Start by marking “You Shouldn't Have to Say Goodbye” as Want to Read:
You Shouldn't Have to Say Goodbye

You Shouldn't Have to Say Goodbye

Thirteen-year-old Sarah Morrow doesn't think much of the fact that her mother winced a little when she hugged her. In fact, that first small indication of something wrong escapes the whole family. Three weeks later though there can be no escape. Sarah's mother has been diagnosed with incurable cancer and the love this family shares becomes a desperate clinging.

But Sarah's
Published May 1st 1984 by Scholastic (first published January 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about You Shouldn't Have to Say Goodbye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Shouldn't Have to Say Goodbye

Teresa
Jun 08, 2007 Teresa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
I first read You Shouldn't Have to Say Good-bye in the fourth grade as an ESL student, struggling to learn English. A novel about a young woman's cancerous dying mother probably wasn't the best book for the purpose, but I remember how even then, with my limited grasp of the English language, I was completely moved by this book.

In the novel, teenager Sarah Marrow and her mother share a deep and cherished bond -- a bond that was tested and proved unshakable when her mother was diagnosed with termi
Carin
Jul 11, 2010 Carin rated it it was amazing
This was a favorite book of my childhood. I couldn't remember the title for years, and I finally ran across it in a Sourcebooks catalog as they rereleased it a couple of years ago. Like a lot of old favorites I worried it wouldn't hold up. I worried it would be really dated, lightweight, and maudlin. Luckily, this is another book that held up. (Boy, the cover artwork has changed!)

Sarah's a pretty ordinary girl. She's 13, does gymnastics, hangs out with her best friend Robyn, and goes to school.
Sara
Rebecca McNutt
Jun 17, 2015 Rebecca McNutt rated it really liked it
This book was rather depressing, but it was extremely well-written and easy to read through, with an unforgettable story.
Dan Rogers
Nov 25, 2016 Dan Rogers rated it really liked it
Predictable yet still enjoyable story of a 13 year old who struggles to come to grips with the idea that her mother has terminal cancer. As one might expect, this is a very difficult challenge for a young teen. The main thing that keeps her going is school and gymnastics. I expected what I began reading that there would be a time when I would have to break out the tissues. In this I wasn't disappointed. A good selection for middle grade readers unless they have lost a parent, then probably not o ...more
Brina
Nov 13, 2013 Brina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ich hatte mal wieder große Lust auf ein englischsprachiges Buch und habe dabei "You Shouldn't Have To Say Goodbye" von Patricia Hermes empfohlen kommen. Da mich das Cover und die Kurzbeschreibung direkt angesprochen haben, wollte ich dem Buch eine Chance geben.

Zuallererst sollte gesagt werden, dass dieses Buch auch bestens für Einsteiger gedacht ist, die vielleicht Probleme mit der englischen Sprache haben, bzw. nicht zu oft auf Englisch lesen. Von daher kann das Buch besonders für jüngere Lese
Christina C.x
Mar 14, 2016 Christina C.x rated it it was amazing
Rachel
Sep 13, 2016 Rachel rated it it was amazing
I cried so much while reading this book.
Yijoo Choi
Mar 14, 2016 Yijoo Choi rated it really liked it
Suin Kim
Mar 14, 2016 Suin Kim rated it it was amazing
Heather
Oct 23, 2015 Heather rated it it was amazing
I remember getting this book in Elementary School at the book fair, That was about 20 + years ago and it has stuck with me ever since..It was one of those books that I read over and over again. It was very sad but those kind of books have always been my kind of thing..I remember reading in the book about how the mother was teaching her girl how to do the laundry because when she was gone she would have to know how to do it..I remember growing up in my own home my Mom showing me and I instantly t ...more
Cheri
Jun 13, 2009 Cheri rated it it was amazing
I just finished this one and I have to say I cried for at least the last three chapters. I was a little disappointed to find something missing from the author bio, because she either has a vivid imagination or she's lived this experience.

Having lost a parent as a child, I could identify with the anger, denial and loss the main character went through. But now, as a mother myself, I also identified with the parents as they struggled to come to terms with the twist their lives had taken.

