Lady Lollipop

Lady Lollipop

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  290 ratings  ·  56 reviews
"The author of BABE, THE GALLANT PIG offers another winner with this tale of a bright pig and her canny young keeper ‘training’ a spoiled princess. . . . Move over, Wilbur."— KIRKUS REVIEWS (starred review)

Lollipop is no ordinary pig. According to her young trainer, Johnny Skinner, she’s the smartest pig in the entire kingdom. When people stare into Lollipop’s bright, inte...more
Published July 14th 2003 by Candlewick Press (first published June 1st 2001)

Mockingjay by Suzanne CollinsOut of My Mind by Sharon M. DraperOne Crazy Summer by Rita Williams-GarciaCountdown by Deborah WilesMockingbird by Kathryn Erskine
Newbery 2011
84th out of 148 books — 465 voters

More lists with this book...

Shauna
Sallie and I finished this last week. She absolutely loved it. There is a simple pencil drawing on nearly every page, and the story was perfect for a four year old read aloud. It's about a spoiled princess who wants a pig for her birthday. She gets the pig, but the pig, named Lollipop, will only obey its trainer, not Princess Penelope. So the trainer moves into the palace stables with the pig. The trainer, Johnny Skinner, ends up training the princess . . . to learn to think of others and to not...more
Jean O'Shea
A quick-witted swineherd and a very charming pig named Lollipop are royally rewarded after they reform a spoiled princess. It was chosen as a Notable Children's Book for middle readers by the Association for Library Service to Children in 2002.

This is yet another charming piggy themed book from the author of Babe, the Gallant Pig. Again, the actions of the pig take center stage. However, in this story, Lollipop quietly encourages the princess to change her haughty ways. Readers will immediately...more
Princess Penelope has decided what she wants for her birthday. She doesn’t want a puppy. She doesn’t want a kitten. She doesn’t want a pony. What she wants is a pig. So, a pig is what she gets.

And not just any pig. She gets a pig named Lollipop from a boy named Johnny Skinner. Johnny’s a smart lad, and he’s brought out the smartness in Lollipop – she actually obeys his commands! Penelope is delighted at the idea of an obedient pig but soon discovers that Lollipop obeys no one but Johnny. So, she...more
Logan
A bossy Princess used to getting her way (or throwing a tantrum if she doesn't) decides she wants a pig for her birthday. The Queen is not amused, but the King insists the Princess shall have her wish. Pig-keepers from all over the realm come with their offerings and after rejecting one after another, the Princess chooses the dirtiest and skinniest one, named Lollipop, because her keeper has taught her some tricks. When the Princess decides that Lollipop should be a house-pig (or palace-pig in t...more
Amy
This was a delightful read that both my 4 and 6 year old enjoyed. I think it's a great introduction to chapter books for younger children.
Keri
This is another of our read-aloud books. Mari was not interested in the first third or so and thought it was boring.....until "poop" became part of the story. Then it got interesting to her :) From the same author as Babe, Lady Lollipop is really all about potty training a pig and breaking the bratty bad habits of a spoiled princess. I appreciated the lessons about manners and being kind and polite in order to get what you want, and that it's okay to not always get one's way.
Anna
recommended for EL310 at Chase Academy

This is an friendly read for early independent readers, especially readers who are new to Chase (e.g., assign this book shortly after intensives). Vocabulary and plot are on target for 310, plus there's ample support in the Jill Barton's illustration. This probably won't be a personal favorite amongst teachers, but I think young readers will appreciate King-Smith's humor and knack for depicting smart, charming pigs.
Kaye
A spoiled 8 year old princess gets a pig for her birthday and the pig trainer (Johnny Skinner) teaches the royal family about good manners and being kind, A very easy read. Reminds me of books form my youth. I will need to try the story out on my students before making a final judgment on how much I like he book. King-Smith has lots of books featuring both NF and Friction titles. I especially like the non-fiction.
Leila Bowers
Whimsical, funny, and cute with a decent lesson.
H
A short chapter about a spoiled princess and her parents, and the birthday pig (and its keeper) who teach her to be a nicer girl. Sweet and would make a cute read aloud, though the concentration on Lollipop winning over the Queen through her ability to poop on command to fertilize the roses might make it too distracting to read in a classroom. Would be good for kids in chapter books in 2nd/3rd grade.
Sheryl
This is such a cute book!

It is the story of a little girl, a princess, who is very spoiled, and about her mother, who thinks she needs discipline, and about her father, the king, who indulges her every wish.

In the story, the girl learns some values, how to be kind and appreciative and transforms into an entirely different sort of girl.

