Darkest Hour (Cutler, #5)

Darkest Hour (Cutler #5)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  5,665 ratings  ·  50 reviews
Growing up on the thriving plantation called The Meadows, Lillian Booth cherishes the brightest, happiest dreams....

Lillian's world is full of grand parties, of sunshine and promises, as thrilling as the fairy tales Mama spins for her and her little sister, Eugenia. No one, not even her cold, stern Papa and her Bible spouting sister Emily, can crush her spirits -- until th...more
Published February 8th 2011 by Pocket Books (first published January 1st 1993)

Vette32
I liked this book. However, it did nothing to help justify "Grandmother" Cutler's ultimate rise from a sweet, caring girl to a cold bitch. I didn't have any idea why she became the way she did in later books towards Dawn, when she had suffered through so much as a young girl herself. I never understood if she hated Dawn so much, why did she name her Eugenia, after the young sister she loved so much?
Andrea Ventura
The author's purpose in writing the book is to entertain but also to somehow inform the readers. In the book Darkest Hour, the author shows the life of a wealthy family and how they lived their lives each day. The book mostly talks about the life of one of the family members, Lillian. Lillian is a girl full of hopes, dreams, and happiness; she is also a very smart and beautiful girl as we see in the book "I wouldn't be quite five when the school year began. She's so bright." We also see in this...more
Sapheron
Rated it four because I thought it was the best in the series. But it makes absolutely no sense that the sweet little girl I cried tears for grew up into Grandmother Cutler. It doesn't even seem as though a HUGE chunk of story was missing that would explain her change because there isn't much else one person can live through, and her past hadn't changed her so significantly by the end of the book save to make her smarter.
I have to look at this book as something separate from the other books, dis...more
Kim Smiley
Princess Consuela
Once again, as in other books in this series, I have found minor discrepancies in the story, which annoy the heck out of me. I mean, come on, you can't get someone to thoroughly proofread your book? But besides that, I was also very disappointed by the fact that this book did not really explain to us our Lillian turned into evil Grandmother Cutler. Yes, she's been through a whole lot of s**t in her life, but even at the end of the book, she still seemed to be a kind hearted individual. What happ...more
Jacquie
Lillian grows up in a seemingly normal household. What she didn't know was that there was a secret. Her cold sister Emily insists that she is a curse upon the family and nerve misses an opportunity to say so. As more tragedies fall, Lillian's life gets more horrible.

It was a pretty entertaining book. It was easy to sympathize with Lillian. So many bad things happened to her that I actually got angry at times. The author definitely channels to mind of a young girl. She writes passages that make y...more
Bradley
Repugnant. Repugnant. Repugnant. I wanted to see why my wife totally refused to read any books by this author. I was sickened all the way through this story. Child abuse, incest, and bitter tragedy. Avoid this book at all costs. It might make you throw up with disgust. It took me three days to finish.. which is very slow for me.
Megan Tiscareno
I just have to say that I had an unhealthy obsession with VC Andrews books and the Cutler series was the second series that I really read. I loved them, but at the same time, the aspects of the books I enjoyed as a young teen, looking back now were much too adult and so cookie cutter with most of the Andrews series.
Yolanda
As I said before: Mama, I love the drama! This kind of book is my guilty pleasure.
Tasha Moulton
Look forward to reading more from this author --- appears to have tons to choose from!
Connie J.estrada
WHAT I HATED ABOUT THIS BOOK, IS HOW AT FIRST LILLIAN BOOTH HAS A SWEETER LOVING SIDE. IT IS SHOWN WITH HOW MUCH SHE LOVES EUGINA, AND WANTS TO SPARE HER FROM ANY DISCOMFORT IN TELLING HER THAT THEY ARE NOT BLOOD SISTER. WHAT THE BOOK NEVER SAYS IS HOW DID EMILY BECOME SO FALSELY RELIGIOUS. MAYBE FALSELY IS THE WRONG WORD, I THINK IT IS HOLLIER THAN THOUGH ATTITUDE. SHE WEILED THE BIBAL AGAINS EVERYTHING SWEET AND INOCENT THAT OLIVA LOVED. MAYBE SHE WAS JELOUS OF THE FACT THAT HER OWN MOTHER LOV...more
Delicious Strawberry
This was actually the first VCA book I ever read. I didn't even know a ghostwriter was involved in this or that VCA was dead. I found out soon enough. but I enjoyed this book nonetheless and wanted more.

Naturally, this started me off on VCA. At that point, the Logan series wasn't yet finished. The first few books I read were not in order, but now, having read ALL of the VCA books from the Dollangangers through the Logans, I am very happy that happy chance delivered this book into my lap!

While so...more
Cassie
This book... I don't know. I didn't dislike it in the slightest, but I didn't like it as much as I usually do VCA books.

