The Maverick Experiment

The Maverick Experiment

2.97 of 5 stars 2.97  ·  rating details  ·  151 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Breaking all the rules, a battle-hardened group of fighters confront Afghan terrorists on their own terms

In wartime, some operations have to be conducted outside the normal lines of authority. Nowhere is this more true than in modern Afghanistan, the setting for this riveting military thriller.

Derek Stevens is an experienced interrogator fluent in multiple languages and h...more
Published January 1st 2011 by Greenleaf Book Group, LLC

Philip
This book was rather straight-forward, not particularly deep, but entertaining. There was a while at the beginning when I was a little concerned about how flippantly this team killed people who were in their way, but I got over it. I'm not sure if that's good or not.

I know I've read lots of other books with lots of dead people. The wars in various fantasy and historical fiction stories I've read, but something about this one made the killing seem more immediate and terrible. Maybe because it too...more
Jenny Rose
The Maverick Experiment by Drew Berquist is about a secret team of the best soldiers who act outside the rules. Though they are formed and hired by the CIA, they don’t really exist and nobody knows what they are doing where. While the idea is thrilling and exciting, the action becomes so fast-paced that it can be hard to follow. Is this supposed to be some far-fetched idea of the author as the only way to get certain things done? Or is Berquist giving us a peak into the way the government really...more
_yay_
As a senior intelligence consultant for the United States government Berquist might know what he's talking about, but he clearly isn't good at writing. Certain words are repeatedly used (which is annoying), the plot is practically non-existent, the dialogue flat and the attempt(s) at humor not even worth a mention. I'm all for giving credit where it's due and normally it doesn't take much for me to enjoy a read, but in this case I struggled - hard - to finish it. All these shortcomings make me w...more
Daniela
I had to actually go back and change my book review to 5 stars. At first I was skeptical about the subject matter, war, Afghanistan, terrorism, to be honest with you, I felt like I was quite saturated by the news with that kind of information. However, the writing style of this young man is so captivating that I could not put this book down and almost didn't put this book down in two days. That's all it took to read this one and it was a fascinating and very interesting read. An inside story on...more
Karin
Page turner

Loved it, this book was a great action packed edge of your seat page turner. Hoping Drew writes more soon.
Layne
Overall it was a good book. Story line was well written. I didn't think the characters were well developed. Overall I thought the book lacked depth. It was interesting to take a diversion from non-fiction and read something just for fun, but this book didn't deliver like I hoped it would.
H.L. Reasby
The concept is intriguing and the writing isn't bad, but this could have been a much stronger book. The only viewpoint we're really privvy to is that of the main character Derek. We're told that the relationships between the men are strong and that we should care about them, but we're never REALLY given any reason to care.

The book ends as a setup to a series so my hope for the next one is that the author steps it up a couple notches and gives us more insight into the other characters and allows...more
Kristi
I started reading this book before I read the reviews. At first, I couldn't understand why people weren't die-hard fans, but after finishing the book, I can see why. I'll admit, the book starts out strong. I was very intrigued by the renegade maverick team, however, it loses steam in the middle and falls flat at the end. I kept waiting for something big to happen, but for me, it never did.
Paul Steele
This book was rather straight-forward, you can get the plot teasers in the book description above. Entertaining, but not particularly deep.

I did enjoy the book. The writing of the action was well done. I get the the impression that the author knows what he is writing about.
J. Ewbank
This book by Drew Berquist is a decent read and an enjoyable one. The characters are fleshed out well enough to enjoy them and the plot will keep your attention. Enjoyed it.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
Rich
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The irony of this book was, I read it at the same time as Bin Laden's death. Huge parallel in the story and true life. I'm retired military and love this style of writing. Not exactly Clancy... but a good substitute.
Readalot
The problem with this book is the author. The book is not the worst book I have ever read but it could have been so much more. It's ok. If you are stuck with the phone book and this book, then it's great. Otherwise, don't waste your time on this.
Eric
Jun 16, 2011 Eric rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of gritty military books
Recommended to Eric by: Free download on Amazon.com
This was a quick, easy-to-read black-ops thriller, and while it had little in the way of character depth, it made up for that with break-neck pacing and high body counts, as well as an authentic feel for how operations in the U.S. military work.
Mandy
This was a pretty quick read. Not a lot in the way of character development, but an interesting story of a black ops team of 5 American agents sent to do what the government can't officially do. It is left wide open for sequels.
Michael
This novel, if I may beg indulgence for my attempted eloquence, is a turd. Further, it is a turd of such epic size that it will require both plunger and professional help to purge it from you tank. Please avoid.
Carol Preflatish
I love CIA novels. The author's details were great. The plot kept my interest, and the characters were believable, but there were a lot of typos in the book and that distracted me.
Brian
Good but needs some editing.

The book is good. Fast action and a believable plot. The ebook version, however, needs to be looked at. Quite a few spelling errors.
Jeff
Interesting premise, well thought out characters and a heap of detail about tactics and training. Read it right after the Pakistan raid, so I thought it was quite timely.
Addison
There was a lot of indiscriminate killing, but I guess that was the intent. Other than some awkward dialog, it was well written. The action scenes were spot on.
Jack
Not my kind of book - macho adventure involving killing people - end justifies the means - America saves the world
Partha
A spy story by a former spy. Nothing like The Bourne books but still racy and intriguing. A definite page-turner.
Bill Davis
Hope the author's writing style improves as he adds more books to the series.
Latisha
very exciting! It makes you wonder if this is really happening. A quick read.
Anne-Marie
It was a quick easy read and the story moved along quickly.
Jeff Hawley
A bit too improbable for my taste
Keith
Good start, then not as good later.
AH
Apr 01, 2011 AH marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Kobo free download 4/1/11
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
  • The Shepherd
  • As the Crow Dies
  • Paid In Blood (NCIS, #1)
  • The Defector (Janac's Games, #1)
  • Shrouded in Silence
  • Blood of My Brother
  • Dead Deceiver (A Loon Lake Mystery, #11)
  • Truth and Consequences (Hearts of the South, #1)
  • No Fear
  • Chasing Eden
  • Heir To The Everlasting
  • Monday Night Jihad
  • Hostage in Havana (Cuban Trilogy, #1)
  • Guns
  • All Through the Night
  • Eyewall
  • Hybrid
  • Samurai Strategy
Drew Berquist is an author and senior intelligence consultant for United States government with operational training from multiple intelligence agencies including the CIA, DIA and NSA.

Over the course of 16 deployments to Afghanistan and the surrounding region, he has conducted counterterrorism and counterinsurgency operations in support of a special access program in Afghanistan. Prior to this pos...more
More about Drew Berquist...