Start by marking “Star Trek Deep Space Nine #9: Proud Helios” as Want to Read:
Star Trek Deep Space Nine #9: Proud Helios

Star Trek Deep Space Nine #9: Proud Helios (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine #9)

3.13 of 5 stars 3.13  ·  rating details  ·  148 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The free flow of traffic to the Gamma Quadrant is vital to the recovery and survival of the planet Bajor and to Federation interests as well. When a mysterious cloaked ship begins raiding wormhole shipping, cleaning out holds and killing entire crews, Commander Benjamin Sisko of "Deep Space Nine(TM)" acts at once to stop the menace. Commander Sisko has unexpected aid: the ...more
Published September 22nd 2000 by Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing Group (first published February 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Star Trek Deep Space Nine #9, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Trek Deep Space Nine #9

David Sarkies
This is another Deep Space 9 books that I think I have read. I am not sure why I am really going through all of these books when I am not really all that sure whether I have read them. The year was around 1995, which means that this would have been the year that I was finishing off year 12 and getting ready to start university. I knew that I have read a few of them, but personally can't remember exactly which ones that that I have actually read. I have simply looked at a list of the books and n ...more
Tracey, librarian on strike
A guilty pleasure (ish) – by which I mean guilty(ish) and pleasure(ish).

I was going to use a reference to Princess Bride in my title – “Captured by pirates is good” … except right now that would be the most idiotic thing I could say. Especially since the actual quote is “Murdered”.

Proud Helios. It was there, I was there, I was uncommitted and noncommittal for my next book. I thought, a little Star Trek by a writer I know to be solid can’t be bad, right? After all, two of my favorite writers –
Unlike some other DS9 books that come from this same time, this one doesn't suffer as badly from poor characterization. Scott seems to have a pretty decent grasp of who the characters are up to this point in the show (the book was published in 1995, and the jarring and one-time-only namedrop of the *Defiant* indicates it could have been published in early 1995 since "The Search," in which we get the *Defiant* aired in late September 1994, so by then the characters were somewhat well-formed, alth ...more
Tomislav
Sometimes I wonder how I ever got hooked on this series of ST:DS9 books. I've read some real bombs, but they do occasionally rise to mediocrity like this one. Either way, they universally consist of predefined characters being marched through simplistic adventures. Pirates. Sheesh. Makes for entertainment if you don't think too hard, but it's just not plausible. And like in a TV series, the whole set-up always returns to initial conditions by the end.
Steve
2.5 stars. It was okay, if a little predictable in parts, and it's obvious it was written during the first season or early second season -- the characters don't behave like the roles they grew into, and there are a few glaring technical issues -- Bajor has 26 hour days, for instance, and I doubt the Klingon would be using carbon fibre in the 24th century. Even keeping all of that in mind, I was willing to give this 3 stars, but then the climax and resolution were not really keeping with the tone ...more
Dianah
Ah! Space Pirates! In this mostly entertaining tale, a pirate ship is attacking ships in Cardassia space very close to the Bajoran border. They, of course, cross the border. On the plus side of the book, space pirates are cool. The characterizations of the primary characters are good including a fun scene with Garak and Bashir at Quark's. On the downside, I got a wee bit tired of the story by the time the crew had direct contact with the pirates.
Joy
Deep Space 9 finds itself between the Cardassians and a ruthless pirate ship - possibly a handy excuse for Gul Dukat to shatter the Federation presence in Bajoran space. The issue in PROUD HELIOS is hostages. How many hostages, held by whom, will it take to make Commander Sisko give way? We meet some interesting crew on Helios, and find Sisko giving an interesting direction to some of Odo's anti-crime campaigns.
Angela
There's a pirate ship attacking ships near Bajor and DS9 have to stop it. Or at least avoid war with Cardassia over it. A straight forward story, with all the characters acting like you would expect. It would make a decent tv episode.
Denise
Space pirates! One of my favourites from the series so far.
David Shane
Hey, I read a fiction book. Be proud!
Jpp
Jpp marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Tonks
Tonks is currently reading it
Oct 24, 2014
Julie Kline
Julie Kline marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Gaia
Gaia marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Petr
Petr added it
Sep 07, 2014
Joshua Lemke
Joshua Lemke marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Brian Frauenknecht
Brian Frauenknecht marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Rick
Rick marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Lucy Kemnitzer
Lucy Kemnitzer marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
  • Warchild
  • Antimatter
  • Betrayal
  • Bloodletter
  • The Big Game
  • Station Rage (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #13)
  • Devil in the Sky (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #11)
  • The Long Night (Star Trek Deep Space Nine, No 14)
  • Valhalla
  • Fallen Heroes
  • The Laertian Gamble
  • The Tempest (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #19)
  • Objective: Bajor (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #15)
  • Wrath of the Prophets (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #20)
  • Saratoga
  • Trial by Error (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #21)
  • The Heart of the Warrior (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #17)
  • Emissary
Scott studied history at Harvard College and Brandeis University, and earned her PhD. in comparative history. She published her first novel in 1984, and has since written some two dozen science fiction and fantasy works, including three co-authored with her partner, Lisa A. Barnett.

Scott's work is known for the elaborate and well-constructed settings. While many of her protagonists are gay, lesbia
More about Melissa Scott...
Trouble and Her Friends Point of Hopes (Astreiant, #1) Dreamships Point of Dreams (Astreiant, #2) The Garden (Star Trek Voyager, #11)