Start by marking “We First: How Brands and Consumers Use Social Media to Build a Better World” as Want to Read:
We First: How Brands and Consumers Use Social Media to Build a Better World

We First: How Brands and Consumers Use Social Media to Build a Better World

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  14 reviews
A social media expert with global experience with many of the world’s biggest brands —including Nike, Toyota and Motorola—Simon Mainwaring offers a visionary new practice in which brands leverage social media to earn consumer goodwill, loyalty and profit, while creating a third pillar of sustainable social change through conscious contributions from customer purchases. The...more
Published June 7th 2011 by Palgrave Macmillan Trade (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about We First, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We First

HBalikov
Better than the title, so far. Mainwaring is an advocate who has marshaled his facts and puts together his arguments with power and care.

There are a lot of books on linking social media and sustainability. This is not like most and better than others I have read. Why? Because Mainwaring is sharp in his comprehensive take on what he thinks this world needs and his path to getting there.

I also like that he isn't ignoring many of the stakeholders in this enterprise. He speaks well to both the consu...more
Loren Jordan
We First – How Brands and Consumers Use Social Media to Build a Better World: A philosophical book encouraging professional entities to take care of their consumers, while the consumers need to apply more pressure on these entities to do more through the use of social media.

Mainwaring’s passion for laying the foundation for both the private sector and also for the consumers to help create a world that future generations would be proud of is evident throughout the chapters. He states that busines...more
Les
A very good outline of how we can and how we are already changing the principles of capitalism.
Anyone who is interested in contributing to positive change in the world should read this book.

"The evolution of revolution begins with contribution."
Rick Bostian
Interesting, but reads like a textbook.
Leigh
Earlier this year, I flew across the country to visit my friend, a law student in Washington DC. On the last leg of my flight I sat next to two people who were around my age (early to mid-20's). There was an unpleasant woman sitting behind us who complained about various insignificant things during the entire flight. When we touched down in DC, my row-mates and I pulled out our phones to let our friends/family (or whoever was picking us up) know we'd landed. Unpleasant Woman saw us with our phon...more
Dennis Fischman
There's a lot to like about Simon Mainwaring's We First. This former advertising executive pulls no punches. He tells his former clients that the way they do business has got to go.

Capitalism, Mainwaring points out, is flawed as a system. It leads to class rule, booms, bubbles, and busts. It promotes selfishness and greed. It sacrifices workers and their families and despoils the environment in a short-sighted grab for immediate profit. Capitalism is not sustainable, neither economically, envir...more
Larry
Pie in the sky Pollyanna crap. Corporations will never ever voluntarily do what he recommends en masse. The most hilarious part was categorizing Nike as anything like a corporate citizen when they have driven manufacturing overseas.
Chris Giovagnoni
Capitalism is broken, and We First examines how capitalism can evolve to better serve communities, countries, corporations and consumers. Chapters one through five discuss why we need to change the thinking behind our current practice of capitalism, and chapters six through 10 explains how to do it.

An inspired and enterprising manifesto for improving the world.

Wanderingmindanaorebel
The world is changing, and so is the way we do business. It is not business as usual anymore. We have to collaborate, cooperate and creatively engage with the world in the way we do stuff in business, politics, NGOs and the rest of the pillars. WE FIRST is a great guide to that!
Sondra
Interesting book on how capitalism needs to move forward in order to make the world a more sustainable place. Great ideas..started out slow. The last 3 chapters move along much better.
Marc Aiello
This book sucked. Read the most useful critical review on Amazon, it's dead on. I'll never get that part of my life back.
AJ Ostrow
Repetitive. Good to think about the future of corporate social responsibility.
Kathleen
Truely transformational book that I highly recommend!
Itzkoopa
Itzkoopa marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Choon Beng
Choon Beng is currently reading it
Sep 14, 2014
Mark Brooks
Mark Brooks marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Bryan Blanchot
Bryan Blanchot marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Mark, Mutuality, and Mental Health: Encounters with Jesus Mark, Mutuality, and Mental Health: Encounters with Jesus