Start by marking “Shadow Command (Patrick McLanahan, #14)” as Want to Read:
Shadow Command (Patrick McLanahan, #14)

Shadow Command (Patrick McLanahan #14)

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  1,311 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Based on the Armstrong Space Station orbiting the earth, the Black Stallion spaceplanes of General Patrick McLanahan's Aerospace Battle Force can attack any target on the planet within hours—and its powerful network of satellites can invade any computer network as easily as making a phone call. Western-educated Russian president Leonid Zevitin, one of the ABF's most danger ...more
Published March 17th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published May 13th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Shadow Command, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadow Command

Jul 23, 2008 Thomas rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While Dale Brown is not the greatest storyteller of all time, particularly regarding sometimes predictable plot twists, I have not read a book of his that I did not enjoy. Shadow Command is no exception.
Jul 25, 2008 Kelly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book may be of interest if you are a fan of the author or series but the book failed to capture my interest. Too much techno-babble with not enough plot lead to a disappointing read. I enjoy a good techno-thriller as much as the next reader but give me more plot please.
Aug 17, 2008 Chuck rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Currently working on this one. Author is really good on latest military technology. Makes for a good read.
For those who like futuristic military macho books, you will probably enjoy this. A little to surreal for my tastes even if I considered this science fiction and yet somehow I had to finish to see how they would resolve this.
Nov 11, 2008 Rich rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I actually STOPPED reading this book, couldn't take it anymore (which is rare for me). Brown's prose was not at all engaging. The book seemed to be an opportunity for him to invent all kinds of crazy weapons technologies and blather about them here, there and everywhere. The characters and plot in this book did not "grab me" in the least.
McLanahan is now a General and fighting liberal beauracrats as well as "kill America" bad peeps. Standard fare, fun, escapist.
May 14, 2009 Kellie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I remember really liking Dale Brown's books when I was younger - the military technology was exciting and interesting and made your imagination soar. It has probably been (ahem) 15+ years since I have read him. I was happy to see a familiar character in Patrick McLanahan, and the technology was still intriguing, but I hated the story line. The writing was lame and you could tell it was written by a "military man's man" with regards to women. Blah. It seemed that Brown ran out of time to give a g ...more
Apr 30, 2009 Skip rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Best global conflict, high tech writer, but the plot here is not remotely credible as Patrick McLanahan defies a weak, ineffectual President and takes unilateral action against numerous combatants.
Stephen Kennedy
I have read every Dale Brown book he has written (although not many of the co-authored books). This book was ok and Brown fans will probably enjoy it. Not a book to start with if you haven't read previous books.
Click here to find it in the catalogue.
Good book on par with previous books in this series. Brown has a tendency to develop the plot and characters well, only to rush to the end of the book during the climax and deneument. I find this a little disappointing, but I still enjoyed the book.

Read again, but now in order. Still enjoyed it.
Interesting read, I was not impressed wiht the story, so many characters, so much detail that it became difficult to read without having to re-read previous parts.
Aug 03, 2011 Bruce rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Dale Brown as an author, but his novels are starting to get into a rut. This was a quick read and I enjoyed it, but it seemed like the same thing with a few minor twists from his last two or three novels. I would like to see him start a whole new series and retire the characters of this novel. But if you've enjoyed Brown's other novels, you will enjoy this one.
Jun 16, 2012 Elyse rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What was I thinking? I should have read my own review of Patrick McLanahan story #13. This one was even worse.

Presidential character is a caricature. Protagonist is a military leader gone rogue ~ fully and ridiculously rogue in this one.

I kept thinking that, at some point in the unfolding plot, someone would seriously challenge a military officer who presumes that he knows better than anyone else in the chain of command what is nationally and globally at risk, even tho he doesn't actually have a
Dominic Nicotra
Shadow Command by Dale Brown was not an amazing read technically and the story line was not amazing either. There was lots of technical military references and a bit of action throughout but even the thrilling scenes did not measure up to the fast paced action by our own Matthew Reilly. If you are someone that loves the idea of advanced military projects, unsophisticated political mind games between Russia, America and Iran, and wanting to scream at characters for being oblivious to quite easy-t ...more
Feb 06, 2013 Tim rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Yuk. Could be the beginning of the end for Dale Brown with this clinker. He spends too much time writing about devious Russians, spineless U.S. presidents, weak servicemen with descriptions of parts and procedures of all gadgets instead of interesting story lines. 2 of 10 for this stinker.
Henri Moreaux
Patrick McLanahan returns once again in Shadow Command the 14th book in the series - he probably should have just stayed home.

