Start by marking “Rhetorical Drag: Gender Impersonation, Captivity, and the Writing of History” as Want to Read:
Rhetorical Drag: Gender Impersonation, Captivity, and the Writing of History

Rhetorical Drag: Gender Impersonation, Captivity, and the Writing of History

3.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  6 Ratings  ·  2 Reviews
In this fresh examination of seventeenth-, eighteenth-, and nineteenth-century American captivity narratives, author Lorrayne Carroll argues that male editors and composers impersonated the women presumed to be authors of these documents. This "gender impersonation" significantly shaped the authorial voice and complicated the use of these texts as examples of historical wr ...more
Hardcover
Published December 1st 2006 by Kent State University Press

To ask other readers questions about Rhetorical Drag, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rhetorical Drag

Emma Sea
I'm so proud of myself: I'm dnf'ing this book at p. 89.

I spent more money on it than I'm happy about, and I was so excited about the topic (see comments), but the writing is not structured well, and reading each page is like trying to tap dance through gooey goo.

Yes, an important contribution to the field. But no, not one I want to read for fun.
Jonna Higgins-Freese
A mildly interesting, heavily scholar-speak explication of the ways that male authors/editors appropriated female voice/identity/experience for their own rhetorical purposes. An important reminder that just because many captivity texts present themselves as having been written by women, we shouldn't uncritically presume that they authentically present womens' voices and views.
Elspeth
Elspeth marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Brittany
Brittany rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2016
Kristin
Kristin rated it it was ok
May 07, 2014
Jessica Hovey
Jessica Hovey marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2013
Bronwyn
Bronwyn marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Grete
Grete added it
Jul 27, 2011
Jay Jay
Jay Jay is currently reading it
Oct 04, 2010
Janel C.
Janel C. rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2009