York Times bestselling author of 15 novels, including the RITA award-winning Highlander novels and the internationally bestselling urban fantasy "Fever" series. Her books have been published in nearly 40 languages, and her events draw fans from all over the world.

Moning graduated from Purdue University with a Bachelor's degree in Society and...more
More about Karen Marie Moning...
Darkfever (Fever, #1) Shadowfever (Fever, #5) Dreamfever (Fever, #4) Bloodfever (Fever, #2) Faefever (Fever, #3)

“Bedevil the devil and devil be dammed. I fear no devil and bow to no man.

- Adam Black”
68 likes
“Valhalla on the right. Paradise regained on the left. Stuck between a Godiva truffle and a chocolate eclair. Between a rock and a very hard place. Two very hard places from the looks of it.” 56 likes