Obnoxious cardboard character for a president carried over from previous book, poor introductions of new characters, stereotypical bimbo females, and the list goes on. It's almost as if this book was written by a ghost writer, but alas more likely it's just been spat out for another publishers cheque.

The book wraps up with an awful sense of deja vu that we'll be revisiti
May 10, 2013 Denis rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Do I really have to give it a star?

This is a terrible book. The worst problem is that few characters with any real importance have any believability at all. The President of the US is so obnoxious and stupid that he makes a certain recent GOP president with a brand issue look like a combination of Einstein, Machiavelli, and Leonardo DaVinci all rolled into one.

If this wasn't an abridged audio book, there would be no way I would have endured it to the bitter end.

To all the reviewers that gave th
Jul 28, 2013 Shauna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
General Patrick McLanahan is the commander of aerospace battle force. During his sweeps he uncovers possible soviet activity in Iran and proceeds to investigate and take action. The president of the United States is trying to shut down the aerospace program and orders the General to stand down. I liked the adventure and secrecy of the mission but the President was a power hungry, womanizing idiot and hard to believe. Wait, it seems we had a president similar to this.
Alex Murphy
OK his newer books don't seem as good since his has mixed his standalone novels with his McLanahan books. Ending seemed a bit rushed compared to the rest of the book. If a big fan then read but otherwise leave be.
Fredrick Danysh
Dec 30, 2013 Fredrick Danysh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Russia and the US have completed a war with an uneasy peace. Each supports a different side in the civil war in Iran. When an american plane is shot down, General Patrick McLanahan retaliates from aboard the American space platform. Soon the presidents of both Russia and the US try to eliminate and his futuristic technology programs.
The story was full with high and lows. I wish it was slightly less technical. Half of your mind needs to keep track of the technical jargon throughout the book.
Jan 30, 2015 Bob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
More adventure with Dream Works and Gen. Patrick McLanahan as he battles a Russian President out to get the Armstrong space station shut down and the space planes of the Aerospace force grounded. He also has to deal with a weak president who wants the same thing so he has funds for his favorite carrier battle groups he wants to build. Action all the way through this one as well as confronting the (US) President's maneuvers to shut McLanahan down.
Jon Burden
Jon Burden rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2015
Olaf Thunderfoot
Nov 10, 2015 Olaf Thunderfoot rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My only bitch is that Dale explains things 3 or 4 times in each book when it only needs to be explained once.
Michael DeMarco
Another good book in the series, but a little too talky at times, plus some scenes of a lot of people around a table talking, lose place on who are who - but some good action and the ending was interesting for the series to keep going.
Rob Perschau
Book goes from almost boring as the reader learns about dozens of futuristic armaments; to excitingly fast-paced as battles break out; to slow and anticlimatic as things are wrapped up. It's the first Dale Brown book I've read, and I can't say I've been hooked.
Three stars because it's the 14th book of a series, so I was a bit lost character wise. Either way, it isn't my cup of tea, so I don't see myself bothering to read the other books.
Aug 03, 2016 Olof rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love these stories. BUT the author is not very good at conclusions. I really wish this book had had twice the length and four times the complexity. The storytelling is Great, I just wish that smooth and interesting language could paint a bigger, more complex picture with more twists and turns. It is too straight forward, and in that don't feel too realistic. Had it been more complex, the "twist" ending would not have felt like a deus ex machina, which is what I feel now.
During the book I was s
  • Day of Wrath
  • America (Jake Grafton #9)
  • Hunter Killer (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #8)
  • More Than Courage (Nathan Dixon, #3)
Former U.S. Air Force captain Dale Brown is the superstar author of 25 consecutive New York Times best-selling military-action-aviation adventure novels: FLIGHT OF THE OLD DOG (1987), SILVER TOWER (1988), DAY OF THE CHEETAH (1989), HAMMERHEADS (1990), SKY MASTERS (1991), NIGHT OF THE HAWK (1992), CHAINS OF COMMAND (1993), STORMING HEAVEN (1994), SHADOWS OF STEEL (1996) and FATAL TERRAIN (1997), TH ...more
More about Dale Brown...

Patrick McLanahan (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Flight of the Old Dog (Patrick McLanahan, #1)
  • Night of the Hawk (Patrick McLanahan, #2)
  • Sky Masters (Patrick McLanahan, #3)
  • Day of the Cheetah (Patrick McLanahan, #4)
  • Shadows of Steel (Patrick McLanahan, #5)
  • Fatal Terrain (Patrick McLanahan, #6)
  • The Tin Man (Patrick McLanahan, #7)
  • Battle Born (Patrick McLanahan, #8)
  • Warrior Class (Patrick McLanahan, #9)
  • Wings of Fire (Patrick McLanahan, #10)