Wrestling with Love (Wrestling #2)

Wrestling with Love (Wrestling #2)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  372 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Derek Thompson and Scott Thayer met in high school. Facing challenges and overcoming obstacles that would make lesser young men fold, they now have the chance to forge a life together. As they enter college, they finally have the time and space to discover each other sexually and give their virginity to each other. However, in spite of the erotic thrill of exploration, the...more
ebook, 2nd Edition, 224 pages
Published February 15th 2011 by Ai Press (first published February 14th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Wrestling with Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wrestling with Love

❧Gwen❤❦
All grown up~

off to college~

and still so very much in love!

I don't think I ever get enough of these two❤
Nerine Petros
Wrestling with Love is a novel set against the backdrop of University and the promise of a fresh start to a wonderful future with your first love. Scott and Derek have finally finished senior year on a high, both academically and personally, but that doesn't mean that everything from here on will be a bed of roses. Not missing a beat, the realities of their relationship start to become clear very early on and there's no sense fighting it, from here on in you're hooked.

When it comes to his father...more
Arthur
This book has been on my TBR list for very long, and I am aware of it. Just needed time to read it.

I like the way the author deals with coming out issue. It's deeply personal choice. We often find ourselves saying, "sex is personal choice" and other liberal jargon that argue against social and family pressures, but we don't find it ironical when we want to press a character to come out when he/she's not ready. This novel treats the issue nicely.

D.H. Starr writes beautiful friends-to-lovers stor...more
Don Bradshaw
Not as good a book as Wrestling With Desire. I found it hard to believe that two healthy, horny eighteen year olds were putting off sex instead of screwing like rabbits. I enjoyed Derek's final conclusion on coming out. The angst factor was a bit too high for me but I am not much for heavy angst. The book could have used much finer editing as there were several glaring mistakes that could have easily been caught. Derek's parents were just awesome. It really is true that most gay teen's mothers...more
Elisa Rolle
People warned me about this novel telling me it was way more “explicit” then the previous one, Wrestling with Desire, where Derek and Scott were high school students and the novel had more the flavour of a Young Adult.

And indeed when I started the book, Derek and Scott were planning their moving together to Boston University, sharing a dorm room together and starting their life as a couple. Of course they were also planning to move on a higher step in their relationship, i.e. having sex. Strange...more
Mary
Reward of Courage was a sweet and exciting story about two young men whoa re fiercely in love. As a straight woman and mother of a gay son who is about the same age as Derek and Scott, I felt drawn in and enlightened as I delved into the minds of these characters. While most of the story is told from Derek's point of view, DH Starr managed to show Scott's feelings and emotions though his actions and dialogue.

I found their differing approaches to entering college and being out fascinating and the...more
Emma Sea
Terrible book. I only made it 40% through: I just couldn't take the writing any longer.

The premise was good, and the MCs were both believable, but every other character is a 2D sterotype, and not one line of dialogue rang true.

Example, from midway through the book, as Derek phones his BFF:

"Beck, is something the matter? You sound really weird."

"Right there. What was that Derek?"

"I asked if everything's alright?"

"Oh my God. That's it, what you're doing to my clit . . ." Derek threw the phone aw
Will Parkinson
I fell for Scott and Derek in Wrestling With Desire. I was so excited when I heard there was a sequel. DH Starr takes the boys to college, and things heat up between them when another young man tries to force his way into their relationship.

I love these boys. I can't wait for another round.
Lauren
I'm rating Wrestling with Love at 3.5 stars because as much as I adore Derek and Scott, I didn't enjoy this one quite as much as the first book (which I absolutely LOVED). It was still a nice read, but I felt like it dragged in a few places. However, the sex scenes were great, and just like before I really loved Scott and Derek's relationship. This book was certainly not a young adult novel like Wrestling with Desire, and turned into the more grown-up m/m that I'm used to.
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
4 stars because i mostly liked it but Derek was annoyingly stupid a lot and it started off really slow IMO but other than that I enjoyed it
Gwendolyn
Dialogue felt very unrealistic at times.
T.
Wow! What a great read!!! Derek Thompson and Scott Thayer are the heroes in our story by Mr. Starr. They just finished high school and are preparing for their first year of college. They are also in love with each other. I say that here because if you have any problems with M/M, Gay characters, this isn't the book for you. However, if what you really care about is a really good story, then this book needs to be on your list to read if you haven't read it already!

Coming of age stories aren't alwa...more
Gerry Burnie
Gerry B's Book Reviews - http://www.gerrycan.wordpress.com

This is the second of a series by D. H. Starr, the first I’ve read, but Wresting With Love [Ai Press, 2011] is a stand-alone story and a good place to start.

The basic story, written in third-person narrative style, explores the relationship between two gay young men, Derek and Scott, as it matures from high school into college. Although they both love each other very much, they have quite different attitudes. Derek wants to express his lo...more
Hans Hirschi
I love this book. I love it when a sequel is better than the first novel. I guess it might be that the characters are portrayed as slightly more mature or maybe it is because it's easier to compare yourself to adults than high school boys? It's probably me…

The storyline is cute, simple and mostly about the inner process of coming out, coming to terms with sex (what you like and what not), what it means to be in a relationship, love (the title is totally accurate). I love that the book never once...more
Debbie
This is an official review from The Romance Reviews

Wow, what a book. This is one awesome story. It is sexy, exciting and emotional all rolled into one. The love between the young men is so real and so believable. I first smiled and then laughed. I cried and I got angry. Every emotion in me was brought forth and I won't soon forget the journey I took while reading this book.

