Start by marking “Unsinkable: A Young Woman's Courageous Battle on the High Seas” as Want to Read:
Unsinkable: A Young Woman's Courageous Battle on the High Seas

Unsinkable: A Young Woman's Courageous Battle on the High Seas

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  128 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Abby Sutherland grew up sailing. Her father, Laurence, a shipwright, and her mother, Marianne, wanted their kids to develop responsibility, to see other cultures, to experience the world instead of watching it on TV. So they took them sailing down the coast of Mexico... for three years.
When Abby was thirteen, she began helping her father deliver boats and soon was sailin
Published April 12th 2011 by Thomas Nelson Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Unsinkable, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unsinkable

Sharon
Wow, what a story, what an adventure, what a woman!! Well, what an amazing girl.

This book is written in 3 voices, Abby Sunderland, her mom and dad, and the technicians who answered her many calls for technical assistance when issues arose on the boat.

Abby is a 16 year old in love with the sea. She decides to be the youngest person to circumnavigate the world and with the help of her parents, leaves Marina del Rey in January 2010 with her boat Wild Eyes.

Unfortunately Wild Eyes was knocked down
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
This book follows the epic and heroic journey of sixteen year old Abby Sunderland as she sets out to be the youngest person to sail nonstop around the world unassisted. Setting out from Marina Del Rey, California, Abby sailed a southern route around Cape Horn and become the youngest person to sail solo around the “Mount Everest of sailing”, proving wrong the critics that predicted her trip would last a few weeks at most.

Abby literally battled against the odds as her equipment failed, vicious sto
Ambra
Unsinkable is a book best described as a pleasant surprise.

I was pleasantly surprised by the Sunderland family and their daring parenting style. I was also pleasantly surprised by Abby Sunderland’s writing style. It made me feel like a friend come for a casual afternoon visit who quickly found themselves captivated by this 16-year-old’s adventures on the high seas. But, I think, most surprising was the fact that a story about a failed attempt to achieve a goal could read so much like a success.

W
Care
My feelings regarding this book telling the tale of Abby Sunderland’s quest to become the youngest person to circumnavigate the globe were rather mixed. Despite being interested in Abby’s experience, I had trouble staying engaged and ended up not finishing the book, largely because I had other pressing review commitments that were more in line with my interests.

In alternating chapters, the book is narrated from shifting viewpoints, including those of Abby herself, her parents, and others involv
Amanda
This is the semi-autobiographical account of Abby Sunderland, the sixteen-year-old American who attempted to sail solo around the world in 2010. The book is written partly in Sunderland's first-person voice, and partly in third person to describe her background, the preparations for her trip, and the trip itself.

I must start this review by stating that at the time this story hit the news, I absolutely did not agree that a young woman of that age should be allowed by anyone to attempt such a feat
Nora
There were three things which prevented me from enjoying this story and giving it more than an okay rating: the defensive tone at the tale's beginning (and the incessant praise given to Abby at every available opportunity later on), Abby's very teenage writing style (different perspectives are sectioned off into threes: Abby's parts are represented by a sailboat, the narrator by an anchor, and rescuers by a cross), and a very weak attempt to give readers a more in-depth look at Abby's voyage (in ...more
Melanie
After watching Jessica Watson’s attempt at solo sailing the globe, I thought this would be a great book to read.

The book is told in 3 ways and symbolised accordingly- through the eyes of Abby Sunderland (yacht symbol), the Narrator (anchor symbol) and the rescue team (first aid symbol.)

A change in icon means a change in the speaker or location.

At the age of 13, Abby Sunderland has a dream to be the youngest sailor to sail the globe non-stop and unassisted. Her older brother Zac successfully comp
Chuck
The literary level of the book isn't high, but I'm completely comfortable having low expectations about the sophistication of the narrative and high expectations about the content.

There were many points in the story when I had to remind myself that this young woman is only 14 years old. Her maturity in choices and wisdom is beyond her years.

The story begs the question again and again, "What other great things will this family show us about sacrificing love, trust and strength of character?"

