Words Fail Me: What Everyone Who Writes Should Know about Writing

Words Fail Me: What Everyone Who Writes Should Know about Writing

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  264 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Whether you are working on the novel that's been in the back of your mind for years or simply facing an increasing demand to write well at work or school, the fact remains: more and more of us are writing more often these days-reports, e-mails, faxes, and newsletters. But despite the increase in written communication, something has been lost-the fundamentals of good writin...more
Published September 7th 2000 by Mariner Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Words Fail Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Words Fail Me

Shoujo85
** This is a QUICK REVIEW of my thoughts on the book **

Very easy to read. Doesn’t feel old or dated despite being written a dozen years ago. A practical and humorous approach to improving your writing, whether it be fiction or non-fiction.

Has lots of tips (with loads of simple and practical examples) on how to rearrange a perplexing or ambiguous sentence so the meaning becomes crystal clear. This is especially helpful when there are two or more people in a sentence and the ‘his’ (or ‘hers’) get...more
Beckie
"Words Fail Me" is a practical and positively delightful writing book. Patricia O'Conner has a lovely sense of humor, and her style makes even well-known advice sound fresh. One expects much of the author of a writing book, and she delivers.
This book could be a quick read, unless the intention is to absorb all of the advice. The chapters are short and breezy, but they also contain a lot of wisdom. In other words, here's another short book that took a long time to read.
Some of the advice O'Conner...more
Douglas Florian
Patricia O'Connor has a way with words. And it's the right way and a witty way. From "Grammar Moses" to "Revise and Consent" this book steers writers, both green and jaded, to be more clear, engaging and aware in their work.
♥ Ibrahim ♥
This is a book I could read more than once and list as one of my favorites. Imagine a beloved mother teaching you how to write with style and she is coaching you along the way so you don't fall into certain pitfalls by force of habit, and she does it all with such a great sense of humor and full of zest..This is Patricia O'Conner! I love her books and I can just go back to read them over and over again for the fun of it. I feel like I am gleaning a lot and I am making lots of useful notes that w...more
Emily Dy
Jun 18, 2011 Emily Dy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Writers and people who need to do a lot of writing
Shelves: writing
Back when I was still a newbie magazine writer, this book served as my intro to non-academic writing. Not only does O'Conner humorously tackle the major grammatical errors that writers make, she also dedicates a few chapters to issues such as thought organization, research and finding your writing routine.

This book is simple (and painless) enough for anyone to read - not just (beginner) professional writers but also anyone whose job requires him/her to do a lot of writing.

Seasoned writers may fi...more
Jared Caraway

O'Conner's book is as humorous and entertaining as it is informative and helpful. You get the sense that she enjoys the writing process, which counts for a lot (see also: Stephen King's On Writing, Ray Bradbury's Zen in the Art of Writing.

I recommend this for anybody who writes or is considering writing, be it fiction or nonfiction. I am an administrative assistant for the legal department of a large international company, and even though this book has a decidedly fiction-oriented slant, I was s

rabbitprincess
Oct 25, 2009 rabbitprincess rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: writers, editors, word nerds
* * * * 1/2

An excellent guide on writing from a very witty writer. The advice she provides is common sense: use small words, choose strong verbs, vary your sentence length, know your audience, and so on. She also acknowledges when some of her tips might not be as helpful: for example, if you're writing a boring scientific paper, the expected style is long sentences, indirect prose, and five-dollar words. The following anecdote brings that point home:

My husband once helped a French scientist tran...more
Glen Engel-Cox
It's one of life's little ironies that you find yourself engaging in things as you grow older that you hated when you were younger. Maybe hate is too strong a word. It wasn't that I hated grammar, but that I really didn't give it much thought, and felt that time spent in English class doing so was wasted. Since then, I've become not just a writer who wants to be read, but also a teacher of writing, who has to convince his students that grammar is important.

Having resources like this book by O'Co...more
Carrie
Patricia T. O'Conner has a knack for making grammar and all those "boring" things we learned in English class - fun. There were numerous times while reading "Words Fail Me", that my husband rolled his eyes and asked, "Okay, why are you laughing now?" I couldn't help it.

Whether she's discussing the lack of informed semi-colon users, or the importance of manuscript revision, O'Conner has a strong grasp on what separates good writers from truly great ones. I am well aware that I fall on the lower...more
A.
Great book. I don't even write and I love it. Great advice for any writer from high school student to authors!
Chris Proutt
I learned more about writing in the past week with this book than all my years of school
Hera Diani
I wish I read this book in the first days, or at least the first weeks of being a reporter. Maybe I would've been less at lost and stupid hehe.

