Start by marking “The End of an Error” as Want to Read:
The End of an Error

The End of an Error

Lee Emery is an empty nester, contentedly married to a man she has known forever and hunkering down in the house where she grew up. She believes she is happy occupying such a familiar emotional and physical space. But questions of the path not taken start to haunt her after she publishes a memoir of her deliciously eccentric grandmother with whom she traipsed through Europ ...more
Published March 17th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The End of an Error, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The End of an Error

Not my favorite of Medwed's books -- I guess I liked that it didn't end the way you thought it was going to, but at the same time, all the characters except for Lee felt one-dimensional and predictable.
Emily rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2007
Sarah rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2008
Ruth Conrad
Ruth Conrad rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2008
I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to finish this book...I rarely not finish books but so far it's boring.
Oct 19, 2008 Barrie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Medwed is the poor woman's Elinor Lipman. "End of an Error" was charming and fun, but at the end, I felt no sense of satisfaction.
Arlene rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2009
Nov 07, 2009 Dawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-read
This book is about looking back on choices made. I enjoyed the book but did not like the ending.
Miranda rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2009
Dec 20, 2009 Trudi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Writing a memoir about her grandmother, brings back memories of her first love to Lee. Although she has a happy marriage, she has never forgotten Simon and has never ceased to wonder "what if..."
Heather rated it it was ok
Jan 19, 2010
Apr 10, 2012 Heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
I suspect my work distractions kept me from fully enjoying this book -- certainly not the author's fault. Parts of this were so wise and funny, and I loved (and did not foresee) the ending.
Amy rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2011
I'll let my erudite friend Greg speak for me:

"Another female American academic (the middle-aged director of a "junior-year-abroad" program) with complex interactions--in this case, with her husband, with a boyfriend from long ago, with her grandmother, and with the natural environment (both Maine's and England's)"

Greg thought the writer's tendency to use the present tense for chapters set in the present, and past tense for flashback chapters, was a bit annoying. I don't remember this, but could
I spent the first half of this book trying to figure out where the romance was between Lee and her husband, Ben. Their relationship felt stale, as if they had become roommates along the days as their children grew and moved out of the home. The quintessential empty nest syndrome. I fell in love with Lee around the time she was in Europe with her Aunt. That is also where the writing took on a poetic quality, describing the scenery and events in such a way the emotion and beauty engulfed me. What ...more
Sasha Strader
I couldn't wait to get through this book, and not because it was so blasted fantastic. It was actually kind of awful with just enough suspense to keep me reading. I don't recommend it.
Diane rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2011
Shelly Busse
I gave this book 2 stars but it was probably more like 2 1/2 for me. This is the 3rd book of Ms. Medwed's I have read and my least favorite.

Didn't quite get the relationship with her husband - it seemed very mediocre and he seemed a bit selfish. And not sure why she stayed after the kids had gone away.

Enjoyed the part about where she traveled as a teenager with her over-the-top grandmother in Europe…but when her grandmother dies, she forgets and leaves in ashes in an urn in a diner and doesn't
Anne rated it it was ok
Nov 11, 2011
AnnB rated it it was ok
Apr 01, 2012
Dec 22, 2012 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-favs
After a slow start, I really enjoyed this book. The first half in Maine, then a trip with a nineteen year old girl and her grandmother. After Lee and Simon get involved, the book gets interesting. Clearly Lee and Simon should have stayed together, but instead they marry other people. When they meet up again, sparks fly. Later the book gets funnier and even more interesting.
Maryellen rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2013
May 14, 2016 Liz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When both of Lee’s parents are killed in a plane crash, someone says it is “the end of an era”. Lee, in her grief, thinks of it as “the end of an error”, a mistake, which brought about this terrible calamity. Within a few weeks, the bereaved girl is married to her steady sweetheart, Ben, beloved of her steady, dependable Maine parents. But she never forgets her first love, at eighteen: Simon, the son of British friends of her eccentric grandmother Marguerite, who took her on a tour of Europe. W ...more
Mar 22, 2014 Shelley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
When a man starts using the word "darling" in a book and the female is not five years old, I know it ain't going to be that good. Grandma was the most interesting character in the book. I leave it at that. Two stars is questionable.
Rosemary O'Brien
Rosemary O'Brien rated it it was ok
Apr 19, 2014
Aug 09, 2014 Madelyn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Chalk it up to summer at the beach. Otherwise, I would never have wasted my time on such a trite, silly book. Unlikeable characters, and repetitious phrasing make Medwed's book a colossal bore. Half a star.
Mike O
Mike O rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2015
Jane rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2016
Mar 21, 2016 Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Examining the choices made in life and love. What do we find out about ourselves? Insights and surprises. Enjoyable read that will leave you smiling or upset, depending on how you view life yourself. Recommended.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • From Modernism to Postmodernism: An Anthology
  • Moloch: or, This Gentile World
  • Presence: Stories
  • Martín & Meditations on the South Valley
  • Tyrannosaurus Sue: The Extraordinary Saga of the Largest, Most Fought Over T-Rex Ever Found
  • Otherwise Engaged
Mameve Medwed is the author of five novels, Mail, Host Family, The End of an Error, the 2007 Massachusetts Honor Book award-winnin How Elizabeth Browning Saved My Life, and the forthcoming Of Men and Their Mothers, pub date April 22, 2008. Please contact her through her website"
More about Mameve Medwed...