Start by marking “Old Hat, New Hat” as Want to Read:
Old Hat, New Hat

Old Hat, New Hat (The Berenstain Bears Bright & Early)

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  1,432 ratings  ·  67 reviews
Illus. in full color. "Out shopping, the Bears look at frilly and silly hats, bumpy and lumpy ones. Offers slapstick humor and simple concepts of sizes and shape."--School Library Journal.

From the Hardcover edition.
Published February 9th 2011 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Old Hat, New Hat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Old Hat, New Hat

Shannon (Giraffe Days)
The kids love this book, and actually, so do I! I wouldn't mind getting some more of these.

I don't really remember this series of books from when I was a kid, though the bears and style of illustration do look familiar. Can't say if I ever read this when I was a kid, but it's lots of fun and thankfully, one of the few books I honestly don't mind reading over and over again.

The text is very plain - just "new hat" "tall hat" etc, but you can flesh out the story very easily by adding to the narrati
Timothy Browning
Tyresha
‘Too big, Too small’. This book introduces children to different shapes and different sizes. Mr Bear is looking for a new hat because his hat is raggedy and old. He enters a hat shop and tries some on with wonderful different colours and patterns but nothing seems to quite take his fancy until…

The book looks at a situation that the children can relate to for example going shopping and gets them to think about what they like and being able to give their opinions or make their own decisions on ce
Kristen
I rated this one a 5 because I think that's what my almost 2-year-old would rate it if he knew how! He loves loves loves this book. And not just in the toddler way, where they want the same book over and over until they find a new one that they want over and over - this one keeps coming back. I think one of the reasons is that "hat" was one of his first words, so he can "read" along with this book. But he also likes the balloon hat, the silly hat, etc. This is a fun, enjoyable book, and uses lot ...more
Alexrob2012
“Old hat new hat” that’s a good book, its so good that I read it again recently. That book had a few things that I like, like rhymes rhythm and detail. Things like that really make a book or story interesting.

First the rhyme, it was very well thought out. I like the way they combine the rhyme with the details/adjectives. “Too big, too small.” Perfect combinations in a children’s book. And it just flows with the rhythm.

Second the rhythm; I like the rhythm because it just keeps you flowing with th
David Sarkies
This is an attack against the crass consumerism of our age and how the good, faithful, and familiar are at times better than the wonderful new item that is blasted upon advertising logos that are splattered across our vision in our modern cities. The story is about how a young bear, wearing his favourite hat, is wondering through the city and sees a beautiful new hat in the window of a hat story and decides that he wants to get rid of his old tatty hat in favour of something fancy and new.
Howe
Connie
This is one of the earlier Berenstain Bear books, and it shows. Despite the cover, the bears on the *inside* of this book are less stylized and cutesy than the bears in the newer books, and the story is an early reader instead of a longer read-aloud.

It's a cute little story about a cub suffering from "grass is greener" syndrome, but unable to decide which hat to get. Eventually he decides his old one is perfect - you saw that coming!

There are only a few words per page, with a basic vocabulary, s
Professor
Ordered this from my library network sight unseen and, when it came in, realized it was a childhood favorite (and the cause of my love of hats? Maybe.) My son seems to really enjoy it and I enjoy reading it to him.
Angela Hutchinson
A student read this to me during small reading group. This book is an easy reader so it is great for beginning readers.
Heather
A good little book, with the typical fare of big and little. It was okay, I wouldn't buy it.
Lesley
This is a great beginning to read book with simple words and funny pictures!
Robert J
One of my children's favorites.
Carlee Yardley
My number 1 favourite book to read to the kids is Old Hat New Hat! The text is so predictable and they love reading along. "Too big, too small. Too flat, too tall." And maybe because it brings back fun childhood memories. It was always one of my favourite books, along with Are You My Mother! I may be slightly obsessed with old classic children's books and if I can get my kids to like the books I used to like, then I get to relive them all over again!
Salima Hart
This was a cute book about a kid going into a shop looking for a new hat. Although there are little words, there is a numerous story that children can follow. The shop owners find new hats, big hats, small hats, fancy hats...all kinds of hats. In the end, the child decides that she loves her own hat and leaves without buying anything. This is a great story that can be used to teach opposites.
Luz
Great story It reminme at my dad. He has a blanket that he love. The poor blanket is see through. We had tryed to get him a new no such luck. That is what this book remind me. He feels so confortable with that blaket why getting a new one.

