Red Run

Red Run

3.27 of 5 stars 3.27  ·  rating details  ·  174 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Any father’s worst nightmare.

A knock on the door in the middle of the night.

A police detective tells you your daughter’s been found beaten to death.

Evidence links your son to the killing.

What will you do to prove your son’s innocence? Will you sacrifice your own?
Published November 21st 2010 by Paradox Publications (first published November 20th 2010)

Laura Laporta
the 1 stars is for the first chapter. The only good thing about this book! I found myself skimming through the pages and getting agitated with the story. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY.

I had such high hopes for this book! i was excited to read it...The first chapter was good, it pulled you in immediately, but It was boring by the second chapter. I kept hoping for it to pick up, provide some kind of information, get thick into the plot, or even let you get to know a character. half way through the book t...more
Hilary
I gave up 67% of the way through after realizing that not only were the characters awkward and their actions forced, but also that I really didn't care in the slightest.

It's marketed as a crime book but really is just lots of back and forth between the ex-wife, the brother-in-law and Ethan. It may be realistic for the characters' history, but it was way too circular and two-dimensional to keep me reading. I'm not even sure why I read as much as I did.
Tim Rucinski
It wasn’t until about three quarters of the way through the book that I realized where it was giving me trouble. But more on that later.

First let me say that I enjoy Cornell’s writing style and am a big fan of the Lockman books. Secondly, his portrayal of the seedy side of life comes across realistically and uncomfortably with the characters he has created and the environment in which they live. Thirdly, as a parent, nothing could be worse than what our protagonist, Ethan, goes through in trying...more
Jordan McCollum
Good story well written. I was interested in this book because of the family dynamic in the blurb, but I really got into the storyline of Ethan trying to rise above his juvenile delinquent past that he'd tried to leave behind.

Caveat: a LOT of swearing. My husband read a page or two of the book (toward the end, over my shoulder) and was disappointed in me for continuing to read. A few more typos than I like to see, but not terribly distracting.

I called the killer early on (thought it was the perf...more
Linda
A very well written book. I was not sure who killed Ethan's daughter until the final page of the book. The language was 'descriptive', but it fit the book and the characters. The mechanics of good writing were fine. For readers who like a mixed genre, this is a perfect book. It was not wordy, did not stray off the plot (a minor miracle) and was entertaining in a macabre way.
Thank you, Mr. Cornell, for a good read.
Christopher Carter
A very good read but for me personally I did not like any of the characters. The main character of the book Ethan was frustrating and very difficult for me to have any sympathy or empathy for during the first half of the book. Graham, Ethan's son, is a typical and frustrating scared 17 year old and eventually I did come around to understanding his motivations along with Ethan and so by mid way through the story I grew to empathize and understand the characters and their motivations. Three way qu...more
Mwrogers
I had to force myself to finish this book. Hated all of the characters.... Totally unlikeable. I was hoping they would all go to jail!
Wonderkell
Red Run is a non stop emotional rollercoaster and thriller. The book opens with Ethan's daughter Ali having been murdered, and from then on we are given the heartbreaking perspective of what it is like for a father to lose a daughter in such a horrendous way. To make matters worse, the police begin to think that Ethan's son Graham is responsible for his sister's death. Ethan will do anything to protect his son and find his little girl's real killer, including inviting his terrible past back into...more
Stephen Hunt
I discovered Rob Cornell's work through Twitter first then, in time, bought a couple of his books. I think I started with the wrong one, however. Red Run certainly shows he can write - there is a real zip to his writing. And yet I found it really hard to engage with this book, and it's largely down to not finding characters that were likeable. The lead characters inhabit a world of violence and failure, abuse of substances or one another filling their past. In all of that, it's difficult to latc...more
Lynda Kelly
This wasn't quite what I expected. OK, I knew a daughter had been found murdered but if I'd thought my son had anything to do with it I wouldn't be running from the police with him, I'd probably be turning him in !! The father in this story just runs taking his son along. In a lot of respects it seemed to stretch my belief a bit.
It was quite well written with a few mistakes, though. There were spaces in words that needn't be for some reason-like in god damned or light weight. Then quite was used...more
Ryan
A story that exists mainly in the seedy underbelly of society, and deals with struggling to escape your past. The main character, Ethan, is awoken one night to find that his troublesome 15 year old daughter Ali has been found dead in a nearby river. Not long after, his son Graham is revealed to be the primary suspect, but before the police can lock him up and head toward a trial, Ethan takes off with his son, running from the law. With the aid of his current girlfriend Sadie, Ethan runs away fro...more
Rob
Good read! Red Run is a grim and dark thriller with real life, or should I say low life, characters. The dialogs are credible street language that might offend some readers.
Marketed as something for James Patterson fans, I would say the characters nor the story teller show any of Patterson's wit or intelligence. But I liked it: 3 stars.

