Start by marking “Ticket Masters: The Rise of the Concert Industry and How the Public Got Scalped” as Want to Read:
Ticket Masters: The Rise of the Concert Industry and How the Public Got Scalped

Ticket Masters: The Rise of the Concert Industry and How the Public Got Scalped

?In the spring of 1975 a trio of neophyte businessmen backed an old Chrysler onto a sun-baked Arizona driveway and convened in their new office. The garage start-up, dubbed Ticketmaster, would come to achieve such market dominance over the following decades some critics would denounce the company as an unlawful monopoly. Yet its path to the top was far from inevitable and ...more
Published June 1st 2011 by ECW Press

To ask other readers questions about Ticket Masters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ticket Masters

Orsolya
Jun 16, 2011 Orsolya rated it really liked it
Concerts aren’t necessarily always “fun” when we take into account the high-cost of tickets, service charges, parking, and the fact that we can’t seem to get our hands on the “good seats”. My professional career is in the music marketing industry, so although I have attended concerts for free; I remember my days as a “fan”. Dean Budnick and Josh Baron present an in-depth look into the concert promoting/ticketing industry with “Ticket Masters”.

“Ticket Masters” instantly hits the ground running w
Dan Dion
Nov 11, 2014 Dan Dion rated it liked it
Although it can be difficult to follow all the names thrown around, this is the best explanation I have ever read about how the concert industry, one that I have worked in, functions... or rather...disfunctions.
Matthew
May 30, 2011 Matthew rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2012
I've had this book tucked away for quite awhile, as I work in the industry and find it fascinating - especially the misinformation that is out there about things like how many concert tickets are made available to the general public, the deals ticketing agencies have made with artists and venues, and the rise of the secondary ticketing market (where I work).

Ticket Masters: The Rise of the Concert Industry and How the Public Got Scalped has a pretty leading title, and it delivers against that -
Chris Lund
Jul 20, 2014 Chris Lund rated it liked it
Shelves: business, music
Good overview of not just the history of ticketing systems, but also of the concert industry as a whole. Certainly shines a light on where all your money is going when you buy a concert ticket (whether it be on the primary or secondary market), and how pretty much everybody on the chain is getting a piece of the action. Would have given it a higher rating, but the writing style makes it pretty tough to read at points. Lots of run-on sentences, temporal jumps and the occasional typo. There's also ...more
Sean Mcfarland
Dec 03, 2015 Sean Mcfarland rated it liked it
Interesting. Really gets into all parts of the history of ticketing. It goes off onto many tangents about the artists and their management. Also, fascinating how a percentage of tickets are never sold on the primary market (i.e. Ticketmaster) and now are directly sold to secondary ticket agencies (i.e. Stub Hub) where the profits are split with the artists or promoters and the ticketing agency. I guess this explain why for a Monster truck show we are going to we paid $83 in service charges, faci ...more
Steve
Dec 04, 2012 Steve rated it it was amazing
This was kind of a slow read for me with lots of details about the people and developments of the ticket industry.

But as an avid concert goer since the early and mid-70's it was really interesting to learn how ticketing really works and why shows are so expensive.

We learn how some of the artists that we think "are on our side" get tickets and immediately sell them to the secondary market, essentially scalpers. We learn how hard bands like the Grateful Dead worked to serve their fans in an honest
D
Dec 20, 2016 D rated it really liked it
I finally finished this book! I've had to pick it up and put it down so many times that I finally bought myself a physical copy and made my way through it (for real, I first borrowed this book from the library in 2012 when it came out). I'm not sure the book answered all of my questions about the ticket industry, and it definitely left me with more questions like "well, what are we going to do about it?" but that wasn't what the book set out to do. It was a great, comprehensive history on the ti ...more
Allison
Jun 26, 2013 Allison rated it liked it
Long story short: Tickets are expensive and there's little we can do about it. I wanted more details about the music industry and less about the people developing the ticketing software. The cast of characters became confusing and overwhelming. I do feel more aware of how the industry finds ways to make the most from the audience, but there doesn't seem to be much we can do about it. The best tip: When you buy a ticket you are agreeing the show is worth that price.
Nicola
Jul 11, 2012 Nicola rated it really liked it
I must admit I'm not sure I understood all I read. This is a well-researched, comprehensive book and Budnick certainly took pains to trace the relationships between the players, no matter how removed they were. If you have no sense of business and finance, this book might lose you, as it did me in many places. Still, I feel intrigued at this look into the inner workings of an industry you think you know, but really, who does?
Alfred Keep
Jun 16, 2016 Alfred Keep rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the history of the whole music making business. The cover is exactly correct. The consumer got screwed. It boggles my mind how Ticketmaster can charge a $12.00 service fee on a ticket. When you are buying the ticket at the box office. I.e. The Saddledome here in Calgary Alberta. There is no way of cutting out the middleman which is Ticketmaster. Overall the book was great.
Dan Thomas
Apr 06, 2013 Dan Thomas rated it it was amazing
If anyone has ever wondered about the history of the concert ticketing industry, read this. Rather than told as a dry history, it reads as a compelling drama in which characters are introduced throughout. Equal parts fascinating, frustrating, compelling and maddening, you will never look at TicketMaster the same way. If you hated them before, well, this will increase your anger 10 fold.
Jeremy Anderson
Feb 02, 2014 Jeremy Anderson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great look at the history of ticketing and why we are where we are today.

