Start by marking “Ash Mistry and the Savage Fortress (Ash Mistry Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Ash Mistry and the Savage Fortress (Ash Mistry Chronicles, #1)

Ash Mistry and the Savage Fortress (Ash Mistry Chronicles #1)

Breathtaking action adventure for 8 to 12-year-olds. Ash Mistry, reluctant hero, faces ancient demons… and comes into an astonishing, magical inheritance.

Varanasi: holy city of the Ganges.
In this land of ancient temples, incense and snake charmers…
Where the monsters and heroes of the past come to life…
One slightly geeky boy from our time…
IS GOING TO KICK SOME DEMON ASS.

Ash
Published March 1st 2012 by HarperCollinsChildren’sBooks

To ask other readers questions about Ash Mistry and the Savage Fortress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ash Mistry and the Savage Fortress

Rick Riordan
Apr 28, 2014 Rick Riordan rated it really liked it
Sarwat Chadda does a fantastic job bringing Hindu folklore into the modern world, especially the most famous tale, and my personal favorite: the Ramayana. Ash Mistry travels with his family from London to India to stay with relatives while his father consults on a strange archaeological dig. Soon, Ash discovers that demons and gods are alive and well, and he is called upon to save the world from the rise of the Demon King Ravana. Super fun adventure story where myth meets modern, Indian style!
Rose
I finished this book a little while ago and simply forgot to mark it, but on the whole? This was an excellent MG book, and reading it gives much more context for events for the second book "The City of Death." I love the Ash Minstry series and can't wait to read more of it. The mythology, action sequences, humor - all of it really intrigued me throughout the story.

Review to come.
Alison
Jan 31, 2012 Alison rated it it was amazing
Growing up in the 1970s, I was a big fan of fantasy and science fiction (Star Trek, Blake's Seven, Doctor Who) and loved reading The Hobbit and other fantasy books. It took me a while to realise that there was something a little odd about J.R.R. Tolkien's world. Simply put, where were the girls? Why was it only male dwarfs and wizards on the adventure? At secondary school we barely read any novels with girls in until Pride and Prejudice at O level.

I remembered this feeling as a teacher, and trie
Bridget
Fast paced action and good writing. A bit gory near the end, but not awful. My one complaint is the hyper irritating transformation of the main character from chubby to skinny, and the way that's portrayed as him losing his weakness and growing into a fierce hero. Cause fat kids can't be heroes or anything. He even says something like "I guess I just had to diet and exercise" to lose weight. Ugh. I just... chubby or fat kids don't need to hear that more than they already do. I don't know why he ...more
Skip
Dec 31, 2014 Skip rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is an Indian version of Percy Jackson and the Greek Gods, and Rick Riordan's GR review of the book is excellent. 13-year old Ash Mistry discovers he has extraordinary power and finds himself trying to defeat the reanimation of the demon king Ravana, battling a wealthy British businessman and his demon helpers. I liked Ash best when he was being trained by the beggars, and when he was lusting after the serpent woman because it made him feel like a normal person.
Dark Faerie Tales
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: A boy stumbles upon a mythical arrowhead and has to save the world.

Opening Sentence: “That is so not a cobra,” said Ash.

The Review:

You’ve probably heard of Greek and Roman mythology (Any Percy Jackson fans out there?) Or maybe even a bit of Norse mythology (Thor, son of Odin, a.k.a. Chris Hemsworth *sighs*). But have you even thought of India’s mythology? Sarwat’s The Savage Fortress gives you just enough information to wet your pallet in t
TheBookSmugglers
Apr 11, 2012 TheBookSmugglers rated it really liked it
Ash Mistry and younger his sister Lucky are visiting their family in India during their school holidays. Ash had been excited about the trip, history geek that he is, but he is now ready to go back to London and resume his teenage life of gaming with his friends. But then his uncle is hired by Lord Savage, a rich mysterious man, to decipher ancient scrolls. These scrolls are connected to one of the most famous stories in India: the Ramayana, the epic story of the fight between the hero Rama ...more
Shanshad Whelan
I'm back and forth about this one as a children's book. People die in horrific and vivid ways--other people are described as tortured in even more horrific ways. The main character is 13, and some parts of this book are on target for that tween audience that loves Riordan's stuff. But I think this book may really cross a line. Unlike Riordan's stories that balance action and danger with humor, this book really doesn't have a sense of humor very often. It tries occasionally to do so, but I found ...more
Jasmine
Nov 01, 2014 Jasmine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I learned a lot about indian folklore while reading this.

