Start by marking “The Campus Trilogy: Changing Places / Small World / Nice Work” as Want to Read:
The Campus Trilogy: Changing Places / Small World / Nice Work

The Campus Trilogy: Changing Places / Small World / Nice Work (The Campus Trilogy #1-3)

"A trio of dazzling novels in a comic mode that the author has now made completely his own...a cause for celebration." -The New York Times Book ReviewDavid Lodge's three delightfully sophisticated campus novels, now gathered together in one volume, expose the world of academia at its best-and its worst. In Changing Places, we meet Philip Swallow, British lecturer in Englis ...more
Published October 4th 2011 by Penguin Books (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Campus Trilogy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Campus Trilogy

Vishnu
May 27, 2016 Vishnu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't enjoyed a book as much as I did this in a while. I refuse to sully the experience by saying too much on the matter except that I love this book, I adore it, and that it is a worthy successor to Lucky Jim, another awfully brilliant book.
Jeff
Jun 23, 2009 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really a stunningly cute trio of stories exploring a topic long overdue; the bad behavior of academics. Lodge has a real gift for seamlessly integrating the ideas and theories that the characters live and breathe into the stories themselves, in such a way as to provide good summaries of literary theory in the post-war era and also at providing a microcosmic snapshot of postwar history itself.
Mary Papastavrou
I love everything and I mean everything, that Professor Lodge ever published. His academic comedy novels are very hard to beat and the early ones have more than a hint of Robertson Davis in them which is a fantastic bonus!
Anindita Satpathi
It's a book like this that should be bigger (figuratively) than they are, be pored over on afternoons, tucked into a bag for a long bus ride and on the must-read list of any one who likes a good laugh. I'm thrilled with this find and will definitely be buying more Lodge.
Small World takes off convincingly from where Changing places left off. Nice Work, by contrast, is an almost-unrelated story with recurring characters. Dealing with the portentous pretensions of academics back in the 60s through
David Sinck
Sep 28, 2013 David Sinck rated it it was amazing
I remember seeing the TV version of "Small World" made by Granada Television (remember them?) and having fully enjoyed it twenty years ago turned to the trilogy from the pile of "Campus novels" on Blackwell's table to kick start the new uni term.

It takes a really funny book to make me laugh out load, but this series did so. Lodge's grasp of plot and character are such that one is (briefly) a student again. Smoking pot, sex between students and students, students and lecturers,lecturers and lectu
Kate
Sep 04, 2011 Kate rated it really liked it
I read all three of these novels separately and found them very pleasurable. The trick to each is that people of very different persuasions and personalities are thrown together-- and each one winds up learning from and being influenced by the other. The characters are basically likeable (even as you're bound to find one of them more congenial to your own world view) and the changes they undergo seem plausible.
Does the pleasure in reading come from this sense that we all might become wiser as we
Anne
Jan 08, 2012 Anne rated it it was amazing
What fun to read all of these novels back-to-back (although I haven't technically gotten to Nice Work yet.) Lodge does a wonderful job of capturing the time he is living in. Reading Changing Places right after Alison Lurie's "War Between the Tates" was a treat. Both are campus novels featuring academics in their 40's and set in the rapidly changing world of 1969. Superficially, Lodge focuses on the difference between the UK and US, where Lurie focuses on the difference between men and women. But ...more
Krob
Jun 21, 2012 Krob rated it liked it
This is compilation of three novellas. The first two, Changing Places and Small World, were just okay. I started reading the book because I like books about colleges, and these stories were tangentially set on campuses. The third store, Nice Work, was more of what I really wanted to read. It explored the differences between someone who works in industry versus the life of an English professor. Both characters were full of foibles, and their attraction for each other and each other's life style r ...more
Lindsay Pulford
Mixed bag. Changing places was good once I got into it. Small world was disjointed and overblown. Nice work was very good
Livies
Feb 25, 2012 Livies rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'd really give it more like 2.5 stars. This one hurt. I loved "Therapy" by David Lodge SO MUCH and this trilogy was just frustrating. I had high hopes and it just was not what I expected.
Jack
Feb 17, 2012 Jack rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.8 stars. I enjoyed these books. Though, this is partly due to my romantic ideas about educational establishments and 60s and 70s architecture. Yeah.
Katrina
Jan 23, 2013 Katrina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this while I was nervously awaiting the posh lunch with David Lodge...all three novels are brilliant - funny, intelligent and immensely readable.
Sandra Ronai
Sandra Ronai rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2015
Avid
Avid rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2010
Heather Howells
Heather Howells rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2012
Jay
Jay rated it liked it
Nov 04, 2014
Micaela Piperno
Micaela Piperno rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2014
Sophie
Sophie rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2016
Julie Begon
Julie Begon rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2012
Renske
Renske rated it it was ok
Jan 07, 2017
Miss M
Miss M rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2013
Astra Spalvēna
Astra Spalvēna rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2015
Luis
Luis rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2016
Liis Leitsalu
Liis Leitsalu rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2015
Anshuman Pande
Anshuman Pande rated it really liked it
May 14, 2015
Liora Malki-Epshtein
Liora Malki-Epshtein rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2015
Pippa Skotnes
Pippa Skotnes rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2014
Charles Finch
Charles Finch rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2013
pedriye m.
pedriye m. rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2015
Robert T Bowie
Robert T Bowie rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2014
  • Cranford: and other stories
  • Rates of Exchange & Why Come to Slaka?
  • The Corpse on the Dike
  • Men and Angels
  • South of the Big Four
  • The Penguin Complete Novels of Nancy Mitford
  • Rare and Commonplace Flowers: The Story of Elizabeth Bishop and Lota de Macedo Soares
  • Sita
  • Journals and Letters
  • The Complete Patrick Melrose Novels
  • Retreat from Love
  • To War with Whitaker: The Wartime Diaries of the Countess of Ranfurly, 1939-1945
  • The D. Case or The Truth About The Mystery Of Edwin Drood
  • Haweswater
  • The Unexpected Professor: An Oxford Life in Books
  • The Lone Pilgrim
  • Charlie M (Charlie Muffin, #1)
  • The Assassin's Cloak: An Anthology of the World's Greatest Diarists
Professor David Lodge is a graduate and Honorary Fellow of University College London. He is Emeritus Professor of English Literature at the University of Birmingham, where he taught from 1960 until 1987, when he retired to write full-time.

He is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature, was Chairman of the Judges for the Booker Prize for Fiction in 1989, and is the author of numerous works of li
More about David Lodge...

The Campus Trilogy (3 books)
  • Changing Places