Start by marking “Anything can be Dangerous” as Want to Read:
Anything can be Dangerous

Anything can be Dangerous

3.30  ·  Rating Details  ·  270 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Anything Can be Dangerous contains four amazing stories, plus a preview to the highly praised novel Husk, by Matt Hults. The stories include:

Anything can be Dangerous ~ the simple things in life can kill.
Through the Valley of Death ~ a dark vampire story that will make you remember fear.
The Finger ~ zombie literature has never been so extraordinary.
Feeding Frenzy ~ luncht
Published February 11th 2011 by Books of the Dead Press

To ask other readers questions about Anything can be Dangerous, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anything can be Dangerous

Midu Hadi
Daniel
Nov 07, 2012 Daniel rated it really liked it
I picked this up on a whim months ago and then it got lost in kindle lists. Compulsive kindle purchasing really does bury older acquisitions.

I don't remember what pointed me to this book, but whatever that was--thank you! Out of the four longish shorts in this collection (averaging about 30 pages apiece), one is excellent; two are great; and one is good. All are fun, well-written, and based on a single idea drawn out to absurd and entertaining lengths.

The title story is the gem of the lot and
Angela
Collection of four stories that are all interesting but differ in how well written they are.

'Anything Can Be Dangerous' I found funny. Not often I'll read a story about carrier bags coming to life.

'Through the Valley of Death' was a decent story incorporating a family's accidental journey onto unsacred ground. This one was much darker than the other stories.

'The Finger' was yet another take on zombies. I can't remember much of it to be honest but I can remember being bored reading it.

'Feeding F
Heather Faville
Feb 13, 2012 Heather Faville rated it really liked it
Matt Hults'Anything Can Be Dangerous is an interesting book. The first, essentially, half is made up of 4 unique stories. The rest of the book consists of 7 previews to not only Hults' Husk, but for 3 other author's works.

Anything Can Be Dangerous is the title of the 1st story we come upon. Greg's life seems to finally be taking a turn to the positive when, suddenly, the things his mother always used to worry about started becoming reality. Yes, anything can be dangerous and you won't believe w
Nona
Jan 02, 2012 Nona rated it really liked it
"Anything Can Be Dangerous" was the last book I read in full in 2011.

It is a collection of short stories in the horror genre.

As of right now (Jan. 1, 2012) you can buy the kindle edition for $0.00

There are 4 full stories, plus a preview of a novel called "Husk." I read the stories, but not the novel preview, as I had no interest in it.

The stories in this collection are:

1. Anything can be Dangerous: In the title story of this collection you find out that even something as simple as a recycled pla
Brandy Hunt
Sep 30, 2011 Brandy Hunt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an anthology of four exemplary novellettes/novellas. The four stories manage to hit the high notes of the horror genre -- zombies, vampires, post-apocalyptic, and gore/slasher.

It has been awhile since any horror story made me flinch, but "The Finger" had me kind of vomiting in my mouth for a moment. This story is perfect balanced against "Through Valley of Death" where a family wanders where they shouldn't. Then there is the hysterical humor (as in crazed laughter) of "Feeding Frenzy" j
Book Lovers Never Go to Bed Alone
This collection of short stories from Matt Hults is a free read and serves as an introduction to his work. It's a quick read as there are only four stories. In addition, there are a number of preview chapters for other authors on the same press. An interesting marketing idea to say the least.

As for Hults' stories, I had mixed feelings as I read through them. He has a particular style of writing that I did not always feel in tune with--the humorous element to horror. The first story, "Anything Ca
Aura Nelson
Feb 24, 2014 Aura Nelson rated it it was amazing
Chilling, Somewhat Hilarious Stories

These stories are beautifully detailed and occasionally hilarious. Some of the endings are terrifying, some cliff-hangers, and the worst ones are tragically chosen without any specific saying as to whether or not it will happen (ie the one with the finger).
Rachel
Mar 17, 2015 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Fantastic collection of short fiction stories!! I highly recommend Anything Can Be Dangerous by Matt Hults to every horror fiction fan!! Reminds me of how Bentley Little takes everyday things and scares the bejeezus out of you with them. You will never look at plastic bags the same again!!
Charlene
Mar 23, 2012 Charlene rated it really liked it
Anything Can Be Dangerous was, all in all, a fun read.
It contains 4 short stories and a few previews.
I enjoyed the shorts as follows:

Anything Can Be Dangerous-3*
This one reminded me of early King shorts. Does anyone remember The Mangler about an ironing machine gone wild? Well this is plastic gone wild.
Feeding Frenzy-3*-Fast food and a fast paced read.
Valley of Death-4*-This story starts off with a stranded family on a deserted road. Into the valley they will go.
The Finger-5* Totally awesome, i
Pauline White
Mar 07, 2015 Pauline White rated it liked it
Just read the preview. Haven't finished book.

It was good for a preview. Might buy. Some of the stories were a little far fetched, but not a bad way to kill time.
Mav Skye
Mar 12, 2014 Mav Skye rated it it was amazing
Scary Fun

What a pleasant surprise this anthology was. The author had me from the first page and I couldn't stop reading. My favorite of the 4 short stories is "Feeding Frenzy." It was scary fun and refreshingly original. I'll definitely be reading all Matt Hults books!
Gerald Rice
Jul 16, 2011 Gerald Rice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You have to comb through many a poorly-written free book to find a gem like this. "Anything Can be Dangerous" is a definite positive addition to the horror genre and Matt Hults is a breath of fresh air. I read this in spare moments between writing and editing my own novella and I'm glad I took the time.

