With Child (Kate Martinelli, #3)

With Child (Kate Martinelli #3)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  2,069 ratings  ·  79 reviews
Adrift in mist-shrouded San Francisco mornings and alcohol-fogged nights, homicide detective Kate Martinelli can't escape the void left by her departed lover, who has gone off to rethink their relationship.But when twelve-year-old Jules Cameron comes to Kate for a professional consultation, Kate's not sure she's that desperate for distraction.

Jules is worried about her fri...more
Published March 31st 1997 by Bantam (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about With Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about With Child

Tipping the Velvet by Sarah WatersFingersmith by Sarah WatersAnnie on My Mind by Nancy GardenKeeping You a Secret by Julie Anne PetersFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg
Best Lesbian Fiction
71st out of 947 books — 1,109 voters
With Child by Laurie R. KingGarnethill by Denise MinaBlanche on the Lam by Barbara NeelyThe Reborn by Lin AndersonDriftnet by Lin Anderson
Crime fiction that passes the Bechdel Test
1st out of 25 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Heather
I just gave in and let myself spend the afternoon finishing this book. While I wasn't impressed with every aspect of the writing (sometime the dialogue seemed a little stilted), I ultimately became totally absorbed in the story. I'm impressed with the complexity and depth of the characters and can't wait to read another book in the series. This is the first one I've read -- someone gave me this book a while ago and frankly I was reading it so that I could pass it on or get rid of it -- now I wan...more
Joy
WK
Dec 01, 2008 WK rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: lrk
Emotions run high in this Martinelli book where Kate is unwelcomingly given hard lessons in self realization by her life-partners behavior. In addition her dogged detective skills have never been more important then when Kate is given the responsibility of child-sitting Al new teenage daughter, and she disappears.
Jessica
King crafts her mysteries so much better than most other authors, even though (or maybe because) the mystery isn't an end in itself - it's a lens through which we see the characters grow and wrestle with themselves. A+ as always.
Since her lover Lee is off rediscovering her independence by playing lumberjack with her eccentric aunt, San Francisco cop Kate Martinelli is desperate for distraction. Her young friend Jules, a prodigy with some emotional issues, provides just that: a quest to locate her homeless pal, Dio. This sets of a chain reaction of events that goes on for months and puts Kate through the wringer, physically and emotionally. Really excellent characterization, which is necessary because large chunks of the...more
Suzanne
This was my third book in the series. At first I did not want to read about a child who possibly went missing. I actually skipped this book to read the next one. It really did not affect the story line. But, what I did miss was the development of the character, what made her tick and why. So, then I went back to read this one. I am amazed how much I get to know Kate as a character, how she begins to open up, almost like a developing friendship. At first tentative steps, trust issues, support sys...more
Vickie
I gave this book 5 stars because I could NOT put it down. Halfway through I was completely committed to the plot and stayed up a few hours past my bedtime to finish it. the ending was quite, quite abrupt, which left me a little bit unsatisfied, but I still enjoyed myself up to that point.

I was a bit concerned because I read the first, but not the second, book in this series. Fortunately the jump is not too crazy, and I was able to deduct what had previously occured no problem.

I'm not a fan of th...more
Joan
I read Laurie King many years ago, but liked them enough to go a second round. I accidentally read them out of order, but I think I am now back in synch. I love her characters and the way she writes.

The following is a reviewers review:

I can't think of any moments in recent mysteries that equal the sheer physical and emotional terror of Kate Martinelli's discovery--about halfway through this third book in Laurie R. King's excellent series, now available in paperback--that the 12-year-old girl sh...more
Mmoreira
I enjoy King's Kate Martinelli books - very suspenseful.
Chana
I think I have read this before, it seemed familiar, especially the main characters; Jules the 13 year old girl and Kate the detective.
A lot of this book is actually not a mystery at all, it is more about Kate and her feelings, which is OK but not memorable. Jules is a likeable character, one of the early child techies. btw, the technology in this book is pretty outdated, things have changed a lot in 15 years. Kate doesn't even have a cell phone. But the outdated tech does not spoil the story, t...more
Karin
I love this series too. Great female detective.
Barbara
Couldn't put it down. Literally!
Kelly Holland
love the way Laurie King spins a story.
Richard
This was my first Laurie King book, and by far my favorite. Some authors, you just click with their prose, and King is not one of those writers for me. Bits seem oddly phrased, characterizations seem murky... that's a good word for how her writing strikes me: murky. But it's all a matter of personal taste, of course, and I certainly wouldn't consider her a bad writer. Anyhow, none of my King criticisms really apply here. With Child is full of bright, sympathetic characters and memorable scenes.
Jack Goodstein
Takes awhile before the thriller aspect to kick in, most of the first half of the book is concerned with personal relationships, and a connected but peripheral search for a missing boy. Those of us who have already bought into the characters and their relationships will find the book a winner, others may wonder what the fuss is all about.
Jody
The 3rd in the series of Kate Martinelli. This book is much more emotional the the 1st 2. No spoilers in this review, just a really great, can't put it down mystery. With each book her characters grow and you "know" them, not just as 2 dimensional book characters but as friends. Laurie King combines several plots that all come together nicely in the end. I hated to have to end this book, so I rushed out to the library & fortunately they had the next 2 in the series1
Diane
I'd actually give this book 4.5 stars. King's skill has improved with each Kate Martinelli novel and while I don't care for for Mary Russell series, this character plus the central character of each novel (in this one a young, brilliant teen named Julie) appealed to me immediately. What happens when Julie disappears? Is she the latest victim of a serial killer? Twice the surprise was so shocking that my hand literally flew to my open mouth. I LOVE it when that happens!
LJ
WITH CHILD - Ex
King, Laurie R. - 3rd in Kate Martinelli series

Kate Martinelli, a San Francisco homicide detective, feels rejected by her partner, Lee. Confused, Kate befriends 12-year-old Jules and agrees to care for her while her parents are away. During a visit to Lee, in an area where a serial killer has been victimizing young girls, Jules disappears.

