Start by marking “How Could You Do That?!: The Abdication of Character, Courage, and Conscience” as Want to Read:
How Could You Do That?!: The Abdication of Character, Courage, and Conscience

How Could You Do That?!: The Abdication of Character, Courage, and Conscience

3.57  ·  Rating Details  ·  304 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
How Could You Do That?! illustrates Dr. Laura Schlessinger's philosophy of personal responsibility through her usually provocative but always stimulating moral dialogues with callers about everyday ethical dilemmas.

In her lively pull-no-punches style, Dr. Laura takes on the moral dilemmas of our time: from the mindless pursuit of pleasure and immediate gratification to tak
Paperback
Published August 30th 2005 by Harper Perennial (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about How Could You Do That?!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Could You Do That?!

Cathie
Dec 20, 2012 Cathie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those with an open mind
Recommended to Cathie by: a friend
Ok, before you shoot me, or at least put me down for reading this book, read the book. Although I do not like the history of the author, this book, written some time ago, has meaning and merit, especially in our "me, me, me", world of today. Happiness is not based on anything that is instant gratification (but troubles and problems are, either ours or others).It's message is to accept responsibility for our actions, throw away our justifications for our own bad behavior and don't impose on other ...more
Reese
Jan 14, 2010 Reese rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The "listopia" home houses my "cheat sheets." Without the list of "Books I Have No Intention of Reading," I might never have recalled reading a couple of Laura Schlessinger's books. More evidence of my loss of cognitive function or more evidence of the power of embarrassment? Both? Apparently, I'm now ready to admit that,once upon a time, I considered Schlessinger's writing fairly interesting and her advice harmless. If the signs of stage-four self-righteousness were present in the mid-to-late n ...more
Colleen
May 10, 2010 Colleen rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Picked it up with a stack of other used books and they have been sitting on the side of my bed for almost a year now...time to at least check them out.

I find Dr. Laura's show funny - and appreciate someone who encourages moral living. She challenges the phrase "I'm just human" - used as the ultimate excuse for bad choices. Her premise - as far as I've read in the first chapter - is that to be human is to rise above the base, instinctual, animal reactions that govern the rest of the animal kingd
Sandy
Feb 27, 2014 Sandy rated it liked it
Main thing I got out of it was to beware of: it feels good, do it. Do the right thing and if you have not, take responsibility for the consequences. A lot of: should I stay with the person or not, and what about the kids examples. But still sound advice for everyone.
Jaclyn
Jan 06, 2012 Jaclyn rated it really liked it
I very much enjoyed this book! Yes, it dealt most with decisions that do not apply to me (children out of wedlock, living-in, bad relationships, etc). But it got me thinking about my own character, courage, and conscience. I found it empowering, a great support in looking at one's life and finding the courage and strength to stand for values in the face of an increasingly secularized society. It seems that good people who are trying their best to make good choices are increasingly cowering in th ...more
Michelle Mangen
Jun 09, 2015 Michelle Mangen rated it did not like it
This entire book was pretty much just repeating the entire thing over and over. While the intent was good, it was really an overkill.
JP
May 18, 2013 JP rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's encouraging to see a shift in the perspective of pop psychology away from the anything-goes remnant of the 60's and toward personal integrity and right action. The focus of her "therapy" is on the "abdication of character, courage, and conscience." In all matters regarding children, Laura makes people focus on what would be best for a child or what example they want to role-model for their children. People should stay together for the children. Adulterers are losers. One should not do that ...more
Brooke
Apr 13, 2015 Brooke rated it liked it
The author makes really good points, however she humble brags throughout the book.
Valerie
Dr. Laura cuts through the psycho-babble excuses and rationalizing and tells it like it is as usual. Great insight into self-esteem, and what REALLY makes a person have value.
Amanda
Aug 29, 2008 Amanda rated it liked it
Recommends it for: all adults
Recommended to Amanda by: my dad
Without a doubt, THE best book on self-esteem I have ever read (and I've read several). It talks about how you have to have some sort of honor system in order to feel good about yourself. It really nails people who try to find excuses for everything that they do. And it really teaches you how to have good self-esteem. Laura Schlessinger is fantastic. This book is a must for everyone.
Lili
May 28, 2008 Lili rated it it was ok
I've only heard her show a couple of times, but this book is pretty much just like it--one call after another with a little narrative in between, but maybe without as much nastiness.