I have to say Wrestling with Love is an absolutely wonderful story of romance, passion and courage. The journey Derek and...more
Wendy (wluvsbooks)
Scott and Derek are just too cute! It was great seeing the progression of their relationship emotionally and physically. The story was written in such a way that it sounded age appropriate – meaning that the dialogue and actions easily fit boys in the 18/19 yr age group. There were definitely some things that came across as youthful thinking and actions and other things that showed flashes of great maturity.

I always had this sense of foreboding while reading the story – just waiting for the maj...more
Elci
This is a sequel to Wrestling with Desire (loved that book). We meet up with Scott and Derek as they're about to embark on their new adventure - going to university. I found this book really slow at the start, to the point that I confused the two guys. Scott was the shy one (he didn't want anyone to know he was gay and had a boyfriend). In contrast to Derek, who joins The Alliance, and is quite ready to let the world know he's gay and in love. I liked both guys as they learned to compromise and...more
Raechel
I got so excited thinking this was another book but it's the same one I read with a different title and cover. I love this cover so much.

Here's the review I wrote for the other title/cover.

Oh wow. I just finished this book. I couldn't put it down. It was emotional, sexy, and exciting all wrapped up in one awesome story. The love between Derek and Scott was so real and raw, even when they were facing challenges in their relationship.

I have to say, Scott was so sexy. I love a man who sticks up fo...more
CoffeeTimeRomance andMore
Wrestling With Love is no different for anyone out there just dipping their toes into the dating pool. Love is hard no matter the hearts involved, and these two wrestle with their relationship from the very start. The struggle of these two characters will wreck your heart and hope the two will keep it all together, or at least find happiness in whatever form. I thoroughly enjoyed the characters and I recommend you give D.H Starr and Wrestling With Love a read.

Delane
Reviewer for Coffee Time Roman...more
Raechel

I have to say, Scott was so sexy. I love a man who sticks up for his partner. It's just really hot when a guy does that.

I love reading books that are both believable and exciting. I could see this story really happening and my God how I'd love to have...more
Snowtulip
Apr 08, 2011 Snowtulip rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Snowtulip by: juana darkeness duran
3.5 - 4.0
I really like Scott and Derek, they are amazing and sweet together. This book focused on identity, who you are and what that means and how that is projected to others. I enjoyed seeing the journey as Scott and Derek learn from others and each other. There were definately moments in the book when I wanted to scream at Derek, but I got through those. The New York trip was one of the most wonderful scenes I've read, I loved the feel, sensitivity and love that came through the pages. A good...more
CB
Loved, loved, loved these characters. I read the first book "Wrestling with Desire" even though I was a little leery about reading a romance between high school boys but it was really good. This book just kept the wonderful story going as the boys go through college. I found it hard to put the book down and am so sorry to have to say goodbye to these amazing and well-developed characters.

I will definitely be looking for more books from this author. A great way to spend my leisure time and money...more
Lb
Jul 28, 2012 Lb rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
I'm sorry this book is just not for me. I love stories about coming out and learning about being gay, but Derek and Scott were just not realistic. This is the problem i had when reading the first book. I find it hard to believe that an 18 year old had that much insight into themselves at that age (i didn't, nor did any of my friends). So even though it ended fine i didn't enjoy reading this and that makes me really sad.
Alian345
Excellent - well developed characters. I shall miss Scott and Derek. I hope there will be future book(s) outlining their future progress. I also hope the unfortunate Tyrell gets some serious help for his problems.

Mr Starr - you are a very perceptive writer with a deep understanding of and empathy with your characters, who jump out of the page. All the best to you from Scotland.
melek
Derek and Scott starting college and all they can think of is that day when they intimate. Derek cant wait scott wants to but both are struggling with-some confusing and feelings, but still in love that is not the problem. Derek wants to be out and proud but Scott wants to be private.This cause problem will they over come it and be strong as ever.
Joy
Mar 13, 2012 Joy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
Story decent enough if you really like reading about people talking about their feelings over and over. The psychostalker subplot picked things up a bit. Needed editing; protagonists' names getting randomly switched is just sloppy.
Dave Cotton
This is a solid and satisfying sequel to Wrestling with Desire. THe growth of the characters through the two books is clear and strong. It also gives a clear idea of how the LGBT environment is changing, slowly but surely.
Mary
Oh, I like this cover much better than the other one. Why did you change the cover title.

My review for this book is at Reward of Courage. I love DH Starr's writing. When's the next book coming out?
Edina Rose
Brilliant. Simply Brilliant. It is not only well written with great characters and great plot, but it is also very clever, thoughtful. A keeper.
Leigh
4.5 stars. What an amazing follow-up to Wrestling with Desire. Loved the sweet, sweet love story that it was. Full review to come.
  • Power Play
  • Dumb Jock (Dumb Jock, #1)
  • A Place To Run (The Making of a Man #2)
  • Wes and Toren
  • Horizons (Horizons, #1)
  • Love Is In The Hallways (Love, #2)
  • End of the Beginning (Tales from Foster High, #2)
  • Calvin's Cowboy
  • Crunch Time (Work Out, #4)
  • Last of the Summer Tomatoes
  • Wanting (Rocky Mountain High: Campus Hearts, #1)
  • Out of Position (Out of Position #1)
  • Unnecessary Roughness
  • Prove It
  • Things I'll Never Say
  • Every Time I Think of You
  • Enlightened (Little Boy Lost, #1)
  • Point of Beginning (The Gentlemen's Club, #1)
Wrestling with Desire (Wrestling #1) Meant For Each Other TLC Perfect For Me Premonition