Start by marking “The Parrot's Lament, and Other True Tales of Animal Intrigue, Intelligence, and Ingenuity” as Want to Read:

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  276 ratings  ·  42 reviews
A gorilla shrewdly sells back a missing key chain to the highest bidder. An orangutan picks a lock to let himself out of his zoo enclosure and two elephants adopt a tag-team strategy to keep their handlers from putting them back into theirs. In The Parrot's Lament, noted environmentalist Eugene Linden offers more than one hundred true anecdotes about animal acts of coopera ...more
Published August 1st 2000 by Plume (first published 1999)

Be the first to ask a question about The Parrot's Lament, and Other True Tales of Animal Intrigue, Intelligence, and Ingenuity

The Emotional Lives of Animals by Marc BekoffA Window on Eternity by Edward O. WilsonWhere the Wild Things Were by William StolzenburgThe Private Life of Plants by David AttenboroughA Primate's Memoir by Robert M. Sapolsky
9th Grade Bio Book List
36th out of 42 books — 1 voter
A Primate's Memoir by Robert M. SapolskyClever As a Fox  by Sonja YoergWild Minds by Marc HauserThe Horse's Mind by Lucy ReesBird Brains by Candace Savage
Animal Intelligence and Cognition
7th out of 26 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Cheryl
Reasonably scientific - doesn't pretend to be more than it is - but is much more than cute pet stories. If you're not convinced by this that animal intelligence needs to be investigated with a fresh eye and a new perspective, you probably think the moon landing was faked. ;)

Short, funny, with only a few easy paragraphs at the end of a real treatise about what intelligence really means in different species, and the implications for the progression of civilization and for the health of the biosphe
Nicole
Linden relates anecdotal evidence that animals, when faced with actual situations, can be as conniving and as thoughtful in solving problems as a young child. These are observations taken from people who work professionally with animals so are familiar with typical behaviors. In relating these stories as evidence of animal cognition there is a high degree of reliable observation that is not anthropomorphizing. Later Linden follows up with supporting experimental results but these are simple cont ...more
Tippy Jackson
This is one of my all time favorite books, especially books about animals. Eugene Linden does a fantastic job of sharing wonderful, fascinating and mind boggling stories about animals. Some of the things described could be purely coincidental and others are so exact I don't see how they could. A lot of purely anecdotal observations, but so what? They are still observations and important to record and completely intriguing. The author states that this is what he's doing. He doesn't consider this ...more
Peacegal
Parrot is a smart and fun read that animal lovers will enjoy. The author skillfully weaves scientific fact with serious moral questions and full-out humor. (I dare you not to laugh out loud when you read about Chantek the orangutan’s first encounter with a tiger.) While most of the animals Linden writes about are in captivity, he is also not afraid to discuss the both positives and negatives of keeping wild animals in human-controlled environments.

Perhaps Linden is less aware when he highlights
Speedtribes
I got hold of this book mainly for the intriguing cover of a cheetah nonchalantly sitting on a rowboat as a man ferries her and her cub across a body of water. I really wanted the hear the story of that image.

This book is chock full of so many anecdotes and stories about animals, their intelligence and their ability to reason about their surroundings. I was a little disappointed, however, to discover that the author mainly covered about Chimpanzees and parrots. (But mostly the chimps.) I had hop
Stacey
I'm really glad I read this book. I enjoyed Eugene Linden's "The Octopus and the Orangutang" because it was very educational and a little humorous as well.

For one, this book gave me more insight as to how captive animals (mostly zoo animals) may be feeling about their surroundings. I like the humorous stories and examples that accompany Linden's research/findings. It is very insightful too. I think his books are a good premise for me before I get into my Biology degree.
I really like that the a
Trina
It's a bit dry since it is written by a scientist (an environmentalist) who can't discount hundreds of true stories about animal intelligence and emotions. I enjoyed some of the tales he shares despite his constant disclaimer that it amounts to nothing more than anecdotal evidence. I think it's pretty obvious to anyone that animals do feel and are smart!
Lauren
Unscientific. Definitely reads in emotion that is not present. It probably would have been ranked higher with me, except that several people in this book have relationships with animals that make me uncomfortable - interacting freely with large cats, dealing with orcas, etc.
Brittany
This was a fascinating (and self-described unscientific) look at the intelligence of animals. More than anything it is a collection of anecdotes of extraordinary animal behavior and musings upon their possible explanations. It's exceeding entertaining; the type of book that compels you to read bits of it aloud to anyone who's sitting near you at the time.

It includes some fascinating stories of great ape and parrot behavior, as well as other stories of animals in zoos and captivity. It will ench
Elizabeth
I have read a lot of books about emotions in animals and they are all very interesting. This book was by no means a bad book. It was interesting but not the most well-written. it was just a collection of anecdotes. There was an attempt at organization but it wasn't as well organized as it could be. Often you could forget what the chapter was about because the author would go on tangents that had little to do with what the chapter was really supposed to be about.
Vivian
Great book which gives insights into the world of animals and how they interact with their surroundings, other animals, and people. Every action has a reaction and this book details the activities of animals, humsns, and environmental happenings along with the psychological elements.

