Anything Can Be Dangerous

Anything Can Be Dangerous

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  149 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Anything Can be Dangerous contains four amazing stories, plus a preview to the highly praised novel Husk, by Matt Hults. The stories include:

Anything can be Dangerous ~ the simple things in life can kill.
Through the Valley of Death ~ a dark vampire story that will make you remember fear.
The Finger ~ zombie literature has never been so extraordinary.
Feeding Frenzy ~ luncht...more
Published February 11th 2011 by Books of the Dead Press

Midu Hadi
Daniel
I picked this up on a whim months ago and then it got lost in kindle lists. Compulsive kindle purchasing really does bury older acquisitions.

I don't remember what pointed me to this book, but whatever that was--thank you! Out of the four longish shorts in this collection (averaging about 30 pages apiece), one is excellent; two are great; and one is good. All are fun, well-written, and based on a single idea drawn out to absurd and entertaining lengths.

The title story is the gem of the lot and...more
Angela
Collection of four stories that are all interesting but differ in how well written they are.

'Anything Can Be Dangerous' I found funny. Not often I'll read a story about carrier bags coming to life.

'Through the Valley of Death' was a decent story incorporating a family's accidental journey onto unsacred ground. This one was much darker than the other stories.

'The Finger' was yet another take on zombies. I can't remember much of it to be honest but I can remember being bored reading it.

'Feeding F...more
Heather Faville
Matt Hults'Anything Can Be Dangerous is an interesting book. The first, essentially, half is made up of 4 unique stories. The rest of the book consists of 7 previews to not only Hults' Husk, but for 3 other author's works.

Anything Can Be Dangerous is the title of the 1st story we come upon. Greg's life seems to finally be taking a turn to the positive when, suddenly, the things his mother always used to worry about started becoming reality. Yes, anything can be dangerous and you won't belie...more
Nona
"Anything Can Be Dangerous" was the last book I read in full in 2011.

It is a collection of short stories in the horror genre.

As of right now (Jan. 1, 2012) you can buy the kindle edition for $0.00

There are 4 full stories, plus a preview of a novel called "Husk." I read the stories, but not the novel preview, as I had no interest in it.

The stories in this collection are:

1. Anything can be Dangerous: In the title story of this collection you find out that even something as simple as a recycled pla...more
Kate (Phoenix Reads)
This book, I felt was an OK representation of scary stories, but honestly they didn't really scare me because they were incomplete and unrealistic.

In the first story a man named Greg discovers that all these plastic bags can chase people down and kill them. Not sure how I feel about that one. What would've been nice to know was how those plastic bags started to come to live, why they killed everyone, and what happens in the end. But I guess that's the point of having to go out and buy the whole...more
Brandy Hunt
This is an anthology of four exemplary novellettes/novellas. The four stories manage to hit the high notes of the horror genre -- zombies, vampires, post-apocalyptic, and gore/slasher.

It has been awhile since any horror story made me flinch, but "The Finger" had me kind of vomiting in my mouth for a moment. This story is perfect balanced against "Through Valley of Death" where a family wanders where they shouldn't. Then there is the hysterical humor (as in crazed laughter) of "Feeding Frenzy" j...more
Book Lovers Never Go to Bed Alone
This collection of short stories from Matt Hults is a free read and serves as an introduction to his work. It's a quick read as there are only four stories. In addition, there are a number of preview chapters for other authors on the same press. An interesting marketing idea to say the least.

As for Hults' stories, I had mixed feelings as I read through them. He has a particular style of writing that I did not always feel in tune with--the humorous element to horror. The first story, "Anything Ca...more
Rayne
I first read Matt Hults' story "Feeding Frenzy" in the anthology "Best New Zombie Tales" (edited by James Roy Daley). I loved it there and sought out more of the author's work.

As a love of short stories, especially fantasy and horror, I enjoyed this collection.

Matt Hults is a master at building tension. His stories start, in a manner reminiscent of Victorian gothic fiction, with a subtly disquieting situation, something everyday with just a minor problem, creating a sense of foreboding. Then thi...more
Aura Nelson
Chilling, Somewhat Hilarious Stories

These stories are beautifully detailed and occasionally hilarious. Some of the endings are terrifying, some cliff-hangers, and the worst ones are tragically chosen without any specific saying as to whether or not it will happen (ie the one with the finger).
Charlene
Anything Can Be Dangerous was, all in all, a fun read.
It contains 4 short stories and a few previews.
I enjoyed the shorts as follows:

Anything Can Be Dangerous-3*
This one reminded me of early King shorts. Does anyone remember The Mangler about an ironing machine gone wild? Well this is plastic gone wild.
Feeding Frenzy-3*-Fast food and a fast paced read.
Valley of Death-4*-This story starts off with a stranded family on a deserted road. Into the valley they will go.
The Finger-5* Totally awesome, i...more
Mav Skye
Scary Fun

What a pleasant surprise this anthology was. The author had me from the first page and I couldn't stop reading. My favorite of the 4 short stories is "Feeding Frenzy." It was scary fun and refreshingly original. I'll definitely be reading all Matt Hults books!
Gerald Rice
You have to comb through many a poorly-written free book to find a gem like this. "Anything Can be Dangerous" is a definite positive addition to the horror genre and Matt Hults is a breath of fresh air. I read this in spare moments between writing and editing my own novella and I'm glad I took the time.

