The Three Little Aliens and the Big Bad Robot

The Three Little Aliens and the Big Bad Robot

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  318 ratings  ·  75 reviews
GREEP BOINK MEEP! The three little aliens are happily settling into their new homes when the Big Bad Robot flies in to crack and smack and whack their houses down! A chase across the solar system follows in this out-of-this-world version of the classic Three Little Pigs tale. Margaret McNamara (How Many Seeds in a Pumpkin?) and Mark Fearing (The Book that Eats People) have...more
Published September 27th 2011 by Schwartz & Wade

To ask other readers questions about The Three Little Aliens and the Big Bad Robot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Three Little Aliens and the Big Bad Robot

Boy and Bot by Ame DyckmanMr. Wuffles! by David WiesnerDoug Unplugged by Dan YaccarinoClink by Kelly DiPucchioOh No! by Mac Barnett
Science Fiction Picture Books
19th out of 109 books — 10 voters
The Robot King by Brian SelznickClink by Kelly DiPucchioThe Jupiter Chronicles by Leonardo RamirezBoy and Bot by Ame DyckmanRabbit and Robot by Cece Bell
Robots For Kids
25th out of 31 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

This was given to my 5YO as a gift, and he loves it. But I didn't like it the first couple times I read it. The Three Little Pigs is not the most engaging story to begin with, and ugly little aliens and space robots do not improve the telling -- not for a grown-up girl, anyway. I was tempted to laugh at the prank being played on me with the impossible name of "NKLXWCYZ," but it was annoying.

But it grew on me. It started when I admitted to myself I liked reading the robot noises. You wouldn't th...more
Christen Tulli
Category: Science Fiction/ Fractured Fairytale (This is one of two science fiction selections that I reviewed)

Publication date: 2011

Annotation is posted above via GoodReads

Themes: Technology, Fractured Fairytale

Ways to Use Book:
* What a fun read aloud for a young audience, especially for students who may be interested in outer space! Afterwards, ask the students to create their own version of The Three Little Pigs in a completely different setting ("The Three Little Cowboys" perhaps?)

* Talk with...more
Lyla
LOVE!!!!!

This is an alien version of the Three Little Pigs. It's fun, contemporary and a bit silly. Silliness is so important in life and it's easy to loose as you age. Both my toddler and preschooler LOVE this book. We borrowed it from the library and have read it 3 times or so already.

The robot is on the scary side but they didn't' seem to have and issue with the illustration. I think a visually sensitive young child might have a problem with it.
ratherread
5 Stars (based on my grandson's response)

My 3 year old grand son loves this story based on "The 3 little Pigs and the Big Bad Wolf." He loves to imitate the sounds that the robot makes and cheers for the little aliens.
Courtney Dyer
The three little aliens- Bork, Gork, and Nklxwcyz- have outgrown their home and Mama sends them off to stick together and find a new home of their own. Failing to follow her advice, the three little aliens take us on a tour of our galaxy as each one finds refuge on one of the eight planets. Soon after they have settled into their new homes, “Greep Boink Ork Meep,” the Big Bad Robot shows up ready to crack and smack and whack their houses down.

The Three Little Aliens and the Big Bad Robot is a hu...more
Susan
I liked this "modern" approach to the 3 Little Pigs...it felt more accessible to today's child to me than the original. (I also liked the re-using of all the space "junk" out there!)
T Crockett
This book is a lot of fun. I read it with preschoolers but I think older (early elementary) kids would like it too. About a quarter of the way through one of the kids realized it was "just like the three little pigs" and got quite excited. From there on out there was a lot of guessing at what would happen next.

The illustrations have some fun details, so we spent a lot of time just discussing what we saw. It was also a great chance to talk a bit about the solar system and some of the machines we...more
Erik This Kid Reviews Books
When Mama Alien’s house was getting a bit crowded, and her three kids were getting a bit bigger, she decides it’s time for them to move out. She warns them to watch out for the BIG BAD ROBOT and to make sure they stay together. You can only guess what happens next in this re-telling of the fairy tale “The Three Little Pigs and the Big Bad Wolf”!

I love the idea of this story because I really like The Three Little Pigs tale and I think this one is a much funnier version! I think it is really cool...more
Emily Peed
The Three Little Aliens is a spinoff of The Three Little Pigs. The author, Margaret McNamara, takes a classic story and changes it for the next generation. Todays children read a lot of Sci-Fi or Fantasy books. The story was cliche. It was not original or special.

The pictures on the other hand were captivating. Since the story takes place in space the background of each picture is black but the illustrator, Mark Fearing, add depth to it. There are purple swirls to add interest to the background....more
Cathy
McNamara, M. (2011) The Three Little Aliens and the Big Bad Robot. New York, NY: Schwartz and Wade Books.

Mama alien, cautioning them to stick together to avoid the Big, Bad, Robot, sends her three little aliens out in the cosmos to find a new, spacious home. Instead, the three aliens choose to build three separate homes, ultimately battling with the Big, Bad Robot with expected consequences.

I enjoyed this predictable take on the classic, Three Little Pigs; the luminous hand drawn, digital collag...more
Matthew
This is the three pigs if it went to space. I have to say that a highlight of this story is the name of the main little robot whose name is an unpronounceable collection of consonants. Whenever I read the story aloud, I just made a throat noise like I had a bad cold and that was the character's name. The story was clever and made me laugh quite a few times, though it exhausted my throat to keep making that sound.
Mary
Following the traditional "The Three Little Pigs" storyline, Mama sends her young ones, Bork, Gork, and Nklxwcyz, off to find their own planets when their home in a cozy crater on a tiny planet gets too crowded. Of course, she reminds them to watch out for the Big Bad Robot who wants to chew them up, always stick together, and to call her every once in a while.