Very good although the protagonist/author seems preoccupied with the homeless. Still, it was a very good read.
Bert Mccollum
As with so many Laurie King books 'With Child' starts out deceptively calm and quiet introducing a set of interesting, attractive characters: their thoughts, feelings, pleasures, anxieties. Then on page 145 with three little words King yanks the ground from beneath the reader's feet as the story turns suddenly, almost unbearably dark and suspenseful. It's like walking through a park on a quiet summer day and, out of nowhere, having a tree fall on your head.
Trina
Strange. The abduction mentioned in every summary and blurb I found about the book doesn't actually happened until over halfway through. The whole first half is just character development and build up. Which is great- except I had read those blurbs. I just kept waiting for something I already knew was going to happen. Once it did, I raced through the rest of the book. Altogether, a great book but reading the back cover first ruins it a bit.
Penny
Well crafted mystery novel.
Michelle
My favorite of the Martinelli series. Kate, lost and alone after her partner Lee deserts her for an island in Washington, befriends her partner's girlfriend's daughter Jules. Their friendship develops around a mystery, and then Jules disappears. The most heart-wrenching of all the Martinelli books and the better for it. My only complaint is there wasn't enough - I wanted a postscript. But that's a great complaint. Highly recommend!!
Mindy
Jules is a genius thirteen yr old who wants more from her family life. When her birth father makes contact and kidnaps her, Inspector Kate Martinelli doggedly pursues every lead until she finally gets Jules friend Dio to give up more clues. Lee spends most of the book trying to "find" herself while Kate tries to deal with the pain of missing her. Luckily Lee emerges just when Kate could use the support. Excellent mystery.
Pat Stearman
Love her writing. Reading the Kate Marinelli series in no particular order but enjoying them anyway!
Jess
I checked this book out from the library three times before I was in the right mood to read it. But as soon as I started, it grabbed me and I ripped through it at top speed. It goes at a breakneck pace, and the mystery evolves very compellingly. Lots of good character development, too, especially between the main character and her romantic partner. This is the strongest Kate Martinelli novel I've read yet.
Sandy
One of the better Kate Martinelli books. Working on finishing this series.
Stacielynn
Another intelligent mystery by Laurie King. It was lacking her usual spark, but I can't put my finger on exactly what was missing. Maybe the plot was a bit far-fetched. SPOILER: The unexpected existence of Jules' father was a little to convenient for my taste. BUt it was still well-written and compelling. I cared about the characters and their fates. I enjoyed the experience of reading this book.
Tory Wagner
I really enjoyed this book which is part of a series about Kate Martinelli series. There was a lot about her troublesome relationship with her lover so it's probably good if you've read the first few books. The mystery involved the disappearance of the daughter of Kate's police partner and took some intersting turns. There are some obvious clues and a few red herrings!
Dev Singer
I admit that I had to take a sneak peak at the end to see if Jules lived or not because otherwise I wouldn't be able to concentrate on services. The suspense in this one is great! Less great if you peak ahead, but I could see where I'd be feeling all the emotions Kate was if I didn't know the ending.
Lynne-marie
I had determined to give the Kate Martinelli series one last try, given that it is so highly praised and so widely read. Again, I found the careful crafting and the deliberate intent. Again, I had to distance myself from the happenings of the plot and the twistings of the psychological play in the characters. I don't think I will read any more. The effort is for naught.
  • Lost Daughters (Micky Knight, #4)
  • Amateur City (Kate Delafield, #1)
  • Everything You Have Is Mine (Lauren Laurano, #1)
  • Stay (Aud Torvingen #2)
  • Killing Critics (Kathleen Mallory, #3)
  • Califia's Daughters
  • Blanche Cleans Up
  • The Sleeping Partner (Sarah Tolerance, #3)
  • Till the Butchers Cut Him Down (Sharon McCone, #15)
  • Honor Reclaimed (Honor, #5)
  • Kissed a Sad Goodbye (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #6)
Edgar-winning mystery writer Laurie R. King writes series and standalone novels. Her official forum is
THE LRK VIRTUAL BOOK CLUB here on Goodreads--please join us for book-discussing fun.

King's most recent novel The Bones of Paris sees Touchstone's Harris Stuyvesant and Bennett Grey find the darkness beneath the light of 1929 Paris. In the Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes series, a brilliant teen bec...more
More about Laurie R. King...
The Beekeeper's Apprentice (Mary Russell, #1) A Monstrous Regiment of Women (Mary Russell, #2) O Jerusalem (Mary Russell, #5) A Letter of Mary (Mary Russell, #3) The Language of Bees (Mary Russell, #9)