Start by marking “Lady Lollipop” as Want to Read:
Lady Lollipop

Lady Lollipop

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  366 ratings  ·  64 reviews
"The author of BABE, THE GALLANT PIG offers another winner with this tale of a bright pig and her canny young keeper ‘training’ a spoiled princess. . . . Move over, Wilbur."— KIRKUS REVIEWS (starred review)

Lollipop is no ordinary pig. According to her young trainer, Johnny Skinner, she’s the smartest pig in the entire kingdom. When people stare into Lollipop’s bright, inte
Published July 14th 2003 by Candlewick Press (first published June 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Lady Lollipop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lady Lollipop

Mockingjay by Suzanne CollinsOut of My Mind by Sharon M. DraperOne Crazy Summer by Rita Williams-GarciaCountdown by Deborah WilesMockingbird by Kathryn Erskine
Newbery 2011
88th out of 147 books — 500 voters

More lists with this book...

Shauna
Sallie and I finished this last week. She absolutely loved it. There is a simple pencil drawing on nearly every page, and the story was perfect for a four year old read aloud. It's about a spoiled princess who wants a pig for her birthday. She gets the pig, but the pig, named Lollipop, will only obey its trainer, not Princess Penelope. So the trainer moves into the palace stables with the pig. The trainer, Johnny Skinner, ends up training the princess . . . to learn to think of others and to not ...more
Anne
Adorable tale of a pig & his young trainer who subtly teach a bratty princess (and her entire family) a thing or two about kindness, thinking of others, and making compromises.

Mr. King-Smith has a huge catalog of books & we can't wait to try The Waterhorse and Babe, seeing as we've seen the movies & had no idea they were based on books.
Becky
This book was pretty simplistic but an easy read aloud book for young children. The book has plenty of pictures to keep young kids entertained while reading. There is some old fashioned language in this book which made me think the book was written a while ago (like the 1940s) but this book was written much more recently! The language might need to be clarified for kids. At first the main characters are not very likable, Princess Penelope is a spoiled brat and the King and Queen don't do anythin ...more
Jean O'Shea
A quick-witted swineherd and a very charming pig named Lollipop are royally rewarded after they reform a spoiled princess. It was chosen as a Notable Children's Book for middle readers by the Association for Library Service to Children in 2002.

This is yet another charming piggy themed book from the author of Babe, the Gallant Pig. Again, the actions of the pig take center stage. However, in this story, Lollipop quietly encourages the princess to change her haughty ways. Readers will immediately
Princess Penelope has decided what she wants for her birthday. She doesn’t want a puppy. She doesn’t want a kitten. She doesn’t want a pony. What she wants is a pig. So, a pig is what she gets.

And not just any pig. She gets a pig named Lollipop from a boy named Johnny Skinner. Johnny’s a smart lad, and he’s brought out the smartness in Lollipop – she actually obeys his commands! Penelope is delighted at the idea of an obedient pig but soon discovers that Lollipop obeys no one but Johnny. So, she
Ho Ming Yung
This book is about a princess who finds a pig in the carnival and wants to buy it. But, the king and queen thinks that the pig is too dirty for the palace. I especially liked the part when they finally buy the pig and bring it back to the palace. My favourite character was the pig because she is always curious about things. I recommend this book to children 8+
Elise
Jonah gave it 5 stars. Enjoyable read aloud book for both young kids and adults. No scary parts, although Jonah says he didn't like when Penelope was very spoiled in the beginning.

Even my 2 year old paid attention to most of the story, although she preferred the pages where there was a drawing of Penelope.
Logan
A bossy Princess used to getting her way (or throwing a tantrum if she doesn't) decides she wants a pig for her birthday. The Queen is not amused, but the King insists the Princess shall have her wish. Pig-keepers from all over the realm come with their offerings and after rejecting one after another, the Princess chooses the dirtiest and skinniest one, named Lollipop, because her keeper has taught her some tricks. When the Princess decides that Lollipop should be a house-pig (or palace-pig in t ...more
Megan
What a delightful children's book! It is full of wonderful drawings, making it a good reader for the early chapter book level. And it is short, so it won't be intimidating for young readers.
Amy
This was a delightful read that both my 4 and 6 year old enjoyed. I think it's a great introduction to chapter books for younger children.
Ann Marie
A second grade read I think...very easy read...about a spoiled child who wants a pet pig...oh and yea - she is a princess...the art work was very nice.
Angela
Charming story. My kids enjoyed it too. Wonderful story of how a spoiled little girl changes because of pig training.
Kayce
Adorable! I can't wait to read this book with Madilyn.
Katie
The girls and I loved this book. Perfect for their current ages of 8 and 6. There is also a picture sketched on most of the pages which they loved!
Keri
This is another of our read-aloud books. Mari was not interested in the first third or so and thought it was boring.....until "poop" became part of the story. Then it got interesting to her :) From the same author as Babe, Lady Lollipop is really all about potty training a pig and breaking the bratty bad habits of a spoiled princess. I appreciated the lessons about manners and being kind and polite in order to get what you want, and that it's okay to not always get one's way.
Anna
recommended for EL310 at Chase Academy