This is worth reading for anyone who likes animals, is interested in psychology and psychiatry, as well as pet owners and trainers. The scientists may enjoy reading this too.
Marissa
Dec 05, 2007 Marissa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: non-fiction
This was Eugene Linden's first book on animal Intelligence. Since I read it out of order some stories seemed liek rehashing of previous topics. Still an excellent attempt to reopen the definitions of intelligence. Who says we are the most intelligent beings on earth?- we do? Does that mean there aren't other kinds of intelligence that we can't understand, yet? Of course... Excellent stories to illustrate his arguements- highly recommended!
Kendra
I liked this book because I am interested in animal communication and behavior. It had some interesting stories that anyone would enjoy, but be forewarned it does read a little bit like a textbook. It took me a while to finish it even though it's not a very long book. I enjoyed it, but it's definitely not for everyone, only someone very interested in the subject or wanting to learn more about the subject.
Sharon
Wow. I have rarely read a book on this subject in which I agreed so wholeheartedly with the authors opinion on animal intelligence. Yes, most of his evidence is anecdotal, but only because not enough real research has been done on the topic. I do wish he'd included more stories, though- he seemed to repeat a lot of them through different lenses. Still, I hope to find more of Linden's books.
Barb
This book reaffirmed my belief that we must treat animals as sentient beings, not just possessions for our entertainment or enrichment.

Please read this, then afford all the creatures you meet with the dignity and respect they deserve.
Amy
Sooo interesting. The author says it's impossible to really know what's going on with somebody (someanimal) else, so arguing over what's intelligent and what's not is very difficult. So... let's just tell all these great true stories and see what impressions we're left with.
Christine
Jun 02, 2007 Christine added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: animal lovers
The author of this book is a serious reporter who has compiled the stories he heard and experienced over the years about animal behavior that shows intelligence, wit and other attributes that the scientific community is reluctant to grant. Great material.
Diana
Interesting! And funny! True animal stories. I received this as a gift from my sister, and enjoyed it thoroughly. Made my husband read the intro for the story of the cover photograph. He loved it.
Ariana
I liked the sequel, the Octopus and the Orangutan, more. I still really want to visit Camp Leakey in Borneo to hang out with the orangutans. Some day. . . Great, funny stories of animal intelligence.
Beka
Some very interesting anecdotes on animal cunning and intelligence. Unfortunately, to get to those anecdotes, you also have to wade through a fair amount of erroneous conclusion based on evolution.
Nancy
The author took what was probably better published as an article and stretched it into a book. He had an interesting way of writing, but I got tired of reading about great ape escapes and antics.
Miranda
This book is a joyful read about animals and their lives. Anecdotes will make you smile, laugh and occasionally wonder about how much we don't know about the lives of non-human animals.
Anna
Jul 19, 2008 Anna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: nonfic
The author has pulled together a great collection of accounts from zoologists and animal behaviorists, that raise questions of self awareness and the nature of intelligence.
Ari
Mostly told through a massive collection of anecdotes, this book held a lot of fun stories and thought-invoking questions about the undefinable intelligence of animals.
Adriane
Talks about animal behavior without idealizing or being anthropomorphic. A curious, and charming book that will make you re-evaluate the way you look at animals.
Lori
This is a very enjoyable and interesting book about the cognitive abilities of animals; their motivations and their feelings. Loved it!
Jenel
Love the stories relating animal behavior. The juxtaposition between the behavior of animals in captivity vs. the wild is compelling.
Jason Landau
wonderful wonderful book for you animal lovers out there. True accounts of observations on animals. non-fiction.
Andrew
Nov 27, 2007 Andrew rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: animal lovers
Extremely entertaining stories of animal intelligence. If you think animals are neat, read this book.
Missy
Well written, entertaining and thought provoking... What makes us human and what is consciousness.
  • The Emotional Lives of Animals: A Leading Scientist Explores Animal Joy, Sorrow, and Empathy - and Why They Matter
  • The Inner World of Farm Animals: Their Amazing Intellectual, Emotional and Social Capacities
  • The Tribe of Tiger
  • The Parrot Who Owns Me: The Story of a Relationship
  • The Wisdom of Birds: An Illustrated History of Ornithology
  • The Alex Studies: Cognitive and Communicative Abilities of Grey Parrots
  • The Last Flight of the Scarlet Macaw: One Woman's Fight to Save the World's Most Beautiful Bird
  • Second Nature: The Inner Lives of Animals
  • The Dreaded Comparison: Human and Animal Slavery
  • King Solomon's Ring
  • Hope for Animals and Their World: How Endangered Species Are Being Rescued from the Brink
  • Corvus: A Life with Birds
  • Superdove: How the Pigeon Took Manhattan ... And the World
  • Bonobo: The Forgotten Ape
  • The Pig Who Sang to the Moon: The Emotional World of Farm Animals
  • Out of Harm's Way
  • In the Company of Crows and Ravens
  • Eye of the Albatross: Visions of Hope and Survival
The Octopus and the Orangutan: New Tales of Animal Intrigue, Intelligence, and Ingenuity The Ragged Edge of the World: Encounters at the Frontier Where Modernity, Wildlands, and Indigenous Peoples Meet The Winds of Change: Climate, Weather, and the Destruction of Civilizations The Education of Koko Apes, men, and language

“The keepers would give the gorillas an assortment of fruits and vegetables each afternoon, and on this particular occasion, Judy Sievert tossed Nina an apple, which rolled away. Instead of going to get it, Nina just 'sat there sadly,' in Judy's words. Judy continued her rounds, handing out yams and apples to the other gorillas, but Nina sat there looking appleless and downtrodden. Taking pity, Judy tossed her another apple. As soon as Nina had it, she got up and went over to where the first apple had rolled away, taking it too.” 3 likes