Bork and Gork are impatient and rush to make their choices. Bork chooses to live on a shiny space rover while Gork jumps on a passing sat...more
Paula
Three aliens set off to find a new planet for themselves but soon Bork and Gork have forgotten all of their mother's good advice and only Nklxwcyz builds a home safe enough to withstand the Big Bad Robot in this story reminiscent of "The Three Little Pigs."
Rebecca
This three little pigs adaptation is a sure-fire hit as a read-aloud. To get belly laughs usually reserved for the funniest comedians, just read the name of one of the siblings, Nklxwcyz. You'll have 'em rolling on the floor. Also great are the sound effects "GREEP BOINK MEEP!" During my story time the kids had so much fun guessing (correctly!) the various planets on which the aliens land. This book can be done so interactively. The kids loved reciting with me in a robotic voice, "Little alien!...more
Kelli
Reading this for summer reading for the children today. This story his cute and funny wording and because the children already know how this story goes it makes for a engaging read for them.
Jenny
I love clever or unique takes on traditional tales, so when I saw this twist on the Three Little Pigs I had to check it out. In this retelling, the three aliens leave their home on Mercury to find a new planet to inhabit. Each alien settles on a different planet, but of course the first two make poor choices and are nearly destroyed by the big bad robot. But fortunately, the third alien saves the day. I appreciated the similarities to the original tale and appreciated the inclusion of the entire...more
Gary
Really cool re-telling of "The Three Little Pigs and the Big Bad Wolf". Used it for my storytelling session today. Introduced the kids to the different planets in the solar system!
K M
Yet another take off on the Three Little Pigs. Cute, but if you are going to read it aloud to anyone, you might want to figure out how you are going to pronounce "Nklxwcyz" first.
Jie Gao
This is definitely MT's type, aliens, robots, space, planets, good guys and bad guys...
Kristina
We enjoyed this as a shared read-aloud with each person wearing a plastic finger puppet of their chosen alien character, reading their parts - sometimes in unison, acting out flights through space, and adding great sound effects to make the story come to life. The familiar storyline, adapted from The Three Little Pigs, provides a new context in which children can improve their oral reading skills by having fun with the prosodic features of the text. The story ends with a positive message for kid...more
Christina
Another great play on The Three Little Pigs!
Nicole Harding
This is a fun outer space version of the Three Little Pigs. It makes a fun complement to Paul Galdone's The Little Pigs and The Three Little Gators. I talk to the kids about how when you have a folktale, you can take the basic story and write a whole new one by changing the characters and locations. I then ask each child to think of 3 creatures to have to fight back against one big bad creature and to tell me what kind of story he/she wants to tell. It is really fun to hear some of the ideas tha...more
Msjennifers Corner
Retelling of The Three Little Pigs.
Cherie
It's kind of a cute book.
Rll52013_stephanieroche
"The Three Little Aliens and the Big Bad Robot" is a cute science fantasy version of the Three Little Pigs story. As a teacher, I like the fact that the story line very clearly mimics that of the original story, especially for comparative purposes in the classroom, but as a reader I would have liked the author to take some liberties in changing the story just a bit to make it more interesting, as it was pretty literal. Regardless, it was a fun story and a great example of just how much the setti...more
Cathy
Yet another book that I couldn't resist grabbing off of the children's shelf. This is a very cute modern retelling of the Three Little Pigs story. The illustrations are very engaging and the concepts are funny, kids are sure to enjoy it. It doesn't try to be a science book, as the author explains in the afterword, but she and the illustrator did work together to portray the planets properly so that kids may absorb a little bit of knowledge while they're enjoying the cute book.
Ruth
It's a great retelling of The Three Little Pigs. My only complaint is that they explore just in our solar system, but towards the end of the book, there's a mention of flashing light "halfway across the universe". Someone needs to retake their fifth grade science class. As long as you point out the error in astronomy, I think it's a great addition to any kid's bookshelf. My 2yo was raptured by the robot, and my 7yo also enjoyed the story.
Linda Trott
This addition to the "three little pig" genre is well researched, well illustrated and quite engaging. My third graders enjoyed comparing it to the original as well as exercising their critical thinking in comparing it to Ruth Young's My Trip to Mars. The first two houses were not made of straw and sticks, but the third house held true to the original. My students were delighted.
Rebecca
The illustration have a fun digital collage and drawn style and the color works, but the story, a take on the three little pigs and the big bad wolf annoys me: The aliens are kind of sarcastic and self-absorbed, the robot is too scary, and the plot follows the traditional form but feels illogical in the way the traditional tale does not (I wont say more without giving things away).
Becky
Alternate version of The Three Little Pigs - in space! Gotta say, not very many picture books about space/aliens, so this is a nice alternative for kids with those interests. Definitely have to have creative pronunciation skills (the three little aliens' names are Bork, Gork, and Nklxwcyz) but its a fun story with lively illustrations.
  • Not Your Typical Dragon
  • Waking Beauty
  • Toys in Space
  • Machines Go to Work in the City
  • Dog in Boots
Margaret McNamara is the Christopher Award–winning author of more than two dozen books for young readers, including the Robin Hill School series. The Fairy Bell Sisters series is inspired not only by her love of the classic sisterhood novel Little Women but by her own experiences growing up with older sisters (and a baby brother). Margaret and her family live in New York City, but they spend part...more
More about Margaret McNamara...
How Many Seeds in a Pumpkin? George Washington's Birthday: A Mostly True Tale The Apple Orchard Riddle Apples A to Z Sylva and the Fairy Ball (The Fairy Bell Sister #1)