I think the aspect that mostly preventing me from really enjoying this book is that we already knew the major plot events before even getting to this book. (*Potential spoiler, if you haven't read the previous books*) We already knew that Eugenia was going to die, we knew she was going to get raped by her uncle/father. We knew they were going to pretend Charlotte belonged to he...more
Andrea Morris
And here it is, ladies and gentlemen: the fifth book. The fifth book is why you even get involved with a series by Andrews. Here, we learn why cruel hearted grandmother Cutler was a mean old woman. It is for the fifth book that you push yourself through the lovey dovey second book, and the mediocre third and fourth books! Here, Lillian Booth, is from a rich line of Southern plantation owners. She has two sisters, Emily and Eugenia. We learn Emily is a sweet, but sickly child, while older sister,...more
Aicha Frikha
the most disturbing book i read in my teen years :)
Katherine
I read this when I as FARRRRRRRR far too young. And that's saying something considering I think I'm pretty lax when I recommend what ages would be fine reading some of the books I recommend.

I'll give this 4 stars because it isn't perfect, but I'm extremely nostalgic considering I used to hide this under my bed at night >_<
Patricia Atkinson
This book tells the story of Lillian from the time she was born.It talks about her growing up on the plantation and her life with her sisters and parents.How she left the plantation and why she was the way she was.the book to explain how it all began.....
Anne
A good book about Grandmother Cutler's life growing up in The Meadows. The saddest part of the book was when her boyfriend Niles fell to his death, visiting her when she couldn't leave the confines of her room. It would have been interesting to read what was going on in her mind when Eugenia (Dawn) was born and the subsequent kidnapping.
Kimberly
VC Andrews has always been a favorite of mine since my childhood days. I have read (and re-read) all of her books, and although I am much older now and find that some of her work is better than others, I still enjoy the twists and turns, strangeness and mystery that continues to captivate my interest. (even some of the ghostwriter's work)
Ayn Gayares
It's the first novel I've actually bought and read, when I was 10. So given the endless even-ifs, I appreciated it a lot. Couple that with reading it with Michelle Branch's first album, the emotions dug deep in my inside, I couldn't cry. I read the other books of the Cutler series, and this was the best. I hope I read it last.
Jean
This is the story of Lillian Cutler. After reading the first four books, I was ready to learn more about Christie. Instead, the author takes us back to the beginning. After I got over my initial disappointment, I found I enjoyed the tactic and the story line. The ending was a little abrupt.
Tanya
What time is it ? Midnight in a Perfucked world !!! What Time is it ? Fucked thirty times and always Forgotten ... What time is it ? It's a backstab to get a Watch . What time is it... OH I don't know.. Suckas Clock a LUcky Won When Wood is What They Smoke a Lot.
Erin Scott
This was a typical VC Andrews book, the main character has every possible tragedy happen to them. It became comical to see what would happen next, not to mention veyr predictable. An easy read, if you need some fluff between actual literature.
Erin
This was a horrible book. It's a good example of how someone can write stories, not literature. I can see why Andrews has a following though - even though I hated the book the whole way through I had to finish it to find out what happens.
Jessica Banker
The cutler series is a wonderful drama series by vc andrews. she knows how to twist a tail of deception lies lust love drama sadness fear and many other emotions. you will know the main character as if she was you... quite enjoyable!
Lauren Gommert
One of the better V.C. Andrews books. Entertaining, though predictable, this story is full of the usual sex, innocence, incest, and evil-religious spewing people that have plagued the other Andrew books. Worth a read if you're a fan.
Alejandra L.
Jun 28, 2007 Alejandra L. rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: grocery store romantics.
This was the first V.C. Andrews novel I ever read... and although it's not necessarily by her, it's definitely authored in her vein of writing. The Dawn series was interesting in itself; it's probably my favorite of all the ones I've read.
Kimmy

Got so ridiculous it was laughable, how many bad tho ga can happen to a person!!!! Also it did nothing to show why Lillian turned into the nasty evil grandmother. Trouble is now all v Andrews books seem the same.
Julie
Re-reading this series was very fun. Quick reads, great for summer. Brought me back to the days as a teenager when I would read for hours on end to find out what scandal occurred or who was betrayed next.
  • Beach Party (Point Horror, #8)
  • When the Wind Blows
  • The Dance (Final Friends, #2)
  • Deceptions (Sweet Valley High, #14)
  • Poor Mallory! (Baby-Sitters Club #39: Collector's Edition)
  • Lady Boss
  • The Long Road Home
  • Forbidden Land (The First Americans, #3)
Virginia Cleo Andrews (born Cleo Virginia Andrews) was born June 6, 1923 in Portsmouth, Virginia. The youngest child and the only daughter of William Henry Andrews, a career navy man who opened a tool-and-die business after retirement, and Lillian Lilnora Parker Andrews, a telephone operator. She spent her happy childhood years in Portsmouth, Virginia, living briefly in Rochester, New York. The An...more
More about V.C. Andrews...
Flowers in the Attic (Dollanganger, #1) Petals on the Wind (Dollanganger, #2) If There Be Thorns (Dollanganger, #3) Seeds of Yesterday (Dollanganger, #4) Garden of Shadows (Dollanganger, #5)

“What if I am a curse?" "Then you're the prettiest and nicest curse I know.” 3 likes
“I realize we lose our innocence in many ways, the most painful being when we realize those who are supposed to love us and care for us more than anything, really care for themselves and their own pleasures more. It's painful because it makes you realize how alone you really are.” 3 likes