I appreciate the emphasis on protecting and caring for children and living an honorable life, not focusing on immediate gratification. But the book could have been a lot shorter. Highly repetitive.
Francine Abel
All about what's right and wrong... Not a bad book!
Carol Schultz
Jan 16, 2011 Carol Schultz rated it really liked it
I know Dr. Laura really blew it lateley but this is a really good book that cuts through all the excuses and rationalizing we and others use to justify bad behavior. She encourages us to a higher level of honor, integrity, and self-discipline in our daily living while helping us to recognize the b.s.
Patricia DeVerna
Jun 01, 2008 Patricia DeVerna rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those who want to minimize the grey.

Nothing much new if you've always done the right thing with advice that treats values as absolute rather than relative. Simple as that. But towards the end it helped transform fuzzy feelings into sensible principles by articulating clearly what goes on in some lives. A call back to good character.
Lyndzi28
Jan 16, 2010 Lyndzi28 rated it liked it
I'll be honest. I don't like Dr. Laura. Never have. BUT this book was interesting in that reading about other people's problems and then the lengths they go to, to pass the blame or not help themselves is rather entertaining. I liked reading this book for the same reason people watch talk shows, lol.
Kathryn
Mar 06, 2008 Kathryn rated it it was ok
Recommended to Kathryn by: Dr. Laura of course
I love Dr. Laura's values. But I do not like her attitude! I disagree that people should wait until their 30's to get married, be engaged for a year, and so on. I also disagree with the fact that you shouldn't listen to your feelings - the spirit is our guide and we FEEL it!!
Debi
Apr 07, 2010 Debi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some people mess up and turn themselves around and make things right. Some people have no remorse and don't even get that they need to make things right. This book is hard-hitting, but much needed in this society of selfishness, irresponsibility, and "tolerance".
Naomi
Jun 10, 2010 Naomi rated it it was ok
Typical Laura Schlessinger! I read this book during a time in my life when I was in a "I am wife here me roar" period. Now reflecting on the book, it drove me nuts..
Gina
Dr. Laura points out 10 flaws that go against good character, conscience, and character. Again, she pulls out all the stops and tells it like it is. I love it!
Heather Knight
Dec 24, 2008 Heather Knight rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
After reading this book, I desired to be more steadfast, courageous and calculated in my decisions. I desired to take the long road.
Helen
Nov 06, 2012 Helen added it
Didn't enjoy this at all, really takes the moral high ground, preaching with religious undertones, a self unhelpful book
Dan
May 09, 2010 Dan rated it liked it
Pretty good, I read this book directly out of high school. I don't agree with everything she says though.
Lincoln
She's a ball buster, good practical suck it up and be responsible advice/slams.
Jeanette
May 15, 2008 Jeanette marked it as to-read
picked it up for $1. i know, i know. but i do lover her. lol
Christy
Apr 11, 2012 Christy added it
Shelves: 2012, self-help
Meh. It got slightly better but not one of her best.
Breanna
Jan 01, 2010 Breanna is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Great dose of common sense, I like her alot!
Mukesh Kumar Tak
Mukesh Kumar Tak rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2016
Laura John
Laura John marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Terry Shapiro
Terry Shapiro rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2016
  • The Dance of Deception: A Guide to Authenticity and Truth-Telling in Women's Relationships
  • Hiding from Love: How to Change the Withdrawal Patterns That Isolate and Imprison You
  • See, I Told You So