Start by marking “The Three Little Aliens and the Big Bad Robot” as Want to Read:
The Three Little Aliens and the Big Bad Robot

The Three Little Aliens and the Big Bad Robot

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  523 Ratings  ·  103 Reviews
GREEP BOINK MEEP! The three little aliens are happily settling into their new homes when the Big Bad Robot flies in to crack and smack and whack their houses down! A chase across the solar system follows in this out-of-this-world version of the classic Three Little Pigs tale. Margaret McNamara (How Many Seeds in a Pumpkin?) and Mark Fearing (The Book that Eats People) have ...more
Published September 27th 2011 by Schwartz & Wade

To ask other readers questions about The Three Little Aliens and the Big Bad Robot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Three Little Aliens and the Big Bad Robot

Boy + Bot by Ame DyckmanMr. Wuffles! by David WiesnerDoug Unplugged by Dan YaccarinoJune 29, 1999 by David WiesnerEarthlets by Jeanne Willis
SF Picture Books
17th out of 49 books — 21 voters
Boy + Bot by Ame DyckmanMr. Wuffles! by David WiesnerOh No! Not Again! by Mac BarnettDoug Unplugged by Dan YaccarinoOh No! by Mac Barnett
Science Fiction Picture Books for Young Readers
28th out of 112 books — 20 voters

More lists with this book...

Slee
Apr 06, 2015 Slee rated it really liked it
Pro tip- you might just want to call the third little alien "keyboard smash." Keyboard smash is my kids' favorite of the aliens in this cute little story. It is one that my youngest demands over and over, so bring a glass of water to the bedside before settling in to read it.
Feb 22, 2012 Laura rated it liked it
This was given to my 5YO as a gift, and he loves it. But I didn't like it the first couple times I read it. The Three Little Pigs is not the most engaging story to begin with, and ugly little aliens and space robots do not improve the telling -- not for a grown-up girl, anyway. I was tempted to laugh at the prank being played on me with the impossible name of "NKLXWCYZ," but it was annoying.

But it grew on me. It started when I admitted to myself I liked reading the robot noises. You wouldn't th
Kathryn Herbert
Oct 23, 2014 Kathryn Herbert rated it it was ok
The Three Little Aliens and the Big Bad Robot is a hilarious picture book written by Margaret McNamara and illustrated by Mark Fearing. Based on a parody of the Three Little Pigs, this alien version is both contemporary and silly. The three little aliens, named Bork, Gork, and Nklxwcyz, have outgrown their current home. Because of this, Mama decides to send them off together in the search for a new home. Mama cautions them to stick together in order to avoid the Big Bad Robot. The audience can s ...more
Christen Tulli
Jul 27, 2014 Christen Tulli rated it really liked it
Shelves: edsl520
Category: Science Fiction/ Fractured Fairytale (This is one of two science fiction selections that I reviewed)

Publication date: 2011

Annotation is posted above via GoodReads

Themes: Technology, Fractured Fairytale

Ways to Use Book:
* What a fun read aloud for a young audience, especially for students who may be interested in outer space! Afterwards, ask the students to create their own version of The Three Little Pigs in a completely different setting ("The Three Little Cowboys" perhaps?)

* Talk with
ratherread
Jan 05, 2014 ratherread rated it it was amazing
5 Stars (based on my grandson's response)

My 3 year old grand son loves this story based on "The 3 little Pigs and the Big Bad Wolf." He loves to imitate the sounds that the robot makes and cheers for the little aliens.
Kendra Loch
Mar 06, 2016 Kendra Loch rated it liked it
A sci-fi spin on the classic The Three Little Pigs tale. When three little aliens are getting to big and crowding their mother's house, she sends them out to find their own planet to live on, but she warns them-be careful for the Big Bad Robot and stick together! The three little aliens set out in search for their new planets. Bork decided to live on a space robot and Gork decided to live on a satellite, but Nklxwcyz decided to keep looking for a safe house. He went to a planet far out in the ga ...more
Courtney Dyer
The three little aliens- Bork, Gork, and Nklxwcyz- have outgrown their home and Mama sends them off to stick together and find a new home of their own. Failing to follow her advice, the three little aliens take us on a tour of our galaxy as each one finds refuge on one of the eight planets. Soon after they have settled into their new homes, “Greep Boink Ork Meep,” the Big Bad Robot shows up ready to crack and smack and whack their houses down.