All because of a pig!!!
Maren
If you haven't read a book by Dick King-Smith, you are missing out. He is the author of Babe, which the children's movie was based off of. All of his books that I have read are just clever, cute stories about animals. If you're looking for something fun and interesting to read with a child (or by yourself), I'd recommend any of King-Smith's books.
Malbadeen
Mar 04, 2008 Malbadeen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: kids 4+
a spoiled princess wants a pig. The king allows it. the pig trainer ends up training both the pig and the girl in the art of good manners.

cute. seriously, no sarcasm, no punch line, I really do think it's a cute book. dick King Smith books remind me of Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle, Pippi Longstocking and other whimsical children's books.

Tiffany
My 4 year old absolutely loved this story. She did not understand some of the terminology used the book, but it did not seem to affect how much she enjoyed the book. She was eager to find out what would happen to Lollipop and if Johnny would be able to train her. She is excited to read more books by Dick King-Smith.
Munisha
Excellent book. My 7-year loved this book and she got to learn a very important lesson from Penelope and Johnny. It is a quick easy read and a must read for all little princesses who have lost or never developed their manners. I also learned a valuable lesson from the King, that excess of love is not always a good thing.
Lisa
A sweet, simple little book that is perfect for the 5-8 range. It is about a spoiled princess who learns to be kind from a boy and his pig, Lollipop. There are cute illustrations throughout, which also helps hold the attention of those young readers/listeners.
Samantha Price
Lady Lollipop, in my oppinion, was a good book. Personally, I thought it was a little immature for book level. But it was still a good book with a great moral about a spoiled Princess learning to think more of others and less of herself.
Lorna
This is a sweet book that is perfect for an early read-aloud. It follows the sassy and very spoiled Princess Penelope as she takes on the role as caregiver to a pet pig. Their friendship grows, and the princess reforms her ways. Charming!
Jules
This book was ok. The illustrations were good and the story started out ok, but a cautionary tale about not being a spoiled princess soon turned into a story about how to trick the Queen into doing what the princess wants.
Dick King-Smith passed away just a few days into 2011. I read this book to my 4th grade class several years ago. This was a quick, easy read that my students enjoyed! I liked it too.
Kerry
This is a decent chapter book for four year-olds and up to six or seven year-olds, about a spoiled princess who is secretly "trained" to be well-behaved along with her new pet pig.
Beverly
2001 ALA Notable Children's Book
An easy to read book with large print; great for 3rd grade and up. Interesting characters that change and grow in this short novel.
First read aloud book with Lauren. I think she most enjoyed recapping the story whenever we started reading for the night. Fun story about a princess adopting a pig.
Kelly
A very cute story about an unlikely palace pet. I enjoyed it even as an adult, but maybe I'm biased since I have a crippling love of all things pig-related.
Chris Hays
Great classic for kids. The book teaches a little about manners and helping others out. Easy read for the child just beginning chapter books.
MARGOT J.
I learned to "never be unhappy" -- such great lessons about interacting with other people. We all learned a lot from the little boy in this story.
Mas5thgrade2012
this book was so wonderful. i <3 the ending part. i think the pig is a nice pig. i <3 lady lollipop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Alissa
Super cute story of a girl who chooses a pig for her pet on her birthday and the raising and training of not only the pig, but herself as well.
Jessica
Cute Story. I read this to my daughter who is 4. She didn't enjoy it as much as I thought she would. I ended up finishing it on my own.
Taylor
Oh my Gosh this book is a funny descriptive book. I read this in like 5th grade and enjoyed it so much I will read it again one day.
  • Emmaline and the Bunny
  • In Aunt Lucy's Kitchen (Cobble Street Cousins, # 1)
  • Anna Hibiscus
  • Mercy Watson to the Rescue (Mercy Watson #1)
  • Lulu and the Brontosaurus
  • Mrs. Noodlekugel
  • The Dunderheads
  • Sadie and Ratz
  • Ruby Lu, Brave and True
  • Sophie Simon Solves Them All
  • Two Times the Fun
  • The Stories Julian Tells
  • Smarter than Squirrels (Down Girl and Sit)
  • The True Gift: A Christmas Story
  • The King's Equal
  • Jenny and the Cat Club: A Collection of Favorite Stories about Jenny Linsky
  • The Magical Ms. Plum
  • Horrid Henry (L.A.F. Books)
Dick King-Smith was born and raised in Gloucestershire, England, surrounded by pet animals. After twenty years as a farmer, he turned to teaching and then to writing children's books.

Dick writes mostly about animals: farmyard fantasy, as he likes to call it, often about pigs, his special favorites. He enjoys writing for children, meeting the children who read his books, and knowing that they get...more
More about Dick King-Smith...
Babe: The Gallant Pig The Water Horse A Mouse Called Wolf Martin's Mice The Hodgeheg (Puffin Modern Classics)