Start by marking “Shades of Death: A Mystery” as Want to Read:
Shades of Death: A Mystery

Shades of Death: A Mystery

Deep in a Derbyshire cave, the skeleton of an eleven-year-old girl has lain undisturbed for eighteen years. As DS Tom Ward, in charge of the investigation, uncovers the layers of deception that span all those years, he finds himself dangerously connected to unexpected and devastating developments. A subsequent and possibly related death involves a seemingly innocent and be ...more
Published May 14th 2002 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Shades of Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shades of Death

Cphe
More than adequate synopsis on offer so no point rehashing. This novel started out strongly, the premise sounded more than intriguing but found that there were a few too many "improbabilities" regarding parts of the plot. Couldn't really gel with the "reincarnation" aspect for want of a better word.

I did like the main character D.S Tom Woods, smart, resourceful and someone who didn't follow blindly. Slower plot/ storyline development and it did lag in places. Didn't stand out for the genre.
LJ
SHADES OF DEATH (Police Proc-DS Tom Ward-England-Cont) – VG+
Templeton, Aline – Standalone
Hodder & Stoughton, 2001, UK Hardcover – ISBN: 0340794283
First Sentence: The scary, awful screaming and howling seemed further away now, though it was had to tell because of the echoes.
*** D.S. Tom Ward doesn’t always believe in following the rules and his newest case proves life changing. The skeleton of a young girl is found in a cave 18 years after her death. Also found in the cave are remnants of rit
Diana Hockley
May 08, 2015 Diana Hockley rated it liked it

This was a hard one to read. I can't come to grips with animal torture and even though it's "only" a story, I hate reading about it. However, the plot had more twists and turns than I could imagine. The author did a good job of leading the reader through the secrets which were kept for twenty years.

I don't want to give a spoiler - suffice to say, I was disappointed in the final unveiling of the murderer, it was unconvincing for me, quite frankly and I didn't want the main detective, Tom, to do w
Ali
Sep 08, 2009 Ali rated it liked it
I enjoyed this novel. It had a nice reasonably complicated plot - ie not too outlandish not glaringly obvious. I didn't totally guess whodunnit but wasn'r surprised by the outcome either. Over all a good undemanding read, not too bloodthirsty or "gritty" - which I am always worried about with modern crime novels. I read Cold in the earth by this author a couple of months ago - which I enjoyed too, but of the two I think I liked this more.
This will now be going out on a bookcrossing ray, - for w
comfort
Aug 02, 2013 comfort rated it it was amazing
This starts off in such a frightening scenario, it took me a few goes to get past the set-up as I was afraid I'd have nightmares.

The whole concept of 'caving" is so beyond my comfort zone I can't even read about it (initially). Little girl lost in a cave with no light.

This is the story of finding her killer 25 (or so) years later.
Luigi
May 25, 2012 Luigi rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Not my usual sort of read, but it got me curious. Don't usually read mysteries, but the Egyptian Osiris link caught my interest. Dissapointed on that aspect, but otherwise pretty good characterisation.
Lizzy
Nov 11, 2014 Lizzy rated it really liked it
Love Aline's Big Marge series, so I wanted to explore her other novels. This did not disappoint, though I was surprised at the main character in the end. A gripping, complex mystery. I lost several fingernails reading this.
Rachel
Feb 22, 2014 Rachel rated it really liked it
I listened to this as an audio book. It is a reasonably complex crime story and the characters were well developed. It kept me guessing until the end as to who was behind the murder.
Carol Jean
May 04, 2014 Carol Jean rated it it was amazing
Having read all those Stephen Booth books, I was interested to go back to the Peaks with another detective novelist. Very well done!
Alicia
Jul 06, 2009 Alicia rated it really liked it
Very impressive. Immediately engrossing writing that seamlessly weaves in background story for each character that is almost as interesting as the main plot.
Ingo
Jan 01, 2017 Ingo marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Had this on my wishlist at Amazon.de and sorted for price low to high, this had sunk 100%, being free when I checked it.
Valerie
Apr 25, 2010 Valerie rated it liked it
its a pretty cool book i like has it keeeps u reading to find out what happens later in the book!
Odile
Aug 20, 2011 Odile rated it it was amazing
Loved it!
It kept me guessing and wanted to know who did it.
The main characters are well written and I was interested in and cared about what will or may happen to them.
Mike Brecon
Mike Brecon rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2011
Barbara Nass
Barbara Nass rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2014
M
M rated it really liked it
May 20, 2012
Clare F
Clare F rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2011
Rosie
Rosie rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2013
Betsy
Betsy rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2015
June
June rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2014
joanne jessop
joanne jessop rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2016
Laura Garner
Mar 25, 2016 Laura Garner rated it liked it
Entertaining if a bit melodramatic. I enjoy Templeton's Marjory Fleming series very much.
Susan Wallace
Susan Wallace rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2014
Nancy Dougan
Nancy Dougan rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2016
Jeanie
Jeanie rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2016
Julia
Julia rated it liked it
May 23, 2016
Margie Moran
Margie Moran rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2014
Hannelore Cheney
Hannelore Cheney rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2014
Annie
Annie rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2017
CarolL
CarolL rated it liked it
Dec 06, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Secret Generations (Secret Families, #1)
  • Skeleton Key (Augustus Maltravers, #1)
  • Years of Victory 1802-1812
  • A Killing in Kensington (Patrick Shea Mystery, #2)
  • Grind Joint
  • The Blood Price
  • Darkness and Day
  • Joint Enterprise (The Romney and Marsh Files #3)
  • Danger Close (Riz #2)
  • Girl Gone Missing (Lambert and Hook #11)
  • Fortune Made His Sword
  • Jane Austen and Food
  • Lady In Waiting
  • Sarah Churchill Duchess of Marlborough: The Queen's Favourite
  • The Inquiry Agent
  • Capable of Murder (Belinda Lawrence Murder Mystery, #1)
  • The Point of Death
  • Frederick the Great: King of Prussia
Aline Templeton grew up in the East Neuk of Fife and was educated at St Leonards School, St Andrews and Cambridge University. She has worked in education and broadcasting and has written numerous stories and articles for national newspapers and magazines. Templeton was a bench Justice of the Peace for ten years and is a former Chair of the Society of Authors in Scotland, now living in Edinburgh. S ...more
More about Aline Templeton...