The titular story will grab you, but "Feeding Frenzy" will squeeze the air out of you (by far my favorite). If you have to call any one story weak, I'd say it was "Through the Valley of Death" bu
Christa
Aug 26, 2014 Christa rated it really liked it
Shelves: reading-in-2011
I decided to read this before starting the author's novel Husk. This collection contains four short stories (which in my estimation average about 40 pages each) as well as a sample from Husk and some other books from the publisher. It's a nice package - the shorts are long enough so that you feel you've read something before the samples start. They also demonstrate that Matt Hults is one sick puppy, and if these are any indication, I'm going to enjoy Husk. His twisted imagination is right up my ...more
Janice Stinnett
Feb 14, 2016 Janice Stinnett rated it liked it
Ok

The stories were ok they Didn't have endings that finished the story. It was a decent read I wouldn't highly recommend
Felts
Dec 06, 2011 Felts rated it liked it
A collection of 4 shorts.
My ratings as follows:

Anything Can Be Dangerous: What would you do if you found out your recyclables hate you? 1 Star
Feeding Frenzy: Location is everything when you are looking for a spot for your new business venture. 3 Stars
Through the Valley of Death: It's bad enough that you get into a car accident in the middle of nowhere, but just be careful what path you take when you go to find help. 3 Stars
The Finger: Think you know the perfect get-rich scheme? Well, you might w
M
Sep 16, 2013 M rated it it was amazing
I downloaded this book to my Kindle. It's the perfect book to read on a rainy Saturday afternoon. Alright, it's pretty good to read it anytime. Matt Hults has a wonderful imagination and knows how to put it down on paper. Criticism, sure...some of the stories weren't long enough. Some of them should have been full length novels so I could see how the protagonist managed to get out of some of the incredible situations he found himself in. Thumbs up, Matt Hults & Amazon.
Shelly
Jan 30, 2012 Shelly rated it really liked it
I was pleasantly surprised by this freebie (got it at Barnes & Noble for Nook). Four shorts and a preview of a novel. Really enjoyed the first three stories, the last short was my least favorite but it was still entertaining. Some nice creepiness and originality here. Books like this make sifting through all the not so great freebies worth it.
Felicia A
Sep 24, 2011 Felicia A marked it as to-read
Shelves: horror
Hey all you horror fans, here is another freebie. I have not yet read this, but the author told me that this is currently free on Amazon, and you can get an electronic copy for your e-readers. Download, read, review!

Ms. Nikki
2.25 Stars It was alright

A creative mind indeed. But were they scary? Not really. The creep factor popped up in The Finger. There plastic bags that killed, a restaurant that demanded you follow the rules or else, cursed grounds that required a sacrifice, and a finger.
Not a fan of shorts, but 1 or 2 will be remembered for originality alone.
Kelvin Kettle
Jan 28, 2014 Kelvin Kettle rated it liked it
A decent collection of horror stories. My favorite is probably the first, Anything Can Be Dangerous, about killer plastic shopping bags. Sounds stupid, I know, but it is original. The Finger gave me the creeps. Especially when the character in the story swallows the severed finger. Almost made me want to choke.
Padre
Jun 20, 2012 Padre rated it really liked it
Great stories. All four start good, two struggle a bit near the end, one doesn't offer a proper conclusion. Still, very enjoyable.

The great ones: Feeding Frenzy (easily the best of the four), Through the Valley of Death
The good ones that need work: Anything Can Be Dangerous, The Finger
Pat
Jan 10, 2013 Pat rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror, short-stories
This quartet of stories all had a creepy Twilight Zone feel to them... Unfortunately I only enjoyed one of them. A couple of the stories ended quite abruptly for my liking which left me underwhelmed. I didn’t read the sample from Husk as was only interested in the short stories.
Miguel
Jan 11, 2014 Miguel rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
Not your ordinary horror short stories

First time reading this genre, I might say they were very interesting shorts. The kind of stories that would leave you without an end for you to use your imagination.
Fred
Mar 26, 2012 Fred rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
This is a fantastic collection of horror shorts that actually put me on a brief horror binge all because of this book! Read it. You won't be sorry, and if you are, you should feel weird.
Jen B
Oct 04, 2013 Jen B rated it it was amazing
This book was so fun to read! Full of different stories from different authors and some of them were just fantastic. would definitely recommend to anyone that likes comedic horror.
Scott Collins
Oct 14, 2011 Scott Collins rated it really liked it
I'm not normally a big fan of short stories, but this one worked for me. Creepy, gross and action packed, this book will keep you up late reading.
Tina Albertson
Dec 29, 2011 Tina Albertson rated it did not like it
Shelves: dystopia
Did I seriously read a book where plastic bags attack human beings? I only read the first short story, couldn't read anymore after that.
Catherine Gordon
Jul 22, 2011 Catherine Gordon rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Julie Campbell
Overall a creepy good read. Some of the stories were a miss, but the majority were interesting and scary. A good read!
Shanna
Jul 08, 2012 Shanna rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed these short stories. They were creative and creepy and would love to read more from this author!
  • The Monster Within Idea
  • Zombie Tales: Primrose Court Apt. 502
  • Apocalypstick
  • Here Be Monsters: An Anthology of Monster Tales
  • The Night Library
A native Floridian, Belea Keeney's short stories have been published by WordKnot, Boundoff, Florida Horror: Dark Tales from the Sunshine State, The Beast Within, and other venues."
More about Matt Hults...