Indian folklore is TERRIFYING.
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
I first became acquainted with Sarwat Chadda when I read Devil's Kiss, and I knew he was an author I wanted to follow. Chadda has switched gears slightly, writing for the MG/Juvenile group with this series, and with a male lead. He has also set his book in India, I believe that he was drawing in some degree from his own heritage. With The Savage Fortress, Mr. Chadda has written an involving read quite full of darkness and danger, and incredible heroism at its center.

General Synopsis

Ash Mistry is
Raina
Something about the writing really turned me off right away.

Needed to make a snap decision about what to read for my elementary outreach promotion, so put it down. Didn't give it a proper chance. But probably won't pick it up again. There are so many great books.

Gonna try refraining from giving stars and see how that feels.
grdel
Mar 19, 2012 grdel rated it really liked it
Joe Humphreys
Jul 20, 2012 Joe Humphreys rated it really liked it
As anyone who works with, or writes for, young people knows, when it comes to YA fiction there's always something that's 'in'. At the moment it's dystopian fiction. Before that it was a bunch of sissy vampires doing a lot of navel gazing and talking in inspid cliches (no I'm not a Twilight fan). And so on, and so on. Just bubbling below the flavour of the month are certain genres of YA fiction that, arguably, have greater staying power and lasting appeal. One such is what I you could call ...more
jv poore
Apr 21, 2015 jv poore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s not easy being 13. Ash (Ashoka Mistry), a chubby boy of Indian descent living in England, knows this very well. He is teased because of his weight, his lunch money is stolen; he feels constantly taunted. Actually, this is the easy part. Ash believes that his summer visit with an aunt and uncle in India, accompanied only by his 10 year old sister, Lucky, holds promise. He is mistaken.

The Savage Fortress introduces middle-grade readers to some of the most fascinating Hindu gods and goddesses.
u1124876 UEL
Feb 17, 2012 u1124876 UEL rated it it was amazing
In this book Sarwat Chadda has merged real life with Indian mythology and I find that really thrilling. I borrowed this book from Alison yesterday and finished it this morning!

The publishers have recommended this book for children who are 9+ and I can see children’s imaginations running wild with this story. As I have not yet taught in KS2 I would seek advice on how to best use this book but I can imagine getting wonderful results from it including literacy, RE, geography, art, PE to name but a
Adrianne
Jun 28, 2015 Adrianne rated it really liked it
Before I picked up this book, I knew almost nothing of Indian/Hindu mythology. I was hardly aware of its existence, because I'm used to reading about Roman, Greek, and Egyptian mythology. Nevertheless, I was fascinated by the new concept.
The author explains aspects of mythology very well to a novice. The new terms were explained and shown so I was not confused. Some of the names of the deities were odd, but the author kept them distinct for the most part.
This book has a very interesting and fast
Vishnu Brahmandam
Aug 04, 2014 Vishnu Brahmandam rated it really liked it
Shelves: indian-authors
After reading all of the Percy Jackson series and series linked to that (still eagerly waiting for next books) I didn't know if I would like this book.
- The actual reason I picked this book was because it seemed like a Percy Jackson book but with Indian mythology and let me say I wasn't dissapointed :D
Okay so even though the book lays too much attention on the main character Ash as compared to his sister {who i thought should have had much much more attention(so much unlike Percy Jackson)} it w
Dave Cousins
May 11, 2012 Dave Cousins rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this – a classic adventure story in the tradition of Indiana Jones. Apart from the superb sense of location, believable characters (both good and truly evil) what I liked most, and what set this book above so many other adventure stories, is the way that Ash stayed rooted in reality. Even fighting demons, he still managed to react, and for the most part behave, like a normal, slightly overweight, teenage boy! Great stuff.
Q
DNF at 40%. Invoked my newish rule: If you don't really like the book, you don't need to spend your limited reading time on it. Here the setting and premise were cool, but the voice was the kind of MG that just doesn't work for me these days.
Jana
May 20, 2016 Jana rated it really liked it
Awesome book for fans of Rick Riordan. It's a mythological middle grade read focusing on Indian mythology, something I hadn't ever read before and absolutely loved!
Guinevere Thomas
So Libby is immersing herself in the world that is "Percy Jackson." Have to say Im a little jealous, because she knows Im a big fantasy buff, especially with the YA category. While Im attracted to the series, what steers me from it for the time being, is that it takes until the "Heroes of Olympus" for characters of color to be a main focus.

I was looking for a book series that gave me people of color of my heroes now!

