Start by marking “Quarry's Ex (Quarry #10 - Hard Case Crime #102)” as Want to Read:
Quarry's Ex (Quarry #10 - Hard Case Crime #102)

Quarry's Ex (Quarry #10)

BECAUSE HOMICIDE
BEGINS AT HOME

Even the enigmatic hit man called Quarry had to start somewhere. And for him that was the day he returned stateside from Namto find his young wife cheating. He'd killed plenty overseas, so killing her lover was no big deal. And when he was recruited touse his skills as a contract killer, that transition was easy, too. He survived in this jungl
Published September 20th 2011 by Hard Case Crime (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Quarry's Ex, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Quarry's Ex

Kemper
What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas. Especially if you’re a hit man and you’ve killed several people while there.

Quarry used to just murder people for money, but he now he works a new angle. Using info he accumulated while in the business, he now tracks other hit men while they’re getting ready to kill their latest target, and then he approaches the marks with an offer to dispose of the other hit men first. For a bonus fee, he’ll try to figure out who paid for the contract.

This gig has brought
Dan Schwent
Quarry's working with a movie director to stop the guys hired to kill him and find out who hired them. Too bad the last person Quarry expected to see again is complicating matters... his ex-wife.

The Hard Case Crime series is back and they've brought Quarry with them. Quarry is the same old methodical hitman he's been in the other Hard Case Quarry books. After reading the Perfect Crime reprints of the early Quarry books, it was nice to read one of the ones written once Max Allan Collins had a bit
Jim
It was fun to read Quarry again, although there was a lot of back story in this one. Not sure it all meshed right with the previous books, but it was still enjoyable. It was nice meeting his ex, too. It was short without too many convolutions & typically Quarry. He's a rather strange & cold guy.

It's a shame HCC has gone to the trade size. I have all their originals & they look great together, but they no longer fit the shelf properly. I don't care for this size to carry as much, eith
Eric_W
Really a prequel to the other Quarry books. This one had the least plausible plot, I thought. Quarry is well into his role as hitman of hitmen, in the service of those who have become targets. Those who have read any of the other Quarry novels will have already have numerous pieces to Quarry’s back-story: how he came to be recruited by the Broker, the betrayal by his ex-wife, his time in Vietnam. That he would meet his ex-wife as the wife of a B-movie director who has been targeted for assassina ...more
Mohammed
Jun 21, 2012 Mohammed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: noir
I read this yesterday stuck for 3 hours in some desert airport in Yemen in Riyan on my way to east Somalia. Thankfully this was the best Quarry book I have read so far. Crisp prose,clear strong voice of Quarry who had his nasty,witty humor while he was being ice old killer. These books are short but like The first Quarry was near perfect story for this type of novel. The mystery of who put the contract on Art Stockwell had me guessing until the end.

Mike
Jun 23, 2016 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read nine of the Quarry books. This was not one of his better books. If you were going to skip one of the books in the series this would be the one. I gave Quarry's Ex 3 stars.
Randy
Sep 20, 2011 Randy rated it it was amazing
Hard Case crime is back!. Today HCC is officially back in business. QUARRY'S EX is one of two that hit the markets today.

In his early thirties, Quarry is still up to his old tricks. Using the list he got from the Broker, he finds a hit man, follows him until he determines the target, then approaches said target offering to save his life, for a fee of course, and get rid of the hit man.

What he never expected was to run into, right in the middle of the whole mess, his ex-wife, the woman who unknow
Mike
Apr 05, 2016 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Quarry's Ex" is the tenth book by Max Allan Collins in the "Quarry" series. Quarry is a hitman working out of the Midwest in the 70's and early 80's. "Quarry's Ex" is set in Boot Heel, Nevada in 1980. So Quarry is outside of his usual stomping grounds.

Since it's right there in the title, it's not much of a spoiler to say that Quarry does, indeed, run into his ex-wife. She "done him wrong" while he was in Vietnam. And him walking in on her in bed with the mechanic from down the street set him on
Craig Childs
For a 10-book series (soon to be 11), Max Allan Collins' Quarry novels have been remarkably consistent.

True, there is a predictable formula at work in each one, but this series never feels like a by-the-numbers retread like Robert Parker's Jesse Stone novels or Donald Westlake's Alan Grofield mysteries.

