You Shouldn't Have to Say Goodbye

You Shouldn't Have to Say Goodbye

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  167 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Thirteen-year-old Sarah Morrow doesn't think much of the fact that her mother winced a little when she hugged her. In fact, that first small indication of something wrong escapes the whole family. Three weeks later though there can be no escape. Sarah's mother has been diagnosed with incurable cancer and the love this family shares becomes a desperate clinging.

But Sarah's...more
Published May 1st 1984 by Scholastic (first published January 1st 1982)

Teresa
I first read You Shouldn't Have to Say Good-bye in the fourth grade as an ESL student, struggling to learn English. A novel about a young woman's cancerous dying mother probably wasn't the best book for the purpose, but I remember how even then, with my limited grasp of the English language, I was completely moved by this book.

In the novel, teenager Sarah Marrow and her mother share a deep and cherished bond -- a bond that was tested and proved unshakable when her mother was diagnosed with termi...more
Sara
So I felt compelled to order a copy from Amazon and re-read it, and...well, it was good. The protag was believable, the characters felt subtle and natural, and the writing was mature for a YA book. The bad thing is, the ending was pretty depressing. Not for the reasons you might think, though.

I actually expected Sarah's mother to die somewhere near the middle, and the rest of the book to be about her and her dad moving on and dealing with their grief. When she didn't, I thought the book would en...more
Brina
Ich hatte mal wieder große Lust auf ein englischsprachiges Buch und habe dabei "You Shouldn't Have To Say Goodbye" von Patricia Hermes empfohlen kommen. Da mich das Cover und die Kurzbeschreibung direkt angesprochen haben, wollte ich dem Buch eine Chance geben.

Zuallererst sollte gesagt werden, dass dieses Buch auch bestens für Einsteiger gedacht ist, die vielleicht Probleme mit der englischen Sprache haben, bzw. nicht zu oft auf Englisch lesen. Von daher kann das Buch besonders für jüngere Lese...more
Carin
This was a favorite book of my childhood. I couldn't remember the title for years, and I finally ran across it in a Sourcebooks catalog as they rereleased it a couple of years ago. Like a lot of old favorites I worried it wouldn't hold up. I worried it would be really dated, lightweight, and maudlin. Luckily, this is another book that held up. (Boy, the cover artwork has changed!)

Sarah's a pretty ordinary girl. She's 13, does gymnastics, hangs out with her best friend Robyn, and goes to school....more
Lunarai
Jul 25, 2010 Lunarai rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone, young or old
I don't even remember when I read this book, it was such a long time ago. But when a book hits you so deeply that the contents and the ending stick with you even long after you've forgotten the book title, it really says something about it.

Even after all of these years, I remember the young girl in the novel struggling to cope with the reality that her mother is slowly dying, and I vividly remember the terrifying moments of her mother's death. The book is definitely depressing and not recommend...more
Cheri
I just finished this one and I have to say I cried for at least the last three chapters. I was a little disappointed to find something missing from the author bio, because she either has a vivid imagination or she's lived this experience.

Having lost a parent as a child, I could identify with the anger, denial and loss the main character went through. But now, as a mother myself, I also identified with the parents as they struggled to come to terms with the twist their lives had taken.

I don't kn...more
Veronica
I first read this book in about 4th or 5th grade and loved it. I would draw a bath and grab this book and reread it, crying, laughing, and crying some more. I loved it so much that I put it on our class/community library for others to discover and love. Of course, someone didn't bring it back and it took me years to find my own copy again. But in the meantime I would check it out from the library over and over, even into my 20s.

This is a children's book that features a young girl dealing with h...more
Bella
i dont waaannaaaa review it hnnng

This book had so much potential, it really did. But it was full of monotony and I just got bored. I couldn't get hooked. i tried everything and I just cried for not being able to finish this book. So when I finally decided one afternoon that I wouldn't eat until I finish the book, I finally did whoops.

And still, oh gosh so boring. 10 dollars bad spent. Whoops
Najila
Another Patricia Hermes book I read and reread. She wrote a lot about sad situations for younger kids. I liked them because they kind of sober you up and teaches humility. Little kids might be spoiled sometimes so these books are really down to earth and reminds us that we should be blessed for what good we do have.
Brandy
Feb 14, 2013 Brandy added it
I read this book in the 4th grade and ended up losing a parent a couple of years later. I reread this book many times during that rough period of my life and it helped to think that I wasn't alone. It is incredibly sad but an amazing read for young people who may need this to cope.
Holly Lindquist
Deals with a young girl whose mother is dying of cancer. This is a sopping wet hanky of a book, but well written never-the-less. You may need a hug after reading it though.
Ruth Ho
This book's intended age group isn't mine. So I thought the storyline developed real fast. But it was still a book that moved me to tears. A story of loving, and letting go. :')
Liz
I read this book as a child and it was so sad but such a great book. I read it so many times that the cover came off and the pages were falling apart.
Karen
As a girl, I read and reread this until the cover fell off. It was one of the first books to make me cry (and my god, did I cry).
stacey
I have read this book about five times and every time I cry, I won't include spoilers so just be ready and settle in with a box of tissues.
Ruth
Jan 22, 2012 Ruth marked it as to-read
I remember reading this book when I was a kid. The story has stuck with me for over 20 years! I think it's time to read it again.
Sonu
This book made a serious impact on me at a young age- made me grateful for what I had and redefined my perspective.
Eastofoz
Jun 02, 2008 Eastofoz rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Eastofoz by: Elementary school YA read
Shelves: young-adult
I read this book as a kid and I remember crying my head off for how sad it was. It was so good!
Maria
Sep 02, 2008 Maria rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Maria by: Elementary teacher
This is a childhood favorite. I am not even sure how many times I read this book.
Cathy
Sad, sad, sad. Don't read this if you don't want to be sad. Or if your not a tween.
Aye de la Cruz
One of my most favorite books as a young child. A must read for everyone.^^
L
Mar 04, 2010 L rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: death
Very sad book I liked when I was in grade school.
Susan
One of my favorites, growing up
So sad! A realistic story about death.
Anna
So sad! A realistic story about death.
Kimberly
Childhood fav
Roberta
young adult
My Girl Our Strange New Land (My America: Elizabeth's Jamestown Colony Diary, #1) The Starving Time (My America: Elizabeth's Jamestown Colony Diary, #2) Koda (Horse Diaries, #3) Westward to Home (My America: Joshua's Oregon Trail Diary, #1)