It just so happened, as my sister was reading it, she fell upon this after rese
Antoine Kupfer
Nov 05, 2016 Antoine Kupfer rated it it was amazing
This novel is fantastic; this is why it is rated five stars. The story takes place in India where the protagonist Ash Mistry and his sister Lucky are on summer vacation over at their uncle’s house. His uncle is not very wealthy compared to his father that lives in Britain. Ash’s father sent money to his brother every month; his uncle worked hard, but he wasn’t very successful at life. One day someone named Savage offered two million pounds to his uncle for him to help him figure out olden ...more
78sunny
Aug 23, 2013 78sunny rated it it was amazing
*Meinung:*
Dies ist für mich ja eher eine ungewöhnliche Buch/Hörbuchwahl. Abenteuer liegen mir grundsätzlich nicht so, aber hier sprach mich einfach das Cover sehr an und wenn ich was von Dämonen lese, ist mein Interesse sowieso geweckt. Das Stefan Kaminsky das Buch spricht, war dann die endgültige Entscheidungshilfe.

Voller Motivation legte ich die erste CD in meinen tragbaren CD/MP3 Player ein und erlitt eine herbe Enttäuschung. Die CD wurde nicht erkannt – keine der 4. Also musst ich das Hörbu
Deviki
Hell Yeah!!……..LOL
Like India….Bollywood/Kollywood ….whatever wood ….why haven’t you picked up on this yet??? You could have made your very own kick arse Indian Harry Potter ish movie right here homie !! (and for the love of god please DO NOT INCLUDE any dance duet in the middle of the movie)
Oh gosh so many awesome things you could play with and make this EPIC !!! Younger generation (including myself) know that we (Hindus) have pretty cool god and goddess but most of us tend to overlook that bec
Florian
Oct 06, 2016 Florian rated it it was ok
So, I liked the tone and style, as well as the use of scenery in this book. Sadly, that's about it. The plot was quite predictable (though at least solidly built and equipped with a good climax), and the protagonist wholly unlikeable to me - constantly complaining, constantly making mindlessly bad choices, and constantly behaving both ungrateful and ridiculously hormonal. The whole story was riddled with clichés, from a drunk airplane pilot straight out of adventure flick XY to a ghastly ...more
Liz Friend
The story: When Ash Mistry went to visit family in India, he never dreamed that the demons and ghosts of ancient Indian mythology could possibly be real. He never dreamed that he could have a personal connection to the great Indian warrior Rama--or that the connection would extend to the most evil creature of all time: the demon king, Ravana. But just because you don't know something doesn't mean it can't hurt you…

June Cleaver's ratings: Language PG; Nudity G; Sexual content PG; Violence PG-13;
Paula Howard
Nov 08, 2016 Paula Howard rated it it was amazing
Ash is visiting his Aunt and Uncle in India for the summer. By accident he finds a gold arrowhead. Lord Savage arranges for the murder of Ash's aunt and uncle and then goes after Ash and his sister, Lucks.

The gods and monsters of India's mythology comes alive. Gives kids an opportunity to read about mythology that isn't Greek, Roman, or Norse.

Grabs you at the beginning and the roller coaster doesn't stop.
Li
Nov 04, 2016 Li rated it it was ok
Appreciated the use of Hindu mythology and India settings, but the plot and characters were too formulaic for me.
Sara
Nov 13, 2016 Sara rated it it was ok
2.5 /5 it was ... meh
Kent Kauffman
Oct 20, 2016 Kent Kauffman rated it it was ok
Written for the teenage crowd, I didn't finish it
Battle of the Boo...: The Savage Fortress by Sarwat Chadda 1 2 Oct 25, 2014 07:39PM
Week 2 conflict by Swarnim Ranjan 1 3 Sep 26, 2013 03:15PM
  • Geeks, Girls and Secret Identities
  • Summer of the Mariposas
  • Project X-Calibur
  • The Chosen Prince
  • Vanished
  • Renegade Magic (Kat, Incorrigible, #2)
  • The Path of Names
  • Deadweather and Sunrise (The Chronicles of Egg, #1)
  • Claws
  • Tide (Sarah Midnight, #2)
  • The Tinker King (The Unnaturalists, #2)
  • Jack Plank Tells Tales
  • Dead City (Dead City, #1)
  • The Wizard of Dark Street  (Oona Crate Mystery, #1)
  • In Harm's Way
  • Tut: The Story of My Immortal Life (Tut: My Immortal Life #1)
  • Jasmine Skies
  • Iris, Messenger
Sarwat Chadda has lived and traveled throughout the world, from China to Guatemala. He’s been lost in Mongolia, abandoned at a volcano in Nicaragua and hidden up a tree from a rhino in Nepal. Not to mention being detained by Homeland Security in the US and chased around Tibet by the Chinese police. Maybe he just has that sort of face.

Anyway, now he’s trying to settle in one place and stay out of t
More about Sarwat Chadda...

Ash Mistry Chronicles (3 books)
  • Ash Mistry and the City of Death (Ash Mistry Chronicles, #2)
  • Ash Mistry and the World of Darkness (Ash Mistry Chronicles, #3)