Start by marking “The End of an Error” as Want to Read:
The End of an Error

The End of an Error

3.19 of 5 stars 3.19  ·  rating details  ·  123 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Lee Emery is an empty nester, contentedly married to a man she has known forever and hunkering down in the house where she grew up. She believes she is happy occupying such a familiar emotional and physical space. But questions of the path not taken start to haunt her after she publishes a memoir of her deliciously eccentric grandmother with whom she traipsed through Europ ...more
Published March 17th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The End of an Error, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The End of an Error

Jennie
I spent the first half of this book trying to figure out where the romance was between Lee and her husband, Ben. Their relationship felt stale, as if they had become roommates along the days as their children grew and moved out of the home. The quintessential empty nest syndrome. I fell in love with Lee around the time she was in Europe with her Aunt. That is also where the writing took on a poetic quality, describing the scenery and events in such a way the emotion and beauty engulfed me. What ...more
Nick
Shelly Busse
I gave this book 2 stars but it was probably more like 2 1/2 for me. This is the 3rd book of Ms. Medwed's I have read and my least favorite.

Didn't quite get the relationship with her husband - it seemed very mediocre and he seemed a bit selfish. And not sure why she stayed after the kids had gone away.

Enjoyed the part about where she traveled as a teenager with her over-the-top grandmother in Europe…but when her grandmother dies, she forgets and leaves in ashes in an urn in a diner and doesn't
Shelley
When a man starts using the word "darling" in a book and the female is not five years old, I know it ain't going to be that good. Grandma was the most interesting character in the book. I leave it at that. Two stars is questionable.
Madelyn
Chalk it up to summer at the beach. Otherwise, I would never have wasted my time on such a trite, silly book. Unlikeable characters, and repetitious phrasing make Medwed's book a colossal bore. Half a star.
Sandra
I'll let my erudite friend Greg speak for me:

"Another female American academic (the middle-aged director of a "junior-year-abroad" program) with complex interactions--in this case, with her husband, with a boyfriend from long ago, with her grandmother, and with the natural environment (both Maine's and England's)"

Greg thought the writer's tendency to use the present tense for chapters set in the present, and past tense for flashback chapters, was a bit annoying. I don't remember this, but could
John
After a slow start, I really enjoyed this book. The first half in Maine, then a trip with a nineteen year old girl and her grandmother. After Lee and Simon get involved, the book gets interesting. Clearly Lee and Simon should have stayed together, but instead they marry other people. When they meet up again, sparks fly. Later the book gets funnier and even more interesting.
Elysabeth
Not my favorite of Medwed's books -- I guess I liked that it didn't end the way you thought it was going to, but at the same time, all the characters except for Lee felt one-dimensional and predictable.
Trudi
Writing a memoir about her grandmother, brings back memories of her first love to Lee. Although she has a happy marriage, she has never forgotten Simon and has never ceased to wonder "what if..."
Heather
I suspect my work distractions kept me from fully enjoying this book -- certainly not the author's fault. Parts of this were so wise and funny, and I loved (and did not foresee) the ending.
Sasha Strader
I couldn't wait to get through this book, and not because it was so blasted fantastic. It was actually kind of awful with just enough suspense to keep me reading. I don't recommend it.
Barrie
Medwed is the poor woman's Elinor Lipman. "End of an Error" was charming and fun, but at the end, I felt no sense of satisfaction.
Paige
I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to finish this book...I rarely not finish books but so far it's boring.
Libbey
Though this is a quick read its characters/lessons(?)/questions will stick with you for a while.
Karen
Enjoyable read...a good look down the path not taken and whether you can really go back.

Dawn
This book is about looking back on choices made. I enjoyed the book but did not like the ending.
Lisa
I wasn't sure, at first, if I would like this book...but it surprised me.
Joan
Gave up, couldn't even be bothered to plod through the whole book.
Ruthann

Funny at times. Overall predictable.
Suzanne
Entertaining with predictable ending
Leslie Oakes
Thought it was good but not great.
JenniferB
meh, I didn't like this book at all.
Allie
Allie marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Gray
Gray added it
Apr 05, 2015
Lori Barnes
Lori Barnes marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Shawn
Shawn added it
Mar 20, 2015
Lynne
Lynne marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
  • Otherwise Engaged
  • Martín & Meditations on the South Valley
  • Smoke
  • La Medusa
  • Tyrannosaurus Sue: The Extraordinary Saga of the Largest, Most Fought Over T-Rex Ever Found
  • Moloch: or, This Gentile World
  • From Modernism to Postmodernism: An Anthology
  • Winter Stars
  • The Rule of Metaphor
Mameve Medwed is the author of five novels, Mail, Host Family, The End of an Error, the 2007 Massachusetts Honor Book award-winnin How Elizabeth Browning Saved My Life, and the forthcoming Of Men and Their Mothers, pub date April 22, 2008. Please contact her through her website www.mamevemedwed.com"
More about Mameve Medwed...
How Elizabeth Barrett Browning Saved My Life Mail Of Men and Their Mothers Host Family L'amico delle undici