One o
Jon
Good story about Abby Sunderland's quest to solo sail around the world at the age of 15. It's fairly well written, although Abby's homeschooling needs to spend some additional time on the proper use of "me" and "I". Either that, or work with an editor who wasn't involved in writing Sarah Palin's "goin' rogue" book.

In Unsinkable, we learn the Sunderland family's side of this controversial solo sail. It certainly seemed to me that Abby was fully capable of sailing around the world solo, had great
Keith Bowden
I liked the book, more Abby's portions than her co-writer (who couldn't set her personal agendas aside long enough to simply tell Abby's story).

I followed the end of Abby's adventure "live" as it was unfolding online. It was engaging and she's an amazing young woman who will likely do whatever she sets out to accomplish.

The book gives background to Abby's family, life and prelude to her trip, then covers her journey. In a way, her attempt to circumnavigate the world solo is s miniature Moby Dick
Mark
Expectations are a terrible thing because so often they let you down. I started this book really wanting to love it. I mean what's not to love here. A wonderful story of grit and determination in a teenage girl, who at sixteen isn't even a woman yet, striving against all odds to break the world record as the youngest female to single-handedly sail around the world non-stop. That she does not succeed is not the story here the story is thee fortitude and perseverance she demonstrates having to rep ...more
Darren
Jan 06, 2012 Darren rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who's into stories of sailing, survival against long odds, or people achieving their dreams.
I was very impressed with Unsinkable: A Young Woman's Courageous Battle on the High Seas, both with the quality of the writing and even moreso with Abby Sunderland herself. It takes quite a lot to hold to a dream for long enough and as tightly as she had to in order to make her trip a reality, especially in the face of the sort of organized opposition that she encountered at many points. The fact that, in the end, she didn't set any records isn't in itself a failure -- as with so many things it ...more
Stephanie Ziegler
Aug 21, 2012 Stephanie Ziegler rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stephanie by: BookSneeze
Shelves: booksneeze
Surprisingly, this was a good book. It is very inspirational and shows how a 16-year-old, or at any age, can be driven and passionate about something she loves to do. Her work ethic is exceptional for her age. This would be a good book to read in schools to show the kids that if they put their mind to something, they can do anything. The way that her family supported her made my heart leap with joy. The love that her Dad has for her is touching. Going to the ends of the Earth on every type of tr ...more
Dwight Karlsen
I followed Abby's journey shortly after she had begun it, when the media obsession with it reached a peak fervor. I have been meaning to read her book for quite some time, but I hesitated because I was afraid I would be disappointed. Because after all, I knew Abby was not a professional writer. But my desire to find out more of the details of her amazing journey finally overcame my doubts, and I bought and read Unsinkable. I am pleasantly surprised at the excellent quality of Abby's writing skil ...more
Tabitha
Amanda Gray
The book was definitely interesting from the standpoint of getting a firsthand account of what Abby went through during her attempt to sail solo around the world. She did a great job at explaining what her thought were going through the different trials and tribulations of her attempt. I really felt for her when she made the decision to head to port in South Africa, for anyone that had to be tough. She is definitely wiser beyond her years and she more than proved that.
The one thing I didn't lik
Erin O'Riordan
Abby Sunderland is truly an amazing young woman. A sailor from a very early age, she realized when she was 13 that she wanted to attempt to solo circumnavigate the world, and she set out to do just that at age 16. She didn't quite make it, but she did log more than 12,000 miles from Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, to the middle of the Indian Ocean. She not only faced the ocean alone, in a boat that would eventually lose its mast in addition to several other problems, but she also faced a storm of critic ...more
Julie
This book reads very fast. I would have loved to see the book written in conjunction with her brother's trip around the world, as her story is so short.

I felt there was a great of defense going on, due to the attacks on the family. Having read about the adventure on Abby's blog- before and during her trip, I felt many of the accusations against the family were unwarranted. However, I did feel that part of this book continues to defend their choices, and they seemed to have been burned quite badl
Mandi Friedman
Unsinkable is a huge adventure book. Abby set out with a big sailing dream and had many people supporting and helping her mission. This book is not only an enjoyable story but written in an enticing way. It captured my attention from start to finish. She is an inspirational girl that lives an interesting, alternative life.
Tricia
Mar 30, 2011 Tricia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: share
I received this book shortly after I finished Between a Rock and a Hard Place by Aron Ralston, and was worried that another survival against the odds book wouldn't hold my attention. Unsinkable did much more than just hold my attention, I felt compelled to finish it and enjoyed every page along the way. The story, told from three points of view (each change marked by a unique icon), flows smoothly through both back-story and the main plot.

