Shades

Shades

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  139 ratings  ·  7 reviews
St Matthias Mission 1902: 'There are men who know that when you are finished with this war of yours and have raised your flag to the glory of your Empire - the one that we, as black men, are supposed to revere for having bestowed on us education, faith, prosperity and all the other high-sounding gifts - that you will sell us out - perhaps against the advance of metaphorica...more
Published October 31st 1994 by The Penguin Group (SA) (Pty) Ltd (first published 1993)

Yvonne Eloise
This was at first a horrible, horrible book to read. It truly was an awful set-work book. But then I finished reading it. Not only does it have a beautiful ending, which still gives me butterflies years later, but when I just took a step back and really thought through the intricate details and nuances of the book as a whole, I fell in love with the novel. Head-over-heels in love.
Pamela
Loved this book. Considering I hated history at school, I now love books that give glimpses into how life was lived in a different time period and how things that happend then can be seen in todays society.
Sindie
I read this book twice, it was one of our setwork books in high school and I read it on my matric year in 2005 and a few years later. I remember clearly how well I did in the final examination because of how much I loved this book.

A very well told story of love, life and loss; it best chronicles the history in a land of my grandfathers, as it is set where my grandparents lived. I almost felt like I relived most of it, as I recognised some of the landmarks that were narrated in the story.

If I cou...more
Nina
Loved it!
Del
I find it difficult to review books I love. I read this book in High School. At first I found it tedious and slow and oh so boring. Until suddenly, I couldn’t out it down. And that ending! Goddamnit.
Shubha
studied it at high school. thought reading was boring,no it was just this book. didn't like that 18 yr old falling for 30 something yr old n vise versa!!!!
Mota
an amazing story.
Kathleen
Kathleen marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Carmen
Carmen added it
Aug 13, 2014
Kirsten Mcfadyen
Kirsten Mcfadyen marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Ameenah Dela
Ameenah Dela marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Joan
Joan marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Lilly
Lilly marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Siyanda Magubane
Siyanda Magubane marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Carise
Carise marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Iron Love Recessional for Grace Taken Captive by Birds Train To Doringbult Shadow of the Wild Hare