This is an friendly read for early independent readers, especially readers who are new to Chase (e.g., assign this book shortly after intensives). Vocabulary and plot are on target for 310, plus there's ample support in the Jill Barton's illustration. This probably won't be a personal favorite amongst teachers, but I think young readers will appreciate King-Smith's humor and knack for depicting smart, charming pigs.
Kaye
A spoiled 8 year old princess gets a pig for her birthday and the pig trainer (Johnny Skinner) teaches the royal family about good manners and being kind, A very easy read. Reminds me of books form my youth. I will need to try the story out on my students before making a final judgment on how much I like he book. King-Smith has lots of books featuring both NF and Friction titles. I especially like the non-fiction.
Leila Bowers
Whimsical, funny, and cute with a decent lesson.
H
A short chapter about a spoiled princess and her parents, and the birthday pig (and its keeper) who teach her to be a nicer girl. Sweet and would make a cute read aloud, though the concentration on Lollipop winning over the Queen through her ability to poop on command to fertilize the roses might make it too distracting to read in a classroom. Would be good for kids in chapter books in 2nd/3rd grade.
Sheryl Smith
This is such a cute book!

It is the story of a little girl, a princess, who is very spoiled, and about her mother, who thinks she needs discipline, and about her father, the king, who indulges her every wish.

In the story, the girl learns some values, how to be kind and appreciative and transforms into an entirely different sort of girl.

All because of a pig!!!
Maren
If you haven't read a book by Dick King-Smith, you are missing out. He is the author of Babe, which the children's movie was based off of. All of his books that I have read are just clever, cute stories about animals. If you're looking for something fun and interesting to read with a child (or by yourself), I'd recommend any of King-Smith's books.
Malbadeen
Mar 04, 2008 Malbadeen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids 4+
a spoiled princess wants a pig. The king allows it. the pig trainer ends up training both the pig and the girl in the art of good manners.

cute. seriously, no sarcasm, no punch line, I really do think it's a cute book. dick King Smith books remind me of Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle, Pippi Longstocking and other whimsical children's books.

Tiffany
My 4 year old absolutely loved this story. She did not understand some of the terminology used the book, but it did not seem to affect how much she enjoyed the book. She was eager to find out what would happen to Lollipop and if Johnny would be able to train her. She is excited to read more books by Dick King-Smith.
Munisha
Excellent book. My 7-year loved this book and she got to learn a very important lesson from Penelope and Johnny. It is a quick easy read and a must read for all little princesses who have lost or never developed their manners. I also learned a valuable lesson from the King, that excess of love is not always a good thing.
Lisa
A sweet, simple little book that is perfect for the 5-8 range. It is about a spoiled princess who learns to be kind from a boy and his pig, Lollipop. There are cute illustrations throughout, which also helps hold the attention of those young readers/listeners.
Samantha Price
Lady Lollipop, in my oppinion, was a good book. Personally, I thought it was a little immature for book level. But it was still a good book with a great moral about a spoiled Princess learning to think more of others and less of herself.
Lorna
This is a sweet book that is perfect for an early read-aloud. It follows the sassy and very spoiled Princess Penelope as she takes on the role as caregiver to a pet pig. Their friendship grows, and the princess reforms her ways. Charming!
Jules
This book was ok. The illustrations were good and the story started out ok, but a cautionary tale about not being a spoiled princess soon turned into a story about how to trick the Queen into doing what the princess wants.
Dick King-Smith passed away just a few days into 2011. I read this book to my 4th grade class several years ago. This was a quick, easy read that my students enjoyed! I liked it too.
Kerry
This is a decent chapter book for four year-olds and up to six or seven year-olds, about a spoiled princess who is secretly "trained" to be well-behaved along with her new pet pig.
  • Emmaline and the Bunny
  • Anna Hibiscus
  • In Aunt Lucy's Kitchen (Cobble Street Cousins, # 1)
  • Mrs. Noodlekugel
  • Mercy Watson to the Rescue (Mercy Watson #1)
  • The Dunderheads
  • Sadie and Ratz
  • Lulu and the Brontosaurus
  • Jenny and the Cat Club: A Collection of Favorite Stories about Jenny Linsky
  • Smarter than Squirrels (Down Girl and Sit)
  • Upstairs Mouse, Downstairs Mole
  • On My Way (26 Fairmount Avenue Book, #3)
  • Ruby Lu, Brave and True
  • The Stories Julian Tells
  • The Enormous Egg
  • The Magical Ms. Plum
  • Imogene's Last Stand
  • The Doll Shop Downstairs
Dick King-Smith was born and raised in Gloucestershire, England, surrounded by pet animals. After twenty years as a farmer, he turned to teaching and then to writing children's books.

Dick writes mostly about animals: farmyard fantasy, as he likes to call it, often about pigs, his special favorites. He enjoys writing for children, meeting the children who read his books, and knowing that they get
More about Dick King-Smith...
Babe: The Gallant Pig The Water Horse A Mouse Called Wolf Martin's Mice The Hodgeheg