Protecting Plain Jane

Protecting Plain Jane (The Precinct: SWAT #2)

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  162 ratings  ·  17 reviews

Ten years ago quiet heiress Charlotte Mayweather was abducted and held for ransom...but when she was targeted a second time, SWAT officer Trip Jones vowed to protect her. The damaged beauty was slow to trust, but even she couldn't deny the tender bond forming between her and her handsome bodyguard. Trip was determined to keep Charlotte alive and help her face her life-alte...more
Published March 1st 2011 by Harlequin Intrigue (first published February 9th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Protecting Plain Jane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Protecting Plain Jane

Lynne Marshall
I discovered Julie Miller last year, loved her writing, and got all excited when I saw this book. I realize I am coming into the middle of a series, but Protecting Plain Jane is a stand alone book. Charlotte is what we call a tortured heroine, which is a nice change from the usual tortured hero. How can you not love a heroine who sports red hightops and glasses? Trip - triple J - is a big galoot (and thanks to Ms. Miller for giving me the opportunity to use that word in regards to a hero) with h...more
Jacqueline
I enjoyed this book about a reclusive heiress with a few mental problems along the lines of panic attacks and trust issues left over from being kidnapped as a teenager. The KCPD SWAT member who falls in love with her while protecting her from a serial killer is also a slightly different type of character. He is 6'5" and is dyslexic so he has had to overcome the label of big and dumb to get where he is. The story is fast moving and I liked the relationship between the two. It was fairly believabl...more
RLA
The heroine Charlotte is a very intelligent and wealthy heiress, yet she hides away due to the horrors she went through when she was kidnapped and tortured when she was 17. She still suffers from flashbacks, nightmares and anxiety, as a result she has to be in complete control of every aspect of her life. Recently there has been attempted and actual murder of other heiresses in the area, and the perpetrator has been dubbed 'The Rich Girl Killer', and when Charlotte's bodyguard is killed and Char...more
❃* Hache *❃
I really liked this book. The Hero in this was absolutely swoon worthy, I swear everything he said to the heroine I just awed and grinned till my face hurt.

some of his lines

“You’re my only concern, Charlotte. What I say to you will always be the truth. I’ve got your back. I won’t hurt you. And I won’t let you get hurt.”

“I never want to do anything that makes you look at me with fear in your eyes again. That tears me up inside. I’d rather take a bullet than see you crying or afraid of me again.”

Taylor Michaels
Ten years ago, Charlotte Maywether was abducted and held for ransom. Haunted by recurring anxiety attacks from the experience she maintains a hold on her sanity with carefully controlled routines among close circle of employees and family and the presence of her dog, Max.

While she is working alone at the family’s museum, a second abduction attempt is made. Charlotte contacts her best friend, who is a fiancé of a SWAT team member, and Trip Jones is sent to Charlotte’s rescue.

With the Charlotte’s...more
Rjsmommy
It's kind of strange...I'm reading this whole series backwards. I started with the latest one, "Protecting the Pregnant Witness" (#4) which I liked and went in search of the others. Now I've just finished this one (#3 in the series) and am searching for the others. This one was on par with PTPW, the leads are likable, Charlotte and Tripp make a good couple. Charlotte has multiple psyche issues stemming from a previous abduction episode and Tripp still has residual insecurities from when he was a...more
namericanwordcat
This was good read that was hampered by the category romance formate a bit. There is so much action we lose couple time and that is a bummer because the two leads are wonderful characters.

The love story is overwhelmed by the mystery in several places but it is still an enjoyable read with a gentle giant SWAT hero and heroine who is very strong and loving.
Nina
Harlequin’s Intrigue

Protecting Plain Jane by Julie Miller ( The Precinct: swat series)
If you read only one mystery this year, let this one be it. I guess I could quote the prologue here, ( no author’s permission) but after reading that, I was hooked.
Rebecca Crowley
I loved the quick pace, meaty action, and genuine suspense in this novel, almost as much as I loved the quirky and fresh characters: a heroine with a panic disorder, and a dyslexic hero. A really fun and satisfying read.
Debbie Heaton
A woman with a traumatic past, a SWAT team member determined to protect her with his life--kidnapping, betrayal, secrets, murder, and a serial killer. And to top it all off, romance. A perfect story.
Noelle Walsh
This book was good. As has been usual, I read it in one sitting. I enjoyed reading it.
Marcella
I really liked this story...it was one of great adventure and understanding
Annie
I think this is Ms. Miller's creepiest story to date. I really enjoyed it.
Heather L
Apr 27, 2011 Heather L rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Heather L by: Latesha
Liked this one, but - ARGH! She ended on a cliffhanger again. Sigh...
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: The Precinct: SWAT
Category: Suspense
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: The Precinct: SWAT
Sherron
Sherron marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Tristi Palmer
Tristi Palmer marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Chris Huntley
Chris Huntley marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
ScarlettWolf
ScarlettWolf marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Nita Fosmore
Nita Fosmore marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
  • The Secret of Cypriere Bayou (Shivers, #5)
  • Branded
  • Alpha One (Shadow Agents, #1)
  • Sex, Lies and Mistletoe (Undercover Operatives, #1)
  • Dangerous Memories
  • Caught on Camera (Harlequin Blaze #608)
  • Falcon's Run (Copper Canyon, #4)
  • The Contaxis Baby
  • Stranded with Her Ex
  • Cry of the Wild
  • Colorado Abduction (Christmas at the Carlisles, #1)
  • Gabriel Hawk's Lady (The Protectors, #9) (Silhouette Intimate Moments, #830)
  • Undercover Princess (Royally Wed, #2)
  • The Portrait
  • Breathless Descent (Harlequin Blaze, #614)
  • Front Page Engagement (Park Avenue Scandals #2)
  • Fearless
  • Undone by His Touch

Julie Miller is an award-winning, USA TODAY bestselling author of breathtaking romantic suspense--with a National Readers Choice Award and two Daphne du Maurier awards among other prizes. In 2009 she earned an RT BookReviews Career Achievement Award. Many of her more than...more
More about Julie Miller...
Protecting the Pregnant Witness (The Precinct: S.W.A.T. Team, #3) Beauty and the Badge (The Precinct, #11) The Marine Next Door (The Precinct Task Force, #1) Man with the Muscle (The Precinct: S.W.A.T. Team,#1) Takedown (The Precinct, #12)