The history is pretty in depth, the more recent happening are a bit light in the description. There could be more on organized scalping, and artist self scalping.

I never wanted to stop reading, and the backstabbing and intrigue is good.
Nina
Oct 17, 2011 Nina rated it it was amazing
I'm actually a few chapters short of finishing this book. I sort of got lost because I was not using the (super-helpful) index of names mentioned in the back of the book. I kept forgetting who people were, and i just gave up. The book is actually very in depth and interesting if you're in the field. I will go back and re-read one day. It was a must-own for me!
Lawrence
Jul 05, 2011 Lawrence rated it it was amazing
Shelves: music, business
i highly recommend this book to anyone working in the modern music industry. some minor quibbles (could have benefited from slightly tighter editing and some minor factual errors) but overall an excellent read
Robert Kolcon
Aug 06, 2016 Robert Kolcon rated it it was amazing
A concise history of of the concert industry which started with local and regional promoters and became the behemoth we know today that is dominated by Ticketmaster/Live Nation. If you've ever wondered how we got from there to here, this is the book for you.
Dawn
Mar 15, 2014 Dawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic overview of the concert and ticket industries and the effects on legislation, high ticket prices, and fans. Anyone interested in the history of rock or tied to the events/ticketing industry would find this a compelling read. Relaxing style is a plus.
Kristian
Nov 18, 2013 Kristian rated it liked it
A lot of great information for sure. This book really breaks down the history of the concert industry and ticketing (primarily from a Rock perspective). Kind of dry throughout. Took me quite awhile to read, so I'd recommend taking breaks from the lengthy details in this book to read others.
Chris
Mar 08, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it
Surprisingly interesting.
Damo
Jul 12, 2014 Damo rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
unless you want to know every piece of paper signed to make these companies, don't bother.
Dave Moyer
Jun 27, 2011 Dave Moyer rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Concert Goers
Solid description of the evolution of ticketing and the concert industry, which is both interesting and appalling at the same time.
Rob Goretsky
Aug 15, 2013 Rob Goretsky rated it liked it
Very thorough and incredibly well researched, but so detailed that it got dull at points...
Dan
Aug 07, 2012 Dan rated it it was amazing
Thorough history of the ticketing industry and a broad view of how the music industry works. Great anecdotes and, despite the subtitle, a fairly bipartisan approach.
Shaun
Shaun rated it liked it
May 06, 2012
Ken
Ken rated it liked it
May 29, 2011
John
John rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2015
Andrew Riedmueller
Andrew Riedmueller rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2015
Beefheartfan
Beefheartfan rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2011
Graeme
Graeme rated it did not like it
Mar 14, 2013
Andy
Andy rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2012
Brad
Brad rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Everything I Know About Business I Learned from the Grateful Dead: The Ten Most Innovative Lessons from a Long, Strange Trip
  • The Last Sultan: The Life and Times of Ahmet Ertegun
  • Gimme Something Better: The Profound, Progressive, and Occasionally Pointless History of Bay Area Punk from Dead Kennedys to Green Day
  • Branded Beauty: How Marketing Changed the Way We Look
  • The Future of Music: Manifesto for the Digital Music Revolution
  • Secret Formulas of the Wizard of Ads
  • Fromms: How Julius Fromm's Condom Empire Fell to the Nazis
  • The 500 Greatest Albums of All Times
  • Chocolate Wars: The 150-Year Rivalry Between the World's Greatest Chocolate Makers
  • Drugs, Oil & War: The United States in Afghanistan, Colombia & Indochina
  • Wine Wars
  • A Sea in Flames: The Deepwater Horizon Oil Blowout
  • OBD: Obsessive Branding Disorder: The Illusion of Business and the Business of Illusion
  • The Mansion on the Hill: Dylan, Young, Geffen, Springsteen, and the Head-on Collision of Rock and Commerc e