I don't kn
Veronica
Feb 03, 2008 Veronica rated it it was amazing
I first read this book in about 4th or 5th grade and loved it. I would draw a bath and grab this book and reread it, crying, laughing, and crying some more. I loved it so much that I put it on our class/community library for others to discover and love. Of course, someone didn't bring it back and it took me years to find my own copy again. But in the meantime I would check it out from the library over and over, even into my 20s.

This is a children's book that features a young girl dealing with h
Isabella
Jun 05, 2013 Isabella rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
i dont waaannaaaa review it hnnng

This book had so much potential, it really did. But it was full of monotony and I just got bored. I couldn't get hooked. i tried everything and I just cried for not being able to finish this book. So when I finally decided one afternoon that I wouldn't eat until I finish the book, I finally did whoops.

And still, oh gosh so boring. 10 dollars bad spent. Whoops
Najila
May 29, 2007 Najila rated it it was amazing
Another Patricia Hermes book I read and reread. She wrote a lot about sad situations for younger kids. I liked them because they kind of sober you up and teaches humility. Little kids might be spoiled sometimes so these books are really down to earth and reminds us that we should be blessed for what good we do have.
Joanna
Sep 17, 2015 Joanna rated it really liked it
This book nearly had me in tears at least twice. I can hardly believe that this little book can deal with such heavy subject matter. The fact that a girl of thirteen has to lose her mom to cancer is sad enough in itself despite some of the sequences in this book. I wish that the ending was a bit more positive, but I'd definitely keep this in my junior high classroom. Very good book.
Kelly Moon
I liked this book, but it was not really realistic. Mostly the parents tell the kids somebody is going to die or lie to the kid. Amd this is the first time I'm reading the book that somebody's gonna die.
Brandy
Feb 14, 2013 Brandy added it
I read this book in the 4th grade and ended up losing a parent a couple of years later. I reread this book many times during that rough period of my life and it helped to think that I wasn't alone. It is incredibly sad but an amazing read for young people who may need this to cope.
Morgan
Nov 04, 2015 Morgan rated it it was amazing
Great book! I havent read it recently but read it over and over loads when I was younger. A sad story but beautiful story, well-written, easy read!
Sonu
Feb 11, 2008 Sonu rated it really liked it
This book made a serious impact on me at a young age- made me grateful for what I had and redefined my perspective.
Keri
Jun 15, 2015 Keri rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites from childhood. This is a very short read, but moving and emotional, especially the last few chapters.
stacey
Sep 04, 2011 stacey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
I have read this book about five times and every time I cry, I won't include spoilers so just be ready and settle in with a box of tissues.
Ruth Ho
Dec 02, 2013 Ruth Ho rated it liked it
This book's intended age group isn't mine. So I thought the storyline developed real fast. But it was still a book that moved me to tears. A story of loving, and letting go. :')
Liz
Feb 23, 2009 Liz rated it it was amazing
I read this book as a child and it was so sad but such a great book. I read it so many times that the cover came off and the pages were falling apart.
Karen
Aug 02, 2011 Karen rated it really liked it
As a girl, I read and reread this until the cover fell off. It was one of the first books to make me cry (and my god, did I cry).
Ruth
Jan 22, 2012 Ruth marked it as to-read
I remember reading this book when I was a kid. The story has stuck with me for over 20 years! I think it's time to read it again.
Holly Lindquist
Oct 17, 2009 Holly Lindquist rated it really liked it
Shelves: children_9-12
Deals with a young girl whose mother is dying of cancer. This is a sopping wet hanky of a book, but well written never-the-less. You may need a hug after reading it though.
Jennifer rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2016
Sandi Christiansen
Sandi Christiansen rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2010
Sheila
Sheila rated it it was ok
Aug 17, 2012
  • Devil in Vienna
  • Beyond Forgetting
  • Anastasia's Chosen Career (Anastasia Krupnik, #7)
  • Logan's Story (The Baby-Sitters Club Special Edition Readers' Request)
  • The Dark and Deadly Pool
  • Silver (Sarabeth, #1)
  • Striped Ice Cream
  • Jelly Belly
  • The Year of My Miraculous Reappearance
  • Clues in the Woods (Liza, Bill & Jed Mysteries)
  • Beset: The Pursuit of Happiness in Times of Crisis
  • Thirteen Ways to Sink a Sub
  • Hand-Me-Down Love
  • The Mutiny on Board HMS Bounty (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Why Did She Have to Die?
  • Seventeen and In-Between