Start by marking “Programming Entity Framework: Building Data Centric Apps with the ADO.NET Entity Framework” as Want to Read:

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  92 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Get a thorough introduction to ADO.NET Entity Framework 4 -- Microsoft's core framework for modeling and interacting with data in .NET applications. The second edition of this acclaimed guide provides a hands-on tour of the framework latest version in Visual Studio 2010 and .NET Framework 4. Not only will you learn how to use EF4 in a variety of applications, you'll also g ...more
Published August 9th 2010 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 15th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Programming Entity Framework, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Programming Entity Framework

Ahmed Salem
The book is very nice, takes you from the very beginning of how to understand Entity Framework and LINQ and using them later for windows, web application to some advanced topics related to the Microsoft EF.

Ahmed Salem

I may recommend waiting the next edition of the book for the author, which is promised to have updates about whats new for EF 4.
Dan
Truly outstanding technology book. The early chapters are the best and you can sense author-fatigue in the later chapters, but overall a truly enlightening and informative book. This is not a dry regurgitation of manuals already in existence.
Arun Mahendrakar
Although I had used EF on various instances before, reading this book provided me with something new that I was not aware of. The depth of subject coverage is pretty darn good and kudos to the author on this.
Yougo
If you are looking to learn more about Entity Framework, this is an excellent source to refer too. The material is discussed in great depth and breadth. The author has extensive knowledge of the subject and does a good job of presenting the information in a very understandable way.

My biggest complaint lies in the code downloads. It is my position that anytime a book builds on code from chapter to chapter, that each chapter should have it's own download so that I can get code that works cleanly f
Amr
Nov 28, 2011 Amr marked it as left-for-a-while  ·  review of another edition
THIS REVIEW IS STILL IN PROGRESS

One thing I didn't like about this book is that it doesn't stick to building an example. Sometimes it asks you to build the example, and it does it really well. Other times, it just mentions that you could do this and then later you find that you need to do it because this later example builds on top of older example.
Sometimes, it mentions examples that doesn't follow the initial BreakAway example. It's a little distracting.
Dave Mackey
There are few books on this fairly arcane and technical topic, so one has to give Julia props for writing anything on the topic. At times though the book glosses over certain concepts while dwelling upon others...It isn't an easy read, but that may be more due to the topic material than any deficiencies on the author's part.
Angavar
Truly one of the best technology books I have read. Like so many other reviews of this book have said: this is THE book to read on entity framework 4.0.

Congratulations on a fantastic book Julia!
Lisandro
very in-dept for the first timer. The last couple of chapter fells a little bit outdate for the experience programmer but if you're new to it, would worth a read.
Stu
Good resource for the Entity framework. Julia Lerman stands apart from the rest; she has an exceptional understanding of the material.
Miloš
Great book. I have learned a lot from this book and I will always use it as a reminder during my work...
Adam Schrader
Excellent book for anyone getting into the Microsoft Entity Framework (.NET). I much prefer it to ADO.NET.
Ben Rand
Entity Framework is my favorite technology of the moment. Very in-depth book.
Alf Kåre Lefdal
Thorough and well-written about Entity Framework 4, maybe too verbose for some.
Holty Samba
Good to read if you want to understand what is EF :)
Magicianred
Magicianred is currently reading it
Mar 09, 2015
Dave
Dave marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Scott W.
Scott W. is currently reading it
Feb 18, 2015
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Rjo
Rjo added it
Jan 30, 2015
Mitton Pienaar
Mitton Pienaar marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Daniel Schmackpfeffer
Daniel Schmackpfeffer marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Ozgur Ozturk
Ozgur Ozturk marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Pro ASP.NET MVC 3 Framework
  • C# in Depth
  • C# 4.0 in a Nutshell: The Definitive Reference
  • Pro C# 2010 and the .NET 4 Platform
  • CLR via C# (Pro-Developer)
  • Microsoft .NET: Architecting Applications for the Enterprise: Architecting Applications for the Enterprise
  • Head First C#
  • MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-536): Microsoft® .NET Framework 2.0�Application Development Foundation: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0--Application Development Foundation
  • SQL Cookbook
  • The Art of Unit Testing: With Examples in .NET
  • Domain-Driven Design: Tackling Complexity in the Heart of Software
  • The Art of Agile Development

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Julie Lerman is a Microsoft MVP, .NET mentor and consultant who lives in the hills of Vermont. You can find Julie presenting on data access and other Microsoft .NET topics at user groups and conferences around the world. Julie blogs at thedatafarm.com/blog, is the author of the highly acclaimed "Programming Entity Framework (with a second edition released in August 2010) and authors the MSDN Magaz ...more
More about Julia Lerman...
Programming Entity Framework: Code First Programming Entity Framework: DbContext CODE Magazine - 2008 Sep/Oct CODE Magazine - 2009 Jul/Aug CODE Magazine - 2009 Sep/Oct