To me Abby's story is very much a reminder of the fact t
Vanessa Hernandez
I didn't enjoy this book very much. Probably because it was non-fiction. I'm not one for reading someones journey unless it is more on the historical side. I thought I would try something new, but in the end it was a terrible change.
Jo Linsdell
Unsinkable takes readers on a journey around the world as it follows Abby Sunderland from her family holidays on her family boat as a young child to her incredible battle on the high seas.

It's amazing to think that the adventures in this book are actually a true story. Abby is inspiring both for her bravery and her abilities. It just goes to show what can be achieved when you have the courage to follow your dreams.

I learn't a lot about life at sea and sailing from this book but also about making
Bruce Cline
Unsinkable, 199 pp. A great book, especially for young people (and esp. young women) about a 16 year old's attempt to circumnavigate the world by herself. After sailing from Marina Del Ray, CA past Cape Horn and Cape Town, S. Africa her boat was dismasted in the Indian Ocean. She was then rescued by the Australian SAR and a French fishing vessel. Her family was roundly criticized for letting her make this attempt, but she argues it was her decision. She later testified to congressional staff and ...more
Dana
I'm well overdue reading this one. Overall I enjoyed the adventure, but I was disappointed by how obviously rushed this book was. I followed her blog as she was making her solo attempt, and worried when she was lost at sea. Relieved when she was found, safe, and returned home. Most of all proud of her for making the attempt and proud of her parents for not holding her back. It seemed that the media (and a large percentage of the world) did not agree with me, so unfortunately this book had to ans ...more
Sabra
Such a courageous teenager! I really enjoyed reading her journey across the sea.
Kathy
Fabulously, well written, a real page turner that I could not put down. I was totally surprised at how good this book is. It is something to be enjoyed by young and old alike. Abby dreamed big, prepared well and survived after a Rogue wave dismasted her boat in the middle of the Indian Ocean - surrounded by 27 million square miles of water. Only God could have saved her and He did.
Rebecca
I knew before reading this that Abby's boat was dismasted in the middle of the Indian Ocean, causing her to abandon her round-the-world circumnavigation attempt. But I never realized how dicey the situation was for her. Not quite as engaging as Jessica Watson's book, but still enjoyable.
Becca
Maureen
Glad I read the book. A lot of sailing terms however. It was very interesting to see how this young courageous girl embarked on this journey and survived! Quite the motivating book.
M Hill
Preachy at parts, but overall an interesting read-I'm 15 and Abby is very brave. She made the decision on her own, and it's fantastic that she's chasing her dream.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • True Spirit: The Aussie Girl Who Took On The World
  • Sailing Fundamentals
  • Comfort from a Country Quilt
  • Neo Leo: The Ageless Ideas of Leonardo da Vinci
  • Shackleton's Boat Journey
  • Castaway Kid: One Man's Search for Hope and Home
  • Weird Al: The Book
  • Eight Lives Down: The Story of a Counterterrorist Bomb-Disposal Operator's Tour in Iraq
  • The Alpine Path: The Story of My Career
  • Leni: The Life and Work of Leni Riefenstahl
  • Inconceivable
  • Black Wave: A Family's Adventure at Sea and the Disaster That Saved Them
  • Lost and Found
  • The Wicked Wager
  • North To The Night: A Spiritual Odyssey In The Arctic
  • Sierra Jensen Collection, Vol. 4 (Sierra Jensen, #10-12)
  • The Faithful Parent: A Biblical Guide to Raising a Family
  • Maiden Voyage
Unsinkable: A Young Woman's Courageous Battle on the High Seas Wild Eyes - mit dem Wind um die Welt: Mit 16 allein auf dem Meer (German Edition) Unsinkable: A Young Woman's Courageous Battle on the High Seas