Start by marking “Suitcase Full of Dreams” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Suitcase Full of Dreams

Hoy Kersh

Suitcase Full of Dreams

Published July 1st 2010 by Cozilove Enterprises (first published May 15th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Suitcase Full of Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Suitcase Full of Dreams

Karen Whittingham
LOVED THIS BOOK! I almost passed up reading it and am so glad I sat down to give it a try! Fell in love almost instantly! It reminds me so much of growing up in the '50's in an African-American neighborhood, although mine was in the north (and I was the 'white cousin' to someone 'colored' too). So there's the charm of nostalgia, for me. But beyond that, this book is incredibly well written, poetic, lyrical, sensual, with precious, perfect little cameos of people, homes, times and seasons that ...more
Linda
Feb 14, 2011 Linda rated it liked it
Memoir of growing up in Jim Crow South (Mobile, AL) is an intimate poem of childhood delights and adolescent discovery against a gently told backdrop of poverty, injustice and anger. But the march for freedom had begun, and rebellious Cat was “full of wonder and magic, piss and vinegar.” Prejudice doesn't sit well with Cat, civil rights leaders are inspiring, and she hears the call of the north. An excellent introductory story before tackling The Warmth of Other Suns.
Emily (Heinlen) Davis
This book wasn't really my type of book. The plot was OK, but it didn't really grab my attention. The same goes for the writing style. I found it to be clunky in places, but, overall, it was OK. I also found some sections to be too informal, almost like it was transcribed from a recording. However, I did like the concept of the story...the first person historical narrative. That was neat.
Robin
Robin added it
May 12, 2011
Kweli
Kweli marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2011
Phyllis
Phyllis marked it as to-read
May 27, 2012
Donovan
Donovan marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2013
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
justablondemoment
justablondemoment marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2016