Start by marking “La Esperança, Volume 01” as Want to Read:
La Esperança, Volume 01

La Esperança, Volume 01 (La Esperança #1)

3.60  ·  Rating Details  ·  452 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
In a European school dorm, Georges Saphir is admired and loved by everyone. However, afraid of others doing him harm, he has never allowed anyone to get close. Why is it then that misfit Robere can effortlessly step over this line Georges has drawn and see right through him? Will getting too close to Robere result in a tragedy that justifies his worst fears?
Published December 1st 2005 by Digital Manga Publishing (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about La Esperança, Volume 01, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La Esperança, Volume 01

Viridian5
Jan 24, 2009 Viridian5 rated it really liked it
It's listed as yaoi, but there's little of that stuff yet, just mostly character development, though I appreciate that. Instead of it all being about the characters hooking up, we're finding out who they are and getting some hints that their personalities will evolve. Georges, who is probably the intended uke by being shorter and blond, is an innocent but not an idiot. He's angsty at times but thankfully not fragile. Robert is still too much of an asshole and prone to literally yanking Georges a ...more
Cornerofmadness
Apr 14, 2013 Cornerofmadness rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga, lgbt
Cynthia
Jun 01, 2008 Cynthia rated it liked it
Recommends it for: yaoi fans only
Shelves: manga, yaoi, dmp
[Review of 1-4]

One of the first yaoi (boys love) titles I read when I started getting into the genre last year.

It starts out with a lot of promise, has a nice atmosphere and the backdrop of having the setting at a Catholic boy's school is fairly nice, compared to many yaoi manga where it just kind of happens in a featureless void that's entirely set up just to get the two main characters together. (ok, so not that bad, but you get the idea.)

The characters are fairly well done, even if having one
Jessica
Jan 20, 2014 Jessica rated it liked it
Shelves: manga

I love stories about people trying to figure out who they are, navigating between their own and other's expectations.

"I'm scared of those eyes. They pierce right through my soul, revealing things even I don't want to see."

So far I'm enjoying watching Georges and Robert awkwardly, hesitantly befriend each other. Potential romance is hinted at, but not really developed yet. Finding the supporting characters engaging as well.

"If you don't like something, then say so. You'll feel relief whe
Janice
Dec 18, 2011 Janice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My introduction to yaoi (or BL) manga. I have to say, I really enjoyed this intense, overwrought love story about Georges, a sweet do-gooder who tries to make up for his father's sins, and Robert, an anti-social older student who seems not to care at all about flouting the rules at their elite school. Georges is drawn to Robert, and though Robert does everything he can to challenge and tear down Georges' effort to do good (which is also accompanied by Georges' habit of leaving emotional distance ...more
Ashley
Sep 02, 2007 Ashley rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone looking for a slow-paced, non-graphic BL manga
Shelves: manga, yaoi-bl
There is something terribly endearing about this series, and I can't really put my finger on it. On the surface, it has one of your fairly typical BL manga storylines (sweet and innocent Boy A meets rough-edged and disturbed Character B), but beneath it there's something that kind of digs at you. So, even when you realize that you can guess every twist that's coming up, you still want to read the next volume.

Or, at least that's the way it was for me. La Esperanca is slow-paced and non-graphic de
Rebecca
At a European boys’ Catholic school, everyone loves the gentle and devout Georges…everyone except the enigmatic and troubled Robert, who is determined to rip Georges’ mask off.

This seven volume series is pure soap opera, loaded with angst and melodrama and family secrets and remorse and betrayal. However, particularly the first volume shows a depth of character and understanding beyond that found in most other mangas. The characters’ fragmented, real-time realizations reveal the boys’ depths fa
Sandy
Jul 27, 2008 Sandy rated it really liked it
Was not expecting a lot when I started this shonen-ai series but it I got pulled in deeper with each volume. Great supporting characters and quiet moments elevate this melodramatic drama set in an European all boys school.
Jul 28, 2011 Sarah added it
Shelves: graphic-novels, manga
Fascinating start to this yaoi series.... I loved the characters and the tension. I'm fascinated as to how they will reconcile the religious aspects with the gay plothemes. I will defiantly want to keep reading.
Maja
Jul 02, 2013 Maja rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
This is a beautiful start to a love story and putting it in a Catholic school context really adds to the plot. I just hope this doesn't end tragically.
amomentsilence
Jun 19, 2016 amomentsilence rated it it was amazing
Re-read. Loved it as much as the first time. What a wonderful series...
Hikai Kurosu
Nov 11, 2010 Hikai Kurosu rated it it was amazing
Kaylabookworm22 L
Oct 31, 2013 Kaylabookworm22 L rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed it
maurice ferdinand
maurice ferdinand rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2016
averiyannafleming
averiyannafleming rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2016
Kelvin Thompson
Kelvin Thompson rated it it was ok
Jun 13, 2016
Vera De Ferran
Vera De Ferran rated it did not like it
Jun 09, 2016
Elena
Elena marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Katie Cloud
Katie Cloud marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Nikki
Nikki marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Jennifer Faythe
Jennifer Faythe marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Jennifer Heinrich
Jennifer Heinrich rated it liked it
May 20, 2016
Erica Myles
Erica Myles rated it it was ok
Jun 24, 2016
Marliv
Marliv rated it it was ok
May 12, 2016
Marissa
Marissa rated it really liked it
May 11, 2016
Ren
Ren rated it it was ok
May 10, 2016
Rae
Rae rated it liked it
May 09, 2016
alessandria n. shines
alessandria n. shines rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2016
Jennifer rated it liked it
May 06, 2016