The Three Little Aliens and the Big Bad Robot is a hu
Susan
Oct 31, 2011 Susan rated it really liked it
I liked this "modern" approach to the 3 Little Pigs...it felt more accessible to today's child to me than the original. (I also liked the re-using of all the space "junk" out there!)
Katelyn Krigbaum
The Three Little Aliens and the Big Bad Robot is a spin-off story of the classic The Three Little Pigs. The three little aliens come together to gather around their new home when the big bad robot comes to destroy it all. The big bad robot then chases them around the universe creating a fun and familiar story for children to read. The illustrations capture the readers attention and make the story much more entertaining to read. Also it is a great way for children to be introduced to the planets ...more
Roslyn Ross
Apr 05, 2015 Roslyn Ross rated it did not like it
-No idea why the giant metal robot can't smash the brick house with one blow of his fist
-As usual no connections are made between hard work and planning ahead leading to survival.
-All 3 aliens survive, the robot randomly explodes since I really don't see why the tiny brick house defeated him….
-Book has nothing to say about values, it's point is to teach kids a little bit about the planets and I don't think it even succeeds at that.
Erik This Kid Reviews Books
Feb 01, 2012 Erik This Kid Reviews Books rated it it was amazing
When Mama Alien’s house was getting a bit crowded, and her three kids were getting a bit bigger, she decides it’s time for them to move out. She warns them to watch out for the BIG BAD ROBOT and to make sure they stay together. You can only guess what happens next in this re-telling of the fairy tale “The Three Little Pigs and the Big Bad Wolf”!

I love the idea of this story because I really like The Three Little Pigs tale and I think this one is a much funnier version! I think it is really cool
Emily Peed
Feb 02, 2012 Emily Peed rated it liked it
Shelves: caldecott
The Three Little Aliens is a spinoff of The Three Little Pigs. The author, Margaret McNamara, takes a classic story and changes it for the next generation. Todays children read a lot of Sci-Fi or Fantasy books. The story was cliche. It was not original or special.

The pictures on the other hand were captivating. Since the story takes place in space the background of each picture is black but the illustrator, Mark Fearing, add depth to it. There are purple swirls to add interest to the background.
Cathy
Jul 02, 2013 Cathy rated it really liked it
Shelves: edes-546
McNamara, M. (2011) The Three Little Aliens and the Big Bad Robot. New York, NY: Schwartz and Wade Books.

Mama alien, cautioning them to stick together to avoid the Big, Bad, Robot, sends her three little aliens out in the cosmos to find a new, spacious home. Instead, the three aliens choose to build three separate homes, ultimately battling with the Big, Bad Robot with expected consequences.

I enjoyed this predictable take on the classic, Three Little Pigs; the luminous hand drawn, digital collag
Noah
Nov 30, 2015 Noah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, picture-books
This was a fun little sci-fi picture book that would be appropriate for ages 6-10. This is basically the story of the three little pigs, but it is put into a space setting with little aliens. They build their houses on their own little planets and encounter a very angry space robot. There are themes of adventure and family in this book. I give it 5 out of 5 stars for putting a creative spin on a familiar children's tale.
Cosette
Oct 31, 2014 Cosette rated it did not like it
This book is cruel. How am I supposed to read the third little pig's name? No sounding out guide to that one. I ended up calling that pig "him". My daughter doesn't know the story of the 3 little pigs well. I felt like me and the author were sharing a personal joke and I don't feel comfortable sharing a personal joke with someone that would name one of his characters for a read aloud story so poorly. Jokes on me.
Matthew
Aug 21, 2014 Matthew rated it really liked it
This is the three pigs if it went to space. I have to say that a highlight of this story is the name of the main little robot whose name is an unpronounceable collection of consonants. Whenever I read the story aloud, I just made a throat noise like I had a bad cold and that was the character's name. The story was clever and made me laugh quite a few times, though it exhausted my throat to keep making that sound.
J.
Apr 21, 2015 J. rated it really liked it
Funny! I read it from an ebook version on my phone as a bedtime story to my kids after lights out so we didn't look at the pictures but the story is great. The kids really liked anticipating what was going to happen next since they are very familiar with the original story. I only had issues with the third alien's name since I was reading aloud and had to make up a pronunciation.
Mary
Following the traditional "The Three Little Pigs" storyline, Mama sends her young ones, Bork, Gork, and Nklxwcyz, off to find their own planets when their home in a cozy crater on a tiny planet gets too crowded. Of course, she reminds them to watch out for the Big Bad Robot who wants to chew them up, always stick together, and to call her every once in a while.