How does Collins do this? First, he keeps each book short (I'm a slow reader, and I can finish a Quarry adventure in less time than it takes to smoke two cigars). Second, he divided Quarry's life
Gloria Feit
Feb 13, 2012 Gloria Feit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Max Allan Collins writes noir crime novels which read very much like Mickey Spillane, with whom he was a close friend and collaborator [and completed some started by the late author]. This novel is no exception, and is full of sex, violence and hard-boiled prose. It is a prequel to a long-running series about a hit man who has turned the tables on other assassins by developing a new business: collecting his fees from intended victims by eliminating killers and those who hired them.

This novel tak
Josh
In 'Quarry's Ex', Max Allan Collins delves deep into the surface tension between the hitman's hitman and his former wife Joni. Well established is their bloody history, with the former flame credited with paving Quarry's bullet riddled, body bagged road, for it's her deception that leads him to the Broker and a life built on ending others.

In this latest installment, a prequel, Quarry enters the movie business having tracked a former hitman hired to knock off a b-grade director. From there he sw
Chris
Jan 07, 2012 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, crime, 2012
Quarry's Ex takes place in the 1980's and directly references previously established continuity by brining the guy's former wife into the fold while he investigates a film director on whom a hit has been taken.

I really enjoyed the movie-making setting of Quarry's Ex as a change, but I missed some of the bleaker Midwestern settings from the previous books. In all honesty, Quarry's Ex is probably the least of the newer Quarry novels. Aspects of the book including the coincidental nature of Quarry
Steve
Jun 18, 2016 Steve rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Breezy but light episode in Quarry's story. He's a former hitman who found a list of a boss's other hitmen and uses that list to help out the potential victims. In this case, the potential victim is a movie producer on a shoot in Nevada. It turns out the girlfriend of the producer is Quarry's ex, who he was married to briefly some years before. The story moves quickly, with for me only the first section remaining memorable. Still, I picked up another novel in the series at a used book store.
Matthew Lipson
Mar 14, 2016 Matthew Lipson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hard-case-crime
I very much enjoy reading Max Allan Collins, and after having read Quarry's First, this was a good book to follow up with. While this book follows the formula of most Quarry novels, it becomes much more personal when his ex, who helped put him on the career of hit man/assassin, shows up as part of his next job. Learning more about the way the main character works and seeing some of his vulnerabilities makes this book much more than your usual hit man story.
Matt
Dec 07, 2014 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent addition to the series. I liked this one as it starred his ex and this provides an opportunity to delve a little more into what made Quarry who is today and helped explain a little about his personality. I did think there were times where Quarry seemed almost evil in his actions, but hey, he's hit man. ;-)

Another good read for the average person but a MUST for the Quarry fan!
Ed
Aug 08, 2012 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
#10 in the Quarry series. If you've followed the Quarry series, you've heard about his cheating wife on many occasions - but this episode of the saga puts a new twist on things. Lawrence Block has John Keller; Loren D. Estleman has Peter Macklin; and, Max allan Collins has Quarry. It seems odd to have a professional hit man as the protagonist of a series but it happens and sometimes it happens very well.

Quarry series - Even the enigmatic hit man called Quarry had to start somewhere. And for him
Craig Hansen
Jul 14, 2012 Craig Hansen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The literary revival of Max Collins' Quarry has been a welcome development, but the most recent installment, Quarry's Ex, is perhaps the most enjoyable read since the series was revived with the publication of The Last Quarry.

For decades, readers have heard of Quarry's first love only in the context of how her betrayal of him upon his return from Vietnam shaped his character. Quarry's Ex remedies this by an extended appearance from the woman who broke Quarry's heart, fleshing her out in at least
Glen
Apr 03, 2014 Glen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hitman of hitmen, Quarry is in a casino town, where a B-movie is being shot, in order to save the life of the movie's director. He's got to deal with bikers, the mob, and his ex-wife...

