Start by marking “Star Trek Deep Space Nine #9: Proud Helios” as Want to Read:
Star Trek Deep Space Nine #9: Proud Helios

Star Trek Deep Space Nine #9: Proud Helios (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine #9)

3.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  176 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
The free flow of traffic to the Gamma Quadrant is vital to the recovery and survival of the planet Bajor and to Federation interests as well. When a mysterious cloaked ship begins raiding wormhole shipping, cleaning out holds and killing entire crews, Commander Benjamin Sisko of "Deep Space Nine(TM)" acts at once to stop the menace. Commander Sisko has unexpected aid: the ...more
Published September 22nd 2000 by Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing Group (first published February 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Star Trek Deep Space Nine #9, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Trek Deep Space Nine #9

Randy Mcdonald
As I mentioned before , starting in the late 1980s and continuing into the mid-1990s, I bought Star Trek tie-in novels consistently. I bought only the tie-in novels of shows actively running. I stopped buying Star Trek: The Next Generation novels at #37 or so , while with Deep Space Nine I never got past #10 . Proud Helios , #9, may in fact have been the last one that I bought. It was not a bad place to stop: high points rarely are.

Melissa Scott 's Star Trek novel, as noted on its Wikipe
Daniel Devereux
I feel like this was very quick. I also think the plot lines could have been more buried to be honest. Most of the characters were very flat, with only a few of DS9's crew being in character or believable. The chase scenes could have been more suspenseful. All in all I enjoyed Proud Helios for what it truly is: A quick read that was as nutritious as a bag of chips.

" 'Can I help with anything?' Bashir asked, and took his place in the copilot's chair without waiting for an invitation. Yes, but ke
Tobias
Jul 12, 2015 Tobias rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Melissa Scott – Der Pirat
Die Science Fiction Geschichte " Der Pirat" von Melissa Scott handelt von einem Piraten, der in der Nähe der Raumstation DS9 Frachtschiffe angreift und vernichtet. Bisher waren nur cardassianische Frachtschiffe betroffen. Doch dann wird ein Frachtschiff der Xave angegriffen. Major Kira und Dr. Bashir machen sich in einem Flitzer auf dem Weg zu einem Rendezvous mit dem Frachtschiff. Aber leider kommen sie zu spät. Als sie bei den Koordinaten ankommen ist das Schiff vollst
David Sarkies
Apr 28, 2015 David Sarkies rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Star Trek fans
Recommended to David by: My friend Daniel
Shelves: sci-fi
Another of the many Deep Space 9 novels
14 April 2012

This is another Deep Space 9 books that I think I have read. I am not sure why I am going through all of these books when I am not all that sure whether I have read them. The year was around 1995, which means that this would have been the year that I was finishing off year 12 and getting ready to start university. I knew that I have read a few of the Deep Space Nine books, but I personally can't remember exactly which ones that that I have act
Tracey
Sep 03, 2009 Tracey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
A guilty pleasure (ish) – by which I mean guilty(ish) and pleasure(ish).

I was going to use a reference to Princess Bride in my title – “Captured by pirates is good” … except right now that would be the most idiotic thing I could say. Especially since the actual quote is “Murdered”.

Proud Helios. It was there, I was there, I was uncommitted and noncommittal for my next book. I thought, a little Star Trek by a writer I know to be solid can’t be bad, right? After all, two of my favorite writers –
Aug 31, 2013 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sold-back-to-hpb
Unlike some other DS9 books that come from this same time, this one doesn't suffer as badly from poor characterization. Scott seems to have a pretty decent grasp of who the characters are up to this point in the show (the book was published in 1995, and the jarring and one-time-only namedrop of the *Defiant* indicates it could have been published in early 1995 since "The Search," in which we get the *Defiant* aired in late September 1994, so by then the characters were somewhat well-formed, alth ...more
Steve
2.5 stars. It was okay, if a little predictable in parts, and it's obvious it was written during the first season or early second season -- the characters don't behave like the roles they grew into, and there are a few glaring technical issues -- Bajor has 26 hour days, for instance, and I doubt the Klingon would be using carbon fibre in the 24th century. Even keeping all of that in mind, I was willing to give this 3 stars, but then the climax and resolution were not really keeping with the tone ...more
Tomislav
Sometimes I wonder how I ever got hooked on this series of ST:DS9 books. I've read some real bombs, but they do occasionally rise to mediocrity like this one. Either way, they universally consist of predefined characters being marched through simplistic adventures. Pirates. Sheesh. Makes for entertainment if you don't think too hard, but it's just not plausible. And like in a TV series, the whole set-up always returns to initial conditions by the end.
Dianah
Jul 14, 2010 Dianah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek, 100-books
Ah! Space Pirates! In this mostly entertaining tale, a pirate ship is attacking ships in Cardassia space very close to the Bajoran border. They, of course, cross the border. On the plus side of the book, space pirates are cool. The characterizations of the primary characters are good including a fun scene with Garak and Bashir at Quark's. On the downside, I got a wee bit tired of the story by the time the crew had direct contact with the pirates.
Aaron M
Jan 02, 2015 Aaron M rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek-ds9
One of the better books in the series so far. It kept by interest all the way through.
Joy
Jan 15, 2013 Joy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deep Space 9 finds itself between the Cardassians and a ruthless pirate ship - possibly a handy excuse for Gul Dukat to shatter the Federation presence in Bajoran space. The issue in PROUD HELIOS is hostages. How many hostages, held by whom, will it take to make Commander Sisko give way? We meet some interesting crew on Helios, and find Sisko giving an interesting direction to some of Odo's anti-crime campaigns.
Angela
May 05, 2012 Angela rated it liked it
There's a pirate ship attacking ships near Bajor and DS9 have to stop it. Or at least avoid war with Cardassia over it. A straight forward story, with all the characters acting like you would expect. It would make a decent tv episode.
Denise
Aug 23, 2013 Denise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
Space pirates! One of my favourites from the series so far.
David Shane
Jan 19, 2012 David Shane rated it liked it
Hey, I read a fiction book. Be proud!
Nathaniel Wolfolk
Nathaniel Wolfolk marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Steven
Steven rated it it was ok
Apr 13, 2016
P K Morris
P K Morris marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Alex
Alex added it
Mar 30, 2016
Derek Elliott
Derek Elliott marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
Ashanta L
Ashanta L rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2016
Robert Kellar
Robert Kellar rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2016
Chandi
Chandi rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2016
Jeremy
Jeremy marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2016
Adam Smith
Adam Smith marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Garrett Shepard
Garrett Shepard marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
The Book Hermit
The Book Hermit marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
Stefan
Stefan marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
  • Antimatter
  • Bloodletter
  • Betrayal
  • The Big Game
  • Station Rage (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #13)
  • Devil in the Sky (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #11)
  • The Long Night (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #4)
  • The Laertian Gamble
  • Valhalla
  • The Tempest (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #19)
  • Objective: Bajor (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #15)
  • Wrath of the Prophets (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #20)
  • Fallen Heroes
  • The Heart of the Warrior (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #17)
  • Saratoga
  • Emissary
  • Trial by Error (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #21)
Scott studied history at Harvard College and Brandeis University, and earned her PhD. in comparative history. She published her first novel in 1984, and has since written some two dozen science fiction and fantasy works, including three co-authored with her partner, Lisa A. Barnett.

Scott's work is known for the elaborate and well-constructed settings. While many of her protagonists are gay, lesbia
More about Melissa Scott...

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Emissary
  • Betrayal
  • Warchild
  • Antimatter
  • Valhalla
  • Devil in the Sky (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #11)