Bork and Gork are impatient and rush to make their choices. Bork chooses to live on a shiny space rover while Gork jumps on a passing sat
:Donna Marie
THE THREE LITTLE ALIENS AND THE BIG BAD ROBOT is a space-age re-telling of The Three Little Pigs. The three little aliens, Bork, Gork and Nklxwcyz, take us jetting through our solar system, on their journey to set up a new home. Fun word play and vivid illustrations keep the reader entertained throughout. It's definitely an "out of this world" fable!
Deb Koehler
Apr 21, 2016 Deb Koehler rated it really liked it
This is a fun book that is a play on the story, The Three Little Pigs" with similar events but in space. I read it to a kindergarten class in my library as a twist on a traditional fairy tale and they really enjoyed it. There are many of opportunities to read with funny voices and a lot of onomatopoeia.
Paula
Three aliens set off to find a new planet for themselves but soon Bork and Gork have forgotten all of their mother's good advice and only Nklxwcyz builds a home safe enough to withstand the Big Bad Robot in this story reminiscent of "The Three Little Pigs."
Michaela
Apr 22, 2016 Michaela rated it it was amazing
Shelves: folklore
This book has great pictures that fill the page, and an interesting twist on the traditional "three little pigs" tale. It encourages imagination and creativity and would be good for students interested in space or bored with traditional folk tales.
Candice
Apr 19, 2016 Candice rated it it was amazing
This book is a funny and creative version of the three little pigs tale with aliens and a robot. The illustrations are well done and delightful. The aliens are funny-especially their names. The first graders I read it to loved it!
Vwteach02
Jun 29, 2015 Vwteach02 rated it it was amazing
I paired this book with other versions of "The Three Little Pigs" and my kids LOVED it! What a great story to compare and contrast as well as built-your-own version to compare. Definitely on my plans for next year.
Katya Vinogradova
An inventive re-imagining of the classic tale "Three little pigs", this story will have kids hooting with laughter, and also learning their planets!
Great for read-alouds and for individual reading.
Rebecca
This three little pigs adaptation is a sure-fire hit as a read-aloud. To get belly laughs usually reserved for the funniest comedians, just read the name of one of the siblings, Nklxwcyz. You'll have 'em rolling on the floor. Also great are the sound effects "GREEP BOINK MEEP!" During my story time the kids had so much fun guessing (correctly!) the various planets on which the aliens land. This book can be done so interactively. The kids loved reciting with me in a robotic voice, "Little alien! ...more
Kelli
Jul 10, 2014 Kelli rated it it was amazing
Reading this for summer reading for the children today. This story his cute and funny wording and because the children already know how this story goes it makes for a engaging read for them.
Jenny
I love clever or unique takes on traditional tales, so when I saw this twist on the Three Little Pigs I had to check it out. In this retelling, the three aliens leave their home on Mercury to find a new planet to inhabit. Each alien settles on a different planet, but of course the first two make poor choices and are nearly destroyed by the big bad robot. But fortunately, the third alien saves the day. I appreciated the similarities to the original tale and appreciated the inclusion of the entire ...more
Gary
Sep 13, 2014 Gary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytelling
Really cool re-telling of "The Three Little Pigs and the Big Bad Wolf". Used it for my storytelling session today. Introduced the kids to the different planets in the solar system!
K M
Aug 14, 2014 K M rated it liked it
Yet another take off on the Three Little Pigs. Cute, but if you are going to read it aloud to anyone, you might want to figure out how you are going to pronounce "Nklxwcyz" first.
  • The Three Little Gators
  • 123 versus ABC
  • The Three Ninja Pigs
  • The Dog Who Belonged to No One
  • Thanking the Moon: Celebrating the Mid-Autumn Moon Festival
Margaret McNamara is the Christopher Award–winning author of more than two dozen books for young readers, including the Robin Hill School series. The Fairy Bell Sisters series is inspired not only by her love of the classic sisterhood novel Little Women but by her own experiences growing up with older sisters (and a baby brother). Margaret and her family live in New York City, but they spend part ...more
More about Margaret McNamara...