Start by marking “Ticket Masters: The Rise of the Concert Industry and How the Public Got Scalped” as Want to Read:
Ticket Masters: The Rise of the Concert Industry and How the Public Got Scalped

Ticket Masters: The Rise of the Concert Industry and How the Public Got Scalped

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  18 reviews
?In the spring of 1975 a trio of neophyte businessmen backed an old Chrysler onto a sun-baked Arizona driveway and convened in their new office. The garage start-up, dubbed Ticketmaster, would come to achieve such market dominance over the following decades some critics would denounce the company as an unlawful monopoly. Yet its path to the top was far from inevitable and ...more
Published June 1st 2011 by ECW Press

To ask other readers questions about Ticket Masters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ticket Masters

Orsolya
Concerts aren’t necessarily always “fun” when we take into account the high-cost of tickets, service charges, parking, and the fact that we can’t seem to get our hands on the “good seats”. My professional career is in the music marketing industry, so although I have attended concerts for free; I remember my days as a “fan”. Dean Budnick and Josh Baron present an in-depth look into the concert promoting/ticketing industry with “Ticket Masters”.

“Ticket Masters” instantly hits the ground running w
Dan Dion
Although it can be difficult to follow all the names thrown around, this is the best explanation I have ever read about how the concert industry, one that I have worked in, functions... or rather...disfunctions.
Chris Lund
Good overview of not just the history of ticketing systems, but also of the concert industry as a whole. Certainly shines a light on where all your money is going when you buy a concert ticket (whether it be on the primary or secondary market), and how pretty much everybody on the chain is getting a piece of the action. Would have given it a higher rating, but the writing style makes it pretty tough to read at points. Lots of run-on sentences, temporal jumps and the occasional typo. There's also ...more
Greebs
I've had this book tucked away for quite awhile, as I work in the industry and find it fascinating - especially the misinformation that is out there about things like how many concert tickets are made available to the general public, the deals ticketing agencies have made with artists and venues, and the rise of the secondary ticketing market (where I work).

Ticket Masters: The Rise of the Concert Industry and How the Public Got Scalped has a pretty leading title, and it delivers against that -
Jeremy Anderson
Great look at the history of ticketing and why we are where we are today.

The history is pretty in depth, the more recent happening are a bit light in the description. There could be more on organized scalping, and artist self scalping.

I never wanted to stop reading, and the backstabbing and intrigue is good.
Steve
This was kind of a slow read for me with lots of details about the people and developments of the ticket industry.

But as an avid concert goer since the early and mid-70's it was really interesting to learn how ticketing really works and why shows are so expensive.

We learn how some of the artists that we think "are on our side" get tickets and immediately sell them to the secondary market, essentially scalpers. We learn how hard bands like the Grateful Dead worked to serve their fans in an honest
Allison
Long story short: Tickets are expensive and there's little we can do about it. I wanted more details about the music industry and less about the people developing the ticketing software. The cast of characters became confusing and overwhelming. I do feel more aware of how the industry finds ways to make the most from the audience, but there doesn't seem to be much we can do about it. The best tip: When you buy a ticket you are agreeing the show is worth that price.
Nicola
I must admit I'm not sure I understood all I read. This is a well-researched, comprehensive book and Budnick certainly took pains to trace the relationships between the players, no matter how removed they were. If you have no sense of business and finance, this book might lose you, as it did me in many places. Still, I feel intrigued at this look into the inner workings of an industry you think you know, but really, who does?
Dan Thomas
If anyone has ever wondered about the history of the concert ticketing industry, read this. Rather than told as a dry history, it reads as a compelling drama in which characters are introduced throughout. Equal parts fascinating, frustrating, compelling and maddening, you will never look at TicketMaster the same way. If you hated them before, well, this will increase your anger 10 fold.
Nina
I'm actually a few chapters short of finishing this book. I sort of got lost because I was not using the (super-helpful) index of names mentioned in the back of the book. I kept forgetting who people were, and i just gave up. The book is actually very in depth and interesting if you're in the field. I will go back and re-read one day. It was a must-own for me!
Kristian
A lot of great information for sure. This book really breaks down the history of the concert industry and ticketing (primarily from a Rock perspective). Kind of dry throughout. Took me quite awhile to read, so I'd recommend taking breaks from the lengthy details in this book to read others.
Dawn
Fantastic overview of the concert and ticket industries and the effects on legislation, high ticket prices, and fans. Anyone interested in the history of rock or tied to the events/ticketing industry would find this a compelling read. Relaxing style is a plus.
Lawrence
i highly recommend this book to anyone working in the modern music industry. some minor quibbles (could have benefited from slightly tighter editing and some minor factual errors) but overall an excellent read
Dan
Thorough history of the ticketing industry and a broad view of how the music industry works. Great anecdotes and, despite the subtitle, a fairly bipartisan approach.
Dave Moyer
Jun 27, 2011 Dave Moyer rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Concert Goers
Solid description of the evolution of ticketing and the concert industry, which is both interesting and appalling at the same time.
Damian
unless you want to know every piece of paper signed to make these companies, don't bother.
Rob Goretsky
Very thorough and incredibly well researched, but so detailed that it got dull at points...
Chris
Surprisingly interesting.
Rebecca Weisbart
Rebecca Weisbart marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Charles Carlini
Charles Carlini is currently reading it
Dec 17, 2014
Celeste
Celeste marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Kerry
Kerry marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Kayla Mckinney
Kayla Mckinney marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Deanna Chapman
Deanna Chapman marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Brian
Brian is currently reading it
Nov 27, 2014
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
  • Branded Beauty: How Marketing Changed the Way We Look
  • The Last Sultan: The Life and Times of Ahmet Ertegun
  • Wine Wars
  • Gimme Something Better: The Profound, Progressive, and Occasionally Pointless History of Bay Area Punk from Dead Kennedys to Green Day
  • Crash Course: The American Automobile Industry's Road from Glory to Disaster
  • The Great A&P and the Struggle for Small Business in America
  • The Road to Woodstock
  • Far and Away: A Prize Every Time
  • Punching Out: One Year in a Closing Auto Plant
  • Ashes to Ashes: America's Hundred-Year Cigarette War, the Public Health, and the Unabashed Triumph of Philip Morris
  • Squeezed: What You Don't Know About Orange Juice
  • The Future of Music: Manifesto for the Digital Music Revolution
  • Appetite for Self-Destruction: The Spectacular Crash of the Record Industry in the Digital Age
  • The Hollywood Economist: The Hidden Financial Reality Behind the Movies
  • Car Guys vs. Bean Counters: The Battle for the Soul of American Business
  • Chocolate Wars: The 150-Year Rivalry Between the World's Greatest Chocolate Makers
  • Return to the Little Kingdom: Steve Jobs, the Creation of Apple, and How It Changed the World
  • Stone Brewing Co.'s Guide to Craft Beer: Recipes and Techniques from the Leading American Microbrewery
The Phishing Manual: A Compendium to the Music of Phish Jam Bands: North America's Hottest Live Groups Plus How to Tape and Trade Their Shows