Extencion:
Have the children ask their parents if they have something that is very old
and they stull have it.
This is a book straight out of my childhood... complete with a story about me reciting it from memory to a lady who was waiting for a square dancing partner as I looked at her and, in my three year old voice said, "Of course you realize I don't actually read". 32 years later I still can't get enough of "Too fancy too frilly, too shiny too silly".
Anna
Probably my all time favorite book from childhood (either this or "The monster at the end of this book!). And when I was little I had no idea that the book is great for expanding vocabulary which we know is one of the best things you can do to help a child learning to read.
Chelsea Horton
This book is great for younger children. It has a lot of vocabulary that includes colors, sizes, and designs. This is a book that grabs attention and can be read multiple times and still be enjoyed. The hats are silly too, which can bring a smile to readers of all ages.
Kristin
Another one of our collection that is always re-read. I love the lesson that something new doesn't always mean something better! Of course, the silly hat is our favourite! A charming beginner book for young toddlers and a wonderful starter for new readers...
Jones Family
Sep 26, 2008 Jones Family rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anybody who wants to read it
Recommended to Jones Family by: Stephen
Shelves: sam
Old Hat, New Hat is a very good book. There is a bear and he has a very old hat so he is sad. He sees a new hat and he likes it. He goes and tries the hat on. THen he finds just right of a hat - the old hat.
Abbey
Okay, honestly this was the first book I EVER learned how to read, so yea I love it. I don't read it as repeatedly as I used to obviously, I read 'big kid' books now and such.
Melanie
One of the first books we read to our son; and he LOVED it! Easy easy read. Can do lots of expressions with it.

Dr S taught our boy (and girl) to read! Fabulous books.
Meghan
The kids think this book is hilarious! Almost the whole book is just describing the hats with single adjectives (too twisty, too twirly..) and the illustrations are funny!
Michelle Nipoti- straut
Loving

just like I remembered as a kid thanks kindle fire. can't wait to show it to my kids. not the same a turning a paper but still same memories
Jackie Griffiths
A fabulous book for age 4 and age 44! :-) I enjoyed reading it just as much as my twins did. The illustrations are exemplary and are 80% of the book's genius.
Keegan
Adjectives! Both my boys (3-years and 18-months) like this one too. It's simple and would be a good early reader. Also has a cute twist at the end that makes it fun.
Kim Godard
One of the best books to teach children to read. They memorize it quickly, and then it's just a matter of showing them the word while they're saying it.
Minami
This was my favourite book as a small child!! Every time i went to my Grandmas on holiday i would read it to her. This book has a lot of good memories for me.
Sarah Stumphf
This is another great book for toddlers! They'll love all the different hats and help you point them out as you read with little or no encouragement.
Jeremiah
The new favorite among the young citizens in our family. It's silly and teaches sameness, difference, and the quality of the tried and true.
  • Would You Rather Be a Bullfrog?
  • The Boy Who Wouldn't Share
  • Please Try to Remember the First of Octember!
  • Sam and the Firefly
  • The Digging-est Dog (Beginner Books)
  • Baa-Choo!
  • Happy Birthday, Thomas! (Thomas & Friends)
  • Robert the Rose Horse
  • Poppleton In Spring
  • Summer (Beginner Books)
  • Three Little Kittens
  • Biscuit's New Trick
  • I Want to Be Somebody New! (Beginner Books(R))
  • Mouse's First Spring
  • Fred and Ted Go Camping
More about Stan Berenstain...

The Berenstain Bears Bright & Early (9 books)
  • Inside, Outside, Upside Down (Berenstain Bears Bright and Early Board Book)
  • Bears on Wheels
  • The Berenstains' B Book (Bright & Early Books)
  • Bears in the Night
  • C is for Clown
  • He Bear, She Bear
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Spooky Old Tree
  • The Berenstain Bears on the Moon (Bright & Early Books)
The Berenstain Bears and the Messy Room The Berenstain Bears' Trouble at School Inside, Outside, Upside Down (Berenstain Bears Bright and Early Board Book) The Berenstain Bears Forget Their Manners The Berenstain Bears and Too Much TV