Start by marking “Greek Mythology for Teens: Classic Myths in Today's World” as Want to Read:
Greek Mythology for Teens: Classic Myths in Today's World

Greek Mythology for Teens: Classic Myths in Today's World

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  23 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
"Greek Mythology for Teens" takes classical mythology to a new level by relating ancient stories to the culture, history, art, and literature of today. The book uses the innovative approach of reader's theater to teach mythology to teens, asking them to act out the stories and become engaged in a common learning experience. By looking at topics instrumental to both mytholo ...more
Published July 1st 2011 by Prufrock Press (first published June 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Greek Mythology for Teens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Greek Mythology for Teens

Shelley Daugherty
Aug 02, 2011 Shelley Daugherty rated it really liked it
This is a great idea for teaching high school age about Mythology. Each chapter covers a certain theme: The Nature of the Gods, The Loves of the Gods, Teamwork, Wisdom vs. Intelligence, etc. At the beginning of each chapter, there is a play which covers the theme of that section and is a great way to get students engaged in learning by giving them plays to act out. The sections within the chapters are short but informative and the design of the text breaks up themes and encloses each section so ...more
Lindsay
Aug 27, 2011 Lindsay rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I won this in a first reads giveaway. I haven't learned about Greek mythology since grade 8, but I was happy to revisit it. Especially in such a different manner! The book contains scenes to be acted out by students, followed up with supplemental information about each of the myths. I could visualize the entertainment value for students of all ages, although, as an especially shy introvert in high school, the mere thought of actually participating caused me to break out in cold sweats!

The myths
Stephanie
Nov 17, 2011 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this novel from the publisher in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.

Greek Mythology for Teens is a great way to teach today's teens about some of the most popular classical Greek myths. Packed with theme-based stories and activities, Greek Mythology for teens is a great resource for both the home and classroom! Even though I've been studying all things mythology for a few years now, I learned a lot from this guide. It made the less-interesting myths a lot
Dexter
Feb 13, 2012 Dexter rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, nonfiction, mythology
An absolutely fascinating and fun dive into Greek mythology. Even for someone like me who's read up on Greeks and myths, this is interesting. I learned things I never knew before, and this book challenges you to really think about what you've read. It gives you other sources as well, movie adaptations, paintings, music, and literature that all either retell a Greek myth or hold mythological elements.

Zachary Hamby's writing is smooth except for a few phrases like "much different" that rub me the
Melissa
Aug 04, 2011 Melissa rated it really liked it
I like the way this book is set up. This book is worded in such a way that it is extremely easy to understand. There is so much information, yet it is organized to be quick to find what you need to find.

I let my teenager read this book as well, she said it helped her to understand the book The Odyssey a lot better. She understood more about the characters, therefore it was more interesting for her.

Excellent read if you like Greek Mythology!
Brooklyn
Oct 05, 2011 Brooklyn rated it liked it
My dad won this, and he gave it to me to read... because I'm a teenager. So, it isn't exactly what I was was expecting. But it was still good. I thought it would have at least a couple of pages on the Goddesses and Gods instead of a teensy paragraph. But oh well. It was cool how the stories were told in skits. And the look of the overall book was kind of weird.
Jacque
Oct 27, 2012 Jacque rated it really liked it
This was a very interesting book. It is written for teens so that they can learn mythology from Greece.

This book takes Greek myths like narcyssus and puts them into today's language. This makes them easier to read for younger teens. I found it to be very interesting.

I won this book on goodreads.
areadersjournee
Dec 26, 2012 areadersjournee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theater
Great book for introducing students to the classic world of Greek myths!!!
Beatrice Austin
Beatrice Austin marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016
Tessa
Tessa marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
Toni Schmiegelow
Toni Schmiegelow rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2015
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Edie
Edie rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2015
Mitha Kotze
Mitha Kotze rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2015
Victoria
Victoria rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2015
Kayla G.
Kayla G. rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2014
Baerana
Baerana rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2014
Rott (Trela Rottinghaus)
Rott (Trela Rottinghaus) marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Evilienne Werleman
Evilienne Werleman marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Tanya
Tanya rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2014
Susan Fetterman
Susan Fetterman marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Luuzjuarez
Luuzjuarez marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Sierra Johnson
Sierra Johnson marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Nobody Ramirez
Nobody Ramirez rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2014
TMJ
TMJ rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2014