Makes me curious for Rob Cornell's next book, however. I know he has written some vampire novels, which I'll skip. But I will keep an eye on his next thriller.

I g...more
Chris Hughes
Somewhat predictable. Overall it was a quick read but was just okay.
Christopher Hill
I have enjoyed Rob Cornell's Lockman series, so I decided to explore some of his other works. Red Run was a different style than the Lockman books, more of a murder mystery set in Detroit where Ethan's (the main character) daughter Alison is found murdered, evidence points to his son Graham, and what Ethan is willing to do to save his son. I liked the overall direction of the story and it did not turn out as I had expected, making it an enjoyable read. There were some holes in it and questions u...more
Jane Donnelly
Even though I didn't really like the characters In this book, I couldn't put it down. I think this was because the characters were complex and well developed and the book was psychologically and emotionally believable. I figured out who the killer was halfway through, which was disappointing. I will read another book by this author but not right away. I have to shake this one off a little first.
Douglas Cook
I had a difficult time finishing this book, as it is much darker than is my taste. It is violent, at times macabre, and projects (to me) helplessness from every chapter.

First sentence
In some ways, Ethan Trent had waited years for the knock at his door.

Cornell, Rob (2013-03-12). Red Run (Kindle Locations 8-9). Paradox Publications. Kindle Edition.
Ann Alton
3.5 stars. Rob Cornell is extremely talented, able to get into the minds and dysfunction of his characters and their relationships. Red Run is a mystery, but more than that, it's a profile of addiction and abusive relationships, the difficulty of breaking free, and the way patterns in relationships can pull you back in.
Angel
Pretty good for fans of Patterson, but not quite as masterful. It was weird to me that no one seemed to mourn the death that was the inciting incident, just jumped into solve it. This is fiction, after all. I did figure out the killer early on, go me.
Krista
Mar 17, 2013 Krista rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
The reviews made this book appear to be just my type. Unfortunately the comparisons were very wrong. The first 3/4 of the book draws out a less than interesting family. The main action comes in the very last part and can't save the book.
Leslie Callahan
The book ended up to be nothing like I thought it would. The author had the characters do some really dumb things but kept my interest, always wanted to see what was going to happen next
Anne
Ariveting! Impossible to put down, so I consumed this book in one day because I couldn't wait to find out what was going to happen! Awesome reading!
First book I've read by Rob Cornell but not my last. I really enjoyed this book and it kept my interest all the way through.
Diana
Dark, gritty thriller. I kind of like a happily ever after ending, but that's not going to happen here.
Janell Barney
Good read. I often wanted to smack Ethan for being so danged stubborn but over all it was a good story
Katie
Easy and quick murder mystery. I read through it really quickly. I would read another from Rob Cornell.
Tanya
Great mystery! I really liked how the author keeps you interested, but some parts I felt dragged on forever.
Sabrina
I was sucked in from the first page straight through the end. Very dramatic, page turner kind of book.
Michelle Fields
I enjoyed reading this book. I was intrigued by the story and trying to figure out "whodunit".
Alicia

I skimmed a lot of this book. I just didn't care for the story line.
Ana Henriques
What a really good thriller book. Could not put it down until I finished it. Really good.
  • Silver Justice
  • Covert Reich
  • Jim Knighthorse Series: All Three Books
  • Ascension Day
  • Unhinged
  • A Fatal Verdict (The Trials of Sarah Newby, #2)
  • Creatures of Appetite
  • The Folks at Fifty-Eight
  • Blood Of Others
  • Out of the Shadow
  • Officer Jones
  • Take No More (James Blake, #1)
  • Blood Money
  • Daddy's Home (Holly Jennings #1)
4619015
An accidental nomad, Rob Cornell grew up in suburban Detroit, then spent five years living in Los Angeles before moving to Chicago to receive a BA in Fiction Writing from Columbia College. He has traveled full circle, now living in rural southeast Michigan with his wife, three kids, and dog, Kinsey—named after Sue Grafton’s famous detective. In between moving and writing, he’s worked all manner of...more
More about Rob Cornell...
Darker Things (The Lockman Chronicles, #1) Dark Legion (The Lockman Chronicles #2) Darkest Hour  (The Lockman Chronicles #3) Last Call Darkness Returns (The Lockman Chronicles #4)