This book has a lot of of great and simple writing tips, like how to deal with facts, numbers, structures, and so on. It's witty too. I still remember what she said about how, as a writer, we can't, and perhaps shouldn't, please everyone. She said we should just focus on one reader, because "if you open your window too wide, you'll get pneumonia."
Tom
Excellent tips, particularly for those writing brief works, but there are editing tips that apply to virtually anything. I love the laundry list at the end that puts you to work on all the principles she discusses.

I tried to go at this nibbling at a chapter here and there, and I suppose the book works in that sense, but I found I wanted to go through the whole thing. She's witty and entertaining, even if you already are familiar with the principles and tips she presents here.
Lynne Favreau
A great book for beginner writers needing to get down the basics. O’Conner talks the writer through the preparatory stages of the process, the fundamentals needed for basic communication, and offers tips and trick’s to make the process easier. I always need a refresher in grammar when I start a new writing project. This book is humorous, fun and educational even for more experienced writers.
Demi
Covers some very important basics in the game of "how to write the way editors want you to." I come back to books like this every now and then for the reminders. Especially enjoyed the chapter on making your numbers add up--every time I chastise an author for precision in language, I forget to check behind the numbers. See? Something for everyone in this little book.
Xiaomin Zu
It's a pleasant read. But I find myself skimming it all the time. Maybe that's because I'm used to read academic books with condensed information. This is not to say it's loosely structured. Reading academic books feels like running, while reading this book feels like strolling along a coast.
Francine
This book came in handey become i'm writig my first novel and it helped me alot to under stand how to use the words that i needed. I suggest that any ony that is writing a novel read this it will inspire you to great challeges.
Pierced Librarian
It is ridiculous how much I love reading grammar books, and I still can't get the apostrophe rules figured out:)
Words fail Me is one of my favorite "How not to make an ass out of yourself while writing" books.
Steph
Awesome book- O'Conner is entertaining and her advice makes sense. I highly recommend this to any aspiring writers. This book is humorous and educational, but not in the dull, old-fashioned sense of the word. :)
Karen
Witty, helpful, and not just for writers of books.

Recommended for: bloggers, magazine writers, authors, and folks who just like writing and reading about writing.
Avery
A solid read, but mostly pretty obvious stuff that I find comes often from writer's intuition- I'm sure most writing aficionados would agree.
Sara Lane
Call me a geek, but I really liked reading this book. I think it improved my writing skills tremendously!!!!!!!!!
John
A quick read on how to write well. The book offers good reminders on the different ways we fail to write effectively.
Marcela
A helpful resource for improving your writing.It is quick and to the point and certainly not dry.
Alex
Words Fail Me: What Everyone Who Writes Should Know about Writing by Patricia T. O'Conner (2000)
Elizabeth Licata
good overview of positive writing practices, though a little dated in the examples given.
Gillian Martin
Simple, clear and written with a good sense of humor!
Elise
Everything you nee to know about grammar.
  • Spunk & Bite: A Writer's Guide to Punchier, More Engaging Language & Style
  • Writing from the Inside Out
  • Pen on Fire: A Busy Woman's Guide to Igniting the Writer Within
  • The Art of Styling Sentences
  • Writing Mysteries
  • Getting the Words Right
  • The Elephants of Style: A Trunkload of Tips on the Big Issues and Gray Areas of Contemporary American English
  • The New Well Tempered Sentence: A Punctuation Handbook for the Innocent, the Eager, and the Doomed
  • The Pocket Muse: Ideas and Inspirations for Writing
  • Writing Past Dark: Envy, Fear, Distraction and Other Dilemmas in the Writer's Life
  • Thunder and Lightning: Cracking Open the Writer's Craft
  • When You Catch an Adjective, Kill It: The Parts of Speech, for Better And/Or Worse
  • On Writing Romance: How to Craft a Novel That Sells
  • The Courage to Write: How Writers Transcend Fear
  • Writing the Novel: From Plot to Print
  • Making a Literary Life
  • Portable MFA in Creative Writing
Woe Is I: The Grammarphobe's Guide to Better English in Plain English Origins of the Specious: Myths and Misconceptions of the English Language Woe is I Jr.: The Younger Grammarphobe's Guide to Better English in PlainEnglish You Send Me: Getting It Right When You Write Online

“Whenever there's something wrong with your writing, suspect that there's something wrong with your thinking.” 7 likes
“First, you need something to organize: ideas, material, scraps of expertise, recipes, prognostications, anecdotes, scurrilous gossip, anything that might be relevant to what you want to write. And you get this stuff by hoarding it, by faithfully making notes and squirreling them away.” 0 likes