Start by marking “Letters To My Grandchildren” as Want to Read:
Letters To My Grandchildren

Letters To My Grandchildren

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  145 ratings  ·  13 reviews
As a diarist I have chronicled the time through which I have lived in meticulous detail: but all that is history. What matters now is the future for those who will live through it.

The past is the past but there may be lessons to be learned which could help the next generation to avoid mistakes their parents and grandparents made.

Certainly at my age I have learned an enormo
Audio CD, Abridged, 4 pages
Published June 3rd 2010 by Audiobooks (first published October 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Letters To My Grandchildren, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Letters To My Grandchildren

Sarah Lameche
At various stages in my life a question often asked was "who would you most like to meet". Friends would say Mother Theresa, Nelson Mandela, Malcolm X. For me it was always Tony Benn. Its a travesty he never became Prime Minister. I truly believe our country would not be in this state If he had been running it. If only the next prime minister would pick up this book and take his advice. Oh well, I can dream..
Reef Al
Tony’s insistence that civilization thrives on rejecting injustices and constantly maintaining the hope of a better and more peaceful tomorrow has been a great motivator for young people, and people in general, to change towards a better world. His vision does not expire at a certain age, nor does it stop at the claims of cynics and pessimists of an unchangeable world. In fact, he says that “by accepting the world as it is you legitimise it and thereby become responsible in part for its iniquiti ...more
Nicky Reed
A slightly mighty little book. I revisited and found it as moving as at first reading. Probably nothing earth-shattering unless you live a good part of your life surrounded by people unable to listen to or hear what others are saying or to take the time to stop and have a good think. And if we share some of those attributes ourselves it may just bring us up a bit short.
Tony Benn's humanity and integrity shine through and express themselves with warmth,compassion,political good sense, clear-think
I quite liked this collection of letters. As they read, they come over as a collection of seemingly random thoughts. One common theme is the impact of politics upon our lives, and how we all suffer if there is no grand vision that is driving us forward. This is a view with which I can wholly agree. In too many cases, we find that people drift into the future because they have no vision of where they want to be. Normally, these are people for whom the future is not very good.

I am not sure that I
Enjoyed this book a lot more than I expected. While not agreeing with all Ben's opinions he certainly provided a cohesive view of what he thinks. Was in particular agreement with his views on the development of the unelected Euro superstate and the dangers of this to us and world and European peace. In complete contradiction to what it was set up to achieve.
A lovely book full of compassion and thought from a man of deep integrity and optimism. Recommended for everyone who thinks and cares about the world we live and the world we want to create. The chapters on the EC in particular gave me - a pro-european - a lot to think about.
Reading Tony Benn's work is akin to having an older relative put his arm around you and say "Chin up, keep working at it". Very inspiring stuff from the last man I fully trusted in British politics. There is a vacuum now in politics, not just of honesty but also of integrity, which are two traits that are different regardless of their apparent similarity. Of course T. Benn would slap me round the head for my lack of hope, but there we are!
An inspirational reflection on life and politics by one of Britain's greatest politicians in history.
Cathy Driscoll
4 stars, if only for the warmth and compassion that shine through the book. The world will miss Tony.
Josh Webber
Full of great letters from one of the good guys of British politics. The three pages of the letter 'Asking difficult questions' is worth the price of the book alone.
Tom Davidson
This man should have been Prime Minister at some time in his carreer.
A true man of the people and a gentleman.
Richard Brown
Confirmation, if any was needed, that Mr Benn is a thoroughly lovely human being.
Matt Melia

Hugely engaging, moving and inspiring.
Mina Wael
Mina Wael marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2015
Andrew marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
Alex marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2015
Erik de Vries Lentsch
Erik de Vries Lentsch marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2015
Chad is currently reading it
Sep 04, 2015
Rich Anderton
Rich Anderton marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2015
Joanna Wands
Joanna Wands marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Jaq added it
Aug 10, 2015
Jacky marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Ben Woods
Ben Woods marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
  • So This is Permanence: Joy Division Lyrics and Notebooks
  • Strange Days Indeed: The 1970s: The Golden Days of Paranoia
  • War Talk
  • Ten Billion
  • Who Are We   And Should It Matter In The 21st Century?
  • Gerhard Richter: Forty Years of Painting
  • The Third Man: Life at the Heart of New Labour
Anthony Neil Wedgwood "Tony" Benn, PC (3 April 1925 – 14 March 2014), formerly 2nd Viscount Stansgate, was a British Labour Party politician. He served as a Member of Parliament from 1951 until 2001, and was a Cabinet Minister under Harold Wilson and James Callaghan in the 1960s and 1970s. After his retirement from the House of Commons, he continued his activism and served as president of the Stop ...more
More about Tony Benn...
The Benn Diaries: 1940-1990 Free at Last! Diaries 1991-2001 A Blaze of Autumn Sunshine: The Last Diaries More Time for Politics: Diaries 2001-2007 Dare to Be a Daniel: Then and Now