Great stuff from MAC.
Alan Spencer
I love the Quarry series. Good writing, solid character, fun plots. Quarry's Ex is probably my least favorite I've read so far. Collins spent way too much time explaining Quarry's ex wife history at the beginning, and there wasn't as much of that hard-nosed, main character in danger moments. But still, I read it quick, and I enjoyed it...just not the best of the series. Still glad I purchased it.
J.D.
Oct 25, 2014 J.D. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
This was a quick, fun, sleazy read :) It wasn't the best written book but certainly fit the cover. I bought the first in the series and will try it.
James Frazier
Mildly entertaining dime novel. Amusing but void of artistry or soul. Book curiously ignores its own premise at times.
Vikas Datta
Mar 20, 2016 Vikas Datta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very rivetting... exquisitely crafted though sanguinary in action...
Lee Butterfield
Moderately good airplane fodder.
Robert
Nov 06, 2015 Robert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, albeit a little short
Patrick Hayes
Apr 29, 2013 Patrick Hayes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book from the early life of hitman Quarry, focusing on the return of his wife and his involvement with a low budget film crew and someone who's out to kill the director.

The mystery became a case of "there's no one left, so it be this individual", but I enjoyed this for the characters and their dialogue. The coolness drips off this book quicker than pool water off a brunette.

Max Allan Collins is amazing and any new venture into the Quarry stories is eagerly awaited by me!
Andrew Kunka
I don't know why I keep reading these Quarry novels, but I do. Quarry is a fairly interesting character, and the concept of a hit man who targets hit men is a good hook. However, the books are predictable, and Quarry relies on both coincidence and extreme generalizations in order to solace these mysteries. The conclusion to this book, in particular, doesn't make much sense if examined closely. It's a quick read, though.
Robert James
Aug 23, 2014 Robert James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Better the second time around. Didn't mean to read it a second time. Thought it was the latest Quarry book. Figured it out about 50 pages in that I had read this before. Decided to finish it out and glad I did. Mr. Collins has a terrific character in Quarry. I think I like him better than Nathan Heller. Maybe I will go find the earlier Quarry books and read them again.
Clint
Jul 02, 2012 Clint rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction
Quarry kills with little hesitation, just might off you if the price was right, takes shit from no one, and spits words as dangerous as his bullets. Whether because of or despite these facts, you still can't help but cheer him on. Just as Quarry always hits his mark, Max Allan Collins always delivers. Quarry's Ex is one helluva ride.
James Hein
May 08, 2013 James Hein rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the last book (as far as I can tell) in the Quarry series and I'm sad about that. I read this in a single sitting, it's not a long book but it is as good as any of the earlier ones and I love the no nonsense style that Max Allan Collins writes in.
  • The Consummata (Hard Case Crime #103)
  • Honey in his Mouth (Hard Case Crime, #60)
  • The Peddler (Hard Case Crime #27)
  • Nobody's Angel (Hard Case Crime, #65)
  • Murder is My Business (Hard Case Crime #66)
  • The Murderer Vine (Hard Case Crime #43)
  • Choke Hold
  • Casino Moon (Hard Case Crime #55)
  • The Max (Max & Angela, #3)
  • Baby Moll
  • Dutch Uncle (Hard Case Crime #12)
  • Fake I.D.
  • Straight Cut (Hard Case Crime #21)
  • The Guns of Heaven (Hard Case Crime #24)
  • The Corpse Wore Pasties (Hard Case Crime, #62)
  • Branded Woman (Hard Case Crime #11)
  • The Vengeful Virgin (Hard Case Crime #30)
  • Shooting Star/Spiderweb (Hard Case Crime #42)
12014
Received the Shamus Award, "The Eye" (Lifetime achievment award) in 2006.

He has also published under the name Patrick Culhane. He and his wife, Barbara Collins, have written several books together. Some of them are published under the name Barbara Allan.

Book Awards
Shamus Awards Best Novel winner (1984) : True Detective
Shamus Awards Best Novel winner (1992) : Stolen Away
Shamus Awards Best Novel nom
More about Max Allan Collins...

Quarry (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Quarry (Quarry, #1)
  • Quarry's List (Quarry, #2)
  • Quarry's Deal (Quarry, #3)
  • Quarry's Cut (Quarry, #4)
  • Primary Target (Quarry #5)
  • Quarry's Greatest Hits (Quarry)
  • The Last Quarry (Quarry #7)
  • The First Quarry (Quarry #8)
  • Quarry in the Middle (Quarry #9)
  • The Wrong Quarry (Quarry #11)