Start by marking “We First: How Brands and Consumers Use Social Media to Build a Better World” as Want to Read:
We First: How Brands and Consumers Use Social Media to Build a Better World

We First: How Brands and Consumers Use Social Media to Build a Better World

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  85 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
A social media expert with global experience with many of the world's biggest brands -including Nike, Toyota and Motorola-Simon Mainwaring offers a visionary new practice in which brands leverage social media to earn consumer goodwill, loyalty and profit, while creating a third pillar of sustainable social change through conscious contributions from customer purchases. The ...more
Published June 7th 2011 by St. Martin's Press (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about We First, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We First

HBalikov
May 07, 2013 HBalikov rated it really liked it
Better than the title, so far. Mainwaring is an advocate who has marshaled his facts and puts together his arguments with power and care.

There are a lot of books on linking social media and sustainability. This is not like most and better than others I have read. Why? Because Mainwaring is sharp in his comprehensive take on what he thinks this world needs and his path to getting there.

I also like that he isn't ignoring many of the stakeholders in this enterprise. He speaks well to both the consu
Les
Oct 17, 2011 Les rated it really liked it
A very good outline of how we can and how we are already changing the principles of capitalism.
Anyone who is interested in contributing to positive change in the world should read this book.

"The evolution of revolution begins with contribution."
Rick Bostian
May 16, 2012 Rick Bostian rated it it was ok
Interesting, but reads like a textbook.
Leigh
Sep 22, 2011 Leigh rated it really liked it
Earlier this year, I flew across the country to visit my friend, a law student in Washington DC. On the last leg of my flight I sat next to two people who were around my age (early to mid-20's). There was an unpleasant woman sitting behind us who complained about various insignificant things during the entire flight. When we touched down in DC, my row-mates and I pulled out our phones to let our friends/family (or whoever was picking us up) know we'd landed. Unpleasant Woman saw us with our phon ...more
Dennis Fischman
Oct 29, 2013 Dennis Fischman rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
There's a lot to like about Simon Mainwaring's We First. This former advertising executive pulls no punches. He tells his former clients that the way they do business has got to go.

Capitalism, Mainwaring points out, is flawed as a system. It leads to class rule, booms, bubbles, and busts. It promotes selfishness and greed. It sacrifices workers and their families and despoils the environment in a short-sighted grab for immediate profit. Capitalism is not sustainable, neither economically, envir
Larry
Apr 23, 2014 Larry rated it it was ok
Pie in the sky Pollyanna crap. Corporations will never ever voluntarily do what he recommends en masse. The most hilarious part was categorizing Nike as anything like a corporate citizen when they have driven manufacturing overseas.
Chris Giovagnoni
Nov 11, 2011 Chris Giovagnoni rated it really liked it
Capitalism is broken, and We First examines how capitalism can evolve to better serve communities, countries, corporations and consumers. Chapters one through five discuss why we need to change the thinking behind our current practice of capitalism, and chapters six through 10 explains how to do it.

An inspired and enterprising manifesto for improving the world.

Deera
Dec 04, 2014 Deera rated it liked it
Shelves: dnf, audiobook
I thought this book would be about social media, but it's really about economics. The title led me astray a little. I chose it for a presentation for class. I read enough of it, the parts about social media, for my presentation and then moved on. It just wasn't the type of book I needed.
Wanderingmindanaorebel
May 11, 2012 Wanderingmindanaorebel rated it really liked it
The world is changing, and so is the way we do business. It is not business as usual anymore. We have to collaborate, cooperate and creatively engage with the world in the way we do stuff in business, politics, NGOs and the rest of the pillars. WE FIRST is a great guide to that!
Sondra
May 12, 2013 Sondra rated it liked it
Interesting book on how capitalism needs to move forward in order to make the world a more sustainable place. Great ideas..started out slow. The last 3 chapters move along much better.
Marc Aiello
Jul 06, 2012 Marc Aiello rated it did not like it
This book sucked. Read the most useful critical review on Amazon, it's dead on. I'll never get that part of my life back.
Martin
Oct 17, 2013 Martin rated it liked it
to read my review, please visit: http://theagencyreview.wordpress.com/...
AJ Ostrow
Sep 16, 2013 AJ Ostrow rated it liked it
Repetitive. Good to think about the future of corporate social responsibility.
Kathleen
Dec 27, 2011 Kathleen rated it it was amazing
Truely transformational book that I highly recommend!
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Laura Donohue
Laura Donohue marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Sebelius
Sebelius marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Kayhan
Kayhan marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2016
Babi
Babi marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
David Szlovak
David Szlovak marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Darwa
Darwa added it
Jan 17, 2016
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was ok
Jan 10, 2016
Madison Helmick
Madison Helmick marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2015
Claudia Barrett
Claudia Barrett marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2015
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2015
Yvonne
Yvonne rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2015
Nafis Achmad
Nafis Achmad rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2015
  • Philanthrocapitalism: How the Rich Can Save the World
  • Why Smart Executives Fail: And What You Can Learn from Their Mistakes
  • Credibility: How Leaders Gain and Lose It, Why People Demand It
  • Be the Solution: How Entrepreneurs and Conscious Capitalists Can Solve All the World's Problems
  • Transforming Leadership
  • Leap of Reason: Managing to Outcomes in an Era of Scarcity
  • The New Capitalist Manifesto: Building a Disruptively Better Business
  • Personality Not Included: Why Companies Lose Their Authenticity and How Great Brands Get It Back
  • The Now Revolution: 7 Shifts to Make Your Business Faster, Smarter, and More Social
  • Marketing Myopia
  • Generation Earn: The Young Professional's Guide to Spending, Investing, and Giving Back
  • Brand Thinking and Other Noble Pursuits
  • The Leader's Checklist: 15 Mission-Critical Principles
  • The Next Convergence: The Future of Economic Growth in a Multispeed World
  • Give Smart: Philanthropy that Gets Results
  • It's Always Personal: Navigating Emotion in the New Workplace
  • Strategize to Win: The New Way to Start Out, Step Up, or Start Over in Your Career
  • The 5 Patterns of Extraordinary Careers : The Guide for Achieving Success and Satisfaction (Crown Business Briefings)