The titular story will grab you, but "Feeding Frenzy" will squeeze the air out of you (by far my favorite). If you have to call any one story weak, I'd say it was "Through the Valley of Death" bu...more
Felts
A collection of 4 shorts.
My ratings as follows:

Anything Can Be Dangerous: What would you do if you found out your recyclables hate you? 1 Star
Feeding Frenzy: Location is everything when you are looking for a spot for your new business venture. 3 Stars
Through the Valley of Death: It's bad enough that you get into a car accident in the middle of nowhere, but just be careful what path you take when you go to find help. 3 Stars
The Finger: Think you know the perfect get-rich scheme? Well, you might w...more
M
I downloaded this book to my Kindle. It's the perfect book to read on a rainy Saturday afternoon. Alright, it's pretty good to read it anytime. Matt Hults has a wonderful imagination and knows how to put it down on paper. Criticism, sure...some of the stories weren't long enough. Some of them should have been full length novels so I could see how the protagonist managed to get out of some of the incredible situations he found himself in. Thumbs up, Matt Hults & Amazon.
Shelly
I was pleasantly surprised by this freebie (got it at Barnes & Noble for Nook). Four shorts and a preview of a novel. Really enjoyed the first three stories, the last short was my least favorite but it was still entertaining. Some nice creepiness and originality here. Books like this make sifting through all the not so great freebies worth it.
Felicia A
Sep 24, 2011 Felicia A marked it as to-read
Shelves: horror
Hey all you horror fans, here is another freebie. I have not yet read this, but the author told me that this is currently free on Amazon, and you can get an electronic copy for your e-readers. Download, read, review!

Nikki
2.25 Stars It was alright

A creative mind indeed. But were they scary? Not really. The creep factor popped up in The Finger. There plastic bags that killed, a restaurant that demanded you follow the rules or else, cursed grounds that required a sacrifice, and a finger.
Not a fan of shorts, but 1 or 2 will be remembered for originality alone.
Kelvin Kettle
A decent collection of horror stories. My favorite is probably the first, Anything Can Be Dangerous, about killer plastic shopping bags. Sounds stupid, I know, but it is original. The Finger gave me the creeps. Especially when the character in the story swallows the severed finger. Almost made me want to choke.
Padre
Great stories. All four start good, two struggle a bit near the end, one doesn't offer a proper conclusion. Still, very enjoyable.

The great ones: Feeding Frenzy (easily the best of the four), Through the Valley of Death
The good ones that need work: Anything Can Be Dangerous, The Finger
Pat
This quartet of stories all had a creepy Twilight Zone feel to them... Unfortunately I only enjoyed one of them. A couple of the stories ended quite abruptly for my liking which left me underwhelmed. I didn’t read the sample from Husk as was only interested in the short stories.
Miguel
Not your ordinary horror short stories

First time reading this genre, I might say they were very interesting shorts. The kind of stories that would leave you without an end for you to use your imagination.
Fred
Mar 26, 2012 Fred rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: horror
This is a fantastic collection of horror shorts that actually put me on a brief horror binge all because of this book! Read it. You won't be sorry, and if you are, you should feel weird.
This book was so fun to read! Full of different stories from different authors and some of them were just fantastic. would definitely recommend to anyone that likes comedic horror.
Scott Collins
I'm not normally a big fan of short stories, but this one worked for me. Creepy, gross and action packed, this book will keep you up late reading.
Tina Albertson
Did I seriously read a book where plastic bags attack human beings? I only read the first short story, couldn't read anymore after that.
Catherine Gordon
Jul 22, 2011 Catherine Gordon rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Julie Campbell
Overall a creepy good read. Some of the stories were a miss, but the majority were interesting and scary. A good read!
Shanna
I really enjoyed these short stories. They were creative and creepy and would love to read more from this author!
Craig Nuel
Cool short story. Trash bags coming to life and killing....the other stories in book not bad too
Lin
Great horror stories about everyday items--like those annoying plastic wrappers.
  • The Monster Within Idea
  • Monster in the Mirror - A Short Story
  • To Read or Not to Read
  • The Undead: Zombie Anthology
  • The Screaming
  • The House on Blackstone Moor (The Blackstone Vampires Series, #1)
  • Dark Light
  • Crawlspace
  • The Takers (The Oz Chronicles, #1)
  • Devil's Hand (Drawing Thin, #1)
  • These Old Tales
A native Floridian, Belea Keeney's short stories have been published by WordKnot, Boundoff, Florida Horror: Dark Tales from the Sunshine State, The Beast Within, and other venues."
More about Matt Hults...
Husk Best New Vampire Tales (Vol.1) The Beast Within The Immaculate Conception Darkest Hour