Start by marking “The Beautiful Days of My Youth: My Six Months In Auschwitz and Plaszow” as Want to Read:
The Beautiful Days of My Youth: My Six Months In Auschwitz and Plaszow

The Beautiful Days of My Youth: My Six Months In Auschwitz and Plaszow

On scraps of paper hidden by friends and strangers until their dying moments, young Ana Novac kept a diary in Auschwitz, a testimony that deserves to become one of the most treasured books of our time.

Published September 15th 1997 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Beautiful Days of My Youth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beautiful Days of My Youth

Julia
Apr 26, 2013 Julia rated it it was amazing
If you've ever read The Diary of a Young Girl and felt like you'd like to read more about that time and age, The Beautiful Days of My Youth is the book for you. But be prepared for a story that will take your breath away and probably break your heart as well.
Ana Novac survived Nazi Germany. She said she thinks that maybe she's immortal. Because she went through so much and still never died. This is the story of a survivor.
And maybe the reason why she survived was her writing. She managed to get
Susan
Jul 27, 2008 Susan rated it really liked it
Moving story of life for one who lived through the the Hallocaust. Some of my favorite quotes from the book that tells the sickening story and survival of Ana Novac.

"... tears are the first thing to dry up."

"Nothing stimulates the imagination like hunger."

"The idea occurs to me that beggars aren't aware of their humiliation, or don't care about it. It exists only in the minds of the well fed."

"When does the silence between to people begin to 'smell' sneaky? At what point do you start to dodge yo
Dymphie
Jan 29, 2012 Dymphie rated it liked it
Enigszins cynische beschrijving van de persoonlijke ervaringen gedurende de maanden die een 16jarig meisje in de concentratie kampen doorbracht.
Ze kan beslist schrijven, al is dit de zeer geeditte versie van zeer veel jaren daarna. Gruwelijk natuurlijk. Ze heeft het overleeft omdat ze -al in dat woord hier niet op zin plaats- af en toe geluk gehad heeft dat iemand zich enigszins over haar ontfermde. En een karakter heeft dat zeer goed kan doorzetten. Mogelijk heeft ze gelijk, en is het juist om
Sabrina
Jan 04, 2015 Sabrina rated it liked it
While it was interesting, I thought that it was very confusing... It gives insight into a different part of the concentration camps. A lot of the women were killed upon entrance to the concentration camps, but obviously, some made it through. It seems to me that they were treated nicer than the men, but they were still exposed to suffering that no human should ever have to experience.

About 400 pages are missing from her account of the concentration camps, and that makes this a very confusing bo
Adessa18
Mar 05, 2016 Adessa18 rated it it was amazing
As a librarian, I see a lot of books go through my hands. I'll be the first to admit that there are some books that look better to me than others. As soon as I saw this book I KNEW I had to read it. I cannot even begin to describe the roller coaster of feelings I went through while reading it. The end was very abrupt, but the Epilogue helped to give a better sense of closure. I consider myself a very empathetic person so some of this book was very difficult for me read, but I COULD NOT stop. It ...more
Neil Mudde
Nov 22, 2012 Neil Mudde rated it it was ok
I think what turned me off the book, was this endless comparison to The Diary of Anne Frank's, Schindler's list, etc, it is a well written story, it simply did not grab me, some thoughts seemed incomplete, now I realize the book was written from notes of which some were in bad condition.
I cannot begin to imagine or comprehend the horrors of life in a concentration camp, as well one needs to be careful, not to be considered an Anti Semite, as only those persons who survived these horrors would kn
Bruce
Through luck,divine providence or just being in the right place at the right time with others to help her this young girl was able to survive the WW II holocaust. Somehow the scraps of paper and notebooks on which she kept her journal survived or enough of them survived for her to reconstruct the time she spent in concentration camps. It is a relatively quick read and though written with a light touch the horror of the treatment of a minority by a brutal majority (not just the perpetrators, but ...more
Grace
Apr 25, 2013 Grace rated it it was amazing
I did a book report on this in fifth grade and it's interesting to see how my perceptions have changed. As an 11 year old, I was mostly impressed with how she preserved her diary through memorization and hiding scraps of paper in her shoes, now I focused more on the words. I don't understand how this is not more known.
Clare
Mar 24, 2012 Clare rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE :)
Shelves: finished
This book was very easy to read. I find many holocaust books to be heavy (and rightfully so...) but Ana Novac found a way to keep it light. Her writing style is beautiful, playing on my emotions without me expecting it.
Jun 23, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it
It's hard to rate this book, because it's really someone's personal journal that somehow (mostly) survived 6 months at Auschwitz and other internment camps. It was an interesting perspective into the mind of a teenage girl in a horrible situation. Sad and enlightening. A quick and easy read.
Pat Richards
Jul 04, 2013 Pat Richards rated it did not like it
While this book should have been great, it failed miserably.
Very disjointed.
I could read all the words, and I could read all the sentences, it just didn't tell much of a story. Especially for a true account.
Deborah
In the four-page author's foreword, she looks back at her childhood/adolescent self who started writing during two years in a convalescent sanatorium, where she wrote to her mother in the form of a journal "in a place where besides meals, the only events were your thoughts."
Shelley Van belleghem

verschrikkelijk wat hier gebeurde maar het boek kon me niet raken en ik geraakte er ook helemaal niet in.
Amanda
Aug 14, 2015 Amanda rated it liked it
Quick read...a little difficult to follow at times as far as dates / places go. At the end there is an appendix that elaborates on specifics (dates / places) mentioned in the diary.
Monika Štěpková
Jan 02, 2015 Monika Štěpková rated it liked it
Deník čtrnáctileté slečny z koncentračních táborů. Věku slečny odpovídá i vyprávění. Ana byla v deníku jednou z těch, kteří neměli nasazené růžové brýle, ale kteří viděli.
Joanna Hemmer
Joanna Hemmer rated it it was amazing
Oct 25, 2012
Kim
Kim rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2011
Christina Baehr
Christina Baehr rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2014
Krümeltee
Krümeltee rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2015
Denise
Denise rated it it was ok
Mar 27, 2015
Lupi07
Lupi07 rated it really liked it
May 28, 2016
Gabby
Gabby rated it it was ok
Oct 08, 2014
Katie
Katie rated it liked it
May 31, 2012
Marie Ravnmark
Marie Ravnmark rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2015
MaridelCarmen
MaridelCarmen rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2012
Monika
Monika rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2015
Makensie
Makensie rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2011
Jennifer rated it liked it
Nov 01, 2009
Natasha
Natasha rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2013
  • Children in the Holocaust and World War II: Their Secret Diaries
  • Helga's Diary: A Young Girl's Account of Life in a Concentration Camp
  • The Arabs and the Holocaust: The Arab-Israeli War of Narratives
  • Salvaged Pages: Young Writers' Diaries of the Holocaust
  • Fighting for American Manhood: How Gender Politics Provoked the Spanish-American and Philippine-American Wars
  • I Remember Nothing More: The Warsaw Children's Hospital and the Jewish Resistance
  • Terrorist Hunter

“In the daytime, I know that they're (Russians) close. But at night, my optimism abandons me, I buckle. The night is German, and who am I against the night?” 4 likes